Author Topic: Finally a Norton  (Read 3390 times)

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Finally a Norton
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2022, 07:39:38 AM »
Kenny’s bike looks cool, but drum brakes? That was one of the biggest disappointments for me when I sold my first generation Yamaha 350 for my ‘71 Nort. The Yamaha drum brakes were way better and even the handling more positive.
Norton managed to turn a race bike into a tourer. True the isolastics let you travel in comfort but it had lost its edge.

Pete
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 07:40:05 AM by PeteS »

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2022, 09:42:15 AM »
I bet those drum brakes stop quite well on that bike. I assume the drums have been turned and or lined, stiffening kit and properly dialed in adjustments.  The drum brake on my bike stops quite a bit better than expected even without the stiffening kit and is perfectly fine for local roads. I tend to keep away from freeways though but I will ride down one when needed though I keep a fair distance from other vehicles.  I also assume that the owner of that bike probably wanted to keep the original drum brake. The only thing that I don't like about the bike is the shade of green as I'd rather have traditional British Racing Green. 
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2022, 10:49:52 AM »
 I rode a ‘68 Fastback with the bolt on rear drum that actually worked on that bike. The quick change rear was a poor replacement only slightly better than dragging your feet. That prompted me to replace it with the MKIII rear setup.

Pete

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2022, 07:18:41 AM »
It's in baskets now, waiting for my time.

Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2022, 07:18:41 AM »

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2022, 12:47:23 PM »
It's in baskets now, waiting for my time.

Time and a big bucket of cash.  I'm still using the original gas tank and only using non-ethanol gas, so far so good.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2022, 07:55:47 AM »
Time and a big bucket of cash.  I'm still using the original gas tank and only using non-ethanol gas, so far so good.

It's a small bucket after renovating any Italian motorcycle, and I won't have to manufacture any unavailable parts. :)
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2022, 11:56:30 AM »
It's a small bucket after renovating any Italian motorcycle, and I won't have to manufacture any unavailable parts. :)

True. Andover has just about every part for my 68 except for the gas & oil tank and the side panel cover. It's likely they will not produce those items given such a short run of those bikes compared to the rest of the Commando's.  Good luck with the project. 
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline guzzista

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2022, 12:52:58 PM »
I'm almost 2 years post my hip replacement and am back to kicking bikes just fine, so maybe I can continue to avoid having an electric start Norton.  A Commando needs to shift on the "right" side!

For those of us not getting younger and longing for the electric leg version, no argument there, but perhaps a stopgap or a bit easier kickstarting, RGM motors has been offering a folding kickstart for the Commandos ( except MK3 and some rearset equipped bikes).
Kinda like the one on Ducati 900 SS Bevel. Had one on my last Commando and found it an improvement.

https://www.rgmnorton.co.uk/buy/kickstart-our-own-design-swivels-at-base_728.htm
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 12:53:50 PM by guzzista »
1975 750S Tribute bike, 1994 Cali 1100, 2007 Ducati GT1000, 1983 SP1000, 1973 V7Sport project, 2017 California1400 Touring

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2022, 08:33:34 AM »
From my experience, the BEST way to buy a Norton is to get one already restored, running, sorted, like this beauty! :thumb: :bow: :cool: :boozing: :wink: :smiley:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online 2WheelsUp

• Hatchling
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2023, 06:09:30 PM »
Been a while since I initially posted this topic and I wanted update folks. It's done, I finished the restoration of my 1975 Norton Commando MK3. I didn't do a restoration thread mostly because I wasn't sure how things were going to progress or how long it was going to take. I did a complete teardown/assembly with no stone, or bolt in this case, unturned. It took about a year, and was quite challenging, much more so than my LM1. Multiple reasons for this but suffice to say, "there's the right way, the wrong way, and the English way"... enough said. I did have support of the people on AccessNorton, Greg Marsh in particular who helped me the engine/gearbox. As I think you'll see in the pictures and videos that it came out great. I think I can say it runs and looks like new, probably better. I have around 750 miles on it since I completed it in October. Very different riding experience to the LM1 but I love it! Like Guzzis, Nortons have a very loyal following and now I understand why. More videos on my YT channel (https://www.youtube.com/@BRUCE_SWAN_MOTORCYCLES), and pictures of the build on my Flickr stream https://www.flickr.com/photos/195241807@N05/albums

https://youtu.be/Dka3Uodne4E  https://youtu.be/h-sVjBmlVgE?si=3IJ7XULIpHK09FR4

Bruce Swan
1978 Moto Guzzi Lemans
1975 Norton Commando
1997 Ducati 748
2001 Harley Davidson Road King
2017 Ducati 939 SS

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2023, 06:52:02 PM »

There is a guy down here, Beno Rodi, who has a long background in British bikes and racing that I'll talk to but if anyone can recommend someone please let me know, doesn't have to be local.

CI0t2-1200x900.jpg[/img][/url]

Chris Greenbacker in Thurmont, MD has done a lot of nice restorations (full and partial to the owners' specifications).  I don't know what his waiting time is these days, but it's a sure bet that it is quicker than what I've heard about Colorado Norton Works.
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2023, 06:55:17 PM »
Beautiful job 2wheelsUp. I can feel the torque just looking at it. What was the sorting period like?
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Online 2WheelsUp

• Hatchling
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2023, 09:13:56 PM »
What was the sorting period like?
Initially I had a hard time dialing in the carburetors which was more due to timing. I got that settled, now the carburation is now perfect. Once I had it running, I took incrementally longer rides, 5, 10, 20, 50, checking for missing parts and loose fasteners until I couldn't find any problems. Didn't lose any parts, but did a few of fasteners. I've re-torqued the head twice and virtually all the fasteners, particularly frame/engine mounts since I powder coated the frame. My last ride was 100 miles and all was good until I found my bike wasn't charging anymore. Bad stator, I'm dealing with that now, but overall things are good. I'm moving to a 21T sprocket from a factory spec 20T to get a bit more cruising speed at a comfortable RPM. I rebuilt the main wire harness to remove deprecated wires/connections since I removed the capacitor, zeners, assimilator, and condensers in lieu of EI, digital Reg/Rect, and a CNW dual fire coil. The picture I posted shows a test fit, the final one is wrapped with the proper adhesive free tape. I rebuilt the handlebar switches and had the kill switch come loose on a ride... almost stranded me. I rebuilt the forks with stock components and initially it was pretty harsh. Seems to have softened a bit but I'm going to try 15w fork oil over the 20w I have in it now. Overall, the handling is good just a bit firmer than I'd like. I rebuilt the brakes, went with a 13mm M/C and am very happy with how they are working contrary to what many complain about although the MK3 has front and rear disks and the rear does a good job. I swapped in a 3mm clutch plate to get an easier clutch pull... worked beautifully, 2 fingers now. While I have things dialed in at this point, this is going to be a bike that you need to do a good pre-ride and post-ride check. I'm fine with that, don't mind tinkering with it to keep it running tip-top. I may have mentioned that initially I was looking for a Fastback but now that I have a Roadster, I'm in love with it. Still really like FBs but I'm in a good place.
Bruce Swan
1978 Moto Guzzi Lemans
1975 Norton Commando
1997 Ducati 748
2017 Ducati 939 SS

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2023, 09:36:23 PM »
Beautiful work! Are the cases chrome plated or just polished? Can’t say I have ever seen aluminum that shiny!

Pete

Online 2WheelsUp

• Hatchling
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2023, 09:48:12 PM »
Chris Greenbacker in Thurmont, MD has done a lot of nice restorations (full and partial to the owners' specifications).  I don't know what his waiting time is these days, but it's a sure bet that it is quicker than what I've heard about Colorado Norton Works.
I spoke with Chris when I was starting. Great guy and am aware of the good work he's done for guys out of the D.C. club. Greg Marsh also lives in the area, and I chose him mostly because he has a very active presence on A/N, also has spent a lifetime working on Nortons and Triumphs, and we connected well on our initial call... both of us are old IT guys. No regrets, Greg did a great job and always offers up his time to help. As far as CNW, my understanding is that Matt is working on his last builds. One of my good friends allegedly has the very last one he's doing, should be complete in the Spring. In any event, I wasn't looking for that, nor did I want to spend $35K+ for a Norton. As frustrating as these builds can be, it's hard to quantify the satisfaction when throwing your leg over and turning the key on a machine you poured over for months examining and perfecting every component. Looking for my next build... hard these days since everything is so expensive to start with, but I have some leads.
Bruce Swan
1978 Moto Guzzi Lemans
1975 Norton Commando
1997 Ducati 748
2017 Ducati 939 SS

Online 2WheelsUp

• Hatchling
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2023, 09:53:13 PM »
Beautiful work! Are the cases chrome plated or just polished? Can’t say I have ever seen aluminum that shiny!

Pete
I get that question a lot, they are polished aluminum. As are the wheel rims, calipers, fork legs, and footrest frame plates, levers, etc. Fenders and spokes are stainless steel. Exhaust, footrests, kickstarter, and headlight bucket are chrome.
Bruce Swan
1978 Moto Guzzi Lemans
1975 Norton Commando
1997 Ducati 748
2017 Ducati 939 SS

Offline Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2023, 07:04:48 AM »
The bike turned out fantastic.  I just got back from throwing rocks at mine.   :cheesy:
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Online 2WheelsUp

• Hatchling
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2023, 07:32:52 AM »
The bike turned out fantastic.  I just got back from throwing rocks at mine.   :cheesy:
Thanks Dave. Yeah, they can be annoying sometimes.
Bruce Swan
1978 Moto Guzzi Lemans
1975 Norton Commando
1997 Ducati 748
2017 Ducati 939 SS

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2023, 07:57:08 AM »
I get that question a lot, they are polished aluminum. As are the wheel rims, calipers, fork legs, and footrest frame plates, levers, etc. Fenders and spokes are stainless steel. Exhaust, footrests, kickstarter, and headlight bucket are chrome.

One of the things I love about my Norton.  Whenever it needs a refresh I pull the fork legs, engine covers etc and fire up the buffing wheel.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline faffi

• Gosling
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2023, 04:13:04 PM »
Fantastic bike :bow:

As to owning back all the bikes of my past - nope. Cannot see myself store and maintain closer to 50 bikes, even if I had the room and money. But cudos to those who take on such a challenge :thumb:
Current bikes:
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

Online 2WheelsUp

• Hatchling
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2023, 09:54:28 PM »
Fantastic bike :bow:

As to owning back all the bikes of my past - nope. Cannot see myself store and maintain closer to 50 bikes, even if I had the room and money. But cudos to those who take on such a challenge :thumb:
I guess I'm fortunate to not have owned that many... I seemed to hold them a long time, several I never sold, and I'm happy to say I've met my goal. Now I'm expanding to bikes I "wished" I owned when I was young, lol. I have my eye on a couple bikes that fit that criterion, and there's an empty lift table sitting in my garage, and the Winter is on us.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 09:55:10 PM by 2WheelsUp »
Bruce Swan
1978 Moto Guzzi Lemans
1975 Norton Commando
1997 Ducati 748
2017 Ducati 939 SS

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2023, 02:55:11 PM »
So this is my 71 Norton ... circa 1975 in Dekalb IL.

Yes... a Norton chopper, and I wasn't the only one, many triumph choppers as well. What were we smok'in?
The only remaining capital offence in the UK. I'm seeking to have you extradicted. There's no statute of limitation.

Offline Speciality

• New Egg
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2023, 10:37:01 AM »
It was a capital offence until Norton themselves produced the Hi Rider….Bizarrely they fetch high prices now. Back in the day a friend of mine (who had no taste) bought one. It was orange…..

Online 2WheelsUp

• Hatchling
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2023, 03:54:10 PM »
The only remaining capital offence in the UK. I'm seeking to have you extradicted. There's no statute of limitation.
Sorry, hard to say what I was thinking but I was 19 so who knows. Back then no one wore helmets... cheap sunglasses, a belly full of beer, and sometimes a pretty girl on the back. Somehow, I managed to stay alive and didn't kill anyone else. I did get a grip once I got out of school... bought a 1978 MG Lemans, a full-face Bell Star helmet and proper riding gear. Hit the road and toured the US over the next 10 years. Versions of both those bikes have come back to me now and it's wonderful!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 03:55:57 PM by 2WheelsUp »
Bruce Swan
1978 Moto Guzzi Lemans
1975 Norton Commando
1997 Ducati 748
2017 Ducati 939 SS

Online 2WheelsUp

• Hatchling
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2023, 03:57:14 PM »
It was a capital offence until Norton themselves produced the Hi Rider….Bizarrely they fetch high prices now. Back in the day a friend of mine (who had no taste) bought one. It was orange…..
So you're saying I was ahead of my time?
Bruce Swan
1978 Moto Guzzi Lemans
1975 Norton Commando
1997 Ducati 748
2017 Ducati 939 SS

Offline Mark Dasher

• Gosling
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2023, 08:15:21 PM »

My bike has 13K miles, bought from the second owner since 1990, and he did a partial restoration, including the top end/pistons/rings, done in 2006 by Frank Holmes (Franks Britt Bike Barn in NH) but the PO doesn't have records and doesn't remember what all was done, and Frank has retired. I did find a phone number for Frank, so perhaps he'll have some records. The picture below shows my bike right after the work was done in 2006... looked pretty good... however shortly after the resto it sat unattended in a garage (suspect uncovered, what a shame) until now as shown in the other pictures. I don't know how severe things are until I get it here or what was done internally so I'll most likely be pulling it all apart and starting over, which is fine, it was factored into the price. The bike starts but I don't really want to run it until I look inside the cylinders and sort out what, if any, damage happened during it's long sleep. My understanding is that the camshafts on the Mk3 (maybe earlier versions as well) are a weak point as well as the layshaft bearings, and wet sumping issues can be solved with a Jim Comstock valve. I need to find a engine builder I can trust... sort of the Charlie Mullendore of Nortons (I already asked Charlie, not interested). There is a guy down here, Beno Rodi, who has a long background in British bikes and racing that I'll talk to but if anyone can recommend someone please let me know, doesn't have to be local.

In any event, I'll post back here when I have something significant and maybe message some you Norton guys for advice.

[/quote]

Beno Rodi is an excellent source and extremely knowledgeable.  I'd contact him since he's in your neighborhood.  You've got a great looking bike there!

--Mark

'75 850T
'78 Robin
'06 Breva 1100

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2023, 10:01:10 PM »
Quote from: blackcat on August 10, 2022, 12:49:51 PM
This is one of the bikes my friend Kenny built from NYC Norton. Kenny does great work and if I had lots of cash and wanted to have a Norton built, he is the guy I'd talk to about doing the work. The workmanship is quite good.

The gallery has some great photo's of the bikes:

https://nycnorton.com
Killer bike! One of my old riding buddies is having a Norton built by Matt at CNW, allegedly the last full restoration CNW is doing. The numbers are insane, you have to really love Nortons to justify it... and I guess a lot of people do because it's tough to get into one of his his build cycles, suspect NYC is the same.

What a fantastic looking machine!
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Cal3Me

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2023, 08:49:53 PM »
FB's have a smaller narrower frame so fitting FB bits to a later frame would take some doing. I re-habbed this 70' model a couple years ago. I also have the MK3 my first norton owned and others. The analog boyer of 20 yrs. still works. I put an Alton kit on my 73' 850 just for fun but don't really need it. Access Norton is the place to be.

TMS

Offline Cal3Me

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2023, 09:16:56 PM »
I also have a real nice green FB gas tank and matching tail piece if anyone needs one.

TMS

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here