Author Topic: CATALYTIC CONVERTER STOLEN LAST NIGHT  (Read 7331 times)

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
CATALYTIC CONVERTER STOLEN LAST NIGHT
« on: April 12, 2019, 04:15:32 PM »
hey, does anyone have any tips that will help prevent these S#i+bags from stealing my new one after i get the car back from the shop?

my neighbor saw them (he's up late - this happened at 2:30 am) and when he realized something fishy was going on he hollered at them. they were done with the entire process in a couple of minutes!!!  the tow truck driver who towed my car to the shop told me that he gets a lot of calls for stolen cat's. and that as far as he knows the remedy fixes (commercially available strap, cable systems) don't slow these A$$holes down very much. it is going to cost me $500 out of pocket for the insurance deductible and it will again if they decide they want to go for my shiny, newly installed unit.

What to do?
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

"You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter."
--- Anonymous

Offline StuCorpe

• Gaggle Hero
Re: CATALYTIC CONVERTER STOLEN LAST NIGHT
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 04:18:28 PM »
Sad, no idea why people do such things.

Offline Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 04:23:19 PM »
The world is full of people with a $300 a day habit that they cant afford to lose! Is that cat connected up with flanges? If so have your local muffler shop weld a flat bar across both flanges so they cant be separated, easy enough for the next R&R all you have to do is cut the welds or flat bar.  DonG

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 04:24:11 PM »
That stinks. I think I might be looking to install a motion activated camera(s) that take decent pics at night. Although it won't solve the cost of replacement, you might manage to catch them for law enforcement! I'm thinking the ones hunters use out in the woods might do the trick.

I too would be concerned about them returning for the new cat.  :violent1:

John Henry

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 04:24:11 PM »

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 05:15:03 PM »
These dirtbags use a battery powered sawzall with a fast cutting metal blade and just hack off the exhaust pipe on both sides of the catalytic converter. They (or whever they fence to) evidently break them open to get the precious metals from the inside to sell.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 05:27:57 PM »
These dirtbags use a battery powered sawzall with a fast cutting metal blade and just hack off the exhaust pipe on both sides of the catalytic converter. They (or whever they fence to) evidently break them open to get the precious metals from the inside to sell.

yeah, i went onto the interwebz to look for some answers and i discovered that they do not care how old your car is or how old your converter because they bust them open for the metals inside.  what they do look for are vehicles that are higher up off the ground. my car is a honda element and they had plenty of room to get under it and saw and yank. it was made clear to me that these strapping systems do not work because they will just cut fore and aft of the security system and take the whole thing.

aaaarrrggghhh.
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

"You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter."
--- Anonymous

Offline rschrum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 06:25:03 PM »
Booby trap.
15 GRISO
00 ZX12r
07 Tuono Factory
01 ZRX 1200R
19 Monster 1200R
2012 MV Agusta Brutale 1090R
08 Ducati s4rs Tricolore
22 Indian FTR Championship
Central Iowa

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 08:21:20 PM »
Motion Alarm?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 08:29:14 PM »
Now if you were prepared ahead of time and could catch them in the act I have an electronic game caller with a remote that works from 75+ yards. It is loud at full volume. Now hide that under the car frame and wait. Once the guy has just crawled under the car hit the button for "mountain lion in heat scream". I assure you he will not hesitate to figure out what is there, he will just set a record for the 440 yd run. :evil:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 11:07:28 PM »

Have your muffler shop weld in flanges for a "test" piece of pipe, have them weld flanges on your new cat and when it comes time for inspection install the cat.

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline Knuckle Dragger

• Gosling
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 12:37:45 AM by Knuckle Dragger »
Severus bastardis

Offline Bobic69

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2019, 01:31:47 AM »
Here in New South Wales scrap yards are obliged to get your i.d. and they don't pay for scrap in cash. Stops a lot of this silliness.
Bellagio

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2019, 03:20:27 AM »
Don't know whether it still is but the metal used originally in them was platinum.  Very very expensive.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2019, 03:43:10 PM »
     Have your muffler shop weld in flanges for a "test" piece of pipe, have them weld flanges on your new cat and when it comes time for inspection install the cat.

That's what I would do.

No cat, no theft.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

oldbike54

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2019, 04:17:04 PM »
 What a Cat tas trophie .

Dusty

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2019, 06:41:21 PM »
they do look for are vehicles that are higher up off the ground

Simple solution, slam it!  They won't be getting under my driveway dinosaur. 

« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 06:43:48 PM by Yeahoo Whoyah »
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Offline zebraranger

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2019, 07:58:57 PM »
Even a cordless sawzall or cordless grinder with a cut off wheel makes some serious noise when cutting, I'd find a better parking place maybe closer to the house if possible. A couple of years ago they hit the local mall in broad daylight and managed to steel over 25 of them in one pop. Some shoppers heard and saw them, they just figured that they had broken down and was making repairs....

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2019, 06:57:31 AM »
This happens everyday in Mexico. Take your car in to a shop for any type of repair (even a tire change) and the cat will be removed. They are nice enough to weld on a peice of exhuast pipe in it's place.  This is all met with a shrug. No one seems to care.

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2019, 07:30:54 AM »
I like those cat converters. Sorry they are getting stolen.  That's really a bad thing.
Signed,
Your atmosphere
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2019, 08:01:32 AM »

Yes, being drunk helps.. :grin:....Federal law prohibits repair shops from modifying any part of the emissions system.It might even be a criminal penalty. Not worth the risk to any reputable shop,but a back alley shop might do it..Actually I believe the test pipes are a thing of the past .....
 As an electrical contractor I did work for one of the larger dismantle yards in New York state. They had constant loos of cats on late model wrecks...The thieves bought or stole jacks and cordless saws from Harbor Freight and left the tools behind after taking their fill of parts..The police were not able to catch them...The owner stationed men on the roofs of the storage buildings with cameras..Got photos of the thieves entering after using a culvert under the highway to get up close and get past the chain link fencing..The police acted on it and caught the thieves in the act...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 08:02:28 AM by Rough Edge racing »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2019, 08:26:04 AM »
I have a garage for my vehicles, an electric fence around the property, (to keep the animals in), and a power gate at the road. 

Would be thieves know all of us in the country are armed and willing to defend our property.   :cool:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2019, 09:03:50 AM »
Engrave "Stolen from (enter Name), address, phone number" on the part.  Then when the perp tries to sell it, the buyer will know it it stolen.  In indiana and Kentucky you have to provide I.D. to scrap or pawn. 

I have an unattended coil laundry.  Everything has "Stolen from Coin Laundry" wrote in black marker on  it.  That way a family member can be shamed  by other family members for stealing stupid stuff.  They take  toilet paper, used garbage bags out of cans, paper towels, pick up cigarette butts, other peoples clothing.  Over all though, most people are very civil and orderly. Corruption is not limited to the poor, mentally ill, sick, drug addict or alcoholic.  Rich, famous, political, LEO, people of faith or anyone is capable of doing wrong against other humans and nature.  I have faith that people in general are  good.  And have lots of insurance.

So, how did the car sound when you started it? 

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2019, 10:57:32 AM »

So, how did the car sound when you started it?

i didn't start it up at all. when i got there my neighbor had already scoped it out and pointed out that they had left a small beat up bottle jack under the car. we initially assumed they were coming for the tires but that he scared them off.  when taking out the bottle jack i looked underneath and then noticed some cut cables and the hole where the cat. used to be.

i live in oakland, california and there is new homeless encampment near a freeway overpass not too far from my place. my parking is street parking. i do not have the luxury of a private driveway or a garage, alas. there are now a couple of guys at that homeless camp who have a shiny maroon pickup truck and are doing a thriving business in stealing bicycles and aluminum car rims/tires. they remover the wheels from the bike and cut the spokes out with a small bolt cutter. the aluminum rim goes into the bed of the truck and the rest of the bike is just scattered around the homeless camp. the car rims go into the bed of the pickup after they have sliced off the tires. the whole thing is tarped over and waits until they fill the bed - then i assume its off to the recycler.  the cops do nothing.  if you call this in on the local non-emergency number the dispatcher will listen patiently and then .....nothing happens.   from what we can piece together the crew stealing the cat's is a different bunch altogether.  my neighbor noted that they were driving a black mercedez.  i guess there is money in stealing aluminum.
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

--- Anonymous

oldbike54

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2019, 11:19:10 AM »
^^^This type of crime is almost always committed by professional criminals , if there is enough profit in something , stopping it can be very difficult .
 Some years back a couple of friends went to Dallas for an event , they spent the evening at a high end motel in a *safe* part of town . The next morning they discovered that everything worth stealing from the $50K Lincoln Navigator they were driving was gone . The thieves used a very small drill bit to drill strategically placed holes around the door lock on the passenger side , knowing how to bypass all of the security mechanisms . The Ford was equipped those little TV's for the rear seats , a high end stereo , leather seats , all of the amenities . The thieves removed almost the entire interior in about 3 minutes per the security cameras that the desk clerk apparently wasn't watching , then simply drove away in a vehicle parked just out of camera shot .

Dusty

Offline nbags

• Hatchling
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2019, 11:32:24 AM »
you probably need to not worry as aftermarket cat converter are worth very small amount of money in scrap ,what i have done in the past was to paint it  with bright orange paint ,my thought was when i called the police i would describe it properly and my be a scrap yard may not want to be involve in a possible illegal activity ( well they may get caught easier )

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
Re: CATALYTIC CONVERTER STOLEN LAST NIGHT - UPDATE
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2019, 07:45:49 PM »
hi all,

just got the car back from the shop. the whole job came to $2,647 and included the usual repair shenanigans of charging ludicrous amounts for nuts and bolts. the thing that really stands out though is the listed charge for the honda oem catalytic converter. anyone wanna guesss. ok, don't.  it was $1,982 for the converter alone. i was stunned. out of pocket i was only liable for my $500 deductible but the cost of the cat from honda was ridiculous.  in CA we need to use CA approved converters and they can be had online for varying prices but a reasonable average was around $350 so you can see that honda's price is wildly over the mark.

i asked the guy at the shop whether or not painting it orange and etching in my car license # would help. he chortled a bit and said "no, not really."
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

--- Anonymous

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2019, 07:48:55 PM »
 :shocked:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2019, 08:24:58 PM »

Hopefully precautions can be taken as any officer of the law will tell you " They'll Be Back".   

A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here