Author Topic: Cold weekend  (Read 565 times)

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
Cold weekend
« on: February 05, 2023, 10:09:11 PM »
 I drove up to Middlebury VT Friday to watch one of the kids graduate. It was -19F (-28C) over the Bethel gap. Saturday morning about -16 in Vergennes.  I wonder about all of you that live this every winter.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Cold weekend
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 04:43:07 AM »
Ya was not a good day for motorcycling!  It was -13 at my place near the Mass/NY boarder. We are used to cold in the northeast.. and sub zero is not unheard of, but when you get to the neg teens... thats cold!!  Cold also popped a oil cooler seal on my Minivan, so I have a new project to do..
Paul B

Offline geoff in almonte

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 06:33:31 AM »
It was -31C here in the Ottawa Valley friday AM.  -43c with the wind chill.

Friking cold.

Brrrrrrr

G
Midnight bugs taste best

Offline ital4me

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 07:22:06 AM »
Central VT area here. We are used to cold albeit less than this weekend. We never left the house Friday and Saturday, -18 here. The main factor was the high wind. It made it brutal cold. I served in the army and was stationed at Ft. Wainwright Fairbanks Alaska. I was having flashbacks. We arrived there on Thanksgiving day, 1977 I believe. It was -28.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 07:22:06 AM »

Online frozengoose

• To eaches his onus...
  • Gosling
    • smiles from nowhere
  • Location: Just a little ways past Fairbanks, Alaska on the locally world famous Chena Hot Springs Road
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 03:47:42 PM »
Central VT area here. We are used to cold albeit less than this weekend. We never left the house Friday and Saturday, -18 here. The main factor was the high wind. It made it brutal cold. I served in the army and was stationed at Ft. Wainwright Fairbanks Alaska. I was having flashbacks. We arrived there on Thanksgiving day, 1977 I believe. It was -28.

We'd call 28 below a good holiday! Seriously, we've had a mild winter (so far) and only one cold spell to complain about. Was reading a weather blog today, talking about the cold spells in the early twentieth century, and it said that the extended deep cold, fifty below and colder, is likely a thing of the past. Read about it here:

http://ak-wx.blogspot.com/2023/02/winter-of-1905-06.html

Here's our winter so far...

Big Jon

Two old Guzzi's (V65 & T), 250E CZ, and 6 happy huskies.

Well, I've got a baby, she's a bad motorcycle
Brrooom-pa-pa-pa, pa-pa-pa-pa-paw
When we ride together, all through the night
She's got a real wild machine and it's out of sight
She goes brrooom-pa-pa-pa, paw-paw, motorcycle
Jerry Zee

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023, 04:29:27 PM »
We love winter here even if it’s cold.

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2023, 04:45:42 PM »

Mid 60's in the Ozarks yesterday (Sunday) got in about 160 miles AND a boat ride  :thumb:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 04:46:31 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2023, 04:43:27 AM »
It was -31C here in the Ottawa Valley friday AM.  -43c with the wind chill.

Friking cold.

Brrrrrrr

G

We lucked out at my place. When the cold started coming in it was REAL windy!!  By the time it sunk to the neg teens the next morning the wind calmed a bit. Yesterday was 44 though, so thats good. I was hoping to get some work done on my car but the garage was still real cold from the other day. No heat, and it takes a while for that slab to recover from those low temps
Paul B

Offline ital4me

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2023, 07:09:13 AM »
We'd call 28 below a good holiday! Seriously, we've had a mild winter (so far) and only one cold spell to complain about. Was reading a weather blog today, talking about the cold spells in the early twentieth century, and it said that the extended deep cold, fifty below and colder, is likely a thing of the past. Read about it here:

LOL, yeah but on Thanksgiving! We lived three winters in Fairbanks. First winter all we did was watch tv and ate too much. You can guess the consequences. The next couple we discovered the outdoors up there. Lots of fun memories. The last winter I served as ski patrol at Birch Hill. Wear civvies and ski all day. Nice way to finish my tour. Two seasons there, winter followed by mosquitos.

Online frozengoose

• To eaches his onus...
  • Gosling
    • smiles from nowhere
  • Location: Just a little ways past Fairbanks, Alaska on the locally world famous Chena Hot Springs Road
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2023, 01:27:29 PM »

LOL, yeah but on Thanksgiving! We lived three winters in Fairbanks. First winter all we did was watch tv and ate too much. You can guess the consequences. The next couple we discovered the outdoors up there. Lots of fun memories. The last winter I served as ski patrol at Birch Hill. Wear civvies and ski all day. Nice way to finish my tour. Two seasons there, winter followed by mosquitos.

Yeah, it's too cold in winter and buggy in the summer, keeps the tourists away! But then there's spring, March and early April when there's still enough snow to get out to recreate and warm enough to enjoy it. Fall, when the bugs are (mostly) gone, the leaves are turning brilliant yellow, and it's time for late bike rides, hikes in the woods, or finishing the summer projects that always get put off. So there's that and just living up here, that's something too.
Big Jon

Two old Guzzi's (V65 & T), 250E CZ, and 6 happy huskies.

Well, I've got a baby, she's a bad motorcycle
Brrooom-pa-pa-pa, pa-pa-pa-pa-paw
When we ride together, all through the night
She's got a real wild machine and it's out of sight
She goes brrooom-pa-pa-pa, paw-paw, motorcycle
Jerry Zee

Offline Deep sea

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2023, 05:49:17 PM »
Saturday I waited until it warmed up to a balmy 5F before I went out for a 40 minute jaunt on the dual sport. 

2017 V7III Special (black)
2017 Honda CRF250L Rally
2016 Kawasaki Versys 1000

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here