Author Topic: Lurkers cafe build  (Read 29803 times)

guzzigray

Re: Lurkers cafe build
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2015, 08:04:49 PM »
I'm uh.. pretty sure.. ;D the battery plate is important..

Lino thought so.

Online spmoto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2015, 08:57:40 PM »
As important, if not more, than the lower frame rails. In fact the lower rails can be eliminated with the use of a sufficiently robust battery plate. I think if you look closely at samples of Guzzi café bikes and racers you won't find any without the plate.

trumps

« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2015, 09:45:37 AM »
Ok...Ok... you have all talked me into it ;) i had some 5mm Ali plate left over from making my gauge surround and have cut out a support to replace the battery tray. just have to make up some new frame tabs and weld them in. exhaust has made it to Oz according to the postal tracking number, and my main man is busy smothing out any imperfections on the tank before painting it, getting there!

>:(

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2015, 06:40:46 PM »
Sweet build.

Somehow, I never find the right combination of skill and patience to make my electrics look that good.
Good thing I'm covering most of it back up with the stock fairings.
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2015, 06:40:46 PM »

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2015, 09:34:08 AM »
Can someone elucidate  as to the why's and how's of the plate?  I understand it's to stiffen the frame-what exactly needs reinforcing?
 My battery currently resides under to motor.

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2015, 09:46:49 AM »
Can someone elucidate  as to the why's and how's of the plate?  I understand it's to stiffen the frame-what exactly needs reinforcing?
if you can imagine the original mounting points for the drivetrain, this completes the motor/tranny as "one with the frame".  It also makes the frame stiffer, vs. a "floating drivetrain"   But I'm still learning about Guzzi's

Offline Pancake

• Gosling
    • www.dominicsnow.com
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2015, 01:19:32 PM »

I can't answer that exactly but in the process fop replacing my original steel plate, which had a big crack in it, I noticed the ovalled holes, demonstrating the movement that this plate had regularly undergone from cornering etc .

When I tried to line up my nice new 6mm aluminium plate I found that the holes did not line up properly. Naturally I blamed the manufacture of the plate...But I was wrong (put straight by the people on this forum), the plate was fine but the frame had twisted a little. With a little jiggery pokery with the frame I eventually got the holes to line up, helped in great part by the fact that the holes and bolts were countersunk, which pulled it into place.

The handling was greatly improved and my feeling is that the plate controls side to side movement of the frame in relation to the engine. Later frames, I believe, have and additional brace which fixes onto the engine assembly with the gearbox mountings.
May all beings be happy

Fangit

« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2015, 08:37:52 AM »
Very nice build Trumps! I am building something very similar from a 1000SP also. I am wanting to get a sump spacer or an outsider spacer or deeper sump. I have what might be a dumb question. With the plain spacer do you need to remove/replace two sump gaskets every time you do a filter change or is the spacer held in place independently from the sump?

Cheers Joe.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2015, 09:22:27 AM »
My T5 came with a sump spacer.  It uses two gaskets.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2015, 10:11:26 AM »
My Mille too, and the spacer is not bolted on separately, it all comes off when you take the bolts out.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2015, 11:56:32 AM »
Yep, which can make for a juggling act when trying to bolt it back up  :)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2015, 02:16:21 PM »
Very nice build Trumps! I am building something very similar from a 1000SP also. I am wanting to get a sump spacer or an outsider spacer or deeper sump. I have what might be a dumb question. With the plain spacer do you need to remove/replace two sump gaskets every time you do a filter change or is the spacer held in place independently from the sump?

Cheers Joe.

nice bike!

Fangit

« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2015, 06:37:09 PM »
Yep, which can make for a juggling act when trying to bolt it back up  :)

Thanks gents. That sounds like a royal pain in the buttocks.

Offline brenwin

• Easy does it .
  • Gosling
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2015, 09:31:59 PM »

Cheers Joe.

I'm drooling guys , beautiful workmanship , more like works of art . What a way to ride ! Thanks .
2015 Griso 1200SE
2004 V11 Ballabio (red)
1973 Eldorado

trumps

« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2015, 02:04:08 AM »
Thats a beauty Fangit, classy build! I am pretty much done with mine, just need to bleed the brakes, fit fuel lines, and battery, then it's time for the road, and some tuning, looking forward to it. Might get the seat re upholstered in a different colour as well, maybe red, or black, undecided!

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2015, 05:42:48 AM »
Looking nice Trumps! ;-T

Is it the photo or do the carbs have quite an angle on them?
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Fangit

« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2015, 07:56:22 AM »
Thats a beauty Fangit, classy build! I am pretty much done with mine, just need to bleed the brakes, fit fuel lines, and battery, then it's time for the road, and some tuning, looking forward to it. Might get the seat re upholstered in a different colour as well, maybe red, or black, undecided!

Thanks Trumps. Your build is coming along very nicely, well done. Yes, not sure about the brown seat. What sort of exhaust system is that and where did you get it from?

trumps

« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2015, 09:56:11 AM »
G'day Muzz, Yup, the carbs need to be squared up yet. Fangit, the system is from HTMOTO, Lovely bit of pipework it is too, was worth waiting for!

trumps

« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2015, 01:19:10 AM »
Got 1000Kms on the ol girl now, going like a train, will get her on the dyno in the next few weeks to finalize the jetting, though it feels pretty close, and a bit of time dialing in the suspension, am thinking the SP dual rate springs might be a bit stiff for her now with the reduction in weight. had a couple of good head shakes over some of our less than perfect back roads the other day.

https://youtu.be/FNiUSxsQs5U

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2015, 10:06:24 AM »
I like the seat, but I'm into tan seats. Red seems too gaudy to me. Bike looks fantastic. I'd put the idle up a good few ticks as its living on the edge currently. One things for sure, it's running evenly if it can stay afloat that low. Move from lumpy to smooth. Excellent job.  :thumb:

Edit: I could be off base here, but oil pressure always concerns me when I hear a bike on the verge of stall.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 10:11:25 AM by kevdog3019 »
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

canuck750

« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2015, 12:00:32 PM »

Stunning  :bow: :bow:

You have nailed it with the paint scheme, front fender and headlight, great looking seat as well. I like the matte black, its not in your face screaming red Italian or polished aluminum, very moody and stealthy.

Well done :thumb:

Cheers

Jim

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2015, 01:02:33 PM »
You probably know, but on the street you can run the Uni filters without the coarse red prefilters.  The bike would certainly look different without the red spots.  Whether that would be better or worse is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose.

I'd be proud to own and ride that Guzzi.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 01:03:06 PM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2015, 01:54:34 PM »
the only thing I might consider changing, would be to bob the front fender to match the back fender

nunzio

« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2015, 02:52:03 PM »
I think a red seat to match her red socks would look nice.....Matching Cuffs and Collar you know.
Then name her "Ginger" and you'd be set.  :thumb:

Alan

trumps

« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2015, 07:22:09 PM »
Cheers all,  Kevdog, when she has warmed up the idle lifts a bit to a rock solid 1100rpm. Triple Jim, in the end i decided to go with a set of K&N's, although i prefer the filtering ability of the UNI's the oiled K&N's fit better, and will still be up to the job for street use. NCAmother, i was seriously considering trimming up the front guard, but decided i quite liked the look of the full length guard on this one, and the rolled lip front and rear, matched well with the lip on the Honda guard i am using at the back end. Tan seat eh, second time that has been suggested, i need to see an upholsterer, and lay some swatches over it, see it in the flesh, i am shocking with colours, just can't visualize them ;)

Offline Rich M

• Hatchling
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2015, 08:06:51 PM »
Thanks for sharing the build history....

That's a gorgeous Guzzi....
2003 California Titanium
Moto Guzzi Watch #052
MGNOC L-837

Formally known as Lyman1114

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2015, 08:30:42 PM »
Cheers all,  Kevdog, when she has warmed up the idle lifts a bit to a rock solid 1100rpm. Triple Jim, in the end i decided to go with a set of K&N's, although i prefer the filtering ability of the UNI's the oiled K&N's fit better, and will still be up to the job for street use. NCAmother, i was seriously considering trimming up the front guard, but decided i quite liked the look of the full length guard on this one, and the rolled lip front and rear, matched well with the lip on the Honda guard i am using at the back end. Tan seat eh, second time that has been suggested, i need to see an upholsterer, and lay some swatches over it, see it in the flesh, i am shocking with colours, just can't visualize them ;)

Cheers to ya mate.  I picked up that honda rear fender you used on your bike, really great fit brother!!!!!!

trumps

« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2015, 02:11:43 AM »
Glad you found one mate, took some scrounging through the wreckers over here, but slots into the rear frame rails just nicely ;)

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2015, 11:10:54 AM »
Brown seat works. If anything, more of a burnt sienna (redder, darker); killer color (being a tenni griso owner I may be a tad biased).  :bow:
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2015, 11:33:49 AM »
That is awesome. I love the exhast. Just great work all around!
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here