Author Topic: Need guidance on used purchase Winner is! Now with PICS.  (Read 28620 times)

Offline dsrdave

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Need guidance on used Mercedes purchase
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2015, 04:10:54 PM »
MB makes some nice cars however, if you get a problem one, and they are out there.  It's going to get real pricey real quick.  If you can get over the image thing a minivan is very practcal, easy to get in an out of and a comfy seating position.  I would recc. at least looking at one.  Dave..
2-850T, 2-1000 convert/hacked, V11 sport, V50, centauro, '97 sport 1100, '71 V7 ambo, '76 850 Lemans,CX100,"83 LM III,1000SE, '91 LM V, '07 Griso, '53 super alce,moto parilla, zigolo, Lodola 175, Lodola 235,  '07 norge, '67 stornello, 57galletto, Nuovo Falcone, stornello ISDT, 52 Airone sport

Offline threebrits

• Hatchling
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2015, 04:15:47 PM »
Here is a mechanics take on Mercedes. It starts off with a $938 bill for and oil and fuel filter change and continues with the cost of over engineering!  He also has another video on the economics of luxury cars and why they cost so much to maintain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV9rJwEOCus
Todd

2013 V7R

Online lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2015, 07:07:12 PM »
mercs from 1986 until 1991 are the last proper cars ever made!!! unbreakable... absolutely bullet proof reliable, modern enough for comfort, old-school enough to be fixable..

Kentktk

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2015, 08:28:47 PM »
Ever wonder why Mercedes with that superb German engineering has only a 4 year Warranty on drivetrain and Kia or Hyundai have 10 years?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2015, 08:28:47 PM »

Offline BRIO

• Gosling
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2015, 08:38:38 PM »
Ever wonder why Mercedes with that superb German engineering has only a 4 year Warranty on drivetrain and Kia or Hyundai have 10 years?

Ever wonder why the resale value is so low?

guzzimike

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2015, 09:05:28 PM »

Yah, it's called Marketing.

As in trying Real hard to get traction for a Market Share with any gimmick which will fly..They are going after the Japanese market posture; and the japanesehave a pretty good hold on that, although American cars have come on strong. It's a crowded zone, for sure.

Some of the Japanese Auto makers were trying to take a slice from the German Market share, r at least from that part of the share where Yuppies,  Label chasers and non-enthusists were stationed. Those were the target, because no German carophobe would switch from a MBZ or BMW to an Acura, Leexus or Infinity..  but just when the Japanese  were starting to make small inroads on low end BMWs with the Infinity, out of nowhere comes AUDI and knocks the Japanese contingent out on their keester...

AUDI makes some BadAss cars... They do well in the 24hrs at Le Mans.

Mercedes  and BMW are racing, too.   :cool: :thumb:   

Lexus and Infinity, Kia and Hyundai..? Not so much..  :lipsrsealed:

And there's some more bad news for Japan and Korea....Jaguar has some very nice cars for the first time in decades and Maserati and Alfas are looking to get their Market share with some nice cars of their own..

Kia and Hyundai..?   Yeah, good luck with that notion.. They can't compete in the High End of the spectrum, populated as it is by long established European brands.

They'd better stick to the Medium-low end of the market with Price Leaders, and they had better do it fast and look out for the Indian assault on that end of the spectrum  -  soon to be followed by China and their version of the Hoonday

Next thing you know, KIA and Hyundai will offer a 15 year warranty :boozing:

---

Offline O

• Gosling
  • Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2015, 09:11:03 PM »
I generally loathe what Toyota has to offer these days, but you may want to check out the Highlander.  It might just meet all of your needs, particularly ease of entry.  Anecdotally, one of these saved the life of my sister, mother, and niece in a head-on collision with an F350.  The crumple zone did its job, and no major injuries to anyone in the Toyota.
Owen

2014 V7 Special

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2015, 09:14:03 PM »
Those Chevy, Ford, Honda and Toyota crossovers are pretty nice cars, I didn't know they had three rows of seats.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline BRIO

• Gosling
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2015, 09:34:52 PM »

As in trying Real hard to get traction for a Market Share with any gimmick which will fly..They are going after the Japanese market posture; and the japanesehave a pretty good hold on that, although American cars have come on strong. It's a crowded zone, for sure.

Some of the Japanese Auto makers were trying to take a slice from the German Market share, r at least from that part of the share where Yuppies,  Label chasers and non-enthusists were stationed. Those were the target, because no German carophobe would switch from a MBZ or BMW to an Acura, Leexus or Infinity..  but just when the Japanese  were starting to make small inroads on low end BMWs with the Infinity, out of nowhere comes AUDI and knocks the Japanese contingent out on their keester...

AUDI makes some BadAss cars... They do well in the 24hrs at Le Mans.

Mercedes  and BMW are racing, too.   :cool: :thumb:   

Lexus and Infinity, Kia and Hyundai..? Not so much..  :lipsrsealed:

And there's some more bad news for Japan and Korea....Jaguar has some very nice cars for the first time in decades and Maserati and Alfas are looking to get their Market share with some nice cars of their own..

Kia and Hyundai..?   Yeah, good luck with that notion.. They can't compete in the High End of the spectrum, populated as it is by long established European brands.

They'd better stick to the Medium-low end of the market with Price Leaders, and they had better do it fast and look out for the Indian assault on that end of the spectrum  -  soon to be followed by China and their version of the Hoonday

Next thing you know, KIA and Hyundai will offer a 15 year warranty :boozing:

---

The OP expressed interest in MB due to the outdated notion that they are long lived and reliable. Until the mid 90's this was true. They have since moved on to capitalize on that reputation while entering the technology/horsepower race with the other two. Lexus has since replaced MB in the role of conservative luxury. Boring maybe, but immensely durable and long lived. Think N/A 300D from the mid nineties. These and their ancestors used to roam the streets of Bayern as taxis until they had accumulated enough miles to be sold to third world countries where they soldier on along with Peugeot 504s.

People who look for those qualities are not interested in Racing pedigree.

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2015, 09:43:49 PM »
Yep, racing has nothing to do with the consumermarket.
Everyone I know with Bimmers (not Beemers, those are m/c's)
Have them in the shop all the time.
OTOH a friend's son is a Lexus wrench, they got in a 90s Lexus tht was down on power. After looking it over the engine was shot at about 300k miles. The dealer recommended a new ca. The owner asked about a new engine. The car was perfect in every way so they rebuilt the engine.
Happy customers.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Kentktk

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2015, 10:39:16 PM »

As in trying Real hard to get traction for a Market Share with any gimmick which will fly.

---

I`m not thinking a 10 year warranty is a gimmick, but surely it is marketing and with confidence in the reliability of what they build. Confidence seems to be lacking from the German manufacturers who would lose there Asses with a 10 year warranty. Most people do the German car dream only once because it turns into a nightmare.

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2015, 11:35:59 PM »
. . .  because no German carophobe would switch from a MBZ or BMW to an Acura, Leexus or Infinity..

Carophobe?  Someone with an unreasoning fear of cars?

Did you mean carophile?
1990 MilleGT

LaMojo

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2015, 06:46:32 AM »
You may want to consider safety: SUV's have a much higher rollover rates than any other vehicles, especially the Chevy Tahoe and Suburbans.  Loss of control due to hydroplaning seems to be a big issue with these.

Minivans are a lot safer, better gas mileage, plenty of room for families with the Chrysler Grand Caravan being tops in it's class. 

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2015, 07:26:53 AM »

Minivans are a lot safer, better gas mileage, plenty of room for families.

I can pack a whole rally in a Honda Odyssey and still get 25 MPG!
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2015, 09:26:01 AM »
The last great Mercedes the 240 D.

Dean

Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2015, 09:44:44 AM »
The last great Mercedes the 240 D.

Dean

I would include the W123 300D/CD/TD in there as well.
Charlie

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2015, 09:48:11 AM »
You may want to consider safety: SUV's have a much higher rollover rates than any other vehicles, especially the Chevy Tahoe and Suburbans.  Loss of control due to hydroplaning seems to be a big issue with these.

I'll give you the increased rollover rates.  They're higher off the ground, after all.  However, I think some of the smaller SUVs like Explorer and Jeep beat the Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon for rolling over when hit from the side.  My mom suffered a 50mph T-bone in her 2008 Suburban a couple years ago.  Yes, the Suburban rolled.  Yes, they had to cut the roof to get her out.  No, neither she nor her passenger had a scratch.  I credit the Suburban for that.  They're built like, er, TRUCKS!  And, the newer ones have lots of airbags.

I won't give you the hydroplaning.  I've never heard that assertion.  Something like that is going to be very tire dependent, anyway.  My Suburban has 265,000 miles on the clock and it cuts through standing water like a battleship.  I have kept good BF Goodrich and Cooper tires on it.  Currently Cooper Discoverer AT3.  They're awesome in rain/snow/mud.  Previously, it had BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A tires that were super-good.

Last week, I drove the Suburban around 2,000 miles.  That included 500 miles with a 6,000-lbs horse trailer.  1500 miles of highway back and forth to New Mexico.  And, while in New Mexico, nearly 100 miles of unpaved mountain roads, some of which required high clearance and four wheel drive.

No minivan can compete with that.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline BRIO

• Gosling
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2015, 09:49:55 AM »
I would include the W123 300D/CD/TD in there as well.

The om617 turbo was the most durable in the U.S. Market. I think the 616's lived a hard life trying to keep up with V8's

oldbike54

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2015, 11:09:38 AM »
 Rocker , I hate to tell you this , but trucks aren't all that safe compared to minivans and passenger cars that have become one large crumple zone . In a crash , vehicles built on truck chassis tend to just stop suddenly , where passenger cars absorb the energy before coming to a complete stop . New SUVs are probably safer than the older ones , but I will bet that minivans are still the safest vehicle built .

Dusty

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2015, 11:35:38 AM »
Rocker , I hate to tell you this , but trucks aren't all that safe compared to minivans and passenger cars that have become one large crumple zone . In a crash , vehicles built on truck chassis tend to just stop suddenly , where passenger cars absorb the energy before coming to a complete stop . New SUVs are probably safer than the older ones , but I will bet that minivans are still the safest vehicle built .

Dusty

Safety is well down my list, but a modern Suburban is VERY safe. 

Capability is tops for me, and no minivan can cut it for the tasks I need a vehicle to perform.

I'm not going to compromise capability for a few mpg and a few points on some Consumer Reports test.

Give me a V8 4WD minivan with ground clearance and some towing capacity, then maybe I'll take another look.

But probably not...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

oldbike54

« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2015, 12:10:05 PM »

Capability is tops for me, and no minivan can cut it for the tasks I need a vehicle to perform.

I'm not going to compromise capability for a few mpg and a few points on some Consumer Reports test.

Give me a V8 4WD minivan with ground clearance and some towing capacity, then maybe I'll take another look.

But probably not...

You have a specific need for a large vehicle , and yes , that old Suburban is the right tool for the job . No argument on that point , but most folks don't pull a horse trailer , for passenger hauling purposes , hard to beat a minivan , that's all I'm saying . Kind of like the difference between a luxo tourer MC and a sport tourer  :bike-037:

Dusty

Offline BRIO

• Gosling
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2015, 01:05:58 PM »
Compromise?

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2015, 01:59:10 PM »

But probably not...

A Suburban properly equipped is a formidable vehicle. Although it has a higher risk of rollover than a crossover,it can adsorb more battle damage  .This why so many like full size trucks....
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 01:59:51 PM by Rough Edge racing »

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2015, 04:14:22 PM »
Compromise?

I had a Volvo once.  Loved to drive it.  Kept it about 8 years.  HOWEVER, every year something weird would go wrong and cost me about $1,500.  So, I'm hesitant to buy another one.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 07:26:25 PM by Dean Rose »
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2015, 07:15:01 PM »
I had a Volvo once.  Loved to drive it.  Kept it about 8 years.  HOWEVER, every year something weird would go wrong and cost me about $1,500.  So, I'm hesitant to buy another one.

We had an early Dodge Caravan that was like that.  Every summer the air conditioning would go out.  But, it would only cost about $200 each time.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2015, 07:49:11 PM »
7. Oh my!  May patients be your wife& your greatest Vertue!  Good luck and god speed!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2015, 08:07:54 PM »
If I was looking for a used SUV I'd look for a Toyota Land Cruiser.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 

Offline sthomag

• Hatchling
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2015, 07:28:48 AM »
I think Mercedes-Benz has jumped the shark. They used to make elegant, durable cars. When I was a kid, their cars had clean, beautiful styling: the 230SL, the 230SE sedan, and especially the 230 etc. coupes and convertibles, which were among the most beautiful cars ever made. Even during the 90s, after their sedans had become frumpy-looking, the 300SL and 500SL had elegant, clean, graceful lines.

Now, with the exception of the Gelandewagen, Mercedes-Benzes look like they were designed for the tastes of Middle Eastern potentates and drug traffickers: flashy, garish, with no grace at all. Aesthetically they're the automotive equivalent of a gold medallion on a chain, and their greatest attraction seems to be as a symbol of conspicuous consumption. At the same time, their reliability and durability have gone down the drain.

The conclusion has to be that Daimler-Benz sees their biggest market in nouveau-riche Asians, South American drug dealers, Arab princes, and status-whoring parvenus in general. Those people don't care about durability: they don't want to keep a car for more than a couple of years before buying the latest and flashiest. So why bother with quality?

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 08:19:53 AM by sthomag »

Offline O

• Gosling
  • Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2015, 09:15:21 AM »
...status-whoring parvenus...

Well that's a keeper of a phrase. :boozing:
Owen

2014 V7 Special

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here