Author Topic: New Brakes Seem Soft  (Read 830 times)

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
New Brakes Seem Soft
« on: March 17, 2019, 01:51:10 PM »
I just replaced the front brake caliper on my 74 Eldorado and took it out for a short test drive. It's the black Brembo F08 right side calliper. After installing it, bled it through two fills of brake fluid until I no longer saw any air bubbles for the last 5 or 6 times that I cracked the bleeder, but the front brake still seems awfully soft. At least half as sensitive as I am used to it being with the old one. Is this normal? I have trouble imagining that it needs bled any more, but maybe? Any tips would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 01:53:51 PM by JC85 »
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Offline pmillar

• Gosling
Re: New Brakes Seem Soft
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 03:35:33 PM »
Try a zip tie or strong rubber band on your brake lever over night. Next morning, tap on the connections at the MC then loosen the connection at the MC while compressing the lever until you retighten it to avoid letting air in.  Be sure to wrap with a rag to keep brake fluid from dripping where you don’t want it.  :boozing:

This sounds odd, but it worked for me many years ago after a bubble got trapped at the connection following a brake line replacement.

Or you admit your brakes will never work well and trade front ends with my ‘73 Eldo. No need to bleed drum brakes. Ever.  :grin:
Ann Arbor, MI
'73 Eldorado
'97 TL1000S
'00 TTR250

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 04:09:59 PM »
Is the new caliper compressing the pads exactly parallel to the disk or is the assembly out of true to the disk and flexing a bit as the hydraulic pressure increases? I know the calipers on my T3 are shimmed to get the pucks parallel to the disk.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 04:17:14 PM »
Haha, I think I'll keep my front disc, thanks.  :wink: I will try that top, tonight, as well as check to see if the pads are true to the disk. Thanks for the tips, guys.
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 04:17:14 PM »

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 06:44:11 PM »
Which pad compound are you using?  Sintered, semi-metallic, and organic pads will all yield different feel.  The disk will also have different surfaces from your pads, and it will take some time for them to seat properly.
Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 07:45:37 PM »
Unbolt caliper and elevate it as high as it will go overnight then bleed it while elevated. ?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here