Author Topic: 2016 retirement vehicle thoughts..  (Read 37625 times)

Offline toma nova

• Gosling
Re: 2016 retirement vehicle thoughts..
« Reply #180 on: April 06, 2016, 10:15:41 AM »

We had a blast driving up (3 car convoy - Carrera, C4S and Boxster) to Texas World Speedway in College station on Sunday

May I ask why you listed the Boxster last? Anything to do with the speeds reached on the drive up?   :copcar:
2014 Stelvio NTX
2008 1200 Sport - sold

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #181 on: April 06, 2016, 10:18:19 AM »
$30k +  for a wrecked and poorly painted 2nd tier Porsche doesn't seem like a bargain for oil town Houston. 

I know the local Porsche shop up here tried to pawn off a poorly painted black 'vette on to me here in oil town OKC for $30k-

no way in hell would I want a black car anyway but I was tempted to go see it.

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #182 on: April 06, 2016, 10:23:00 AM »
Hey Greg,

I was in the neighborhood on the weekend and stopped by to talk to Rodger and look at the Black Cayman while drooling over some of the other newer items on the showroom floor.  Too many panels had paint or overspray, so definitely no point in pursuing this one.  The interior was in great shape, wheels/tires all good...but with so many painted panels, something must have happened, key issues is easily solved, but that's minor compared to the body issues.  RG can still help you source your car...if you give him your specs, he can scan around not only locally but cast a wider net.

We had a blast driving up (3 car convoy - Carrera, C4S and Boxster) to Texas World Speedway in College station on Sunday, all of us got to drive on the track in a couple of fun speed parade laps and watch the top performers in the Red class run at full speeds up to 160 mph for the GT2...several other exotics out there, including a McLaren, several GT3's, quite a few 911 Turbo, Turbo S, and even a Cayman GT4 (check out Rodgers if you get up there). 

Have fun in the search!!

I've done a couple of track days in my 'vette since I bought it in Feb.  It's a real blast, especially with 430 HP and all season (hard) tires.  It's more of a  peacock than track tool but it's a barrel of monkeys.  I run a few laps and let her cool down, don't wanna replace the brakes and tires right away.

I plan to go to track school at Hallett in May.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

lucydad

« Reply #183 on: April 06, 2016, 10:51:44 AM »
Ryder of Low,

Thanks, you confirmed my impressions of the Cayman after a closer inspection of the pictures and discussion with Rodger.  I suspect an unreported crash, with very poor quality repair and paint.  Not happening.  I am waiting for the right car.  I told Rodger to keep a look out for a better car.  Caveat Emptor!  Black just is not my color.  Color matters a lot to me. 

Glad you guys had fun.  Much appreciated comment!!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #183 on: April 06, 2016, 10:51:44 AM »

lucydad

« Reply #184 on: April 06, 2016, 10:53:47 AM »
Whoops, thanks to Paul for checking the car out.

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #185 on: April 06, 2016, 11:27:18 AM »

May I ask why you listed the Boxster last? Anything to do with the speeds reached on the drive up?   :copcar:

Purely unintentional I can assure you!!  But I do have a 2 word suggestion for future runs:

Radar Detector!   :thumb: :thumb:

By the way...lunch at Messina Hof winery after the race was spectacular!!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

lucydad

« Reply #186 on: April 06, 2016, 11:35:33 AM »
Just turned up a 2007 Cayman S:  yellow, loaded, 41K miles, local individual seller, also had some repairs-- (do all Porsche drivers have problems running into things?)---  $28K.  Opened a bit of communication.  Love the color combo, depends a lot on quality (OEM) of repairs, records, etc.  Car would be worth about $25K to me.  What do you think?

Not sure if this will link:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=77002&endYear=2017&modelCode1=CAYMAN&showcaseOwnerId=0&makeCode1=POR&startYear=1981&listingType=used&firstRecord=0&listingTypes=used&searchRadius=50&showcaseListingId=0&mmt=%5BPOR%5BCAYMAN%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=407574871&Log=0

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #187 on: April 06, 2016, 12:45:17 PM »
Oooh...a bumblebee!  Even that car mentions collision work done...and paint.  No reason to pick up a car with that history.

By way of example Greg, my 2009 911 has had zero repairs, just regular maintenance at factory prescribed intervals. 

In my view, better to spend a bit more on a clean car, no paint or collisions or body work and also one without any IMS issues...

One other place to check is the Lonestar Facebook page...if you put out a post there specifying what you are looking for, you'll get folks who are PCA members and someone may have a vehicle that fits your specs.
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #188 on: April 06, 2016, 01:51:21 PM »
Just turned up a 2007 Cayman S:  yellow, loaded, 41K miles, local individual seller, also had some repairs--

That looks pretty clean.  Ask the guy what got "bumped".  I'd guess the front bumper got punched.  A new cover, squirt of paint and you save thousands because of a Carfax record.
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

lucydad

« Reply #189 on: April 06, 2016, 03:13:43 PM »
Paul,

I hear you.  The IMS issue is something I am aware of.  Have to get to a 2009, I think, to avoid?  Read a lot of conflicting info on IMS.

Love the yellow. Reminds me of the Ski-Doo snowmobiles of my youth:  the 3 cylinder, 2 strokes with expansion chambers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SYsDh_tyIw

No response from seller yet. 

Also emailed response to General manager Porsche North specifying what I am looking for.  He is doing his job trying to figure out why I disengaged from the black Cayman.

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #190 on: April 06, 2016, 04:47:58 PM »
The IMS issue is something I am aware of.  Have to get to a 2009, I think, to avoid?  Read a lot of conflicting info on IMS.

http://theimssolution.com/ims-101/
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

lucydad

« Reply #191 on: April 07, 2016, 04:39:13 PM »
The 2007 yellow Cayman S gets more "interesting".  Full disclosure from owner:  car bought at auction, was totaled out,  spent a huge sum on local repairs, OEM parts, some used though
Full documentation of repairs.  Glancing front left hit, moderate speed, but deployed airbags.  Very minor frame damage.  Repair by local shop specializes in Porsches and exotics.

Owner is a local lawyer.  Wife bought it for him as birthday present.  Car never tracked, and he self described as gentle driver.

My guess is given the car's history that dealers would not take it in trade, or purchase it.  He's got a very difficult problem.

If I bought the car, resale in future would be extremely difficult also given history.

But, damn its a pretty thing.  Cars can be repaired.  I have not killed the option yet.  Not sure if I should proceed with asking for inspection, and other items.

Determining the true value of the car is difficult. 

Advice?  Run?  Hide?  Keep looking? 

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #192 on: April 07, 2016, 04:52:36 PM »
Just one thing; If you buy it and decide to sell it later, you're going to be in the same boat that the present owner is in.  A car with that history is very difficult to sell unless the price is SUBSTANTIALLY under blue book value.   Like 40-50% below.
NO longer can ride

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #193 on: April 07, 2016, 05:06:11 PM »
Don't the armadillos chase after the Yellow Ones?

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #194 on: April 07, 2016, 05:12:37 PM »

If I bought the car, resale in future would be extremely difficult also given history.

And it still needs the IMS update or it has two strikes on it.
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

lucydad

« Reply #195 on: April 07, 2016, 06:22:16 PM »
Killed the yellow Cayman S.

Learning as I go. 

Seller was very good on full disclosure though. 

Back to the hunt.  2009+ model years = no IMS issues, right?

Great Guzzi ride today, but another hard restart after parked in sun, and engine hot. 

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #196 on: April 07, 2016, 06:38:40 PM »
Great Guzzi ride today, but another hard restart after parked in sun, and engine hot.

Is your evaporative canister still on the bike?  If any of these are clogged, it could cause your hard restart problem:
1. tank overflow line
2. tank breather line
3. evaporative canister
They're all connected together and if anything is clogged, when the tank gets hot from sitting in the sun, it can cause pressure to build from the combination of gas fumes & heat.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 06:39:50 PM by jackson »
NO longer can ride

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #197 on: April 07, 2016, 07:07:32 PM »
make sure you drive several cars before you get hooked on a particular model.  I drove a Boxster and knew that it wasn't for me.  I wasn't ready for the $$ for a 911, nor did I want to drive something that could kill me either.  And the maintenance costs for any Porsche isn't trivial either.  So no Porsches for me.

So I knew what I wanted, the models and years I was interested in and then I found a bargain on a creampuff.  So far so good.  And I've done a couple of track runs.  Now I hope this animal doesn't kill me too.  But unlike some performance cars (cough-new Mustang-cough) you can drive a 'vette like an old lady without spilling your coffee.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 12:34:32 AM by LowRyter »
John L 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here