Author Topic: So pretty sure my v7ii is missing the thrust washer  (Read 4341 times)

Offline benebob

• New Egg
So pretty sure my v7ii is missing the thrust washer
« on: April 20, 2019, 07:45:56 PM »
Having to turn the adjuster bolt at the tranny 4.5 turns (almost out of adjustment down there) just to be able to turn the adjuster at the lever most of the way back in at my 600 mile service.   A few rides sine the whole thing seems pretty  "inconsistant" so for the first time in my life it looks like I need to find a dealer to take  the thing.  Any suggestions.?  Seems to me it isn't gonna be a simple task.  I could care less where it goes so long as they give me a loaner bike to take home.  Only dealer in PA is west chester now.  got soe brake fluid down there a few weeks back, seems pretty ghost town like.  Wish Guzzi would do warranty work like CSC. 
16 V7 ABS "the wapper"

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: So pretty sure my v7ii is missing the thrust washer
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 07:49:15 AM »
At least the mechanic in West Chester probably isn't that busy (unless Indian sales/service is booming).

I'd be shocked as all hell if they gave you a loaner, but ask and be nice, then complain to Piaggio directly (not about them, but about the situation).

Because unless something's changed it could take a month or two.

With Martin Moto and Europa Mechanica dropping Guzzi and FBF closed (at least FBF used to sometimes loan out the old man's Jackal) I suspect that West Chester is your only option for a very long way.

I might be tempted to try Hamlin's but I suspect it would mean needing at least as much patience.

Sorry to hear, I've tried warning a bunch of people about the II's if this situation would be problematic.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 08:00:24 AM »
Ya might want to visit the Guzzi tech website, there's a list of vin's there concerning the thrust washer issue &see if you're close. Unfortunately from your description it sounds like it. I dodged that bullet by a few hundred #s , whew!

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 10:56:59 AM »
Just a thought. Could the clutch push rod bearing have crapped out?

Good luck,
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 10:56:59 AM »

Offline benebob

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 10:59:47 AM »
Ya might want to visit the Guzzi tech website, there's a list of vin's there concerning the thrust washer issue &see if you're close. Unfortunately from your description it sounds like it. I dodged that bullet by a few hundred #s , whew!

Do you got a link. I can’t seem to find any vin listings. If it is there I am even more po at mg as they new the bike was missing it and left it for after a sale. They will have 39 days to do the work or they will be buying it back.
16 V7 ABS "the wapper"

Offline benebob

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 11:07:32 AM »
At least the mechanic in West Chester probably isn't that busy (unless Indian sales/service is booming).

I'd be shocked as all hell if they gave you a loaner, but ask and be nice, then complain to Piaggio directly (not about them, but about the situation).

Because unless something's changed it could take a month or two.

With Martin Moto and Europa Mechanica dropping Guzzi and FBF closed (at least FBF used to sometimes loan out the old man's Jackal) I suspect that West Chester is your only option for a very long way.

I might be tempted to try Hamlin's but I suspect it would mean needing at least as much patience.

Sorry to hear, I've tried warning a bunch of people about the II's if this situation would be problematic.

I don’t think they have indian anymore. Guessing indian demanded they have a stand alone. I don’t care where it goes so long as they aren’t as incompetent enough to work at the factory. Of course any scratches they will have bought a bike. Looks like if guzzi won’t be giving me a loaner bike. They will be buying back the bike plus paying for all my troubles as i know they cannot do it within the 30 day limit for the bike version of lemon law.     
16 V7 ABS "the wapper"

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 12:17:36 PM »
Really? No Indian?

They closed the NJ shop and I thought it was all gonna stay in WC?

Did something change about the PA lemon law? I remember years back it didn't apply to bikes. My buddy was lucky as he was living in NJ and commuting to PA and proceeded with a lemon law case on a bike in NJ that he'd bought in PA.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline benebob

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 12:48:10 PM »
Really? No Indian?

They closed the NJ shop and I thought it was all gonna stay in WC?

Did something change about the PA lemon law? I remember years back it didn't apply to bikes. My buddy was lucky as he was living in NJ and commuting to PA and proceeded with a lemon law case on a bike in NJ that he'd bought in PA.

Lemon law doesn’t apply to bikes but consumer laws cover it.  Unless they have a differnt website and different location. No Indian
16 V7 ABS "the wapper"

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 07:29:01 PM »
Lemon law doesn’t apply to bikes but consumer laws cover it.  Unless they have a differnt website and different location. No Indian

Oh well, I guess in that case I expect them to be open about another 5 minutes.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 05:22:33 AM »
I was at my dealer’s shop this weekend - Hamlin’s , and we were talking about this.  The fix from Guzzi is a new engine.  He’s already done a couple.  They figure shipping the entire lump and covering 4 hours labor is the best way to go.  Also gets it done quicker to avoid lemon law claims.  There was a small percentage of ‘16’s affected.  The crank end play basically eats the washer due to faulty oiling (lack of). 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 06:51:50 AM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 08:52:03 AM »
Having to turn the adjuster bolt at the tranny 4.5 turns (almost out of adjustment down there) just to be able to turn the adjuster at the lever most of the way back in at my 600 mile service.   A few rides sine the whole thing seems pretty  "inconsistant" so for the first time in my life it looks like I need to find a dealer to take  the thing.  Any suggestions.?  Seems to me it isn't gonna be a simple task.  I could care less where it goes so long as they give me a loaner bike to take home.  Only dealer in PA is west chester now.  got soe brake fluid down there a few weeks back, seems pretty ghost town like.  Wish Guzzi would do warranty work like CSC.
Is it a Stone, Special, or Racer?  It seemed to be affecting Stones primarily, but someone said a Racer was affected...differen t theories as to why.

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 09:06:54 AM »
They have been screwing up that thrust washer for thirty five years.  Makes me wonder why I still like Guzzis.
When they get it right, they are wonderful bikes but they shoot themselves in the foot so many times, how are they still in business?
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2019, 10:25:11 AM »
http://hamlincycles.com/

Give Jim a call, he's been through the process.  Don't hold your breath on a "loaner" bike, it doesn't work that way.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline benebob

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2019, 02:49:12 PM »
http://hamlincycles.com/

Give Jim a call, he's been through the process.  Don't hold your breath on a "loaner" bike, it doesn't work that way.

Works that way at any other marque dealer I have ever owned.   Guess Piaggio that is just another reason why Piaggio can't compete against even Chinese manufacturers.  I'm stopping at WC tomorrow on the way back from a doc visit in Philly so hopefully they can diagnosis it and get the ball rolling. Simply the worst built motorcycle I've ever owned. 
16 V7 ABS "the wapper"

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2019, 03:10:00 PM »
Works that way at any other marque dealer I have ever owned.   Guess Piaggio that is just another reason why Piaggio can't compete against even Chinese manufacturers.  I'm stopping at WC tomorrow on the way back from a doc visit in Philly so hopefully they can diagnosis it and get the ball rolling. Simply the worst built motorcycle I've ever owned.

I understand your frustration. But maybe you should just move on.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline benebob

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2019, 04:33:08 PM »
I understand your frustration. But maybe you should just move on.

Expecting a machine to be built with quality parts, by trained workers and actually lasts more miles then a walmart bicycle is too much for Piaggio?  :)  Sure, I'll move on as soon as someone gives me the 8k I have in it.  Wanna buy some lawn art?  :) 
16 V7 ABS "the wapper"

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2019, 08:52:39 PM »
I feel for you as i have a v7ii. I  bought an f150 and the engine intake manifold crapped out. Than the engine bit the dust. Than the warranty company denied the warranty depite the fact i owned it only a month. Than after i scraped 10000.00 dollars together i got a crate motor installed. It left my wife stranded in the middle of busy street while i was on a 24 hour shift away at work with a new motor. The motor didn't blow a gasket but i did. That was little over a year ago. I see thousands of people drive fords and swear by them.

Things happen. Doesnt matter the brand. If you got bad feelings on it i don't blame you. But i can say that v7 motor in proper working order is great and robust.

Ive known several Honda motorcycles to be quite probematic.
Same with a kawasaki from hell that i gave away.
Best wishes

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2019, 06:55:55 AM »
It's very annoying, to be sure - especially at the start of the riding season.

Get yourself a spare motorcycle.  There are a lot of low mileage used ones out there for good prices. 
 :bike-037:

Offline benebob

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2019, 02:57:57 PM »
It's very annoying, to be sure - especially at the start of the riding season.

Get yourself a spare motorcycle.  There are a lot of low mileage used ones out there for good prices. 
 :bike-037:

The guzzi is my spare bike because it isnt exactly an every day bike 365 days a year in PA nor on single track.  Sadly, I'm finding it isn't for anything but lawn art.  Dealer said they agree that the thing is eating itself.  I told them I fully expect that Guzzi will be paying for the 2nd 600 mile service.  They told me I would need to take that up with Guzzi.  What a freaking joke.  Guess which dealer will never get a dime of my money.  30 days starts today until the lawsuit against Piaggio begins.  Plan and simple if the bike was within the range of vin numbers it should have been pulled immediately by any rep. company and fixed prior to sale.  At which point I would suspect it could have been done by replacing parts not a new engine.  That is enough reason alone for me to never buy a Piaggio product again in my lifetime.
16 V7 ABS "the wapper"

oldbike54

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2019, 03:06:31 PM »
Expecting a machine to be built with quality parts, by trained workers and actually lasts more miles then a walmart bicycle is too much for Piaggio?  :)  Sure, I'll move on as soon as someone gives me the 8k I have in it.  Wanna buy some lawn art?  :)

No snark intended , I think what Cam meant was that after resolving the issue you should move on . Point is , you will likely never be happy with any Guzzi , so why bother . Many of us have ridden the damn things for huge miles with little trouble , but like any brand , some will be problematic . Hell man , despite Honda and HD having reputations for being reliable , for whatever reason every time I get on one of those two brands something breaks.

Dusty

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2019, 03:19:44 PM »
Plan and simple if the bike was within the range of vin numbers it should have been pulled immediately by any rep. company and fixed prior to sale.  At which point I would suspect it could have been done by replacing parts not a new engine.  That is enough reason alone for me to never buy a Piaggio product again in my lifetime.

A. How exactly do you envision them pulling the crankshaft with the engine still installed?

2. By-bye.

I don't mean to sound callous. But though I have empathy for your plight, your complete umbrage erodes it.

I think Cam is right, and it's a shame but in the end you're the one that will miss out.

But ignorance is bliss, so seek it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 03:39:20 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline benebob

• New Egg
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2019, 03:46:59 PM »
Did I say that?  I said replace it BEFORE you sell the thing that has been sitting without a thrust washer for 3 years on a dealer floor that way you can reuse the rest of the engine as it hasn't been run. 

Ignorance isn't bliss.  Ignorance is Piaggio if they are so stupid they won't bend over when they have a live one buy one of their bikes.  I don't see anyone here lining up to take the thing off my hands at a very fair price with the parts installed etc.  :)  You're more than welcome to come enjoy some lawn art! It sure is pretty, ridable, not so much but who in their right mind buy a bike to ride.  :) 
16 V7 ABS "the wapper"

oldbike54

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2019, 03:51:17 PM »
 Chill out fellas . Seriously .

Dusty

Offline Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2019, 04:02:52 PM »
I'm with you benebob but can't see that Piaggio will be very compliant.Guzzi's have allways seemed to need a few tweeks after they were uncrated and bout but the thrust wahser issue and some of the camshaft ones are just outrageous, as is the way piaggio has dealt with them.On the other hand , once they are sorted they are outstanding and for nearly all models pretty bullit proof. The small blocs too ! So I'd persist with a legal approach but also get a knowlwgable, serious and possibly independent mechanic to look after her either after Piaggio sort it our or not.

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2019, 04:06:50 PM »
I've got 4 Guzzi's, all lovable in their own way - additionally because of the folks herein, But.
Get yourself a Suzuki 650cc V twin, in any form.  R3~

Offline benebob

• New Egg
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2019, 04:25:26 PM »
I'm with you benebob but can't see that Piaggio will be very compliant.Guzzi's have allways seemed to need a few tweeks after they were uncrated and bout but the thrust wahser issue and some of the camshaft ones are just outrageous, as is the way piaggio has dealt with them.On the other hand , once they are sorted they are outstanding and for nearly all models pretty bullit proof. The small blocs too ! So I'd persist with a legal approach but also get a knowlwgable, serious and possibly independent mechanic to look after her either after Piaggio sort it our or not.

I have never taken a bike to a mechanic in my 30 years of riding until today.  Sure I've taken some heads in or sent forks in for rebuilding but never needed a mechanic.  Only reason it went in as it is under warranty.  The best part is I was looking at buying a Triumph Trident for a 2nd bike to keep miles off the Tiger until the prices of the 3rd gen 800 drops to a tolerable level for someone who uses it off road.  I got the Guzzi instead with the logic that it would be more reliable and less of a headache.  Guess I failed the logic class.  I am more horrified by the complete lack of customer care then anything.  Crap happens, it is how you clean it up but so far Piaggio is just paying staff to wipe it all over the walls.
16 V7 ABS "the wapper"

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2019, 04:44:23 PM »
Bob it's nearly unforgivable.

I can't imagine why they haven't tried to narrow down the effected engines or, if they have, why they wouldn't fix them before sale.

I actually think the issue is they don't have a definitive list. It's one guy on the assembly line who randomly left out the washer (or more recent reports suggest put it in backwards, misaligning the oil passageways).

It's entirely possible they really don't know for sure which bikes by Vin are effected.

You're absolutely right to me pissed.

But you take the diatribe to unreasonable absolutes and erode our sympathy for the situation. It's unfortunate, but the fact.

If you dig it, then see it through. Be firm, but fair and courteous and I bet they'll take care of you.

Be unmovable and arguably unrealistic and I bet you'll wind up unhappy.

Sun's getting long, I'm heading back the house and off the beach. Time to feed the tribe.

I do wish you a positive outcome.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline benebob

• New Egg
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2019, 04:05:32 PM »
So since I am unreasonable expecting Guzzi to foot the bill for my losses in labor and parts at this point how long should I expect for Guzzi to even decide that the dealers diagnosis is correct and that a new engine is on the way.  Curious as I have heard nodda in going on 3 days.  Considering they have 30 days to fix the thing by law one would feel the would be a little more proactive to avoid going to court and paying all legal fees on top of refunding full value of the bike as well as damages under federal law.  Yes, as you can see I have been in contact with an attorney. 
16 V7 ABS "the wapper"

oldbike54

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2019, 04:15:13 PM »
So since I am unreasonable expecting Guzzi to foot the bill for my losses in labor and parts at this point how long should I expect for Guzzi to even decide that the dealers diagnosis is correct and that a new engine is on the way.  Curious as I have heard nodda in going on 3 days.  Considering they have 30 days to fix the thing by law one would feel the would be a little more proactive to avoid going to court and paying all legal fees on top of refunding full value of the bike as well as damages under federal law.  Yes, as you can see I have been in contact with an attorney.

No idea . It is interesting that the attorney in question didn't advise you to NOT talk about this on the internet .

Dusty

Offline benebob

• New Egg
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2019, 04:26:44 PM »
No idea . It is interesting that the attorney in question didn't advise you to NOT talk about this on the internet .

Dusty

That would be only for the party that is in the wrong.  Considering I did nothing wrong and as of today the clutch is now making a nice little noise when released.  Sounds pretty much like a bad bearing so it is completely unridable.  Such fun.
16 V7 ABS "the wapper"

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here