Author Topic: Spark plug interchange  (Read 579 times)

Offline mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
Spark plug interchange
« on: May 18, 2022, 09:42:22 AM »
This has probably been asked previously but here goes . I’m looking for an Iridium plug for a 16 V7II . Can’t seem to get anywhere w/interchange tables . Thanks in advance !

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
Re: Spark plug interchange
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 11:51:21 AM »
I'm sorry I can't help you with your specific question, but I'm wondering why you want to install iridium plugs.  I have a related question regarding my 2021 V7E5, for which the manuals specify iridium plugs, and then want me to change them every 10,000 km (~6200 mi).  Seems like overkill to change iridium plugs that often.  Even if I plan to use the iridium plugs for >50,000 mi (which is specified for my Prius's iridium plugs), I'd still have to remove them every ~6200 mi to adjust the valves on the V7E5.  That means I'll flatten the spark plug gaskets and have to replace them.  Seems weird to me.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 12:41:33 PM »
I’m after longer plug life ! My V7/850 came with Iridium type plugs & Guzzi wants those changed @ 8k Mi. Intervals too !

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 06:53:34 AM »
As far as I know.. they offer no real advantage over conventional plugs except greatly extended plug life. Conventional plugs are cheap.. (Guzzi content) I generally change them when I adjust the valves.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 06:53:34 AM »

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 12:21:34 PM »
Whew!

I was scared this thread was gonna be about the transformation from male threads to female threads (no pun intended).
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Road Rocket

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2022, 08:29:03 AM »
Iridium plugs can be an advantage with weaker ignitions as they require less voltage to fire..We have older rototiller and other small engines that start easier with an iridium plug.
 They also can run a bit hotter than expected for the hear range.This may be an issue on engines prone to detonation..After about 1/2 hour running, check the discoloration on the plug ground strap..I did try iridiums in my old Triumph and BSA, made no difference..
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 08:30:12 AM by Road Rocket »
Rough Edge Racing with a new name but still the same pin head

Offline pete mcgee

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2022, 05:46:16 AM »
The reason to use them is their service life.
Yes they are expensive, here in Australia they are about 3x the cost of a standard plug but they get more than 3x the life of a standard plug.
I have a mk 3 lenans with over 330,000km on it, I have had both cylinders plug threads fail over the years and spit hot active plugs against my legs, in traffic, utterly wonderful.
So less replacing equals less stress on plug threads and less failures.
I recenly did a service on my youngest sons much neglected hyundai ( hes inherited his mothers lack of mechanical sympathy gene) the plugs had never been changed in 75,000 km, so I changed them, what got me was they all gapped within spec and were a good colour and If I hadnt already bought replacements were good enought to go back in.
So its up to you what you do, but iridiums are a better plug for longevity.
Cheers
Pete (no not the Bungendore one)

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people look intelligent until you hear them speak....

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here