Author Topic: How to swich Miles to Kilometers on odometer and vice versa  (Read 3467 times)

Offline gmic

• New Egg
How to swich Miles to Kilometers on odometer and vice versa
« on: February 16, 2017, 08:31:58 AM »
Hello,
I have one question and I hope somebody has the answer:)

I have V7 Stone (2014) but odometer shows in miles.
Are any ways to switch to kilometers?

Thank you for answers in advance.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: How to swich Miles to Kilometers on odometer and vice versa
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 09:35:38 AM »
As far as I know, not by the end user.

Maybe the factory scan tool and/or Guzzidiag might be able to change that for you?

Page 38 of the V7 Owner's manual shows how to switch temperature display from C to F or vice versa, but specifically says that doesn't effect kilometers or miles.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 12:30:55 PM »
This trend started with the Cali 1400, and also included the inability of the user to reset the service spanner icon (now fixed).

Why is the factory doing this?  Are they trying to drive the owners to the dealers?  My experience make me believe most owners are more competent than most of the dealers (with a few exceptions).

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 12:48:23 PM »
This trend started with the Cali 1400, and also included the inability of the user to reset the service spanner icon (now fixed).

Why is the factory doing this?  Are they trying to drive the owners to the dealers?  My experience make me believe most owners are more competent than most of the dealers (with a few exceptions).
I have a feeling that US law requires the odometer to be in miles and be non-resettable.  It might also be the law that the speedometer has to show mph more prominently than kph.  If so, that could explain the reluctance of the manufacturer to allow switching between the systems.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 12:48:23 PM »

Offline JACoH

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 01:46:25 PM »
I don't think it is a law, as both my 2010 Honda CRV and 2016 Toyota RAV4 can be switched back and forth from MPH to KPH, handy for those trips across the border. My 2016 Indian Scout also has the capability with just a mode selection. It is just what the manufacturer thinks is needed from year to year.

Offline cookiemech

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 02:28:47 PM »

I'm glad that the inability to reset the service icon on the 1400 was fixed; I have a 2014 Ducati Monster 1200 and there appears to be no way for an owner to reset its service icon. Idiotic. Damned if I pay a dealer one nickel to reset it when I change oil. It will stay illuminated as long as I own the bike.

And yes, I'm convinced that ALL car and motorcycle factories are doing their best to force owners to go to them for everything service-related. My Monster's owner's manual tells me to go to the dealer for a chain adjustment (and I had to buy a special tool to be able to do that). There are no longer hardcopy FSMs available for cars (not that I need a hardcopy; a CD-ROM would be fine) and the only ones I know about for bikes are the excellent ones available for Harley-Davidsons (at a reasonable cost, I might add).

Guess it's because most people are clueless regarding maintenance and repairs, and most people are willing to pay someone else to do it.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 04:52:01 PM »

I don't think it is a law, as both my 2010 Honda CRV and 2016 Toyota RAV4 can be switched back and forth from MPH to KPH, handy for those trips across the border. My 2016 Indian Scout also has the capability with just a mode selection. It is just what the manufacturer thinks is needed from year to year.

Well the CR-V and Rav might display kph but I bet the odometer doesn't change to kilometers yes?

Is the Scout the same?

If so, it could be law.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 08:15:19 PM »

Well the CR-V and Rav might display kph but I bet the odometer doesn't change to kilometers yes?

Is the Scout the same?

If so, it could be law.

My 2004 Pontiac GTO, obtained in Minneapolis new, had a switchable display. When you set it to metric it displayed the odometer that way too, and returned to Amurrican (i.e., horse-and-buggy measures) miles readout when you set it for that. I always wanted to see if I could find an English setting that would display the odo in leagues...
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 05:18:24 AM »
Well, so much for that theory.

Thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 05:19:02 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 05:44:40 AM »
...I always wanted to see if I could find an English setting that would display the odo in leagues...
And speed as furlongs per fortnight.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 02:26:22 PM »
Hello,
I have one question and I hope somebody has the answer:)

I have V7 Stone (2014) but odometer shows in miles.
Are any ways to switch to kilometers?

Thank you for answers in advance.
Jeez mate I wish I knew. It's easy on the Norge etc... Doesn't the V7 have a "mode" switch ?

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 03:05:55 PM »
Jeez mate I wish I knew. It's easy on the Norge etc... Doesn't the V7 have a "mode" switch ?

Not in the sense that the big bikes do. There are typically two buttons and no switch on the small blocks. The buttons act as a combination of step switches and reset buttons, depending on the function, and the programming behind them is a lot more simplistic than that on the CARCs or the Cali14 series.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 09:37:16 PM »
I have a feeling that my owners manuals specify the procedure to change the odometer between miles & kilometers - I'll check it out & get back to you.
Mal
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline sturgeon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 10:23:10 AM »
I'm reasonably sure that you have to physically replace the dashboard; there are two different part numbers depending on your locale.
Dyslexics Untie!

11 Yamaha WR250R
14 Moto Guzzi V7S
16 BMW R1200R

Harper's Moto Guzzi : Go Ride, Break Parts, Call me!
Harper's Moto Guzzi. Where we still answer the phone, use the highest quality parts, and also do Transmission, rear drive, and carb rebuilds fast. Call us at 816.697.3411 and get your problems resolved.
http://www.harpermoto.com
Advertise Here