Author Topic: Don't you hate to give a bike away?  (Read 11073 times)

Offline Cal3

• Hatchling
Re: Don't you hate to give a bike away?
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2019, 04:45:56 PM »
On mileage.....yeah, I have to agree. There are so many low miles used bikes for sale that most people wont bother with a high mile bike, even though some may give many more miles of service. When I am trolling for a late model used bike, I dont even look at anything with 20K or over

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2019, 04:46:32 PM »
Some bikes see appreciation eventually, some don’t.  Most Guzzis have done so, but I think the Breva derivatives have very little appeal to classic bike buyers and won’t in the future, no more so than an R1150R BMW.  I think most of them will eventually see their engine and engine parts used in custom bikes, with the bike being worth about as much as its engine.

You're absolutely correct on the Breva series and the oilhead BMWs. I have a very nice R1100R that was worth around $3500 2 years ago, about $2500 last summer, and can't seem to generate any interest in it this summer at even $1500. And it's not just me or this bike, I watch nice rides being reposted on Ebay weekly with price drops, to ridiculous levels, and either not selling at all or being bought at prices I'd be ashamed to even offer a seller 2 years ago.

With the older riders aging out and not buying bikes, even selling the ones they have, and few younger folks being interested in riding, with a very few model exceptions, the used motorcycle business is circling the drain, and probably will never improve. I'm thinking of giving my top shape R1100R to a good friend who got into a bind recently and had to sell his own BMW. I'd much rather give it to him than to a stranger.
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
'00 Jackal,'89 Mille GT,'03 Cali Stone
4 Airheads, '88 K75,'99 BMW R1100R
___________________ ___________
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Mark Twain

oldbike54

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2019, 04:51:37 PM »
I'm on my third price reduction with this trusty ride. I just don't get it....runs like new!

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/d/mays-landing-harley-davidson-road-glide/6910250879.html

Not trying to sound snarky , but average trade in for that bike is only about $6K with average mileage , which is probably what , 30K miles . Older HD's don't hold their value now like they did 10 years ago , too many for sale , very few buyers .

Dusty

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2019, 05:15:43 PM »
I can understand why there are little to no interest in the Harley with that mileage. As Dusty said, not being snarky, whatever that means anyway, but when one knows the cost of almost any repairs at the HD dealership it a roll of the dice when something IS going to fail and there a hundreds of very low mileage Harley’s out there in that year range at very reasonable prices. Last word if it were mine I’d be just like the seller here, I’d get what I thought it was worth or let her sit and hang my jackets on the handle bars:)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 06:19:30 PM by Ncdan »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2019, 05:15:43 PM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2019, 05:57:58 PM »
I can understand why there are little to no interest in the Harley with that mileage. As Dusty said, not being snarky, whatever that means anyway, but when one knows the cost of almost any repairs at the HD dealership it a roll of the dice when something IS going to fail and there a hundreds of very low mileage Harley’s out there in that year range at very reasonable prices. Last word if it were mine I’d be just like the seller here, I’d get what I thought it was worth or let her sit and hand my jackets on the handle bars:)

Now this is just me, and I know this doesn't suit everyone, but I don't sell anything until I WANT TO SELL IT.   And by Sell It I mean take what the market will give for it, and not worry about what it "should be" worth, or what the "book value" is, or how much I paid for it, or anything.   It's only worth one number, and that's what someone will give for it.

We've been decluttering lately, and we've sent a lot of furniture and old equipment  and tractors to consignment auctions.   I sold a Ferguson 50 tractor, and I was perfectly happy to take the $1800 that was the sum of the judgments of 50 farmers who needed a tractor to pull a cart or a hay rake ...

I really have no room to make good on my bluff of "If I can't get what I know it's worth, I'll just keep it".    I've been keeping some of this stuff for 40 years, and it's time to go, regardless.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2019, 06:21:25 PM »
Now this is just me, and I know this doesn't suit everyone, but I don't sell anything until I WANT TO SELL IT.   And by Sell It I mean take what the market will give for it, and not worry about what it "should be" worth, or what the "book value" is, or how much I paid for it, or anything.   It's only worth one number, and that's what someone will give for it.

We've been decluttering lately, and we've sent a lot of furniture and old equipment  and tractors to consignment auctions.   I sold a Ferguson 50 tractor, and I was perfectly happy to take the $1800 that was the sum of the judgments of 50 farmers who needed a tractor to pull a cart or a hay rake ...

I really have no room to make good on my bluff of "If I can't get what I know it's worth, I'll just keep it".    I've been keeping some of this stuff for 40 years, and it's time to go, regardless.

Lannis
Your one statement says it all Lannis, “it worth what someone will give for it”👍👍

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2019, 06:29:58 PM »
I'm on my third price reduction with this trusty ride. I just don't get it....runs like new!

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/d/mays-landing-harley-davidson-road-glide/6910250879.html

I know this bike.  Yes, it's a big Harley pig but very well maintained.  I would think some sleeveless guy wearing fingerless gloves would buy it just to point at the odometer while parked at the local WaWa convienence store?  Look at THESE miles!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 05:58:42 AM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

oldbike54

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2019, 06:38:23 PM »
I know this bike.  Yes, it's a big Harley pig but very well maintained.  I would think some sleeveless guy wearing fingerless gloves would buy it just to point at the odometer while parked at the local WaWa convienence store?  Look ar THESE miles!

Don't HD dashboards go blank when they aren't running ? Makes it hard to brag  :laugh:

Dusty

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2019, 06:44:29 PM »
Don't HD dashboards go blank when they aren't running ? Makes it hard to brag  :laugh:

Dusty

They'd have to start it up and blip the throttle a few times.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2019, 06:46:18 PM »

Dusty
Well, maybe he left it running because the battery was going bad, just so he could point to the miles on his Harley while sitting at the WaWa store. By the way, what’s a WaWa store do?

oldbike54

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2019, 06:49:01 PM »
Well, maybe he left it running because the battery was going bad, just so he could point to the miles on his Harley while sitting at the WaWa store. By the way, what’s a WaWa store do?

They sell Wa Was , obviously you haven't ever watched *clerks*  :laugh:

On second thought ,  :angry:don't watch that movie , it doesn't make any sense  :shocked:

Dusty

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2019, 06:53:18 PM »
They sell Wa Was , obviously you haven't ever watched *clerks*  :laugh:

On second thought ,  :angry:don't watch that movie , it doesn't make any sense  :shocked:

Dusty
Ok, I got it Dusty. My wife informed me it was a northern thing and that being from the south I wouldn’t understand:(.  She’s from southern Jersey, I see how it is now😂

Offline Jim Rich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2019, 08:26:58 PM »
The key to this whole thing is - if you can't text on your phone while driving/riding it, it is not worth having.  They are all on the friggin phone.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2019, 08:33:09 PM »
Yeah, the phone. I just got tickets for the Dead & Co for Tuesday and they sent them to me on the phone. 

The bigger deal is that you can't purchase tickets from the venue, only from resellers.  I am not sure why $50 tickets sell for $150 when you tack on service fees and get "resold" from the original seller?   And you never know the final cost with the tack-ons until you buy them.  And the reseller sites vary by about 50% for tickets in the same section.   And I have the option of selling my tickets after I bought them.  Really?

Shit, my 1200 Bandit ain't worth the price of two tickets.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2019, 08:42:49 PM »
I enjoyed reading the many opinions about putting the 1200 Sport on the market.  And agree with most of them.
- Pete saying that the CARC bikes were probably the best bikes to come out of Mandello.
- all those who said 'its only worth what someone will pay for it.
- those who suggested parking it in the garage since selling it won't do anything but free up a small amount of space.

68,000 miles isn't much if I personally intend to keep the bike and use it when called for, like for example. a ride calling for a full on mile muncher with bags and enough wind protection.  Thinking about my son, his wife, and daughter moving to Shelby, NC soon.  The 12S would probably be the best of my 3 bikes for riding from NE Ohio to there and back.

I was initially thinking about having a little bit of cash in the 'next bike' account.  But it's hardly worth doing.

Thanks, all, for your thoughts.

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline LongRanger

• Gosling
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2019, 09:35:44 PM »
After looking in the mirror, I swallowed hard and decided to sell my all-time favorite '98 K1200RS with 134,000 miles. Aside from tires, brake pads, batteries, fluids, and filters, the bike was in excellent condition and cost me nothing to own over the 21 years I owned it. I paid $18k for the bike new and was pleased to get $1600 for it. A few hundred dollars either way would have made no difference to me.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 09:37:59 PM by LongRanger »
2012 BMW R1200R Classic

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2019, 09:37:57 PM »
I enjoyed reading the many opinions about putting the 1200 Sport on the market.  And agree with most of them.
- Pete saying that the CARC bikes were probably the best bikes to come out of Mandello.
- all those who said 'its only worth what someone will pay for it.
- those who suggested parking it in the garage since selling it won't do anything but free up a small amount of space.

68,000 miles isn't much if I personally intend to keep the bike and use it when called for, like for example. a ride calling for a full on mile muncher with bags and enough wind protection.  Thinking about my son, his wife, and daughter moving to Shelby, NC soon.  The 12S would probably be the best of my 3 bikes for riding from NE Ohio to there and back.

I was initially thinking about having a little bit of cash in the 'next bike' account.  But it's hardly worth doing.

Thanks, all, for your thoughts.

Bob

I concur, Bob.  You've made the right decision.  Hell, I've got three of them, and I'm not going to part with any for the same reason.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2019, 10:22:19 PM »

That's easy. Why buy the 100k+ mile one when there are thousands or tens of thousands available with a fraction of that.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2019, 10:24:58 PM »

Dusty

Jokes aside, you don't need the key to see the mileage. Just press the trip meter button on a Harley that's not running with no key in the ignition and the odo lights up for a few seconds and shows the miles.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2019, 10:49:37 PM »
 Am I the only one who really never forms an emotional attachment to mechanical devices ?

Dusty

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2019, 11:10:37 PM »
Am I the only one who really never forms an emotional attachment to mechanical devices ?

Dusty

Wouldn't you call your motorcycle a "mechanical device"?

You heathen!!! :violent1:

oldbike54

« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2019, 11:28:20 PM »
Wouldn't you call your motorcycle a "mechanical device"?

You heathen!!! :violent1:

That's really all it is , a tool , like a saw or a wrench . Yes , I love the feeling it can give me , but it is still just a mechanical device .

Dusty

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2019, 11:59:51 PM »
Give away? Meh, sure to the right person, or just to get rid of something I don't want/need any more. I mean, crap, I pay a lot for booze and meals sometimes, but I don't think about them for a second when I'm done. Is it just this illusion of a depreciating asset? Well, ok, but if it doesn't OWE you anything, then why worry?

As for emotional attachments to innatimate objects, sure, why not. We're not talking marriage here, just an attachment. Finding the right stuff that makes your life better can certainly justify some fondness.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2019, 12:05:34 AM »
It’s a mechanical device that reflects with uncanny accuracy the values and priorities of the people that created it.  I think more so than any other kind of mechanical device.  When and if corporate homogeneity or whatever else removes that trait, I’ll be done buying new motorcycles.

oldbike54

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2019, 12:16:34 AM »
Give away? Meh, sure to the right person, or just to get rid of something I don't want/need any more. I mean, crap, I pay a lot for booze and meals sometimes, but I don't think about them for a second when I'm done. Is it just this illusion of a depreciating asset? Well, ok, but if it doesn't OWE you anything, then why worry?

As for emotional attachments to innatimate objects, sure, why not. We're not talking marriage here, just an attachment. Finding the right stuff that makes your life better can certainly justify some fondness.

I tend to be dispassionate about most things . I love my friends and family , Mother Nature , and my dog . My friend Bill from Madison WI describes motorcycles as "wonderful devices" , and they are . However if they are just sitting there , all they are is a device .

Go ahead , flame away .

Dusty

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2019, 06:40:05 AM »
no flame.. just a different mindset..  Ive always had a attachment for mechanical things. Strange maybe...  but you know... we are who we are.
Paul B

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2019, 07:21:09 AM »

Beautiful bike.  I'll guess the mileage is scaring off those buyers looking for a bike to brag about how low the miles are on it.
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2019, 08:24:15 AM »

Dusty

When one totally rebuilds a motorcycle himself - hands on every single piece - one tends to form an emotional attachment.
Charlie

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2019, 08:37:55 AM »
Neil Young: "Long May You Run."  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYna-UAt75c
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline kirby1923

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '81 CX100
  • Location: SoCal (rural) near Tehachapi CA, Rogers AR when in the states other times GMT+1 thu +6
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2019, 08:41:51 AM »
That's really all it is , a tool , like a saw or a wrench . Yes , I love the feeling it can give me , but it is still just a mechanical device .

Dusty

Yeah machines..

They are inanimate cold devices.... I've known people that could easily be described the same way.

But to a gearhead (guilty) some machines have a personality, for lack of a better word, and seem to be able to cop an attitude of sorts..

Imagination..a powerful force..no?

:-)
'81 CX100

A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the constant pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness.. Einstein,A

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here