Author Topic: NGC - Maybe this getting old thing isn't so bad after all  (Read 2522 times)

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
NGC - Maybe this getting old thing isn't so bad after all
« on: July 03, 2019, 03:42:30 PM »
Never had a lovely young lady physically chase me!  Until today.

I'd just purchased a Shop Manual for my 2014 Honda CB1100 this afternoon at the local (large) multi brand dealer.  No sooner had I started out of their parking lot, than I saw her chasing after me.  Whatever could this mean?

Oh ..... I see ..... I left my wallet on the sales counter.  Maybe this getting old thing is bad.

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline craigclu

• Hatchling
Re: NGC - Maybe this getting old thing isn't so bad after all
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 03:55:55 PM »
I found a hat full of money and had this guy with a guitar chase me for blocks....??
He who is without oil shall cast out the first rod...”-Detonations 5:72.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 03:56:25 PM »

Oh ..... I see ..... I left my wallet on the sales counter.  Maybe this getting old thing is bad.

Bob

The BAD thing about getting old is that when you see something happening that you've seen often enough before to KNOW what will happen next ...

... and you SAY so ....

... you get called a "curmudgeon".    And when the thing DOES happen just like you said it would, it's the young people's memory that gets selective.

Oh well.   Today I'm 25 again.    Rolling a map into the handlebar map roller, packing clothes, packing hot-weather walking-around clothes, hats, sunscreen, making sure I've got tools, tire-fixing stuff, face-shield cleaners, lots of bottled water, and getting ready to head out about 0530 when it's cool to Mid Ohio, about 500 miles the way I'm going (non-Interstate).   

Nothing like a nice long ride, meeting up with friends, and taking 2 or 3 days coming back across the Appalachians the long way.   Stelvio's ready, I'm ready, even if it does take a pre-emptive strike of Ibuprofin to finish the day ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 04:03:48 PM »
The BAD thing about getting old is that when you see something happening that you've seen often enough before to KNOW what will happen next ...

... and you SAY so ....

... you get called a "curmudgeon".    And when the thing DOES happen just like you said it would, it's the young people's memory that gets selective.

Oh well.   Today I'm 25 again.    Rolling a map into the handlebar map roller, packing clothes, packing hot-weather walking-around clothes, hats, sunscreen, making sure I've got tools, tire-fixing stuff, face-shield cleaners, lots of bottled water, and getting ready to head out about 0530 when it's cool to Mid Ohio, about 500 miles the way I'm going (non-Interstate).   

Nothing like a nice long ride, meeting up with friends, and taking 2 or 3 days coming back across the Appalachians the long way.   Stelvio's ready, I'm ready, even if it does take a pre-emptive strike of Ibuprofin to finish the day ....

Lannis
Have fun.  I totally forgot the Vintage Days weekend was upcoming.  If you're on US 250 or US 30 when you hit the Wooster OH area, peel off to SR95 from Wooster to Butler, then SR97 into Lexington.  Not tricky roads, just pleasant.

Best wishes,

Bob
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 04:06:57 PM by ohiorider »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 04:03:48 PM »

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 04:11:54 PM »
I found a hat full of money and had this guy with a guitar chase me for blocks....??

Luv it!

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 04:15:12 PM »
Have fun.  I totally forgot the Vintage Days weekend was upcoming.  If you're on US 250 or US 30 when you hit the Wooster OH area, peel off to SR95 from Wooster to Butler, then SR97 into Lexington.  Not tricky roads, just pleasant.

Best wishes,

Bob

Actually, that's the going-home plan.   Going up is US29, and VA130 to US60 to Charleston, then back roads up to US33, then back roads to OH13 up to Belleville, then Lexington.

Going home is OH 97 and other back roads to US250 south of Wooster, then US250 all the way through Ohio, WV, and VA to Afton, VA, then VA151 and US29 home.

Gonna be hot but should be a nice ride.   I can stand hot weather easier now that I'm older, I think.

Lannis
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 04:22:10 PM by Lannis »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 06:51:14 PM »
Never had a lovely young lady physically chase me!  Until today.

I'd just purchased a Shop Manual for my 2014 Honda CB1100 this afternoon at the local (large) multi brand dealer.  No sooner had I started out of their parking lot, than I saw her chasing after me.  Whatever could this mean?

Bob

You ain't alone.  Anyone seen my keys?

Of crap, did I leave my phone somewhere, in the diner?  CRAP!

Wallet?  Grateful the credit cards are there.  I'm not gonna count the cash, can't know what was there anyway.    :cry:

Edit: glad I can relate to you guys.  Old and riders.   And a friend is getting quintuple bypass on Friday.  There was nothing wrong with him until he went to see the (new) Doc.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 06:55:04 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 07:01:58 PM »
Thank goodness for lies we tell ourselves.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 07:20:56 PM »
You ain't alone.  Anyone seen my keys?

Of crap, did I leave my phone somewhere, in the diner?  CRAP!

Wallet?  Grateful the credit cards are there.  I'm not gonna count the cash, can't know what was there anyway.    :cry:

Edit: glad I can relate to you guys.  Old and riders.   And a friend is getting quintuple bypass on Friday.  There was nothing wrong with him until he went to see the (new) Doc.
Best wishes to your friend on his bypass surgery.  Hope this doesn't sound like a mileage brag, but back in 2001, at the tender age of 58, I found myself getting short of breath on a ride with a few others to the BRP.  Amazingly, I attributed it to a slight case of asthma.  Got home, went to a local restaurant, and ordered a farmboy breakfast.  Woman I'd never seen walked past and commented 'guess you don't worry about heart trouble!'  As I walked back to the little W650, I wondered, 'could it be?'

Stopped by the urgent care center, and half hour later, I was on my way in the EMS vehicle to the Cleveland Clinic, main campus.

Hmmm .... after a few days of tests, they determined I needed a bypass or two, or three.  Ended up being six.  Survived that.

One aortic valve later in 2016, and I still enjoy throwing a leg over the bike.  Contemplating a trip out West later this summer on my R100GS (or the 1200 Sport.)

Let your friend know there is riding after all this commotion!

Bob

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 07:43:40 PM »
Best wishes to your friend on his bypass surgery.  Hope this doesn't sound like a mileage brag, but back in 2001, at the tender age of 58, I found myself getting short of breath on a ride with a few others to the BRP.  Amazingly, I attributed it to a slight case of asthma.  Got home, went to a local restaurant, and ordered a farmboy breakfast.  Woman I'd never seen walked past and commented 'guess you don't worry about heart trouble!'  As I walked back to the little W650, I wondered, 'could it be?'

Stopped by the urgent care center, and half hour later, I was on my way in the EMS vehicle to the Cleveland Clinic, main campus.

Hmmm .... after a few days of tests, they determined I needed a bypass or two, or three.  Ended up being six.  Survived that.

One aortic valve later in 2016, and I still enjoy throwing a leg over the bike.  Contemplating a trip out West later this summer on my R100GS (or the 1200 Sport.)

Let your friend know there is riding after all this commotion!

Bob

Thanks for that.  I appreciate your honesty and moral support.  He hasn't ridden in years but he's a very good friend.  I've lost too many, mostly due to geography and attitude. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 09:31:48 PM »

Be thankful it wasn't a guy with an accordion.

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 10:20:53 PM »
The movie comes out in November:
 https://youtu.be/zyYgDtY2AMY
Kirk

Offline Penderic

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2019, 11:13:40 PM »

:tongue:

Offline marcmorrison

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2019, 11:39:44 PM »
You're only young once but you can be immature for a lifetime!!
1999 MG Bassa (pearl white)

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2019, 06:25:37 AM »
I find myself getting much more exercise due to having to make multiple trips back and forth around the house due to always forgetting to grab something the first time around.
GldierJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2019, 07:19:46 AM »
...and... reverse letters when typing.  :grin:
Gldier
I type teh more often than the..also very common. Harley Bob says he doesn't understand how you can do that, but he can't type. He's a two finger hunt n pecker.. :cool: :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2019, 07:38:48 AM »
I find myself getting much more exercise due to having to make multiple trips back and forth around the house due to always forgetting to grab something the first time around.
GldierJohn

John,  I believe we might have the same DNA!
Tex

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2019, 08:15:02 AM »
A guy I know told a bunch of us that for the first time in many years a 20-year old woman had her hands on his penis. He went on to say that unfortunately it was to put in a catheter prior to surgery.

Rich A

Offline DougG

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2019, 08:25:34 AM »
Ah, but I was so much older then
I'm younger than that now...B Dylan

Be well,
DougG
A possum playing possum is no big deal.  Find one that can play giraffe, now you got yourself something!

Offline Howard R

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2019, 08:35:36 AM »
Here's a tip for a forgetful guy (can't say for old guys because I've been doing it for decades, so it didn't start when I got old.)   Whenever I take something out of my wallet which needs to go back in it: driver's license, credit card, waiting for change back from a cash payment, I keep the wallet in my hand until I get whatever I need, then put the wallet back in the pocket.
Littlestown, PA  USA

1996 Sport 1100
1998 Centauro

MGNOC # L-707

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2019, 08:43:26 AM »
Hope I can keep remembering to put the kick stand down on the Norge and putting the kickstand up on the T-3.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2019, 08:46:29 AM »
GldierJohn

Falling down and getting up again can be good exercise.  It's more likely when you wear bifocals and don't notice that your peripheral vision has declined.  :violent1:
John L 

Offline Ryan

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2019, 09:17:43 AM »
Heart stuff scares me. My best friend had a leaky valve, but ignored the symptoms (tired, no energy to climb stairs) and wrote it off as just being exhausted from over-working. His wife dragged him to the doctor when his short-term memory started to go. The blood flow to his brain had been reduced for so long, he suffered permanent damage and now can barely hold down a job. When my doc said "that's a hell of a murmur" I got checked out immediately, even though I had no other symptoms. I am fine, but now I know. Point is, your heart can struggle and you won't know it until the damage is permanent. Listen to your docs, guys, and you will ride longer.

Offline wolfeguitars

• Jay Wolfe
  • New Egg
    • Wolfe Guitars
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2019, 09:48:52 AM »
Some wise person said "do not disparage growing old. It's a privilege denied to many."
    I have now lost many friends, and especially my best riding Pals. I recently had a few episodes that concerned me and spent some time with the Docs getting poked & prodded, They insist I'm gonna live forever & to go home- drink more water, lose 10 lbs. & do some exercise. I say..."are you sure??…...they say- GO HOME, you are in excellent health. Most in my family live to be over 100. Cardiologist said 80% of guys my age that arrive at emergency rooms are merely dehydrated. Says "don't wait til you're thirsty to drink some water." I pass this wisdom on to you all. Free of charge.
I ride to work, ride to eat, ride to nowhere for nothing.
* Moto Guzzi 2002 California 1100EV w/ Sidecar
* Ducati 1990 851
* Ducati 1993 900 Supersport

Offline wittangamo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2019, 10:28:56 AM »
"don't wait til you're thirsty to drink some water." I pass this wisdom on to you all. Free of charge.

Likewise, pee when you can, not when you have to.
Deceive, Inveigle and Obfuscate

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2019, 10:36:07 AM »
Likewise, pee when you can, not when you have to.

-Rick Steves
John L 

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2019, 02:20:56 PM »

Best wishes,

Bob

Just got done with almost 500 miles in the heat and sitting on the front porch of a nice B&B, and it was the easiest, most pleasant miles I've ever done. Weather was perfect, roads were empty, bike felt like a barca lounger, and I was saying "Am I there already?" at every new line on the map roller.

Sometimes it's the opposite, like a bike version of a horrible forced March, but not today!

Lannis, at age 30 again

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2019, 04:05:19 PM »
Just got done with almost 500 miles in the heat and sitting on the front porch of a nice B&B, and it was the easiest, most pleasant miles I've ever done. Weather was perfect, roads were empty, bike felt like a barca lounger, and I was saying "Am I there already?" at every new line on the map roller.

Sometimes it's the opposite, like a bike version of a horrible forced March, but not today!

Lannis, at age 30 again

Yep, it was just one of those days in the midwest that happen all too infrequently any more.. the old G5 was the perfect tool for the job of making me 30 again, too.  :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Jim Rich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2019, 09:49:40 AM »
Bikes = Time Machines

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2019, 06:44:47 PM »
Lannis, is old US 250 still a little bumpy from all the fracking trucks running over it?  I'd ridden it several times in the 1985 to 2010 time frame, but with a lapse until 2017, when I picked up the CB1100 from a dealer in Bridgeport WV.  The ride home was horrible, mainly due to how beaten up the road had become since I'd ridden it in the past.

Regardless, I imagine the 'Stealthy Stelvio' ate those bumps easily.  Hopefully the road has had some $$ thrown at repairs.

Bob
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 11:01:09 AM by ohiorider »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here