Author Topic: Shinko Stinko  (Read 38653 times)

Kentktk

Shinko Stinko
« on: April 10, 2015, 11:08:16 PM »
Here`s a friends East Asian Shinko`s mounted on a Suzuki V-Strom. Buyer beware!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 03:59:03 PM by Kentktk »

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
Re: Shinko Stinko
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 12:11:17 AM »
duct tape... I don't see a problem.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 12:20:23 AM »
A China-bashing thread?  We can probably show tire failure pictures for all brands from all over.  It happens.  Don't blame it on China.

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 12:26:55 AM »
I've never heard many good things about Shinko tires and I won't use anything but the best precisely because of this. I don't trust chinese manufacturing for parts that have the ability to kill me if they fail.

I've also heard very bad things about Avon tires and will never use them again either. I had no problems with the Avon tire that came with a bike I bought, but after reading the horror stories about catastrophic delamination of their tires... nope.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 12:26:55 AM »

Offline ken farr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 01:03:05 AM »
I don't see a picture, darn HP computer !!!

I have been running  Shinko 009's on my B1100 for 40K miles w/o any problems.

As with all things ymmv.

( wish I could see the picture though..)

kjf
ken farr
06 B1100 - click!
Fillmore, Ca.

Offline Vince in Milwaukee

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 03:31:57 AM »
Well, I got a Metzler on the back of my BMW that has cracks in the tire itself (not the side wall).  Cost me @$180.  Guess I didn't get what I paid for.   ???
1984 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III, 1986 California II
Gone but not forgotten:
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambo, 1994 BMW K75RTw/ABS, 1996 BMW R1100RT, and 1993 BMW K75

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 04:18:08 AM »
Aren't Shinko's are made in Korea?

I put a set of Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2's on a friends bike. The front was made in China the rear was made in Germany. I have bought other Pirelli tires that were manufactured in Brazil.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 05:53:10 AM »
     Never had a problem with Shinko and would recommend the 712 and 230 on the old Tontes as bang for the buck . By the way they are Korean.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 05:57:38 AM by acogoff »
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 06:17:50 AM »
 I believe there was an issue with one particular Shinko tire recently. From what I remember it was tread  cracking when used on heavy bikes...I have Shinko dual sport tires on my old Triumph and it appears Shinko tires in general are and excellent value.

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 07:53:24 AM »
If you wont use Avon tires, dont use Cooper tires on your car. Avon is owned by Cooper.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 08:41:25 AM »
I've gone through 4 Shinko 712's on the back of mine now.  I like them.  Especially since I go through them at the rate of two a year (8k miles usually).

I don't ride with a passenger and the biggest load carried is when camping, about 100lb exta.  So not pushing the tire much.  I also run the tires at 42psi.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

biking sailor

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 09:03:58 AM »
In the past 4 or 5 years, I have used about 10 rear and 6 front Shinko tires with no problems.  Mostly 705's with a set of ravens thrown in .  A buddy just put a set of Pirelli on his touring bike and the front had a bad speed shimmy that we couldn't get out.  Replaced it with a Shinko, not sure of type, but it runs smooth now.  I've never had problems with Pirellis and have run a bunch of set of their angels.  So as always, for me, one outlier doesn't make for a statistically valid sample size.  YMMV   ;)

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 09:06:44 AM »
I cannot see the image either, but shortly after I bought my R100GS the rear Shinko developed a large sidewall bulge - no trauma involved. I will not be using Shinkos in the future.
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 09:34:36 AM »
I think this re enforces the fact that every motorcyclist should be closely monitoring their tires condition and pressures,no matter who made them.

Offline ken farr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 10:10:53 AM »
I think this re enforces the fact that every motorcyclist should be closely monitoring their tires condition and pressures,no matter who made them.

PLEASE STOP INTERJECTING REASON AND COMMON SENSE INTO A TIRE-COUNTRY BASHING THREAD

;D

KJF
ken farr
06 B1100 - click!
Fillmore, Ca.

ridingron

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2015, 10:40:42 AM »
I'm on several bike sites. Tire brand bashing is on all of them.

There is more to selecting a tire than wheel size and width. I would suggest checking the manufacturers web sites to check the fitment of the different tires to the bike model.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 10:43:44 AM »
<running around flapping wings looking at sky> Oh No! I just put a brand new pair of Shinkos on the Commie Thumper.. what will I do??
 ;D
I will say that they were some of the hardest tires to mount I've ever done. Don't know if it was the Shinkos or the shape of the Thumper's wheels..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline QCGoose

• Gaggle Hero
  • Chris McFate
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2015, 10:56:16 AM »
If you wont use Avon tires, dont use Cooper tires on your car. Avon is owned by Cooper.

I loved the Avons on my old ZRX1200R, and love the Coopers on my truck. YMMV.
1998 Guzzi V11 EV
1997 Guzzi 1100 Sport
2004 Ducati Monster 1000Sie
1970 Honda CB175
 --------------------
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2015, 11:04:22 AM »
Yeah , and Sumitomo owns Dunlop .

Dusty
Not true.
Goodyear owns Dunlop. Sumitomo aquired the rights to use the name Dunlop on all Japanese manufactured tires. Last year Goodyear dissolved the partnership.

http://www.dunloptires.com/en-US/company/company-info
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2015, 11:25:43 AM »
Yeah , if we're gonna bash a country let's at least bash the right one  ::)

Dusty

Cut the child some slack!  His confusion is perfectly natural.  Since his computer is a chinese product he just naturally assumes that all crap is made in China and all Chinese made products are crap.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 11:38:30 AM »
I cannot see the image either, but shortly after I bought my R100GS the rear Shinko developed a large sidewall bulge - no trauma involved. I will not be using Shinkos in the future.

The image shows a 'tourance'-style dual-purpose tire that has had one of the blocks removed.  We're supposed to think it's a straight-ahead delamination of the tread from the carcass, but you can see three kinds of damage besides the separation:  There's a gouge in the adjacent block that suggests the tire ran over something tall and sharp, possibly snagging the missing block and forcing the delamination.  The block itself has been removed by both a tearing action and what appears to be the application of either a sawzall or cut off wheel, as evidenced by the spot-melting along the edges of the remaining rubber.  Since none of this damage is elsewhere on the tire (how does a spinning tire melt in just one spot?), it's an anonymous picture, there is no back story other than the china reference, and our little troll won't be back to defend his post, I'm declaring it a staged shot and hoax.

Kentktk

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2015, 12:12:11 PM »
The image shows a 'tourance'-style dual-purpose tire that has had one of the blocks removed.  We're supposed to think it's a straight-ahead delamination of the tread from the carcass, but you can see three kinds of damage besides the separation:  There's a gouge in the adjacent block that suggests the tire ran over something tall and sharp, possibly snagging the missing block and forcing the delamination.  The block itself has been removed by both a tearing action and what appears to be the application of either a sawzall or cut off wheel, as evidenced by the spot-melting along the edges of the remaining rubber.  Since none of this damage is elsewhere on the tire (how does a spinning tire melt in just one spot?), it's an anonymous picture, there is no back story other than the china reference, and our little troll won't be back to defend his post, I'm declaring it a staged shot and hoax.

I think you would find reasoning and mistakes in pictures for proving the Holocaust
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:15:09 PM by Kentktk »

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2015, 12:15:47 PM »
China-Korea...............what's the diff?   ~;   Japan used to hold this cheap stuff title years ago.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:18:14 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2015, 12:18:48 PM »
I think you would find reasoning and mistakes in pictures for proving the Holocaust

Like I said -- he won't be back to defend his post.  Classic troll.

Vasco DG

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2015, 12:32:12 PM »
Over here Shinko's are branded as Maxxis, they don't bring in their road bike tyre range which is a shame as I'd like to try them, especially on my Mana.

When Yokohama stopped making bike tyres, back in the late nineties or early nougties I think, they sold all of their plant, tooling and technology to Shinko. I ran a few sets of them on my Tontis back in the day and they were, generally, a good tyre but then I had a front that cracked and de-laminated the tread. That put me off them a bit but a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then.

I have Maxxis tyres on two of my cars and really like them a lot, especially the grippier ones we have on Jude's Eos which make it as fun as a front wheel drive car ever will be!

I have a lot less problem with Chinese goods than I do with stuff from some other countries.

Pete

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2015, 12:40:04 PM »
In the US at least, Maxxis is a brand name of Cheng-Shin Rubber Co. Ltd (Taiwan) and is in no way connected to Shinko.
Charlie

Vasco DG

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2015, 12:42:16 PM »
Interesting. I'll have to double check.

Pete

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2015, 12:49:27 PM »
In the US at least, Maxxis is a brand name of Cheng-Shin Rubber Co. Ltd (Taiwan) and is in no way connected to Shinko.

Shinko tires are supposed to be Japanese designed tires made in Korea.  Maxxis MC tires are indeed Cheng-shin Taiwan tires renamed.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:54:11 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Kentktk

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2015, 12:56:55 PM »
Like I said -- he won't be back to defend his post.  Classic troll.

It`s just a picture of a friends tire nothing to defend. Being the Microsoft defender must be difficult, how is that done?

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2015, 01:47:31 PM »
duct tape... I don't see a problem.

That gorilla double sided duct tape.  ;-T   or super glue.  But don't go over the speed limit.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 01:49:17 PM by Arizona Wayne »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here