Author Topic: New to my '14 Griso  (Read 30792 times)

Asylum

Re: New to my '14 Griso
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2015, 02:52:21 PM »

The Griso is not a beginners bike; even the CB1100, which is MUCH easier to ride is not beginners bike (in her case it's the excess weight, not so much the power). But this like closing the barn door after the horse has left the farm. So be very careful. She has enough torque and HP to get you in trouble and into the pearly gates before you know something is amiss.  :P

Now I wanna cry, jk.
I'm not so worried about the weight of the bike since I'm 6' 200 lbs. But I agree that torque and hp is something that can get me in trouble if I'm not careful. I just can't see myself parting with the little beast.

I'd love to get that map which people praise on how well it preforms in the low rpms and city ridding.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 02:54:46 PM by Asylum »

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2015, 02:56:22 PM »
Now I wanna cry, jk.
I'm not so worried about the weight of the bike since I'm 6' 200 lbs. But I agree that torque and hp is something that can get me in trouble if I'm not careful. I just can't see myself parting with the little beast.
If money and space aren't major obstacles, you could easily fit a nice used 250 or 500cc bike into the garage and do some serious low speed maneuverings (including on dirt) with that littler guy.  Within a few months, the Griso will seem less of a beast to handle. (jm 2bits, ymmv)
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Asylum

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2015, 03:04:18 PM »
If money and space aren't major obstacles, you could easily fit a nice used 250 or 500cc bike into the garage and do some serious low speed maneuverings (including on dirt) with that littler guy.  Within a few months, the Griso will seem less of a beast to handle. (jm 2bits, ymmv)

I agree. I may just practice with my woman's sportster for a while. That thing is a breeze to learn on. But ewww, it's a harley :-[

Vasco DG

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2015, 03:18:38 PM »

I'd love to get that map which people praise on how well it preforms in the low rpms and city ridding.

Well get the cables, download the software and we'll send you a map. Simple.

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2015, 03:18:38 PM »

Asylum

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2015, 03:20:26 PM »
Well get the cables, download the software and we'll send you a map. Simple.

Pete

I'm down wit dat Vasco.

Asylum

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2015, 03:38:41 PM »
Just got done with ordering them cables.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2015, 04:01:52 PM »
I agree on the throttle cable adjustment.. It is simple, free & can make a huge difference

Also bear in mind to slip the clutch and keep the revs up beyond what you would with the Harley!

Then just practice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Asylum

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2015, 04:13:39 PM »
I agree on the throttle cable adjustment.. It is simple, free & can make a huge difference

Also bear in mind to slip the clutch and keep the revs up beyond what you would with the Harley!

Then just practice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info and encouragement Mayor ;-T

makarushka

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2015, 05:06:23 PM »
I'd add this:

- When you practice, specifically master dragging the rear brake in low-speed maneuvering. This will also be made much easier with a good map as the off-idle response will be more stable and predictable, and you will not have to modulate the throttle at as high RPMs.

- I found the steering of my Griso -- low speed, in particular -- greatly improved with dropping the front end a bit by raising the forks in the triples. In my case, after a bit of experimentation, I preferred two notches from the stock setting of two, so four notches visible above the triple clamp. This is a personal thing and also dependent on your proportions and weight distribution on the bike, rear shock settings, tire profiles, etc. But it can affect the low- and high-speed handling quite a lot. It's a balance between sharp low speed turn-in vs. oversteer and lack of stability at high speeds. I always tune my bikes for this by dropping the front end (or raising the rear with different length shocks) until low speed turns get really sharp and effortless, then check the high speed straight-line stability and how it turns in at higher speeds. Once I go too far, at higher speeds the bike starts to oversteer and/or "fall" into corners and straight-line stability is compromised; I then back off a bit. For me, on my Griso, that happy setting was four notches visible above the top triple.

If you are a beginning rider it may take a little while to get the sense for this but ironically it's likely have the most effect at the beginner stage especially, as advanced riders will "ride around it" more easily -- just like so many other things :)

There is also a fact that while an amazing handling bike for its size, weight, and wheelbase, the Griso will never have the low speed handling of something shorter, smaller, and 150lbs lighter (talking bikes, at least). It happens to be very capable in this area but it's not where it truly excels. In this regard, technique, practice, and fine-tuning the bike's fueling and geometry will play the biggest role.

You'll be just fine!! :))

Offline triman023

• New Egg
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2015, 05:20:23 PM »
If your throttle cables are adjusted properly and it still snatches, I would look into replacing the map with one of Beetles.
My Griso was snatchy when I got it and the new map really helped smooth things out. I still had to learn the proper throttle
control for this bike. I practice starting out smoothly and its like a different bike now. Riding a heavy bike requires a bit of
awareness so you don't get off to a bad start and I am careful where I stop so I have a good place to put my feet down, no wet leaves
or oil to slip on.

Asylum

Re:
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2015, 05:37:37 PM »
After reading both yours and makarushka's tips and replies, I'm stoked about getting the map in her.

I noticed when getting on the throttle from a stop and go, there's a certain point where it seems to want to stall on me if I don't give more. Almost as if it wants to buck me off like a horse.

Offline guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2015, 08:13:37 PM »
You should be all sorted in time for the 2015 National in New Hampshire.
If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

Asylum

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2015, 08:23:38 PM »
You should be all sorted in time for the 2015 National in New Hampshire.

I'd love to go out there and check it out. I'm only 4hrs away. ;D

Offline guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2015, 08:49:57 PM »
36, you might nab "youngest rider".  I will be there, lord willing and the creek don't rise  ;D
If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2015, 08:50:21 PM »
Oh yeah- one more- Make sure to keep an eye on your side stand bolts- mine fell off. I caught it before the bike fell. The factory did not use thread lock compound. Based on other confirmations here, I would vote that the board chip in to send a Wildguzzi five gallon pail of the stuff to Mandello, cause it's obvious they have never heard of Loctite.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2015, 08:54:09 PM »
Wait a second-

Asylum has broke the cardinal rule of this board and no one has pointed it out:  The bike does not exist until WE SEE PIX!

Get with it, you whippersnapper, and post some photos of your steed.

BTW, RE National- do you folks ever wear name tags with your forum handle so we can see who's who?
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

Asylum

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2015, 09:37:56 PM »
36, you might nab "youngest rider".  I will be there, lord willing and the creek don't rise  ;D

Damn, how old should I be ridin this thing? Maybe it's best I keep the griso in storage til I'm 60.
Wait a second-

Asylum has broke the cardinal rule of this board and no one has pointed it out:  The bike does not exist until WE SEE PIX!

Get with it, you whippersnapper, and post some photos of your steed.

BTW, RE National- do you folks ever wear name tags with your forum handle so we can see who's who?

As far as pics go, she looks like every other griso se black edition. I know, you guys wanna see if I've dropped her yet  ::)

I'll get some pics posted up tomorrow after I get done dinging out some dents.

Vasco DG

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2015, 10:06:28 PM »
Chuck in a couple of pics of the LH throttle body too, from behind.

Asylum

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2015, 10:12:10 PM »
Chuck in a couple of pics of the LH throttle body too, from behind.

Is there something I should be aware of Vasco?

Vasco DG

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2015, 10:25:36 PM »
Lots of stuff. That's why I'm asking for a few pics.

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2015, 06:50:19 AM »
A while back I test-rode a used 8V Griso (MY2009, IIRC ) that I was looking to buy, and was put off by the bike's terrible off-idle fueling.  The engine would seem to bog, then rev out, upon application of throttle, particularly (but not exclusively) when cold.  I thought the problem was the aftermarket silencer, but the seller informed me it was the "official" Moto Guzzi Termignoni pipe.  

Maybe the problem was that the bike simply needed a different map, but which one?

Also, if this problem existed in MY2009, why does it persist in MY2014?  IMO, a modern, brand-new, $13,000 motorcycle should not be a do-it-yourself project.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 06:52:42 AM by youcanrunnaked »
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Asylum

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2015, 07:53:53 AM »

Also, if this problem existed in MY2009, why does it persist in MY2014?  IMO, a modern, brand-new, $13,000 motorcycle should not be a do-it-yourself project.

I completely agree. Personally, I think moto guzzi relies on dealerships to get these bikes prepped properly for their clients. Maybe it's lack of competence or laziness that they aren't giving special attention to tune the bikes the way they should.

I wouldn't give the griso up for anything else, but put me back a year ago before I bought it knowing what I know now, I actually think I may have passed on that purchase. It's a shame, because these sort of situations may affect sales in the long run for new moto guzzi buyers.

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2015, 07:58:38 AM »
It's a shame, because these sort of situations may affect sales in the long run for new moto guzzi buyers.

I know it affects resale.  The Griso I looked at was still for sale nearly a year after I looked at it -- and it was priced right, too.
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Offline raul

• Gosling
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2015, 08:15:35 AM »
Riding your girlfriend's Harley may be part of your problem.  The way the two bikes deliver power is completely different.  The Guzzi really likes to be in a higher rev range than a Harley.  I've been riding a very long time and just joined the Guzzi clan.  It took a while longer than I expected to get used to the bike and the way I need to ride it.  Best of luck to you.  Get out there and practice.

Well, get out there and practice when it warms up.   ;-T

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2015, 10:58:52 AM »
From my limited experience, the '09 models had all sorts of issues, especially with mapping. My 2012, not so much. I only remapped in search of better mileage, not better performance (idle or otherwise). Brakes from the factory are better than the '09 too. I hear the 2015 is even better!

The one thing that will help out a lot for very little money is having a local guru adjust the suspension for you. From the factory they are ball and bum busters. But they are fully adjustable and can be made to be pretty sweet on the street. I had mine done for only $30, like a completely different bike. I only noticed the difference after riding a buddies '09; the only like that was better than my bike was the way it rode. Otherwise the '12 was much better. Money well spent. You may want to wait a bit so you have a good feel for the bike and will notice the difference once fixed up.

I find the Griso sneaky fast. Other bikes gave you audio clues that the motor was winding up and working (sometimes, over working) to accelerate. Other bikes, with lots of poop, will try to stretch your arms and flatten your eye balls with rocket acceleration. You KNOW you are putting the beans to the bike. Unless well thrashed, the Griso just gets up and goes with out fuss. A roll on from 75 to pass a truck will put you at a 100mph and you will have no clue you are going that fast. Sneaky!!

Low speed handling, tight twisty bits and use in the city I find her a bit slow and heavy. The CB1100, while a tad heavier, but using skinnier tires feels much lighter on her feet and much happier is tight twisties. On the open road, fast sweepers, the Griso is much happier. In Phoenix, especially in the summer, the Griso's jugs pour off too much heat for my tastes (mostly at stop lights) so I prefer the dual sport 650L in those conditions.

There are other things to consider to make the bike your own and to suit your riding; but I think you'll have to flesh that out as you own her. We each tend to go off in different directions with our bikes. E.g. some of us prefer windscreens while others don't. Some of us like the stock seat, others need to customize it so the bum is happy.

And the motor is not like a Harley motor, much more willing to rev, does not appreciate being lugged (and has valves that need adjusting from time to time). Is very picky about the oil you feed her. Take your time getting to know her.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Asylum

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2015, 06:53:14 PM »
Well here she is, and the throttle body you asked for Vasco.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2015, 09:39:15 PM »
Nice looking se. Interesting vacuum line from the left intake tube, my 09 8v just has a plug screw there.

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2015, 09:10:27 AM »
The sacred screw has not been touched- my guess is that is what Pete was looking for.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

Asylum

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2015, 09:48:57 AM »
The sacred screw has not been touched- my guess is that is what Pete was looking for.

So what does this sacred screw do? Is it a good or bad thing that it hasn't been touched?

Vasco DG

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2015, 10:58:54 AM »
The throttle stop screw shouldn't be messed with as doing so throws out the ability of the ECU to determine the correct amount of fuel to supply. Idle speed is governed by the stepper feed and is programmed into the ECU.

Pete

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here