General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

Sessantacinque GT rehab (V65 GT), frame crabbing, gear box, transmission

<< < (3/10) > >>

Pescatore:
Almost a year has gone by with slow progress.
I had the bottom frame rails, the swing arm and the kick stand parts blasted and powder coated.

I could not get anyone to blast the paint on the assembled engine, not even soda blasted.
So I decided to strip the paint the hard way, with Rust- Oleum Aircraft Remover.
I covered up all the holes, swing bearing, shaft drive, etc.  Masking tape works well and does not break down with the paint stripper.
Gorilla tape is more robust, so I switched to that later on.

The spray can worked great, when it worked.  It makes the stripper foam up and does a great job between the fins.
However, after a while it doesn't spray a nice stream, it starts spitting.  Anyway, I also got the can and started painting it all over the engine.

Final drive too.

I go around in circles, as I treat one area, I cover it with a plastic bag while I scrape another area.

The transmission box is all clean now.
I found a lot of stains under the paint, even where the paint looked fine.  I tried blasting one area with baking soda, but it doesn't remove the stains.

A bit more work on the fins.  They might not come completely clean.

After all the paint is off, I am going to soda blast it with a small gun.  It works well to remove stubborn paint deposits.
I was thinking of protecting the engine with a cleat coat, but with all these stains I will probably have to use paint.

Chuck in Indiana:
Everybody will look and say, "Looks good." Unless you've *done it,* those hours of labor go unnoticed.  :smiley:
Looks good.  :cool: :grin:

Pescatore:
Thanks, Chuck.  And now that I've done it, I would not attempt it ever again.

Pescatore:
All the paint is off, except for some surface residue deep inside the fins.  The blasting does not reach well between the fins.
It's not noticeable and I ran out of stripper, so that's as far as I will go.
Paint stripping with chemicals was really nasty, it might have taken a few years off my life. 
The soda blasting gun worked really well, provided I waited for the compressor to recharge.  It needs at least 10scfm to keep
a decent pace.  I got 5@90, blast 45 seconds, wait 2 minutes.

The stains are really ugly, but I have decided not to paint it just because it's easier to keep the bare metal clean.
I tried using a wire wheel to get them off.  I went though 5 wheels, and it's a slow process again.
Vapor blasting is interesting.  I realized that many posters here leave it bare after doing that.  I think glass peening imparts
some protection to the metal because it doesn't pit like sand does.
It sounds scary, but I just want to "erase" some of the visible stains.  I would not blast the top end.  If I ever need to replace the
gaskets, I will take both heads off and have them vapor blasted.

So I have been searching for people willing to vapor blast the engine assembled.  Most shops around here (MA) have small blast
cabinets and can't fit the whole engine.  I found a company in CT, but too expensive.

I already got the gun, so I'll give dry glass bead blasting a try.  It won't give the same finish as the wet slurry, but I could buff it later... maybe?

Antietam Classic Cycle:
Home-brewed vapor blasting set-up. Check out the rig "scudman" shows in this thread (1st page, about 1/3 the way down).
https://advrider.com/f/threads/scudman-gets-another-guzzi-project.1456684/

I think this may have been the kit he bought: https://www.amazon.com/Angela-Alex-Sandblasting-Sandblaster-Attachment/dp/B0856QHK8H

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version