Author Topic: Jeremy Clarkson fired  (Read 34821 times)

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Jeremy Clarkson fired
« on: March 26, 2015, 07:46:23 AM »
he was an accident waiting to happen.. He punched out a producer fro not having hot food available after a shoot.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Jeremy Clarkson fired
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 07:55:14 AM »
Personally, I'm bummed because the show was top notch - the cinematography, the chance to really see cars I'll never drive in my life thrashed, the staged but funny "challenges" and the chemistry and low-brow humor. It will never be the same.

He DID IT TO HIMSELF, so I'm kinda pissed AT HIM for it.

THAT SAID

he was an accident waiting to happen.. He punched out a producer fro not having hot food available after a shoot.

Like most things in this world it's not all black and white.

Here are some things we know about it.

1. There was more to the story. Much of it is damning to Clarkson, but it sounds like it occurred in a pub, and both men had been drinking.
2. Not an excuse but Jeremy's life is imploding right now, in the middle of a second divorce, admittedly smoking and drinking too much, etc.

It SOUNDS to me like the producer is going to milk this for all it is worth. Reports were he had a bleeding lip. Big friggin' deal. But he knows Jeremy is worth 30M Euros, so he went to the emergency room and is not talking to the press and has been unavailable for Jeremy's apologies. I smell lawsuit.

Personally as a huge fan of the show I think they COULD have worked something out. They could have treated it like they do with professional athletes, FINE, FINE, FINE.

I BET this producer would have happily accepted a settlement, say 25% of Jeremy's contracted 600,000 euro salary next year, and another financial penalty to Clarkson if he stepped out of line with him again.

Oh well, RIP TOP GEAR!
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

dilligaf

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 08:00:18 AM »
I heard about it on the radio yesterday.  He has a huge following but looks like he pushed the boss man a little to far. What Kev said. :(  :BEER:
Matt

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 08:06:45 AM »
The show was running out of ideas and  people to offend (he didn't like bikers) but was still very popular.
Probably the right time to call it a day for Clarkson so he can get his act together.

Basically he arrived at a hotel after a days shooting followed by a drinking session, demanded hot food at 10pm and took it out on a producer when he didn't get his way. He was already on a warning from the BBC so the outcome was predictable.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 08:16:30 AM by molly »
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 08:06:45 AM »

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 08:06:58 AM »
If it sticks and he's through at BBC, he has a broad enough audience that he can launch his own show for a US production company.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 08:08:27 AM »
I will miss the show, won't be the same

One of my favorite shows to watch.

In this day and time, I am surprised he lasted this long, he was not PC.  I think BBC is going to lose a lot of viewers and money with this decision.
06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 08:24:00 AM »
He was kind of a train wreck waiting to happen.  I am surprised he survived this long without a major incident.

But, I LOVE that show.  Have seen the US and AUS version and they just aren't the same.  I am kinda shocked it has kept on for so long.

I can't say it will be impossible to replace him, but, it would be difficult.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline gary martin

• Gaggle Hero
  • My train of thought runs on a short track.
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 08:34:37 AM »
I'm gonna miss Captain Slow, the hamster, and the orangutan.    :'( 
04 Guzzi evT, 11 Suzuki V Strom, 84 Honda CT110, 70 BMW R50/5

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 08:35:46 AM »
Jeremy who???

What show?

is that on PBS?

dilligaf

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 08:38:43 AM »
BBC I heard about in on PBS.  From time to time someone will past a clip here.  ;-T  :BEER:
Matt

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 08:42:11 AM »
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

Offline Furbo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 08:42:30 AM »
I hear Piers Morgan is looking for work...
Killeen, TX
'96 Sport 1100
'72 N. Falcone
'72 Eldo

Eccl 9:9,10

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 08:53:34 AM »
Jeremy who???

What show?

is that on PBS?

Definitely not PBS.  I had to google the name to see who he is.  Thought he might be a Fox News anchor.  Yawn.  Working in TV for over 30 years, I don't watch much.

Tobit.
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 08:57:26 AM »
He was a known hater of hybrids, but in a recent episode had softened significantly heaping some praise on the BMW i8 saying it was where we are heading headed and choosing it for an afternoon 209 mile drive back home over an M3.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 09:04:58 AM »
Jeremy who???

What show?

is that on PBS?

Something to do with TV. One of those reality shows I guess. Probably Kim whatshernames husband.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 09:29:25 AM »
It's a gift to the great American viewing public in return for all the dross you send over for us to watch. :BEER:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 09:31:23 AM by molly »
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 09:52:14 AM »
I've been reading his articles in the London Times for years and a fan of Top Gear. They should have cut a deal with him. He says things about bad cars that we wish everyone did.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: Jeremy Clarkson fired
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 10:20:07 AM »
I've been reading his articles in the London Times for years and a fan of Top Gear. They should have cut a deal with him. He says things about bad cars that we wish everyone did.

Dean
He does that about everything... Much to the chagrin of some.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 10:28:03 AM »
bah -  bye !

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 10:33:28 AM »
This is my favorite of his work, the show about the Robin Reliant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 10:35:48 AM »

Dean

If I were the BBC, I would've sold the entire show to another network.  No way would I ever put up with Clarkson but the show has a lot of fans.  TG is sorta like fast food, you hate yourself but you like to eat anyway.

Also, read that Clarkson was privately working on another show on another network.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 10:44:49 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline gary martin

• Gaggle Hero
  • My train of thought runs on a short track.
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 10:41:25 AM »
has to be the most ambitious Top Gear episode.  and no Clarkson for all you haters.  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJdrlWR-yFM
04 Guzzi evT, 11 Suzuki V Strom, 84 Honda CT110, 70 BMW R50/5

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 10:43:27 AM »
Well, yes, but after a particularly bad day of shooting.  The food was just the straw that broke the camel's back.  May called it a bit of a dust up.  They cancelled one showing of Top Gear and it cost the BBC 4 million viewers.  

the story I read:  TG had completed filming for the day and were going to be helicoptered back to the hotel.  Jeremy kept everyone waiting for a couple hours drinking in a pub.  When they got back hours late to the hotel, the kitchen was closed and only bar food was available.  He threw a hissey fit and cussed out his crew for 30 minutes in front of the hotel guests and then punched his producer.  The guy went to a clinic to get tended to and get this- the producer was the one afraid of being fired.

The hotel manager opened up the kitchen and fixed poor JC a hot meal-  yeah!
John L 

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 11:05:02 AM »
Personally, I'm bummed because the show was top notch - the cinematography, the chance to really see cars I'll never drive in my life thrashed, the staged but funny "challenges" and the chemistry and low-brow humor. It will never be the same.

THAT SAID

1. There was more to the story. Much of it is damning to Clarkson, but it sounds like it occurred in a pub, and both men had been drinking.
2. Not an excuse but Jeremy's life is imploding right now, in the middle of a second divorce, admittedly smoking and drinking too much, etc.

It SOUNDS to me like the producer is going to milk this for all it is worth. Reports were he had a bleeding lip. Big friggin' deal. But he knows Jeremy is worth 30M Euros, so he went to the emergency room and is not talking to the press and has been unavailable for Jeremy's apologies. I smell lawsuit.

Personally as a huge fan of the show I think they COULD have worked something out. They could have treated it like they do with professional athletes, FINE, FINE, FINE.

I BET this producer would have happily accepted a settlement, say 25% of Jeremy's contracted 600,000 euro salary next year, and another financial penalty to Clarkson if he stepped out of line with him again.

Oh well, RIP TOP GEAR!

I suspect in normal times this would be exactly what would happen but I think ol' Jeremy burned one too many bridges, was an ass for far too long and crossed that line in the sand for many people and there is no making nice now. He gets to pay the piper now.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 11:20:20 AM »
Rboe, likely you are correct.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 11:21:04 AM »

THAT SAID

No!  No!  No!

The BBC investigated and published the results, including the fact that none of the witnesses or parties -- including Clarkson -- disputed any of the findings.  

The Facts:

After a long day of shooting on location, Clarkson and others involved in the shoot went to their hotel for the evening.  A hot meal was not waiting for Clarkson, and he became enraged.  Blaming one of the producers for the sanfu, he loudly and publicly berated., bullied and humiliated the producer, calling him names and telling him he was fired.  The scene took place on an outdoor patio, and Clarkson was so loud that he was heard by hotel staff and guests in the lobby and front desk.  The producer offered no resistance and simply took the abuse, thinking that he had, indeed, been fired.  Then, unprovoked, Clarkson punched the producer in the mouth.  The producer did not fight back but left the patio and went into the hotel, bleeding, with Clarkson following him and continuing to loudly and publicly demean and badger him.  The producer took a taxi to a clinic because he was bleeding and needed medical attention.

All of this was confirmed by several witnesses and was admitted to by Clarkson.  This comes after Clarkson was given a "last chance" warning by his employer for prior incidents.

Sometimes things ARE black and white.  As James May put it, "I don't see as how they [the BBC] had any choice."
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 11:24:42 AM by youcanrunnaked »
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2015, 11:35:21 AM »
Some of the Top Gear episodes are extremely dangerous for the "Presenters".

How many Actors do their own stunts?

I find fault with the "Producer" for not anticipating the requests of the people doing the work.  Isn't that his job???

The "Producer" is a wimp who can't take a punch from a weak old man who just happens to be his top man.  I guess heavy construction projects are different.

Well at least Top Gear lasted longer than the Smother's Brothers (also cancelled for being Politically Incorrect).
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2015, 11:48:02 AM »

I find fault with the "Producer" for not anticipating the requests of the people doing the work.  Isn't that his job???

The "Producer" is a wimp who can't take a punch from a weak old man who just happens to be his top man.  I guess heavy construction projects are different.

Well at least Top Gear lasted longer than the Smother's Brothers (also cancelled for being Politically Incorrect).

Clarkson is not "the boss" (as he has discovered) and the producer was not responsible for the hotel kitchen being closed. (In fact Clarkson was himself responsible for the late arrival at the hotel.)  I have been in employment law for a lot of years and I can tell you that in any workplace, let alone a high-profile one like the BBC, if you sucker-punch a co-worker -- you're fired.  

WTH does this have to do with being politically correct?  Interesting way to try to excuse a battery.  Let's see if the local police see it your way.  

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11494903/Jeremy-Clarkson-now-faces-police-probe.html
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 11:49:10 AM by youcanrunnaked »
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: Jeremy Clarkson fired
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2015, 11:56:08 AM »
No!  No!  No!

The BBC investigated and published the results, including the fact that none of the witnesses or parties -- including Clarkson -- disputed any of the findings.  

The Facts:

After a long day of shooting on location, Clarkson and others involved in the shoot went to their hotel for the evening.  A hot meal was not waiting for Clarkson, and he became enraged.  Blaming one of the producers for the sanfu, he loudly and publicly berated., bullied and humiliated the producer, calling him names and telling him he was fired.  The scene took place on an outdoor patio, and Clarkson was so loud that he was heard by hotel staff and guests in the lobby and front desk.  The producer offered no resistance and simply took the abuse, thinking that he had, indeed, been fired.  Then, unprovoked, Clarkson punched the producer in the mouth.  The producer did not fight back but left the patio and went into the hotel, bleeding, with Clarkson following him and continuing to loudly and publicly demean and badger him.  The producer took a taxi to a clinic because he was bleeding and needed medical attention.

All of this was confirmed by several witnesses and was admitted to by Clarkson.  This comes after Clarkson was given a "last chance" warning by his employer for prior incidents.

Sometimes things ARE black and white.  As James May put it, "I don't see as how they [the BBC] had any choice."
I read the report, I thought the patio was part of the pub which they had repeatedly been drinking in earlier.

I don't see where anything otherwise contradicted what I said on the facts, or my related speculation from them.

I believe James May also said something to the tune that he couldn't see why something else couldn't have been done.

There's no doubt more to the story, there always is.

Other factors, BBC owns the show, or at least controlling interest. They paid Clarkson and his partner, one of the producers, a dear sum in 2013 for it.

Last year the TG franchise made something like 150M Euro worldwide.

The first canceled episode cost the BBC 4M of the usual 5M viewers they normally has in that time slot.

Supposedly there was an 18 year waiting list for audience tickets to the show.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2015, 12:09:01 PM »
Some of the Top Gear episodes are extremely dangerous for the "Presenters".

How many Actors do their own stunts?

I find fault with the "Producer" for not anticipating the requests of the people doing the work.  Isn't that his job???

The "Producer" is a wimp who can't take a punch from a weak old man who just happens to be his top man.  I guess heavy construction projects are different.

I suppose the producer should've anticipated that Clarkson would be drinking in a pub keeping his helicopter ride waiting for several hours and not knowing the kitchen would be closed at the hotel.  Yeah, Clarkson should've slugged the guy for not being able to read his mind when he would leave the pub. 

I wonder if the helicopter had Corinthian leather?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 12:10:54 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here