Author Topic: Naked Speed (Cafe Racer)  (Read 29110 times)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Naked Speed (Cafe Racer)
« on: February 04, 2015, 09:58:50 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2jF7BqjHBA

http://www.velocity.com/tv-shows/naked-speed/

Anyone see this show?  Mike Seate has updated the "Cafe Racer" show as "Naked Speed".  It's a one hour show with builds of hopped up and stripped down bikes.  Show also features Bryan Fuller and the Bostroms.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 10:00:35 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Vasco DG

Re: Naked Speed (Cafe Racer)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 02:07:51 AM »
I really don't know if I can stand much more of this! It's becoming a huge, disgusting, pandemic, black hole of awful! I may just go bonkers and run amok with a chainsaw!

Pete

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 07:25:30 AM »
I wanna puke....

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 07:39:06 AM »
I stayed up last night and watched it.  Well I watched parts of it and the rest of the time I was watching my eyelids.

The two bikes were a barn find (actually an old school bus body) Commando 750 and some sort of hacked up Monster.  The most exciting part of the Commando was whether or not the new owner was going to come back after his first ride.  The hacked up Monster was prepped for a Salt Flats run complete with turbos.  The guy had a high speed wobble on the second pass and didn't ride through it.  Another rider got it up to 150+.  As I woke back up I was thinking to myself about how many bikes I've seen doing at least that on I-20 in Atlanta.

With a new show you need to lead with your best punch.  If that's all they've got then I won't bother staying awake next week.

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 07:39:06 AM »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 07:48:08 AM »
I don't have a problem with it, as long as they aren't cutting up some rare antique bike. I've posted a picture of my friend Kevin's (18 years old) very nice cafe of a Honda 4. My kid is doing a cafe on a beater T because he loves Guzzis. *That* bike wasn't worth restoring.. now, or in the future. He's a great mechanic/fabricator, and it won't be one of those cobbled up turds that many people call "cafe racers."
For the most part, I agree with you though, Pete..  ;D :BEER:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 08:23:26 AM »
I don't know about the show but I do know Kenny Cummings from NYC Norton. He is a very serious enthusiasts who makes his living from restoring Nortons.
http://nycnorton.com/nyc_bikes/1971-commando-school-bus-bike/

1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 08:34:57 AM »
I didn't mind the Ducati Bonneville build, an 07 Monster is not a rare bike. I enjoy that shop's ingenuity and I'm envious of their fabrication skills. But, 150 was a little short of their goal, maybe next attempt will be better. FWIW there is a Kawasaki 750 triple in my shop that did 157 on the flats in 1974! What bothered me last night was taking that 100% complete and original Norton and customizing it, really? Last week they featured a CB750 Honda that was picked from a scrap yard, that's a cool thing to do but, destroying a classic bike?  It just passes me off!
Joe Walano

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 08:55:25 AM »
I used to look at old bikes and old cars in some sort of sacred religious way.

I certainly do appreciate those who take the time to maintain or restore classics.

But I don't have the angst about cutting them up for something cool anymore, well not unless it's something super rare.

And if you're gonna cut up a classic bike, well, you could do much worse than make a Café Racer... I mean, I REALLY don't like Choppers... I can appreciate a well-done bobber... but a Café IS at least arguably increasing performance/function, and I can dig that.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jetmechmarty

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 09:04:53 AM »
... but a Café IS at least arguably increasing performance/function, and I can dig that.

Me too!  If it's done right.  Cafe racers are what Honda CB's and Yamaha XS's are for!  I have seen some nicely done Guzzis.  At least, in the visual sense.
Marty (in Mississippi)
No Guzzi right now

Online steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 09:13:41 AM »
 And on the Norton, they didn't seem to have chopped up the frame so it could always go back to stock, though I really liked the way it came out.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 09:34:14 AM »
Me too!  If it's done right.  Cafe racers are what Honda CB's and Yamaha XS's are for!  I have seen some nicely done Guzzis.  At least, in the visual sense.

My neighbor's build:

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Penderic

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 09:54:29 AM »
 ??? Doesn't everybody enjoy watching a TV show that turns a old stock bike into something really useful, or beautiful or ahem... exceptional?

cough cough
 ::)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:59:16 AM by Penderic »

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 09:58:58 AM »
Oh how I yearn for a motorcycle show like "Motoworld!" to come back.   Give me bike reviews, trail tips, tech tips, and diverse moto event coverage.  I'm done with the new "motorcycle show".

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 10:17:12 AM »

But I don't have the angst about cutting them up for something cool anymore, well not unless it's something super rare.

Norton's of that period are not exactly super collectible, certainly worth more than a T or T3 but nothing like the Norton production racer's.

Or the 20M3:
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 10:34:15 AM »
While Im a sucker for almost anything motorcycle on the tube and will continue to watch I find this show almost boring. The whole chop up some bike and make something cool has been done a million times and just like the chopper shows of a few years ago they all start to look the same.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 12:51:56 PM »
I like the show.  They are Guzzi friendly too.  Mike was at the National a few years back. 

The Norton was a beauty.  They had no chance making that Monster run 200.  Basically what they are doing on the show is what we see on the board with some regularity.  So far, I didn't see a bike that wasn't improved- other than that Ducati but heck, it as only a Ducati. 
 ;D
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Penderic

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 01:33:59 PM »
The shows are mostly similar products and share the same formula. The current interesting stuff is rarely shown outside a limited commercial market - it is usually a big race or sponsored event.

But I bet there is a lot of good motorcycle themed non-racing stuff recorded by good amateurs that never gets shown. (Although there are enough hours of endless straight roads already!)

Someone will probably develop an iphone application for gathering and stitching all the good amateur clips into a series of podcasts or a tube channel.

Something new connected to motorcycles is happening every day!

Unique ideas!

and so on.

The sugar cruiser cake making channel! :drool

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 01:37:34 PM »
I agree with KevM on this one. My formerly trashed (bodywork) Lario hopped up and improved in just about every practical aspect. Some will never understand why I did this to a rather rare beast. If you rode this one and my stock one you'd understand very clearly. I really don't care what people do to THEIR bike. I see more people selling bikes because they aren't willing to make changes than people who make changes to a bike to fit them. If it moves you so be it. I've learned that stock at best is a starting point.  

Chopped:

Stock:

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 04:37:22 PM by kevdog3019 »
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 09:47:48 PM »
Here's an idea, every time some one does one of these episodes Roper shows up at the end with a chainsaw and chops it up. :BEER:
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 10:00:12 PM »
Or slaps the builder across the chops with a rubber chicken!
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Vasco DG

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2015, 03:10:19 AM »
I'll keep saying it until I'm blue in the tits! Anyone can do any damn thing they like with their property. I just hate people chopping up perfectly good motorbikes BADLY because of some stupid fad that has been hitched on to by talentless beardies and their sycophants.

If you want to practice on a canvas pick something shitty that nobody cares about and refine your 'Craft'. The problem with that is that by the time you have actually learnt enough about what you are trying to achieve the 'Trend' will of died and the end result will be a lot of un-recoverable munt that is essentially irreplaceable.

In a totally disposable society I suppose that doesn't matter, but they aren't building short head Tonti's any more and they aren't inexhaustable in number. I just hate seeing them butchered by idiots.

If you want a 'Cafe Racer' build it out of a bit of shit nobody cares about. The people you're trying to impress won't know what it is. If you want the kudos of a venerable name? Just grind off the whatever it is badge and stick a Moto Guzzi or Laverda or Triumph or whatever badge on it. In fact why stop there? Stick your OWN name on it! That will really impress! It's really not important. I just know that in three years time there will be significantly fewer decent Guzzis available because a lot of them will of been chopped up and abandoned by morons.

Pete

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2015, 03:56:11 AM »
But really, Pete -- you got an opinion on all this?     :bike

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2015, 07:40:39 AM »
PM me if you want to sell that fairing, Kevin.. I gots money burning a hole in my pocket.. ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2015, 08:17:26 AM »
Already gone Chuck. Been selling some parts to keep other stockers on the road. Got lots more parts though.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2015, 08:23:05 AM »
Dang!  ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline jetmechmarty

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2015, 09:13:20 AM »
Pardon me if this has been posted, but I think it may be appropriate to this thread.

http://vimeo.com/115733204
Marty (in Mississippi)
No Guzzi right now

Offline lc4dakar

• Hatchling
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2015, 09:35:59 AM »
INSPIRING!
1983 V50 III (being cafe'd)
1983 Lemans 3
2007 KTM 525 EXC
1953 Matchless G80C
1960 Lotus 7 (hey, it's a 4 wheel motorcycle!)

Vasco DG

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2015, 11:57:30 AM »
PM me if you want to sell that fairing, Kevin.. I gots money burning a hole in my pocket.. ;D

Bugger. I just gave one away to Rod a few months ago thinking it was a MkIII Le Mans one and I think he said it was Lario. If he hasn't found a use for it yet put a shout out to him, he's a decent sort and will probably flip it on to you. I'll pay postage.

Pete

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2015, 12:17:16 PM »
I'll keep saying it until I'm blue in the tits! Anyone can do any damn thing they like with their property. I just hate people chopping up perfectly good motorbikes BADLY because of some stupid fad that has been hitched on to by talentless beardies and their sycophants.

If you want to practice on a canvas pick something shitty that nobody cares about and refine your 'Craft'. The problem with that is that by the time you have actually learnt enough about what you are trying to achieve the 'Trend' will of died and the end result will be a lot of un-recoverable munt that is essentially irreplaceable.

In a totally disposable society I suppose that doesn't matter, but they aren't building short head Tonti's any more and they aren't inexhaustable in number. I just hate seeing them butchered by idiots.

If you want a 'Cafe Racer' build it out of a bit of shit nobody cares about. The people you're trying to impress won't know what it is. If you want the kudos of a venerable name? Just grind off the whatever it is badge and stick a Moto Guzzi or Laverda or Triumph or whatever badge on it. In fact why stop there? Stick your OWN name on it! That will really impress! It's really not important. I just know that in three years time there will be significantly fewer decent Guzzis available because a lot of them will of been chopped up and abandoned by morons.

Pete

Just kidding Pete, I agree. That's why I am fixing an abused CX that some locals wanted to chop up. Unfortunately the fairing was destroyed but the rest is intact. Putting a round headlight with LM 1 fairing on it for now.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 12:22:00 PM by MMNorth »
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2015, 12:22:41 PM »
Bugger. I just gave one away to Rod a few months ago thinking it was a MkIII Le Mans one and I think he said it was Lario. If he hasn't found a use for it yet put a shout out to him, he's a decent sort and will probably flip it on to you. I'll pay postage.

Pete

Yeah, Rod's a good guy. I'll give him a ping.
No, you won't.  ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here