Author Topic: Marzocchi Ev oil/upgrades  (Read 632 times)

Offline ampm7

• Gosling
Marzocchi Ev oil/upgrades
« on: April 11, 2021, 04:25:11 PM »
Just went on another 100+ mile loop that I do every week and was wondering about a couple of questions I have. I have the stock Marzocchi forks (one side compression, one side rebound) and wondered whether anyone has put in different weights of oil for either fork. Since I bought the bike about 6 months ago I have been improving it in maintenance and upgrades. It is a good bike. I won't get into the fueling intricacies as I am not at the final solution to that problem however, the bike's forks have not been probably serviced since 2013 or before. I am debating whether to drop in some Andreani's or simply clean them out and add oil. They work OK but they have a tendency to wonder on the road. That could be a problem with the oil as I have improved damping qualities on other bikes by increasing oil weight. I have used Matris before and the improvement (late model Eldo) was excellent. I want to do everything at once; lower the front forks to 20-25mm, change oil, possibly have new fork internals, paint the lowers, and clean the forks out thoroughly. Has anyone done any of these things and what was the result that you personally had?
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador, 1998 EV, Honda 1972 850 Ambassador, 2022 Indian Super Chief Limited

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Marzocchi Ev oil/upgrades
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 03:28:05 PM »
Lowered the fork oil to a 5wt from 20wt with great results, 2007 v7. As mileage has gone past 15k, much better response. If you’ve got wandering going on, that’s not very Guzzi like...tire pressure up in the 36-38 range?..in the front of an EV, I believe it’s helpful up there in that range

EV are a bigger deal internally but a service can only help at looking for a problem

Any noises when you kick the front tire from the front?
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 12:00:46 PM »
I last used 15 onces of #15 Maxima. works well for me on rough roads. I might use 14.5 Oz next. the book value is for dry forks I belie.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 12:51:39 PM »
No fork service since 2013; I'd have made that a priority within the first few weeks.
I reckon whatever oil was last put in there has lost most of its properties.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 12:51:39 PM »

Offline ampm7

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 02:01:28 PM »
I agree with the fact that 2013 is a long time to go. I don't know how many miles the previous owner put on the bike as it appears that he purchased it in 2013 as he had receipts starting at that time. Since he passed away there is no way of knowing. But I assume he was the second owner.  Either way, I will service the forks and I was thinking of 15# as I have some Bel Ray on hand. We have very rough roads here and a slight increase in the weight might be good. I am running 34lbs front and 36lbs rear.
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador, 1998 EV, Honda 1972 850 Ambassador, 2022 Indian Super Chief Limited

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 03:37:28 PM »
When I visit Hamlin we change fork oil.  I'm amazed how beat up it is in only two years.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here