Author Topic: Start point for rebody & tank project  (Read 1492 times)

Offline wcguzzi

• Gosling
Start point for rebody & tank project
« on: March 05, 2016, 03:17:54 PM »
This is the last of 35 years working as a process engineer for a NorCal refinery. Daughter moved out, dog passed, house remodel near completion - now its our time.  My wife plans to work a couple more years, probably to stay away from me as I deal with the transition. Anyway my plan is to pick up a late model bike with the idea of riding and sorting ergos this spring/ summer, then make new alu body and tank this winter when I've got serious garage time. But what startpoint?

After the last cafe project (G5 based project described here in the My Latte thread), I definitely want  something with human, not orangutan, ergos. Good suspension and not too heavy - suitable for the goat trails that pass for scenic bay area California secondary roads. On a nice day it would cover 300 to 400 miles in a comfortable, reliable, semi-sporting fashion. Character strongly preferred which has ruled out most Japanese bikes. Considering a '08 Duc Multistrada 1100 S, '09 Tuono factory (pre V4 w Ohlins). Maybe a late model Griso. Griso's are pretty to start with but a larger tank would be nice. Have heard Triumph Tigers are a bit heavy handling in tight stuff. My experience w KTM 990 (Adventure) is they are similarly competent, but overkill and overweight.

Your thoughts if inclined. Likely to end up here as a project thread. Thanks in advance.

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Start point for rebody & tank project
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 05:28:56 PM »
I'd like to see a Griso with a larger tank, so why don't you go for that?  :cool:
If you can find a pretty 1100 / 2 valves per cylinder that might be a financially sound starting point.
OTOH, the Griso might be a little heavy for your purpose.
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline wcguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 06:36:40 PM »
May almost be a market for A good looking larger Griso tank to justify making the buck and the 8v engine would be new to me. A clean slate in terms of making a bit of fairing. So that remains a candidate. I've owned an '02 Le Mans and '04 Nero Corsa which were beautiful, long on character and lovely to ride. But heavy handling and the engine, while capable, was not thrilling.
At 6'2", 190 lbs, i'd like to sit up. Other than a Multi, I'll need to do some ergo work w risers. The case for the earlier Multistrada is they were so ugly That a redesigned tank and fairing would be an improvement.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 02:59:49 AM »
If you are doing goat tracks, you'll be wanting something on the light side, with lots of low down torque. And if you want modern, there's the KTM 690, perhaps the Duke. It should be tall enough, and it's ugly enough to need a new suit of clothes, but the high tech electronics might be a challenge to work around. The Enfield would be a lot easier - it's got the torque, the right size wheels, the handling, loads of character & a vast array of cafe mods are available. It just might not have the top end power to be comfortable on some US roads, or the support network. Something with the Suzuki 650 twin motor, the DL, SV, or the korean & chinese clones is a possibility - a proven motor (if it has the characteristics you are after) & easily available parts & accessories. Check out the Egli-framed version of this by Sachs. The new Triumph (Bonneville) is supposed to have more torque coming in a lot further down & it certainly needs lightening. There's loads of possible contenders out there. Have fun.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 02:59:49 AM »

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 08:26:54 AM »
With the Multistradas, you should be aware of tank swelling problems. The plastic they used to make the tanks can be damaged by ethanol. There was supposed to be a replacement tank made by an CA cycleworks, but I sold my Multi and don't know how that turned out.

Rich A

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 09:24:33 AM »
Glad you are back and I'm sure any project of yours will be top notch! I do remember your G5 project, and I'm still enjoying some of the original G5 parts I picked up from you.

This sounds like outside your criteria, but wanted to throw it out to you as an alternate.

The California 1400 is really growing on me and I see lots of potential in them for customs. I never thought so, until I saw this one:

http://www.venier-customs.com

Good luck with any direction you go, and looking forward to any progress pics of your project concept.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 08:06:15 AM by Groover »
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here