Author Topic: Frozen Bowden  (Read 3418 times)

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
Frozen Bowden
« on: December 15, 2016, 05:15:29 PM »
 Once again a Volar Portex has us by the short and curlies here. 26 blustery degrees this morning when I hit the road to yoga class. Took Biffy the KLR, cause Sopowa the Indian Scout is miserably reluctant to start cold (despite being manufactured by a snowmobile company), while Biffy boasts a battery as big as any bike twice its size, as well as an automagic compression release. She starts in a snap in single digits. By end of day, forecast is for 11 degrees.

By the time I emerged, temps had already dived to 23. Engine started right up, no prob. But the clutch bowden cable, that's where Biffy's problem lies. Gets too cold, the damn thing freezes in its sheath. I dunno whether there's moisture in there that turns to ice, or whether the sheath shrinks faster than the cable, pinching it up, or some other idea I haven't plumbed. Good thing I left Biffy out of gear, is all I know. Cause my only known solution is to start her up and let her fast idle until engine heat thaws the cable loose. The fact it does thaw loose indicates the stuck part is apt to be toward the nether end. I do carry a spare clutch cable ready routed beside the one in use; but still, I don't fancy snapping the end off the active cable by forcing the lever too hard. Yes, I have in the past tried lubing the cable to no effect. Yes, the fact Biffy is a KLR means the nether end of that cable might get dipped in a crick on rare occasion, introducing damp inside the sheath which might never have an opportunity to seep out.

So here's my questions:

1) How's the Jackal apt to start in single digits?

2) Anyone had similar bowden cable stickage?

3) Found a way to prevent it?

« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 05:47:12 PM by oldbike54 »
Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

oldbike54

Re: Frozen Bowden
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 05:25:55 PM »
 The Jackal should start fine with a bit of throttle if the battery is good .
 Try pulling the cable and hanging it vertically in a nice warm place .

Dusty

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 05:28:21 PM »
17 degrees this evening and the local scooter boys on the sub-50 bikes are out and about.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 06:02:32 PM »
I feel like I gave good advice in this thread regarding the Jackal's ability to cool, weight of oil, and watching for emulsification?
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 06:02:32 PM »

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 09:31:10 PM »
When I think of 'Frozen Bowden', I remember of two towns of that name in western Canada - a small one in Alberta, and a really tiny hamlet in Manitoba. Both qualify for the description, and in another month will really be frozen!  :shocked:
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 09:47:25 PM »
I'd guess that you do have some amount of water in the cable.  Decades ago when I lived in Bethesda, MD, I went out to my '74 Vega to go to work.  It was about 10F outside, and I hadn't changed the 20W-50 oil from the previous summer.  When I hit the starter, the engine didn't turn anywhere fast enough to start.  So, wanting to get to work, I went in the house and got a bucket of room temperature water and poured it down the side of the block.  Then I got a bucket of lukewarm water and did the same.  Last, I got a bucket of hot water and did it again.  The engine started right up and I drove to work.

The next day it wasn't as cold out, so the car started fine, and I idled down my street to the stop sign.  I turned left and tried to give it some gas, but the throttle cable was completely frozen.  Obviously I had gotten some water in the cable.  Bemused, I used my hands to warm it up enough to get it free, but I'll always remember that chain of events.   :grin:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 09:48:07 PM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 12:32:52 AM »
Bloody hell, I never realised how fortunate I am out here ! That's pretty hard core, never heard of that sort of stuff, been to Nordkapp and John O' Groats but nothing like that, it was a balmy (barmy ?) 4 deg C for me, I didn't even know that COULD happen...Well done !
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 12:34:24 AM by Huzo »

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 05:11:30 AM »
"I went out to my '74 Vega to go to work."

I haven't heard anyone say that in some time.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 07:13:09 AM »
I'd guess that you do have some amount of water in the cable.  Decades ago when I lived in Bethesda, MD, I went out to my '74 Vega to go to work.  It was about 10F outside, and I hadn't changed the 20W-50 oil from the previous summer.  When I hit the starter, the engine didn't turn anywhere fast enough to start.  So, wanting to get to work, I went in the house and got a bucket of room temperature water and poured it down the side of the block.  Then I got a bucket of lukewarm water and did the same.  Last, I got a bucket of hot water and did it again.  The engine started right up and I drove to work.

The next day it wasn't as cold out, so the car started fine, and I idled down my street to the stop sign.  I turned left and tried to give it some gas, but the throttle cable was completely frozen.  Obviously I had gotten some water in the cable.  Bemused, I used my hands to warm it up enough to get it free, but I'll always remember that chain of events.   :grin:

There ya go! A fellow soul!

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 07:14:58 AM »
Frozen!?!  (Yes....frozen!!)  - LOL - A few "FROZEN" images from my business trip last week to Montreal-Potsdam.  Temperatures ranged from -5 degrees F and below!!  Quite and adventure!!

image upload
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

oldbike54

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 07:19:19 AM »
 JJ , you're doing the Southern AZ/Upstate NY thing bassackwards  :laugh:

Dusty

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 07:24:02 AM »
JJ , you're doing the Southern AZ/Upstate NY thing bassackwards  :laugh:

Dusty

Yes,  :shocked: :rolleyes: :wink: but fortunately, this was my LAST business trip for 2016 - - so I am DONE traveling like a Big Dog until after Jan. 1st!! 

I will post some SUNNY northern Arizona photos this weekend to cheer everyone up!! :cool:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 07:25:35 AM by JJ »
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2016, 08:06:30 AM »
"I went out to my '74 Vega to go to work."

I haven't heard anyone say that in some time.

I may be able to say it again someday, since I still have the car.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2016, 09:09:06 AM »
I misread it as Veglia..my bad; I thought Vega's rusted out within 3 years.  You must have a car wash converted to oiler in your garage.  Loved your story. You did awesome.

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2016, 08:15:46 PM »
I misread it as Veglia..my bad; I thought Vega's rusted out within 3 years.  You must have a car wash converted to oiler in your garage.  Loved your story. You did awesome.

I always liked the COSWORTH Vega from 1976!!  :thumb: :1: :cool:

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2016, 08:28:25 PM »
Cosworths were indeed great.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2016, 01:08:05 AM »

The Vega was once described, I believe, as a car that after a few years you could pass a piece of rebar through diagonally...
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Online Calculon

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2016, 01:42:00 AM »
Temperatures ranged from -5 degrees F and below!

As long as it's not windy, you're fine.  The thermometer in my car on my way home from work today about 11PM hit -20°F and it looks like it'll be that way for a few days, but less than a month ago, on the 19th, I took the Nevada to work.
2015 Honda Forza 300 ABS

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2016, 12:31:24 PM »
Too bad Chevy did't nickisil the stock Vega engine cylinder walls.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 12:33:26 PM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2016, 12:41:01 PM »
I'd guess that you do have some amount of water in the cable.  Decades ago when I lived in Bethesda, MD, I went out to my '74 Vega to go to work.  It was about 10F outside, and I hadn't changed the 20W-50 oil from the previous summer.  When I hit the starter, the engine didn't turn anywhere fast enough to start.  So, wanting to get to work, I went in the house and got a bucket of room temperature :shocked: water and poured it down the side of the block.  Then I got a bucket of lukewarm water and did the same.  Last, I got a bucket of hot water and did it again.  The engine started right up and I drove to work.

I used a hot plate.  Almost used a Coleman stove but thought the open flames might be a problem. :tongue:  Drove to Pottsville to get a muliti-wt. Oil and changed out the straight wt.  Waited too long.  :shocked:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2016, 01:50:53 PM »
Thinking back on it, I think it was actually about -10F at the time, not +10.  The 20W-50 was probably gelled.  The DC area doesn't often get below zero, but it does once in a while.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2016, 03:19:28 PM »
I may be able to say it again someday, since I still have the car.

Does it still run and or otherwise drivable?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 03:20:53 PM by redrider90 »
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2016, 03:57:45 PM »
Not at the moment, but it's fixable with some effort.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here