Author Topic: Pass the salt  (Read 1598 times)

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
Pass the salt
« on: November 12, 2019, 07:11:06 PM »
Well, it's back.  First snow and ice event here in the northeast. Salt trucks were out all day and put down some serious rock salt and sand. Bad part is it's supposed to warm up again and be decent late season riding.
I used to be pretty anal about not getting that stuff all over my bikes, but after loosing my best friend to cancer last week, I don't think i really give a crap about it this time around. Life can be too short to worry about a little corrosion  on a motorbike you enjoy being out on.

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
Re: Pass the salt
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 07:52:57 PM »
Sorry to hear about your friend, Lucian.

Ride safe whenever you can and enjoy life enjoy life whenever you can.  Just be careful around that slippery sand....
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 06:10:10 AM »
Thanks  Cliffrod, My friend Keith was a great guy. We have been best friends for more than 45 years, best man at our wedding 35 years ago. He loved riding dirt bikes and trail bikes and restored many old classics. He was self employed and worked as a subcontractor in all the area boat yards doing mostly fiberglass restoration and repair and he was the best at it. He loved the outdoors and loved life and fought a good fight right up until l the end, despite some really tough setbacks. I've been working on a burial urn for him and it's been the hardest thing I've  ever had to do. Dave

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 06:34:25 AM »
Thanks  Cliffrod, My friend Keith was a great guy. We have been best friends for more than 45 years, best man at our wedding 35 years ago. He loved riding dirt bikes and trail bikes and restored many old classics. He was self employed and worked as a subcontractor in all the area boat yards doing mostly fiberglass restoration and repair and he was the best at it. He loved the outdoors and loved life and fought a good fight right up until l the end, despite some really tough setbacks. I've been working on a burial urn for him and it's been the hardest thing I've  ever had to do. Dave

Sorry to hear about Keith.  It sounds like you were both fortunate to have each other as friends.  That's a good life in my book.  Cool way to pay respects.  Kudos to you.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 06:34:25 AM »

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 06:42:05 AM »
Good to hear, Dave.  I figured you may be doing an urn or similar work for him.  It'll be great, because I'm sure he knew what you do and why you do it with no need to explain.  It's hard for me to be closer to anyone and the best use of what a person can do.  That's what it's all about as a craftsman or a friend.

I often get too self-critical on those personal projects.  Then others involved remind me to get over it and not confuse making it perfect with doing my best.   
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 08:11:48 AM »
I am truly sorry to hear of your friend. I have no doubt however that there are many here that have dealt with such a thing, so you're not alone. I have my own stories about this as well.

As for the salt, I guess that's your decision to make. I look for other ways to enjoy whatever time left on this earthly plane when the roads become coated with salt. Another consideration is that the white powder left over when the moisture evaporates can become very, very slippery.

Just don't go out there and endanger yourself, okay.

John Henry 

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 10:24:28 AM »
It's a shame about your Bud.  We've all been there.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 06:44:03 PM »
Well, it's back.  First snow and ice event here in the northeast. Salt trucks were out all day and put down some serious rock salt and sand. Bad part is it's supposed to warm up again and be decent late season riding.
I used to be pretty anal about not getting that stuff all over my bikes, but after loosing my best friend to cancer last week, I don't think i really give a crap about it this time around. Life can be too short to worry about a little corrosion  on a motorbike you enjoy being out on.

So Sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers to friends and family. It sounds as though you guys had an amazing 45 year run to be thankful for...and I'm sure he's smiling while watching you work on his urn

snow...ice uhg...Glen Arbor, MI...30 miles from me got 31 inches of snow in 36 hours...I'm afraid my local season is over.

cheers
2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 07:05:26 PM »
Thank you all for making feel not so alone ,  I have so few friends left among the living it's nice to know there's a place like WG to share ones life's experiences with.   :bow:

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 06:26:24 AM »
Sorry about your buddy..  Need to enjoy every day. We are not promised a tomorrow.

As for the salt...  ya, I hear ya. Im hoping for a warm up, and maybe a quick rain storm to wash the roads clean first... Im not done riding yet!!! 
Paul B

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 07:34:55 AM »
Sorry about your loss. You are correct there is to much uncertainty. My uncle saved all his life to have a retirement with my aunt. Never happened. Seize the day.

yeah salt sucks, probably accounts for the pitting on the cali wheels
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 07:40:13 AM »
Thank you all for making feel not so alone ,  I have so few friends left among the living it's nice to know there's a place like WG to share ones life's experiences with.   :bow:

Thanks for posting that news.  I know it is hard to do, but now a lot more people (WG frequenters) feel like they know a little about Kieth.  Another neat way of paying tribute to him.

As the old saying goes:  "Shared joy is double joy.  Shared sorrow is half sorrow!"

The thing I remember about the funerals of (or sharing memories of) the close male friends/relatives I've have lost is they always start out sad, but end up being sessions of shared laughter and story telling about all the misadventures (stupid sh*t and f**k ups) we endured together as part of life.

"You remember the time when that idiot did _______!!!!  Oh I could have killed him!  I was mad at him for so long!  The next time he did it......."

Sharing memories is a great tribute.  Common experience is a wonderful thing to look back on later in life.

Another saying "Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive!"
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 07:42:23 AM by SIR REAL ED »
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 08:48:16 AM »

that's nicely said and also very true. 

Mark

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here