General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

NGC - Gilera 106 SS Project

<< < (2/7) > >>

Dave Swanson:
Wow!  That engine (and everything else) looks GREAT!

Canuck750:
Thanks Dave,

This is a bike I would not have looked at had it not been cheap and that it was sold in a local Sears store close to where I grew up.

I got my engine bearing order today from 'Quality Bearings on Line' in the UK, from date of order to being delivered on my door step just six days!!!!

https://www.qualitybearingsonline.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw0On8BRAgEiwAincsHHtaX_a1WZ782SuligQAStyuiMinWtzfV4M6FgRom1KJ43jkXffgoRoCKWAQAvD_BwE

This is the third time I have used this online service and every time they have been great. In the summer they helped me find all the bearings I needed for a Guzzi 500 GTV (1948), they even called me a couple times to confirm the special crank shaft bearing I needed and sent pictures to be sure it was what I needed, amazing service. :thumb:
For this project I was able to read the stampings on the bearings that came out of the engine, most are just common bearings but the two
crank shaft bearings were a little bit special and by searching for SKF using the original numbers my choices came up immediately.

If you can't find what you need just email them and they will help you out.

I forgot to order a common little bearing for the cam shaft and went to the local bearing supplier, what a joke, the counter man couldn't find it ( a common 6000) then said he had to order one in and would have to have the seals pooped out, then said it would take a couple days, no wonder the On-Line shops are thriving. :thewife: :thewife:

I did a little bit of chrome like powder today on the kick starter and the clutch actuation lever, not very chrome like but looks good enough

I have a budget of $1500 all-in for this bike and am getting close but still need to chrome the header pipe and handlebars.

Canuck750:
My home made engine case suport stand

A piece of 5/8" plywod, four lengths of 6mm threaded rod, four lengths of thick wall small tube to slide over the threaded rod (stiffens the threaded rod), some nuts and washers

Its real simple to make and reuse for different case patterns

The threded rod is fastened to the plywood with a 6mm nut on each side of the plywood, then the hollow tube slides over the rod, a shorter section of hollow tube with about 3/4" sticking out and secured with one more nut, the engine case just sits loose on the vertical posts

An interesting design anomoly with the Gileras is the tranmission input and output shafts / gears can be installed either way around, they share the same bearing sized but of course only one orientation is correct, I got it right the second time when I checked my dissasembly pictures :thewife:

I have a Sears owners manual which includes parts diagrams but no real description of engine tear down or reassembly, I took lots of pictures but when the two cases are split inevitably parts fly apart and it takes some trial end error to get it properly back together, after several fiddles the gear selector / shift drum works smoothly, a unique shift mechamism that I have not seen before.

Dave Swanson:

--- Quote from: Canuck750 on October 31, 2020, 08:01:23 PM ---I have a Sears owners manual which includes parts diagrams but no real description of engine tear down or reassembly, I took lots of pictures but when the two cases are split inevitably parts fly apart and it takes some trial end error to get it properly back together, after several fiddles the gear selector / shift drum works smoothly, a unique shift mechamism that I have not seen before.

--- End quote ---

The selector ratchet is quite similar to the Guzzi V700  4 speed!.

Canuck750:
Good picture Dave. Goes to show there are few original ideas, only evolved concepts. I think the Gilera motor design dates from the late 1950’s.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version