Author Topic: For the devotees..  (Read 3992 times)

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
For the devotees..
« on: March 26, 2019, 08:25:22 PM »
Just a quiet one to the true believers of the benefits of on line shopping..
Would you buy a brand new V85 (or any other new Guzzi) on line, if it was $1000 cheaper and you could have it serviced by any licensed motorbike mechanic and still preserve your warranty ?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 04:52:42 AM by Huzo »

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
Re: For the devotees..
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 05:02:41 AM »
Yes! I've done it on a lot higher priced vehicles for a lot less than a $1,000.

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 05:32:39 AM »
Nope.
The folks I use are special.  I'm treated like I'm actually special.  Motorbike mechanics are different from car machinates.
Like the time I was one day removed from a 5 day getaway.  Fuel pump failure.  No worries-they took one off a brand new bike as there was not a item in stock.  And, for some reason, if there was further issues the owner said take my bike and have a good time.

I've said before I feel for those who have a poor dealer experience.  I'm fortunate enough not to have that.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 06:33:55 AM »
I do it all the time with cars, not only for the vehicle itself but for all of my parts and accessories. When it comes to motorcycles, and Moto Guzzi in specific, I wouldn't do this if I had a good dealer near me. When I was stationed at joint Base Lewis-McChord, I did all of my purchases for vehicles and parts through Moto International for the same reasons as king of fleece.

I do have a Moto Guzzi dealer right near me in Arlington Virginia, but they are just flat-out a terrible dealer. So much so that I have fantasies about purchasing it when I retire from the Army. If there are any other Guzzi owners in the northern Virginia southern Maryland area interested in forming a cooperative to do something like this, send me a private message.

An essential element in my opinion of motorcycling is the community of motorcyclists. A dealer, a good one at least can be a key component to not only furthering the brand but making it the kind of experience it's meant to be.
Too many dealers however are nothing but cutthroat profiteers. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 06:37:48 AM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 06:33:55 AM »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 06:50:33 AM »
I bought 3 motorcycles from my closest "Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki" dealer and he went out of business.

I bought a motorcycle from the next closest multi-brand dealer and he sold out.

I bought a Triumph from the corporation that bought the multi-brand dealership and they stopped carrying Triumph and wouldn't take care of warranty concerns. 

The Harley dealership is the only one that truly treats their customers well. 

I have done fly and rides and have bought used bikes from individuals. 

The dealer I bought the V7III carbon from (85 miles away) is always the highest price on the other brands so the Moto Guzzi is the only bike I have been able to buy from them. 

I did buy my FZ-07 from the dealer (60 miles away) that I just bought the Himalayan from. 

I do try and get closer dealers to match the pricing from other dealers, but if I really want the bike and price is great I will go to the other dealer.

Now, if I were the type to just keep a bike, maybe my perspective would be a little different.  If I get a bargain price that is less I lose when I part with the bike. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline DaddyRabbit

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 06:55:21 AM »
In the context of what i think you're asking, no i wouldn't.  However, circumstances present....

I bought my first Moto Guzzi, a coppertop California Special Sport, exactly like that.  I went to my local dealer, who was a great guy and stand up dealer who took care of his customers, but he didn't have one, or one similar.  He was unwilling to order one, and for good reason.  He was very unhappy with the way guzzi strongarmed dealers and was only selling what he had already ordered, which was more than he wanted to floorplan already.  He suggested i wait until a trade came in, but after a couple of months of waiting for one to be traded in, I found Moto International (RIP) on the opposite shore, and Dave did me right.  The guzzista here on the board sang his praises in unison so i took a very uncharacteristic step for me and ordered it.  During the shipping period (to NC), my dealer got a beautiful red/black Cali SS.  Too late, the deal was done, the bike had shipped, and that put me in the now uncomfortable position of taking my bike to my local dealer for any service, should the need arise.  As everyone knows, in that era of MG, the need would absolutely arise.   My dealer and his staff of one were noticeably disappointed, but they rallied over the years as i became a returning customer for service, and eventually bought a new black CalVin from him. 

Good gracious i miss that CalVin, one of Guzzi's best presentations.  Equally, i miss that dealer.  He hung on for several years, and then closed the shop and retired. 

Come to think of it, I've bought Moto Guzzi's from 3 different dealers and one private sale.  In my time as a guzzista there have been what i consider 3 local dealers (150 miles or so), plus MI that have taken great care of my illness.  All are gone, with no current factory authorized dealer in the area.  What is it about this marque that makes us buy, knowing the history (rhetorical question, not thread drift)?!?
Ride with your kids...its cheap therapy for both of you.

03 Cali SS - gone
07 Vintage - gone
09 Stelvio -gone
13 California 1400
18 KTM 1290 SAS

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 07:11:16 AM »
Nope. I've bought one new motorcycle in my life, an '83 SP. I picked it up in the crate, prepped it myself, and did all the maintenance that the warranty required, and had the dealer sign off on it. It was probably the only Guzzi that dealer sold that year. My Cal 1100 was an insurance total that I paid $1500 for in '01. I wrench my own stuff, so no paying a mechanic for anything. I would buy a another wreck, if it was the right deal.
Larry
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 07:14:52 AM by larrys »
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 07:32:06 AM »
Well.
Regardless of the response, I think we all know why the question was posed. If people buy new bikes on line then don’t complain about the lack of dealers then that is 100% fine..
But.
I’m suggesting that starving some poor bastard close to death, then beating the living tripe out of him by cutting his margin to the bone, before strolling in and stealing the eyes out of his dying corpse is a good way to ensure he goes under, and precious few will be brave enough to take his place.
Motorbike shops are magic places, like guitar shops.
My early memories of oil soaked floors and days spent hanging around our dealer’s store, are what spins the thread from which you will weave the tapestry that becomes your motorcycling life..
If bottom feeding opportunists manage to force bike shops under..
I’ll buy a boat.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 07:33:10 AM by Huzo »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 08:52:04 AM »
Well.
Regardless of the response, I think we all know why the question was posed. If people buy new bikes on line then don’t complain about the lack of dealers then that is 100% fine..
But.
I’m suggesting that starving some poor bastard close to death, then beating the living tripe out of him by cutting his margin to the bone, before strolling in and stealing the eyes out of his dying corpse is a good way to ensure he goes under, and precious few will be brave enough to take his place.
My early memories of oil soaked floors and days spent hanging around our dealer’s store, are what spins the thread from which you will weave the tapestry that becomes your motorcycling life..
I’ll buy a boat.

It is a changing world and retailers need to adapt to the changing times.  This is true for every business.  If they don't update their business model to stay competitive they fade away.  All businesses won't survive by doing the same old thing that got them by in the past. 

I live 12 miles from the nearest store where I can purchase anything.  But, I can order online and have items at my door within two days. 

I used to have to sell used items by putting ads in the paper or local shopping news.  Now I can use forums, craigslist, ebay and reach an audience as wide I am willing to deal with.  Some of my used parts have gone to Australia. 

2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 11:05:52 AM »
Well.
But.
I’ll buy a boat.

The question was if you found a bike for 1,000 less  online would you buy it over a local dealership. Well since we didn't set the price for either bike how are we beating anybody up on price or being a bottom feeding opportunist.

Dealerships aren't a magical place for me. They are simply a business that sell devaluing equity.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 11:33:00 AM by Perazzimx14 »
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 12:10:20 PM »
          Huzo,

Unfortunately this is not the case anymore. With the exception of a few, most dealers are run by buisnessmen tied to their banks and laywers, and are not enthusiasts.
    Most of the people in the shop in the back are enthusiasts, and getting to know those people is priceless.
    To answer the  question, I would buy the item on line and not be concerned about the local dealer as I am of the small group capable of doing my own work.

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 12:31:28 PM »
I try to support local businesses, but when those local businesses charge 20% or more over the bigger retailer only 20 miles away and don't even have online inventory, I'll drive the 20 miles. Case in point- Friendly local auto parts store 6 miles away- Prices always highest, no online inventory, and their major asset, a former Ford dealership parts guy, retired. So now I check NAPA and O'Reilly stores online for price and inventory status and drive the 20 miles.
Guzzi: Quota with Motorvation 'hack
BMWs: F800S, R100GS, R80ST with Motorvation Spyder 'hack, R65LS
Hacks: Motovation Spyder and Formula II
Buell: M2L, RIP Buell Motors Corporation
Yamaha: MX250 $25 auction find, "static display" for now, XS650 "on loan" from my brother, 'nother "static displa

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 01:57:13 PM »
I try to support local businesses, but when those local businesses charge 20% or more over the bigger retailer only 20 miles away and don't even have online inventory, I'll drive the 20 miles. Case in point- Friendly local auto parts store 6 miles away- Prices always highest, no online inventory, and their major asset, a former Ford dealership parts guy, retired. So now I check NAPA and O'Reilly stores online for price and inventory status and drive the 20 miles.

Or better yet, hop on the bike for an "errand".   :grin:
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 02:44:29 PM »
It is a changing world and retailers need to adapt to the changing times.  This is true for every business.  If they don't update their business model to stay competitive they fade away.  All businesses won't survive by doing the same old thing that got them by in the past. 

I live 12 miles from the nearest store where I can purchase anything.  But, I can order online and have items at my door within two days. 

I used to have to sell used items by putting ads in the paper or local shopping news.  Now I can use forums, craigslist, ebay and reach an audience as wide I am willing to deal with.  Some of my used parts have gone to Australia.
Dealers have to adapt to changing requirements, it’s true.
I’m lamenting that the requirements are changing.
And some of MY parts have gone to the ‘States..
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 02:45:29 PM by Huzo »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 02:48:10 PM »
The question was if you found a bike for 1,000 less  online would you buy it over a local dealership. Well since we didn't set the price for either bike how are we beating anybody up on price or being a bottom feeding opportunist.

Dealerships aren't a magical place for me. They are simply a business that sell devaluing equity.
On the first point I’m suggesting that we spend the extra bit at the dealer for him to make a quid and stay afloat .
On the second point about the magic...?
I’m sorry for you.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 04:19:28 PM »
On the first point I’m suggesting that we spend the extra bit at the dealer for him to make a quid and stay afloat .
I’m sorry for you.

:thumb:
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2019, 04:33:34 PM »
I’m sorry for you.

My local Honda/Suzuki dealer wanted $7 for a rim strip when I was in there a few years ago. I don’t care if they sink. Also you needn’t be sorry for me because I have no magical connection with the local dealerships. It doesn’t bother me it shouldn’t bother you. I don’t rely on dealerships and there’s magic in that.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 06:02:04 PM by Perazzimx14 »
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2019, 05:13:46 PM »
It doesn’t bother me it shouldn’t other you. I don’t rely on dealerships and there’s magic in that.
Yeah, I get that bit.

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2019, 08:28:06 AM »
I have a good dealer less than 10 miles from my home. Sadly, he sells Yamahas.

If the piano company built a bike I was interested in, I'd go buy it from Keith, even if I had to pay an EXTRA $1000. Why? Because he treats his customers well. So, even though I've never purchased a bike from him, I have bought numerous filters/fluids/tires in his shop and most of the riding gear my entire family (me, wife and three kids) own was rung up at his counter. So, haven't bought a bike there, but have spent enough to buy a bike there over the past couple years. And you know what? He treats me like I am the single most important customer he's ever had. He, the owner, spent 45 minutes making sure my daughter had a helmet that fit right.

If only he sold Guzzis....
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2019, 08:58:35 AM »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2019, 01:57:09 PM »
Can’t feel too sorry for Freddy...

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2019, 04:00:34 PM »
A Kind Of Magic https://g.co/kgs/vDx4RC

Didn't know Queen did disco music.   :shocked:

I'll go for this magic. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEh3RJ5apIo
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2019, 07:47:42 PM »
I suppose the difference in approach is like.
“When my Guzzi dealer is doing well enough to bend over and smile while I have my way, I’ll take my business there, but until then...”
Or.
“I’m going to take a hit price wise because his volumes are relatively low and to keep his doors open he has to have a bit more of a margin, but he is not out to cheat me and treats me with due respect...”

I did make mention of the problem as I see it of the approach that I read  here a while back regarding the V85.
One bloke said he’d be interested to take a look at the V85 when he has seen how well they do in reality and will probably snap up a good used one..
How will there be good used ones, if everybody followed that course and didn’t buy a new one..?
Guzzi will sell 35 of them worldwide and discontinue the model..
Can you imagine the hand wringing and ruefull back of the neck rubbing, when the wise old heads stand around and offer theories as to why Guzzi can’t grab a good market share..?
All the “told you so’s” will come out and smirk knowingly.
They’ll be the same ones who said ..
“I’ll believe it when I see it..”
Well guys, you’ve seen it.
Are they crickets I hear..?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 07:49:09 PM by Huzo »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2019, 08:01:54 PM »
My guess, if you want a new bike $1000 ain't gonna matter.

If you're ridin' 20 year Guzzi and love that ride, you'll work on that sucker and keep it going even in you have to spend the night on the ground in Bristow Okla trying to find the electrical fault in the ignition switch. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2019, 08:10:44 PM »

If you're ridin' 20 year Guzzi and love that ride, you'll work on that sucker and keep it going even in you have to spend the night on the ground in Bristow Okla trying to find the electrical fault in the ignition switch.
My Man... :bow: :thumb:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2019, 08:14:34 PM »
My Man... :bow: :thumb:

Not me,  Dusty.   I'd shoot that sucker with my 357    :evil:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2019, 08:18:44 PM »
Not me,  Dusty.   I'd shoot that sucker with my 357    :evil:
”Well..?” (through gritted teeth)
“You gotta’ ask y’self... do I feel lucky..?
Well....
Do ya’ punk...?”
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 08:20:23 PM by Huzo »

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2019, 08:45:43 PM »
Had this happen to me back in the 90's on my xs11 up in Canada.... Bike wouldnt shut off, heat at the switch melted the wires/connectors and left in always on mode had to stall it and disconnect battery.

One of the reasons i retired it from daily and LD rides.... Still have it and still love the beast

MGNOC#23231

Offline Smithy

• New Egg
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2019, 03:40:41 AM »
If I find a good shop I will support them and usually dont shop for the lowest prices. If I get looked after and I like what I see I buy it..I am very much not happy with the big player in Victoria gobbling up everything. Both the Melbourne and Geelong motorcycle shopping strips are rooted. They used to be so good.
2021 BMW GS 1250
2015 California Custom - Sold
1976 KTM Jackpiner
1929 Rudge 500

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2019, 05:31:21 AM »
I always start with a bias toward buying local, whatever it is. if we don't support whatever retailer it is, they won't be there in the future and when it is a product as boutique as MG, even moreso.   an establishment has to have a few things going for it to get my loyalty. probably most important is that they must know their stuff. being an older rider, i have heard all the guzzi horror tales and seen a friend have his heart broken by the brand he so wants to love. our dealer started out as an independent shop, so i had a good chance to see if they knew their stuff and treat people before they got MG.  since it seemed that they did know their stuff and treated people well, i then started considering getting an MG.  another important element is that they are reasonable with their pricing.  for me, reasonable does not mean the absolute cheapest, but fair in relation to the market.  they have always been very transparent with their pricing and i believe fair. this was enough for me to take the leap of faith to MG.  i had 3 small warranty complaints and each was resolved to my satisfaction.  so, my verdict is "so far, so good", glad i joined the family.  they are unique products in the cycling world when everyone else has moved to a homogeneous blend of bland.
Blue Guzz

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here