Author Topic: Pocket knifes. Do you carry one?  (Read 16321 times)

Offline nighthawk

• New Egg
Re: Pocket knifes. Do you carry one?
« Reply #120 on: March 07, 2017, 12:54:13 PM »
Can't get along without one. Now carry a dinky Swiss Army that usually serves my needs.
'89 Cali III(gone but not forgotten)
2000 Red Quota(gone-too tall)
2006 Kawasaki Concours(gone)
1990 Cali III Tour(gone)
2001 HD 1200 sportster(gone)
2000 Jackal(gone)
2006 HD 35th Anniv. SG(gone)
1999 Blue EV

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
« Reply #121 on: March 07, 2017, 01:06:01 PM »
The law re carrying a knife in England has become pretty strict in recent years, because of a wave of fatal stabbings, mainly in London. You now can't carry a knife without good reason unless it's folding and the blade is no longer than three inches.

I read somewheres how Russia has a murder rate about 20 times the rate here... and zero gun permits. It's mostly knives, fists, and clubs. Mostly while drunk. They have a couple very interesting TV docs showing their prisons.
Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #122 on: March 07, 2017, 02:10:03 PM »

How many of you find that if you carry a pocket knife that is too chunky, it winds up wearing a holes in your pocket or even wears a hole through the leg of the pants? I have ruined a few pair of pants that way over the years. Leatherman's must be carried in a belt sheath IME. Good thing I can sew!

Love to watch a Chinese chef chopping up vegetables with those all-purpose cleavers they use.

Practice, practice, practice.   If you do it for a living, you SHOULD be good at it.

Wearing out the pocket is a good point.   These days, I only carry little knives (2-1/2") in a pocket.   My Boker goes around my neck, my Spiderco Clipit on a clip on the pocket edge, and the Camillus #3 folder I'm carrying at the moment in a belt sheath ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #123 on: March 07, 2017, 02:32:32 PM »
Yep, a genuine Moto Guzzi swiss army from the mid 80's. Anyone else have one?
And for the Jeep guy"s here, I carry in mine a Jeep knife kit from the mid 50's. Came from my dads Panel Wagon. I wonder what thats worth? It even has the little pencil in it.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #123 on: March 07, 2017, 02:32:32 PM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #124 on: March 07, 2017, 02:57:16 PM »
I carry a Harper's Swiss Army knife. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #125 on: March 07, 2017, 08:42:25 PM »
I can't survive day to day without this Leatherman Micra, sometimes I carry the bigger Leatherman.
My first one was swiped, second was taken by a particularly ornery security person at the US Capital.
It's a damn fine product!

There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2017, 07:45:44 AM »
The law re carrying a knife in England has become pretty strict in recent years, because of a wave of fatal stabbings, mainly in London. You now can't carry a knife without good reason unless it's folding and the blade is no longer than three inches.

That does not surprise me.  But, except for the Leatherman, all of my pocket knives are small ones.  Got into that habit back when I flew a lot.  I did lose a nice Swiss army knife at Ontario airport.  I was in CA for a meeting when the first gulf war started.  I didn't know they changed the rules until I got in line.  After that I stopped carrying a pocket knife for a long time.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2017, 10:31:40 AM »
Interesting, the responses.

The "need" ranges from "I've never needed a knife so I don't carry one" to "I carry a knife (or tool) and use it every single day".

How does one person go, say, 10,000 days and doesn't use a knife, and the rest of us use one every day or (me) several times a week?   Are our environments and activities that different?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #128 on: March 09, 2017, 10:26:52 PM »
Well, it could be that instead of using a pocketknife a person keeps a utility knife or box cutter in their desk drawer.  When in the kitchen use a knife out of the drawer.  When in the shop pick up a pair of side cutters.  Or scissors.  For opening boxes sealed with tape I've used a house key.

Heck, until I showed my wife the scissors on a swiss army knife she wanted no part of them  :)

So, yeah, I can see how someone could get by without a pocketknife.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #129 on: March 20, 2017, 04:01:56 PM »
This is a good read on "Best Pocket Knives" by Popular Mechanics.   Some the knives that are mentioned are carried by forum members that posted on the thread.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/tools/g2975/best-pocket-knives/?src=nl&mag=pop&list=nl_pnl_news&date=030817
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #130 on: March 20, 2017, 06:10:30 PM »
Thanks, Tom.. :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here