Author Topic: Used bike purchase - Poll  (Read 3056 times)

canuguzzi

Used bike purchase - Poll
« on: May 25, 2016, 10:43:17 AM »
Seemed like an interesting topic since it comes up often in ads as well.

Note, this is about what you did, not what you might do, trying to see real experiences for the result.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 11:12:31 AM by Norge Pilot »

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Used bike purchase
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 10:55:31 AM »
Mine is not one of those choices.  I bought mine sight unseen from a guy across the country.  Paid up front.  First time I saw it was when it was unloaded off the truck in my driveway.  Found ad on MGNOC classifieds.  Talked to guy on phone.

When I sold my Honda it was the same thing.  I put ad up on Honda forum.  Guy called and wanted bike.  He paid for it.  I sent him title.  He flew out and rode it home.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

canuguzzi

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 11:01:53 AM »
Mine is not one of those choices.  I bought mine sight unseen from a guy across the country.  Paid up front.  First time I saw it was when it was unloaded off the truck in my driveway.  Found ad on MGNOC classifieds.  Talked to guy on phone.

When I sold my Honda it was the same thing.  I put ad up on Honda forum.  Guy called and wanted bike.  He paid for it.  I sent him title.  He flew out and rode it home.

The last choice, bought it anyway. :thumb:

Changed it to / bought sight unseen etc. 

Thanks.

Offline unclepete

• Hatchling
Re: Used bike purchase - Poll
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 12:31:46 PM »
Several bikes bought lately have been rescues , not running , test ride not possible .
The runners , the seller has offered for me to test ride every time ; have never been asked to sign anything or leave a deposit beforehand .
When I sell I play it by ear . By the time we talk about a test ride enough conversation has taken place to know how to proceed .
The bike is licensed and insured , and only twice have I been uncertain enough to offer a ride as passenger rather than letting them go off by themselves .
I see a lot of this paranoia in CL ads , same as " scammers need not apply " ; just afraid I guess . Maybe got lawyered ?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 12:31:46 PM »

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 12:33:17 PM »
Many dealers here have no test bike to ride, zero.....

Offline toma nova

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 12:38:12 PM »

Bought the 1200 Sport this way (Detroit to Houston) and sold it this way (Houston to NC).  Full asking price (it was fair both times), personal check, mail the title after it clears, couple of phone calls to iron out the details.  Honest, mature sellers and buyers all around, never an issue.  Couple of other experiences like this also (NGC) but in person - personal check, test rides by swapping bikes, etc.

Tom
2014 Stelvio NTX
2008 1200 Sport - sold

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 12:58:02 PM »
The Triumph dealer I bought my Tiger from would let you ride ANY bike in the shop for as long as you wanted to. That was a HUGE selling point for Eldorado Cycle and Triumph motorcycles. Too bad the owner is no longer with us :sad: Harper's let me ride BOTH of the Guzzi's I bought form them, no questions asked. Thanks again Mike!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 01:32:54 PM »
 Did my research, due diligence, found one on ebay, struck a deal over the phone with massive amount of detailed pictures, PayPal'd it. 12 days later truck showed up with it to my front door and there were no surprises. Pleasant transaction all around, as was said, adult honest individual seller. Both parties happy.

Paul B. :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 01:56:28 PM »
WAIT A MINute . . .  bikes RUN when you buy them?  When did THAT happen?   :shocked:

I suppose you buy them all in one piece, too.

Offline RayB

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 02:19:16 PM »
Yeah they sometimes do run. I bought one that did-my EV
01 EV
82 BMW R100

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 02:44:58 PM »
WAIT A MINute . . .  bikes RUN when you buy them?  When did THAT happen?   :shocked:

I suppose you buy them all in one piece, too.

ROFLMAO

Good one RK.

FWIW, dealers out here almost beg you to take test rides, on any bike they have to sell.  I was wandering around a showroom waiting on the service manager and a salesman tried to get me to test ride the bike I was standing next to (happened to be a VFR1200).  When I said no, he suggest 2 or 3 others that were similar (new and used ST1300's).
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 02:50:51 PM »
My $450 EV looked like this when I bought it:

It ran.     :cool:

Here's what it looked like in its final evolution:

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 03:05:04 PM »
I bought mine without riding it because I didn't have a valid motorcycle license at the time. However it was def not sight unseen.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 09:37:56 PM »
My $450 EV looked like this when I bought it:

It ran.     :cool:

Here's what it looked like in its final evolution:

Did you buy it from a salvage yard or divorcee?

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 09:57:26 PM »
Salvage yard, obviously.  If it was a from divorcee the tires would have been flat and it wouldn't have run.   :evil: :boozing:

The story was that a guy in the outside lane made a left as this guzzi was coming along in the inside lane.  He hooked the bike with his bumper and dragged it and the rider a block or so claiming he didn't know he'd hit anything.  You can see how folded up and ground down the crash bar and head pipe are in the first pic.  The screw heads were ground off of everything along that side.  All I know about the rider is that he survived.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here