Author Topic: The impossibly priced Cycle Garden Ebay bikes thread - It's all about marketing, you know.  (Read 33206 times)

Online steven c

• Gaggle Hero
 Thats crazy, heck I'll sell you mine for 20 and throw in my LeMans.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
His ebay bikes NEVER hit the reserve, then he contacts the highest bidder and sells it to them.

Pretty smart.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline stmike

• Gaggle Mentor
I'm of the opinion that most of his bidders are shills.  Of course I have nothing substantial to back that opinion up; however, whenever he puts a bike on ebay the bidding is generally preposterous, and there are other restorers who do at least as good work as cycle garden who don't get more than a small fraction of these bids.

Wildguzzi.com

Penderic

Whats a 1960 Eldorado Convertible worth these days?
:rolleyes:
$18 - $20 a pound?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 03:11:55 PM by Penderic »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
$35k and he's still losing a Grand.

:angel:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
I'm of the opinion that most of his bidders are shills.  Of course I have nothing substantial to back that opinion up; however, whenever he puts a bike on ebay the bidding is generally preposterous, and there are other restorers who do at least as good work as cycle garden who don't get more than a small fraction of these bids.

You don't need anything "substantial" to back it up; this isn't a court of law, this is us trying to judge how to spend our money.  Experience, hunches, and "I've seen THIS before" work fine.

The more I see of these bikes and these "sales techniques", the more I would never buy one of these at any price.   Just too shady.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
from 20k up all bidders with 0 history, fake.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline Mark West

• Gaggle Hero
  • Get Lost.... it's good for you!
Being a bike restorer or custom builder is similar to being a chef or winemaker or artist. A certain amount of what you have to do is hype yourself. I wouldn't claim that Cycle Garden does any better at restoring Eldo's than anyone else but what he has done is create a reputation for doing that. There are many people that are really good at what they do and are far less successful than others because they lack the skills and/or desire to market themselves.

And while the marketing doesn't add value to the product, it does elevate the status of the bikes overall and does benefit other people who work on them as they can compare their work and prices to an established and very visible company like Cycle Garden.
Mark West
Hollister, CA
MGNOC L-752

SteveAZ

Worth what someone will pay I suppose   :shocked:

It does leave a bad taste in the mouth seeing the bid history etc. Strictly speaking he can do whatever he wants with his bikes/work and his stuff does sell for astronomical prices.

This kind of hype/shadowy bidder and high price ebay game is why it's so satisfying to buy a decent bike for a fair price, in person with cash and a handshake.

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
Dunno , but that is the second ugliest car ever made .

Dusty

I'd take it in a heartbeat
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline stmike

• Gaggle Mentor
Dunno , but that is the second ugliest car ever made .

Dusty

C'mon Dusty, I know you want to tell us what the ugliest car ever made was?

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Mark W , how does being a con man make this better for the honest guys ? I would think this type of behavior casts a bad light on the business and those involved . Dunno , just my thoughts .

Dusty

That's my thoughts too.   Just because a sucker is born every minute, that doesn't mean the "two to take him" are doing any good.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
from 20k up all bidders with 0 history, fake.

Excellent observation.    When he contacts the highest real bidder at $20k, they'll think that they're getting a bargain, since it bid to over $35k.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
ebay has wizened up. you cannot have shill bids without having to pay the ebay final value fee, even if you cancel. Now if they use shill bids to get real bidders up higher, then paying the excess final value fee might just be part of doing business. if they do not sell to a real buyer however, they will owe the fees. you cannot just cancel an auction if it has bids anymore...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 12:04:49 PM by mtiberio »
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
Excellent observation.    When he contacts the highest real bidder at $20k, they'll think that they're getting a bargain, since it bid to over $35k.

BINGO!
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Silver Goose

• Gosling
P.T. Barnum was right, "See the Egress" only $.10, today only.
2007 Norge
2002 BMW K1200 LT
1959 Indian/enfield
1964 Norton
2008 Can Am Spyder

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
I'm of the opinion that most of his bidders are shills.  Of course I have nothing substantial to back that opinion up; however, whenever he puts a bike on ebay the bidding is generally preposterous, and there are other restorers who do Much Better work as cycle garden who don't get more than a small fraction of these bids.

FTFY..  :tongue:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline bsanut

• Hatchling
    • Eurotrash Jambalaya
Shills?  I don't believe it.  I do a fair amount of business with Moe on a wholesale level.  Pretty straight guy.

That's one of the best Motors listings I've seen in awhile, and I sell on Ebay for a living.  The sale is doing what it's doing because he's SELLING it...

Joe
Joe Carter

Eurotrash Jambalaya

2017 V9 Bobber
2014 California Custom (sold)
2009 Stelvio (sold)
2002 EV11 (sold)
1983 California II (sold)
1974 Nuovo Falcone (sold)
2007 Griso (sold)

Offline Mark West

• Gaggle Hero
  • Get Lost.... it's good for you!
Mark W , how does being a con man make this better for the honest guys ? I would think this type of behavior casts a bad light on the business and those involved . Dunno , just my thoughts .

Dusty

First off I don't consider him a con man. To the best of my knowledge he is not misrepresenting anything to anyone and I have no information to indicate it's not a first class restoration.

As far as helping others, when people see the prices being fetched for a restored Eldo, and then see similar quality work from someone else, they are likely to expect to pay more for it.
Mark West
Hollister, CA
MGNOC L-752

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
First off I don't consider him a con man. To the best of my knowledge he is not misrepresenting anything to anyone and I have no information to indicate it's not a first class restoration.

As far as helping others, when people see the prices being fetched for a restored Eldo, and then see similar quality work from someone else, they are likely to expect to pay more for it.
Like this....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moto-Guzzi-AMBASSADOR-/321789579507?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4aec2750f3&item=321789579507
Joe Walano

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
I'd take it in a heartbeat

Me too, was a big fan of the 80's TV series Crime Story.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Me too, was a big fan of the 80's TV series Crime Story.

best line of the series:  a violent loan shark is killed by the cops after a foot chase in Las Vegas.  A bystander walks on to the scene and laughs, "I owed that guy money."
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
All them nekkid GuzziGals cannot be cheap without cost.   :wink: Man need a little cheese to keep the doors open.
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
ebay has wizened up. you cannot have shill bids without having to pay the ebay final value fee, even if you cancel. Now if they use shill bids to get real bidders up higher, then paying the excess final value fee might just be part of doing business. if they do not sell to a real buyer however, they will owe the fees. you cannot just cancel an auction if it has bids anymore...

I believe ebay motors is fixed-fee.

*IF* he's using shills he's a con man by definition.  He's misrepresenting the interest in the bike and artificially driving up the price.  And yes, the way all his auctions are bid beyond reason by "0" history bidders certainly looks shillish.

Does anyone know anyone who possesses one of their $35k loops?

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
  Are the handlebars packed with solid gold to lesses vibration?
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor

Does anyone know anyone who possesses one of their $35k loops?
I don't own one but, have had a Moe bike in my shop. The client says he paid 25K for the bike several years back. He's been trying to sell it, you've probably seen it on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Moto-Guzzi-Eldorado-/281654697990?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4193eda006&item=281654697990&nma=true&si=vrOoFWL%252Bxbp5KqGECWc4V87VxhA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
 His auctions ended several times with the reserve made and then the bidder disappears. The issue with these bidders is this, if you look at the list of bidders on that bike, the two highest bidders have a "0" next to their name. These are newly created accounts with no history. They can bid as high as they want and simply not pay. The seller can report them as a "non paying" bidder and have the final value fees waved. There is really nothing Ebay can do about these bidders. They just fire up a new, bogus hotmail email account and a new Ebay account and do it over and over again.
Joe Walano

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
DANG............$35k+ for a reconditioned police bike?   :copcar:   That's highway robbery!!.......unless it was formerly ridden by Clint Eastwood.   :bow:

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
if Moe wanted to use shill bidders to jack up his auction prices, he wouldn't use two bidders with zero transactions in their bid histories.  I would suspect that someone who wants to pimp Moe has created the two "zero transaction" bidders to show the world that Moe's reserves are not legit. 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here