Author Topic: Cluch Hub O rings?  (Read 929 times)

Offline Peter949

• PeterCaliII
  • Hatchling
  • 84 Cali II
Cluch Hub O rings?
« on: December 14, 2018, 02:46:35 PM »
I am replacing the clutch on my 1984 California II, and removed the old worn clutch hub. I am ready to install the new hub, and the kit from MG cycle contained 2 "O" rings that fit under the new clutch hub.

The smaller O ring clearly fits on the transmission input shaft. The larger but thinner O ring seems to fit in a tapered recess on the Clutch Hub. However the transmission 'parts diagram' shows an "oil-spreading washer"
for this thinner O ring.  My transmission shaft/clutch hub was missing both the

washer and thinner O ring!  :sad:

Where can I purchase or get one of these washers for this O ring. Harpers does not seem to have this washer available when I look at their on-line parts diagram. It is part #7 in the diagram.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 02:48:23 PM by Peter949 »
Peter

1984  Cali II
Aprilia 125 Sportcity Scooter

pete roper

Re: Cluch Hub O rings?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 02:54:09 PM »
The oil spreader washer or whatever they call it is inboard of the bearing and guides oil into the bearing by centrifugal force. The larger o-ring just slips down the shaft and acts as a crush seal in the countersink in the bottom of the clutch hub. Use a new lock washer and a drip of 243 on the peg nut threads and you're good to go.

Pete

Offline Peter949

• PeterCaliII
  • Hatchling
  • 84 Cali II
Re: Cluch Hub O rings?
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 04:47:36 PM »
Thanks Pete for the info on that "oil-spreading washer" which is actually inboard of the bearing. I will now certainly put it all back together with the 2 O-rings + 243 Loctite on the peg nut.  :thumb:

Hopefully I will soon be ready for another 140,000 kilometers ...
Peter

1984  Cali II
Aprilia 125 Sportcity Scooter

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here