Author Topic: Looking for value on several old bikes with zero miles. "Barn find"  (Read 31262 times)

Offline mgfan

• Gosling
  • Escaping the "home"
Re: Looking for value on several old bikes with zero miles. "Barn find"
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2014, 05:09:16 PM »
I've never been to Indiana, I think I'll go now!   :BEER:
70 Ambassador, 74 Eldorado,  76 I-Convert, 71 Police Ambassador, 86 Califonia II, 90 California III, 03 Stone, 07 Norge

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2014, 05:23:48 PM »
500 GTL!  Woo, Hoo!

http://www.ducatinewstoday.com/2010/02/ducati-disasters-the-parallel-twins/

I've seen one running around my side of town (East Memphis) but not recently.  And to answer the other question, yes, there was a 500 Pantah!

http://www.duc.org/blog/wallpaper/44.html

Tobit
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2014, 06:51:37 PM »

I believe the Nigusil cylinders on SPNTs started in `83.  A LM III should have Nig. cylinders.

Nigusil cylinders on 1000 SPs started at engine number 215000.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2014, 06:59:44 PM »
I've seen one running around my side of town (East Memphis) but not recently.  And to answer the other question, yes, there was a 500 Pantah!

http://www.duc.org/blog/wallpaper/44.html

Tobit

But, the 500 Pantah was an L-twin, not a vertical twin like the 500 GTL. The guy I bought my Elefant from has a 500 Sport Desmo. He seems to like the odd-ball Ducatis.
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2014, 06:59:44 PM »

Offline MotoGuzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2014, 07:39:03 PM »
Why is the girl that's sitting on the front fender holding a jacket in front of her?   She probably needs to repeat a course or two in modeling school.

Lannis

I think its just the way her dress looks at that particular angle.

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2014, 07:57:13 PM »
Maybe she forgot to put her knickers on...   ;D
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2014, 08:10:26 PM »
I thought it was an interesting contrast.  You gotta remember these were times when modesty was a virtue, and those are some risky-q outfits for the day.  Several of the shyer girls are wearing opaque skirts.  The brave ones are wearing sheer.

oldbike54

« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2014, 08:18:18 PM »
I thought it was an interesting contrast.  You gotta remember these were times when modesty was a virtue, and those are some risky-q outfits for the day.  Several of the shyer girls are wearing opaque skirts.  The brave ones are wearing sheer.

Yeah , but some of those crowns bear a strong resemblance to the crown the devil wore in some weird sci fi flick .
"Could it be...?"  :D
  Dusty

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
Re:
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2014, 01:41:17 PM »
I went and looked at the bikes today. As expected they were covered in dust not showing any signs of being moved in 30+ years. The V50 has 2 miles on it I could not get the has cap of but the bike looked OK. The V7 Sport has 4000 miles, both handle bars are bent, the fork stop has been rewelded and while the head fins are good, the is one fine broken from the right valve cover. Paint good seat good nice enough. The G5 has 20 miles, the front master has no pressure, it has bags and civilian bars, the SP has 23 miles, it's all there small chip in the fairing. These four bikes have been sitting in the office so climate controlled but exposed to sunlight. The convert and the Ducati were in the shop under covers. The convert had 23 miles on it the side covers were missing and had some oxidation. The Duc has 12000 miles and is a GTL. her asking price for the lot is way out of line. I made an offer and gave her my card. She does not want to sell them one at a time, all or nothing.
Joe Walano

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2014, 01:49:25 PM »
I think the value of that V7 just got halved....
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2014, 01:59:15 PM »
Bummer that she won't break up the set.  That's a lot of risk for one guy to take unless his plan was to part them all out.  Maybe you interested folks need to form a group and work together to get them.

PS -- I'm not  player.

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2014, 06:19:11 PM »
I think the value of that V7 just got halved....
I agree, I thought originally it was a mew, zero miles bike. I figured it would easily bring high teens maybe even low twenties. This bike is in very similar condition to the 73 a friend bought this summer. That bike had 7200 miles, didn't run but all original. He put about 3000.00 into it including, Nikisil cylinder coatings, rings, gaskets, rod bearings, tires and tubes, cables and a battery. It did start to leak oil from the rear main seal after just a few hundred miles. He paid 10k for that one.
Joe Walano

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re:
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2014, 06:57:47 PM »
covered in dust not showing any signs of being moved in 30+ years.

her asking price for the lot is way out of line.

She does not want to sell them one at a time, all or nothing.

Good indication of why they've been there for 30 years.  And, also a good indication that they will continue to sit there...

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2014, 07:26:30 PM »
Sadly true... A lot of people can't admit that stuff depreciates. I know of a Quota and a 750 Breva that are still on MSOs, and the Quota isn't even advertised for sale.
Guzzi: Quota with Motorvation 'hack
BMWs: F800S, R100GS, R80ST with Motorvation Spyder 'hack, R65LS
Hacks: Motovation Spyder and Formula II
Buell: M2L, RIP Buell Motors Corporation
Yamaha: MX250 $25 auction find, "static display" for now, XS650 "on loan" from my brother, 'nother "static displa

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2014, 07:33:16 PM »
I agree, I thought originally it was a mew, zero miles bike. I figured it would easily bring high teens maybe even low twenties. This bike is in very similar condition to the 73 a friend bought this summer. That bike had 7200 miles, didn't run but all original. He put about 3000.00 into it including, Nikisil cylinder coatings, rings, gaskets, rod bearings, tires and tubes, cables and a battery. It did start to leak oil from the rear main seal after just a few hundred miles. He paid 10k for that one.

Maybe stay in touch and keep checking .... usually, if a relative has inherited an old bike or a collection of old bikes, some friend has already told them "That's a collector item, worth a fortune, don't let anyone talk you out of that unless they pay what it's worth."

Saw that with a dusty old 1962 BSA Star.   Original bike in good shape, not running, tinware nice, needed a complete teardown and redo.   Maybe worth $1800 - $2000 as it sat, maybe $7000 fully restored, being a first year A65.    Widow was told it was worth $8000 at least as is, don't take a penny less.   

Several of us in the club talked to her about it, gently let her know what it was worth.   Took a year for her to realize that we did not speak with forked tongue.   Finally, one of the boys went by with a trailer and $1800 cash and left with it.

So you should endeavor to persevere ....

Lannis   
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2014, 08:06:14 PM »
Maybe stay in touch and keep checking .... usually, if a relative has inherited an old bike or a collection of old bikes, some friend has already told them "That's a collector item, worth a fortune, don't let anyone talk you out of that unless they pay what it's worth."

Saw that with a dusty old 1962 BSA Star.   Original bike in good shape, not running, tinware nice, needed a complete teardown and redo.   Maybe worth $1800 - $2000 as it sat, maybe $7000 fully restored, being a first year A65.    Widow was told it was worth $8000 at least as is, don't take a penny less.   

Several of us in the club talked to her about it, gently let her know what it was worth.   Took a year for her to realize that we did not speak with forked tongue.   Finally, one of the boys went by with a trailer and $1800 cash and left with it.

So you should endeavor to persevere ....

Lannis   
I made a generous realistic offer, her daughter was there and my buddy got the idea that she thought her mother's asking price was too high. I knew what her asking price was before I went there. My goal today was to see what she had and start a dialog. I'm sure she's been approached before. The fact is, these bikes are gaining in popularity and value, I'd like to see these bikes out on the road being enjoyed rather than sinking into the linoleum. I'll keep in contact and hope she changes her mind. In the meantime, save your quarters boys!
Joe Walano

Offline AH Fan

• Gaggle Mentor
  • small stable of Italian stuff
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2014, 08:11:42 PM »
Love hearing this stuff about finds........... I've heard it a few other times... low mileage pristine condition turns into Not that.
That being said, Would love to hear something like that about a Rosso Mandello  ::) anyone?

PM me though.  ;D

crc

« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2014, 09:46:18 PM »
so joe what is her asking price?

canuck750

« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2014, 09:54:50 PM »
I made a generous realistic offer, her daughter was there and my buddy got the idea that she thought her mother's asking price was too high. I knew what her asking price was before I went there. My goal today was to see what she had and start a dialog. I'm sure she's been approached before. The fact is, these bikes are gaining in popularity and value, I'd like to see these bikes out on the road being enjoyed rather than sinking into the linoleum. I'll keep in contact and hope she changes her mind. In the meantime, save your quarters boys!

Keep at it Joe, sounds like she is starting to realize that the collection is not worth the $40K she thought it was. The original description stated the V7 Sport was a zero mile bike, now that it's confirmed to be a low mile used bike, and one that has not been properly stored, it sounds like a $10K bike tops, by the time it is re-commissioned another $4K minimum will disappear. The rest of the bikes, though very low mileage don't appear to be worth a lot of money. I think the seller would be doing very well to get $20K for the lot, even $17K would be a fair sale. I hope you can make a deal, its a shame to see those once proud machines collecting more dust and developing dry rot.

Jim

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2014, 10:19:56 PM »
Keep at it Joe, sounds like she is starting to realize that the collection is not worth the $40K she thought it was. The original description stated the V7 Sport was a zero mile bike, now that it's confirmed to be a low mile used bike, and one that has not been properly stored, it sounds like a $10K bike tops, by the time it is re-commissioned another $4K minimum will disappear. The rest of the bikes, though very low mileage don't appear to be worth a lot of money. I think the seller would be doing very well to get $20K for the lot, even $17K would be a fair sale. I hope you can make a deal, its a shame to see those once proud machines collecting more dust and developing dry rot.

Jim

All that glitters is not gold.........where is dtosh?
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2014, 10:38:20 PM »
All that glitters is not gold.........where is dtosh?
Dave was kind enough to turn this over to me. As he said, he was helping a friend and really knows very little about Moto Guzzis. He said she had that figure in her head when he first talked to her about these bikes. She feels that these bikes are worth 40k retail and that's what she wants. Today she and I talked about realistic retail prices for the bikes, which I stressed was less than 40k. I also explained, trying my best not to sound condescending, that if she wants to sell the lot she'd have to sell at a wholesale price. That's what I offered her for the six bikes.
Joe Walano

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2014, 11:48:51 PM »
Didn't they make the Pantah in a 500 too?

Which went on to be the basis of the belt driven two valve motors, although most likely to be NOS is the parallel twin.

Offline Rotten Ralph

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2014, 06:51:10 AM »
If she really wants to sell why doesn't she get an independent appraisal? ??? ??? That's what families do who inherit firearms, coins, etc. and have no true idea of the value.
Never trust a dog to guard your food

03 HD RK / TLE car
65 BMW R69S
60 BSA Gold Star
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Special

Offline dsrdave

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2014, 07:11:27 AM »
There's a HUGE difference in value between 4 miles and 4K miles.  On the bright side the V7 could be ridden occasionally without affecting value much.  After all these bike are built to be ridden, if it had only 4 miles or so I don't think I could bring myself to riding the bike on a regular basis.  After a very complete restoration I still ride my bikes.  I have enough of them to keep the miles to a minimum and a couple of workhorse bikes that I don't care about miles on.  Good luck with the purchase, I hope it works out well for everyone.
2-850T, 2-1000 convert/hacked, V11 sport, V50, centauro, '97 sport 1100, '71 V7 ambo, '76 850 Lemans,CX100,"83 LM III,1000SE, '91 LM V, '07 Griso, '53 super alce,moto parilla, zigolo, Lodola 175, Lodola 235,  '07 norge, '67 stornello, 57galletto, Nuovo Falcone, stornello ISDT, 52 Airone sport

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2014, 07:38:34 AM »
If she really wants to sell why doesn't she get an independent appraisal? ??? ??? That's what families do who inherit firearms, coins, etc. and have no true idea of the value.

Because those cost money.  It's a lot cheaper to just ask us (and then ignore us when she doesn't like what she hears).

IMO, $15K for the lot would be fair; $20K, generous.
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2014, 07:46:20 AM »
Ok, I'll ask.. How much is the wife trying to get for the lot? Can the amount be revealed yet? Cause my curiosity is up there with the cats', and we all know what happens to the cat! Are these things title-able?

1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline maquette

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2014, 07:52:53 AM »
Hope this isn't the same woman I tried to buy a sidestand for my SP from a couple of years ago. She took my money, but I never got the sidestand. Took me a few months to get my money back. Just curious.

Tom
Tom
Oriental, NC

'98 V11 EV

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: Re: Re: Looking for value on several old bikes with zero miles. "Barn find"
« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2014, 07:53:38 AM »

Ok, I'll ask.. How much is the wife trying to get for the lot? Can the amount be revealed yet? Cause my curiosity is up there with the cats', and we all know what happens to the cat! Are these things title-able?

Post 84. $40k  for the lot:

Dave was kind enough to turn this over to me. As he said, he was helping a friend and really knows very little about Moto Guzzis. He said she had that figure in her head when he first talked to her about these bikes. She feels that these bikes are worth 40k retail and that's what she wants. Today she and I talked about realistic retail prices for the bikes, which I stressed was less than 40k. I also explained, trying my best not to sound condescending, that if she wants to sell the lot she'd have to sell at a wholesale price. That's what I offered her for the six bikes.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 08:15:39 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2014, 08:10:26 AM »
Often times, when things seem too good to be true, they aren't. Joe pulled the covers off this treasure find and revealed the reality of what's there.  It's still an interesting trove of bikes but the owner has unrealistic expectations of value. That is a common scenario in these circumstances.

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2014, 08:24:08 AM »
For 40k, wouldn't you be better off buying 4 new crated Guzzi and put them in your barn?

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here