Author Topic: Heated grips and gps on V7 Stone  (Read 3943 times)

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
Heated grips and gps on V7 Stone
« on: April 22, 2015, 07:29:23 AM »
Hey everyone, I am getting ready to put some heated grips and gps on my 2014 V7, and wondered if anyone has done this, and where you tapped into the wiring. I found a schematic, and found the gps plug, so i think I am good there.
I was wondering where folks are tapping in for heated grips. I really don't want to tap in anywhere that will affect lights or the control unit. There doe not appear to be a spare switched power outlet from the fuse panel. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Online fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Heated grips and gps on V7 Stone
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 07:45:07 AM »
why not use the GPS tap for both?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 07:55:22 AM »
that tap also runs the headlights. I am worried that it will reduce the brightness of the headlight when the grips are in use. I suppose I could just do the eastern beaver setup and not worry about it.

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 08:00:07 AM »
The switched GPS plug is fused at 15A, easily enough for a GPS unit but maybe not for heated grips, you'll have to check.  The plug on the end is a strange one.  It's supposed to connect to the mating socket molded into the dock for the TomTom Rider.  Because it's nearly impossible to find a mating socket, most folks cut off the plug and wire up something more universal, like an SAE connector.  However, for purists, it is possible to obtain a matching socket so you don't have to alter your bike's wiring (thanks to "pauldaytona" at Guzzidiag for the info).  It is part of a Mercedes Benz short (5") extension cable that connects the outside temperature sensor to the car's electrical system on some models.  There's a socket on one end that mates with the MG GPS plug, and a matching plug, identical to the MG plug, on the other end.  It's Mercedes part number 230-540-01-66.  I got mine from Autonation http://www.autonationpartsdirect.com for about $22 including shipping.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 08:00:07 AM »

Offline sturgeon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 08:56:12 AM »
GPS connected to stock GPS wiring; I just replaced the connector with one for which I could find a mate.

Heated grips connected directly to battery through a small fuse box (Eastern Beaver 3CS). It's a hell of a lot easier than trying to find some existing circuit to share. I use the fuse box only because I have a couple of other things also connected directly to the battery.
Dyslexics Untie!

11 Yamaha WR250R
14 Moto Guzzi V7S
16 BMW R1200R

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 12:02:40 PM »
I don't want to bugger up the wiring, so I am just going to wire in a 4 place fuse holder, and ground block. For now it will be direct to the battery, but I will connect a relay that will disable the circuits with the key off. Being a genuine village idiot, I am sure to leave something on that will drain the battery.

Offline rss29

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 12:46:29 PM »
If you're adding Oxford Heated Grips there's no need for a relay. They have some circuitry in the controller that will shut the grips off after about 2 minutes if the bike isn't running. I was skeptical about that claim but have tested many times on my V7 and it works as advertised. I don't know about other brands, but the Oxfords work really well and come with everything needed to wire directly to the battery. I think that shutoff feature might only be on their premium grips, but they're less than $100.

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 01:26:43 PM »
The switched GPS plug is fused at 15A, easily enough for a GPS unit but maybe not for heated grips, you'll have to check.  The plug on the end is a strange one.  It's supposed to connect to the mating socket molded into the dock for the TomTom Rider.  Because it's nearly impossible to find a mating socket, most folks cut off the plug and wire up something more universal, like an SAE connector.  However, for purists, it is possible to obtain a matching socket so you don't have to alter your bike's wiring (thanks to "pauldaytona" at Guzzidiag for the info).  It is part of a Mercedes Benz short (5") extension cable that connects the outside temperature sensor to the car's electrical system on some models.  There's a socket on one end that mates with the MG GPS plug, and a matching plug, identical to the MG plug, on the other end.  It's Mercedes part number 230-540-01-66.  I got mine from Autonation http://www.autonationpartsdirect.com for about $22 including shipping.

Update:  I just noticed that Moto Guzzi now offers, as an accessory for the V7II bikes, a USB adapter that plugs into the pre-wired GPS plug.  The MG part number is 2S000166.  It's hard to tell from the pic, but it is possible that the socket on the USB adapter is for a different plug than the one on the pre-V7II models, which would imply that the pre-wired plug is different on the newer models.  Perhaps one of you Australian early possessors of a V7II will post a pic of the GPS plug here.  Here's a link to a site that pictures the adapter:

http://www.motoguzzi.it/motoguzzi/IT/it/accessori/NAKED/2S000166.html
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 01:28:37 PM by sib »
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here