Author Topic: 5 Sped Box Are the I/P & O/P Seal Rings Identical?  (Read 455 times)

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
5 Sped Box Are the I/P & O/P Seal Rings Identical?
« on: July 03, 2019, 08:52:34 AM »
So I ordered a seal kit from the UK spares people

I now have 2 seals that appear to be identical, brown in colour so probably Viton. Problem is Guzzi quote 2 different numbers for input (90403548) and output (90403547)

Size quoted is the same 35x47x7 but the input (Clutchshaft) is quoted as 35x47x7/6.5 whatever that's meant to mean

I'm wondering if it's safe just to put them in, as the differing part number relates to a different material, the input might see some heat but the output would not

Just confused and the last thing I want is to put it all together and then is starts to leak
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 09:20:45 AM by Old Jock »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: 5 Sped Box Are the I/P & O/P Seal Rings Identical?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 10:06:58 AM »
This is what I have experienced. They are not the same, front seal is normal placement of seal lip. The rear seal lip is closer to the bottom of seal to catch on the speedo drive spacer edge(or whatever it rides on).  If you use the same seal it will leak.
New bike learning from the 70's asking old dealers 'why'. There was no internet or forums.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 11:37:41 AM »
Gotcha Steve

Thanks I'll get onto them tomorrow, if push comes to shove I can just keep the old one in, bike is low miles and no leaks.

I was in there to replace the dodgy nylon caged bearings and thought it would be prudent to do the seals anyway.

Aprreciated

John

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 07:41:30 PM »
   I just recently had this same confusion, and Steve is right, they are not the same. But placement becomes obvious when you look at where the lip rides on the input and output.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 07:41:30 PM »

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 06:50:25 AM »
TBH I thought that was the case, but wishful thinking got in the way

I also came across something somewhere that stated the Clutchshaft is a double lipped Viton type the Layshaft is just a normal common or garden single lipped seal.

Damm it all

The replies were much appreciated, thanks

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here