Author Topic: One Year Ownership Report - '08 1200 Sport  (Read 16689 times)

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: One Year Ownership Report - '08 1200 Sport
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2014, 11:35:52 AM »
You should be able to set up the gear indicator by going through the various screen setting that are available. I can do it on mine. I've just never bothered. Check the manual.

My mistake. I checked the manual...page 65. The title is Gear Shift Indicator, but in the instructions it talks about shift threshold settings, meaning RPM settings. As I said, I never bothered to try it out.
Was that a programmable shift light?
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
Re: One Year Ownership Report - '08 1200 Sport
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2014, 01:16:39 PM »
Kev, as the saying goes, I can lead a horse to water..., 

I understand your reluctance to give to much credit to a tech, as it is only a machine after all.  Yet, I am telling you, I have seen him work on bikes that have been wrenched on by other highly respected Guzzi wrenches from around the country.  And have had on a couple occasions talked to the riders of those bikes after they took delivery, and in each case the rider was completely happy with what he got back.   What does that mean, I take it to mean he can and often does figure out aspects of operation that others miss, do I think he is a demigod, hell no, but he is a dam good tech.

2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: One Year Ownership Report - '08 1200 Sport
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2014, 01:20:40 PM »
Kev, as the saying goes, I can lead a horse to water...,  

I understand your reluctance to give to much credit to a tech, as it is only a machine after all.  Yet, I am telling you, I have seen him work on bikes that have been wrenched on by other highly respected Guzzi wrenches from around the country.  And have had on a couple occasions talked to the riders of those bikes after they took delivery, and in each case the rider was completely happy with what he got back.   What does that mean, I take it to mean he can and often does figure out aspects of operation that others miss, do I think he is a demigod, hell no, but he is a dam good tech.
That has nothing to do with simple physics.

Used to be a tech could make significant differences in running with a few jets.

But these days it takes more.

Note maybe he IS messing with maps and that would explain it.

But I'm telling you it's not body his ability to perform basic maintenance.

And it's not just voodoo.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline sono

• New Egg
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2014, 01:47:02 PM »
All great advice here. For the map, definitely contact Molly here on the forum. His map is great. It still pops on decel, but seriously, what bike doesn't do that occasionally? It will change your bull train into the lead bull train.

You can go with the PCV + Autotune as well. I actually had it on my bike for about 6 months and it did work well with a decent map. It costs a butt load to Dyno and I didn't want to keep doing that if I wanted to switch maps. If you or anyone else wants the PCV modules, I'll sell them cheap.

What exhaust do you have? I ended up going with a full carbon fiber Mistral. It sounds awesome.

For the helmet locks, I went with really great bar end locks. They look great and easily detach with a barrel key on either end. Easy and works great.

All of these can be found online or call Moto International. I'm lucky that they are close to me in Seattle - Dave and Micha are great and will help you out for sure.
2007 Griso 1100
2000 Honda CB-1
1988 Honda Hawk NT650GT

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2014, 01:47:02 PM »

Offline Blueboarhound

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2014, 03:53:54 PM »
After 1 year and 5,400 enjoyable miles ridden, I’m thrilled with the bike and the wildguzzi forum members!  Thanks for passing along so much interesting and valuable information. Her's to warm weather!!!

Happy to hear you've enjoyed your first year of ownership!  :)

Now we need to get you out with us on one of the Central PA. Guzzi rides.  8)
1993 Ducati 900SS
1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000
1996 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Offline Mal Wright

• New Egg
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2014, 03:58:59 PM »
Its good to read about other 1200 Sport riders appreciating its qualities. I too have a special fondness for this model. I think this bike in particular strikes that harmony of old school tech and good functional design. And I don't mind how it looks with the bikini fairing, a modern version of the original Len Mans if you like. I am 6' 4" and there is a bit of a reach to the bars which is perfect for me. I think this bike suits taller riders in its standard configuration.

And just to back up what Pete was saying about the map from Mark (Beetle), I have applied the map to my 1200 Sport and it has completely solved the pop on decel. Even just under 3000 rpm, my bike will burble rather than pop, and sounds fantastic. If you haven't looked into applying this map then you should.
Guzzi 1200 Sport, Yamaha MT09, Husqvarna TR650

Vasco DG

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2014, 04:05:36 PM »
On Tuesday I'm towing a 1200 Sport 8V off to Wagga so Mark can develop a log-built map for it. Only problem is I've just rollerised it so the map he builds won't be any good for the flat tappet models. Hopefully though I'll have an opportunity to fix that in the next couple of weeks too! :D

While I'm no fan of the looks of the 1200 Sport it is a magnificent mile-muncher in both 4 and 8V forms. I have one customer who is rapidly closing in on 200,000km on his!

Pete

PS. For the 2V Sport 12 Molly, Tony and Mark have all put in a heap of work. I know Tony has an openish pipe on his so my guess is what he's running will work with most aftermarket cans sans dBk. Most of Mark's maps are produced for bikes trying to be reasonably quiet fitted with a killer.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 04:16:15 PM by Vasco DG »

Offline Mal Wright

• New Egg
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2014, 04:18:16 PM »
All great advice here. For the map, definitely contact Molly here on the forum. His map is great. It still pops on decel, but seriously, what bike doesn't do that occasionally? It will change your bull train into the lead bull train.

You can go with the PCV + Autotune as well. I actually had it on my bike for about 6 months and it did work well with a decent map. It costs a butt load to Dyno and I didn't want to keep doing that if I wanted to switch maps. If you or anyone else wants the PCV modules, I'll sell them cheap.

sono, my bike doesn't pop on decel. You should check in with Molly and get him to review Petes comments about cutting the fuel at low throttle settings. I believe this solves the problem completely.

Also I am running the PCV and autotune and use it to fine tune the fueling in Marks map. Looking at the way Marks map works I am probably undoing his magic a little where the fueling is leaned out at cruise speed / throttle settings. I will need to learn how to apply what information I get from the auto-tune and apply that to the map. That way, once setup then the PCV/autotune could be removed or disabled. Personally I wont be removing it in case I do other changes in future.

I am a bit surprised by your comments on the cost of a dyno tune. One of the neat things about the PCV/autotune is that you dont need to dyno the bike to setup the fueling for modifications to the bike. The autotune will get you pretty close. Which should save you money in the long run.
Guzzi 1200 Sport, Yamaha MT09, Husqvarna TR650

Online willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2014, 12:17:57 AM »
What's the difference between the 1200 Sport fuel injection which is not cold-blooded as compared to the V7 Special which is cold-blooded? Are there advantages to the cold-blooded fuel injection system used on the V7?
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Vasco DG

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2014, 01:19:10 AM »
What's the difference between the 1200 Sport fuel injection which is not cold-blooded as compared to the V7 Special which is cold-blooded? Are there advantages to the cold-blooded fuel injection system used on the V7?

There are no advantages. It's just that one is done slightly better than the other but in the overall scheme of things they are both fairly drac.

There are a host of good reasons why we have emissions regulations, the problem is that because they are applied in a 'Blanket' way with a bias towards 'Mainstream' vehicles making oddballs meet the same standards is sometimes not only difficult but also downright silly! Throw in the fact that stuff like mapping will be done as cheaply as possible with a view to getting the engine to meet the regulations and perform *Acceptably* rather than optimally means that you end up with a real pig's breakfast that may in many ways be both less enjoyable and less efficient but does tick all the right boxes.

Once again we get to the perceived wisdom that all 'Modern Bikes' are mapped up really lean 'To meet emissions', this is unfortunately crap. The base maps are all rich. Why? Because the manufacturers know that the first thing most owners will do is fling an aftermarket, (Freer Breathing  ::)) pipe on it which will in most ranges lean the fueling out. In the closed loop area this doesn't make a lot of difference becaus the narrow band O2 sensor input will crudely trim the fuel back, as long as it isn't too far outside accepted parameters. In the open loop area though it HAS to be richer otherwise you'll end up holing a piston or some such so the maps are rich. What other excuse can there be for a more modern motor with an exceptionally good combustion chamber design getting such lousy fuel economy coupled with less than scintillating performance?

Unfortunately this idea that all the maps are lean has got traction and most, if not all, of the aftermarket tuning options work on the principle that the first thing you do is turn the lambda input off, (Good, of you are planing for optimum performance and fuel economy.) but then throw more fuel at the engine, (Bad! The un-corrected map is already rich, in some places VERY rich!) so you end up with an extremely rich condition. How many people who are running aftermarket mapping systems or add ons say there bikes are really smooth and feel great but drink fuel?

More in a bit, beer beckons!

Pete

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2014, 08:57:38 AM »
Pete, thanks for that explaination. My '08 Norge is completely stock. When I pull the spark plugs they are quite black.
My fuel economy is pretty much what others get 45 to 48mpg on the road and about 40mpg around town.

Vasco DG

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2014, 10:11:55 AM »
When I get a moment I'll expand a bit further but please be patient, I have to drive to Wagga in the 'Serial Killer Van' with a 1200 Sport in the back today. The pre-Christmas road insanity and crashfest is in full swing and part of the trip is on the Hume Highway, the busiest arterial route in Oz which will be nose-to-tail morons who only usually drive twenty kilometers from home but twice a year rush lemming like to visit distant relatives. They'll be tired, texting, drunk, exhausted and just plain incompetent! Let the joy be unconfined! I'll return to this subject when I've recovered and the twitching stops........... :D

Pete

Offline sono

• New Egg
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2015, 01:04:39 PM »
sono, my bike doesn't pop on decel. You should check in with Molly and get him to review Petes comments about cutting the fuel at low throttle settings. I believe this solves the problem completely.

Also I am running the PCV and autotune and use it to fine tune the fueling in Marks map. Looking at the way Marks map works I am probably undoing his magic a little where the fueling is leaned out at cruise speed / throttle settings. I will need to learn how to apply what information I get from the auto-tune and apply that to the map. That way, once setup then the PCV/autotune could be removed or disabled. Personally I wont be removing it in case I do other changes in future.

I am a bit surprised by your comments on the cost of a dyno tune. One of the neat things about the PCV/autotune is that you dont need to dyno the bike to setup the fueling for modifications to the bike. The autotune will get you pretty close. Which should save you money in the long run.

When I say that my bike pops on decal, I want to clarify that this is not a common occurrence. It really only happens when I accelerate quickly and come off the throttle...

I removed the PCV/Autotune because it is suggested that you dyno the bike when first installed, then adjust with the autotune. I never felt like the shop, or I got it right. I was always running so rich and my fuel economy was always right around 30-32mpg. I didn't want to have to dyno it again to get it closer to start over... Molly's map is terrific compared to what I was running on the PCV/A.
2007 Griso 1100
2000 Honda CB-1
1988 Honda Hawk NT650GT

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2015, 01:47:49 PM »
I know there are many VERY satisfied customers of Jim Barron at Rose Farms.  So I know my experience was not typical from what I have heard. I took my Centauro over to him since it was only hitting on one cylinder.  This was the Centauro I bought for $2,000.  One day short of a year I got it back.  It ran good, but still did not like to idle very well.  I also owned Chucks Centauro so I know it can be made to idle very well. Chuck used a Power Commander, which Jim said was not necessary.  On the ride home from Woodstock IL, after a stop at Dave Swanson's in Rockford, the bike ran great, except at low idle.  Also found out the low fuel light didn't work, not Jim's fault or problem. I bought a Power Commander from Leafman on here, installed it and had it dynoed, and it now runs well at low RPM and runs well too.  Chucks Centauro is still the best tuned bike I have ever ridden. After the ordeal with my Centy, I have no done further business with Jim. I did get the feeling that I would have had better service if I had bought the bike from Jim. I got the impression that Jim didn't really want to work on the bike, or my business.   I am not inferring that Jim is not a tremendous tech on BMW and Guzzi's, I know he is.  I have heard of too many great results from his touching problem bikes to doubt his skill. I am merely saying that I had a less than great experience with him.  I am not stating that I will never do business again with him, nor am I saying I will, merely stating my experience thus far. Merely Caveat Emptor.
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here