Author Topic: 71 bsa thunderbolt w period attachments  (Read 1008 times)

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
71 bsa thunderbolt w period attachments
« on: April 22, 2019, 08:00:26 AM »
I like this stuff...generally unmolested but the proper period touches, regardless of chopper, cafe, sport, , race track or touring style...I think of this stuff as period antiques that are one of a kind from the hand of an individual, less so a useful motorcycle...I'm less interested in riding such things and giving more consideration on how to preserve

https://newlondon.craigslist.org/mcy/d/oakdale-bsa-thunderbolt-1971/6871362390.html

"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 71 bsa thunderbolt w period attachments
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 04:26:10 PM »
Unless I knew the guy personally, I wouldn't take a chance on the "just needs a battery and gas to run good" wheeze. 

Maybe it just needs a battery and "carbs cleaned".    Cleaning the carb so that it will start means twiddling out the pilot air adjustment, gently cleaning the pilot passage with a #78 drill bit (about .016" I think, I have several), and twiddling the screw back in, about a 5 minute job on this single carb bike.

Or maybe it needs a new crankshaft or camshaft or con rod or something.   I wouldn't gamble $2300 (plus the $300 for fork tubes before I could ride it) on the thing of needing a $50 to run ...!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 05:50:39 PM »
I like this stuff...generally unmolested but the proper period touches, regardless of chopper, cafe, sport, , race track or touring style...I think of this stuff as period antiques that are one of a kind from the hand of an individual, less so a useful motorcycle...I'm less interested in riding such things and giving more consideration on how to preserve

https://newlondon.craigslist.org/mcy/d/oakdale-bsa-thunderbolt-1971/6871362390.html

I also like these bikes very much.  They are a more accurate representation of the reality of bikes than most "period correct" builds.  So few survive the worthless years, much less normal wear and tear attrition, to then survive restoration to save them from how they were actually used and enjoyed by someone. 

I bumped into an old bike friend about a year ago, with an amazing 1969-70 bonneville in fantastic shape as customized to cafe style when still new.  Clubman bars, bates seat, custom but well done paint.  The owner had inherited it from an uncle with a new in the crate T150.  He wanted the Bonneville "restored" to correct original to ride.  My friend tried to explain the significance of the well done custom work, but he wasn't interested.  So he negotiated to keep the cool parts removed as a package to build another bike as part of his bill for restoring the bike.  We were both bummed to see such a special machine lost, but it didn't belong to either of us.

Except for a low$$ pair of empty silentium shells and red frame repainted argent, My V7 Sport is a time capsule.  It remains as built & customized in 76-77 in a colllege student's apartment and ridden hard until being parked in the early 80's.  To me, it's a responsibility to not restore it, no matter what the restoration experts say.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline troyhamilton

• Gaggle Hero
  • Dr frankie
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 06:11:36 PM »
I had a 68 bsa lighting, miss it!
Dr Frankie!
1967 v7, gone
heldorado, gone
1975 850-t gone
1974 850-t gone.
2002 Jackal!
we need a tech section!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 06:11:36 PM »

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 08:41:48 PM »
I have a '71 Triumph I'm (slowly) trying to save from a JC Whitney customization. I'm not all that hung up on perfection, but the shorty glass packs, short shocks, and drag bars have to go...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 06:38:58 AM »
 I agree with Lannis somewhat...Compared to Triumph, late BSA's had all sorts of potential expensive problems caused by engine design and very poor factory build quality...But..A good one might be under the stupid chopper look....I wouldn't be too afraid if you can do any required work and have a grand to spend on repairs.

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 07:10:42 AM »
That's right in my AO. Good thing I don't play with Limey stuff anymore. When I did, I stayed away from BSA's because of the reasons already stated in this thread. Looks like a decent example, though. Forks and bars can be changed, repo mufflers are available.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here