Author Topic: Craigslist scammers  (Read 1155 times)

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
Craigslist scammers
« on: September 23, 2021, 11:38:03 AM »
So I listed my 21 Zero sr on cedar rapids craigslist and right after the ad popped up I received 4 text right off the bat, it is posted with phone calls only, no text or email, I give the scammers credit, they are relentless.LOL  If anyone here is interested it's on cedar rapids ia craigslist, or just want to talk about it pm me and we will talk the pro's and con's about bikes in general  :boozing:  :bike-037:
Bruce
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
Re: Craigslist scammers
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 11:44:52 AM »
So I listed my 21 Zero sr on cedar rapids craigslist and right after the ad popped up I received 4 text right off the bat, it is posted with phone calls only, no text or email, I give the scammers credit, they are relentless.LOL  If anyone here is interested it's on cedar rapids ia craigslist, or just want to talk about it pm me and we will talk the pro's and con's about bikes in general  :boozing:  :bike-037:
Bruce

Terrible!  Yes, craigslist has really become really bad as of late...

So the question is:  "What does the forum think is the best and most reliable place to sell a motorcycle these days?" :rolleyes: :shocked:

cragslist? - Cycle Trader? -   eBay? -   BaT? -   The Guzzi classifieds?  - A For Sale sign in your driveway? - An ad on the grocery store billboard? - Facebook? - Other?
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 12:47:21 PM »
I have great success on both mediums.    Even if I'm asking $1 to avoid having to drag it to the dump and pay.

You have a delete button to deal with pranks.
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 12:57:09 PM »
Terrible!  Yes, craigslist has really become really bad as of late...

So the question is:  "What does the forum think is the best and most reliable place to sell a motorcycle these days?" :rolleyes: :shocked:

cragslist? - Cycle Trader? -   eBay? -   BaT? -   The Guzzi classifieds?  - A For Sale sign in your driveway? - An ad on the grocery store billboard? - Facebook? - Other?

My friend Joe has been "thinning his herd" considerably lately and sells almost exclusively on Cycle Trader.
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 12:57:09 PM »

Offline dirtiegirtie

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 01:18:53 PM »
I think I've bought 10, and sold 8 motorcycles in the last 7 years, so 18 buy/sell transactions. 17 Of those 18 were through craigslist. The odd-ball was one that I bought through cycletraderonline.c om

I have never put my phone number in the ad, only email.

Yes, you always get scammers wanting to pay more than the bike is listed ("you keep the extra!") or "I will buy it! But only if you send me a clean history report from this website, XXXXXX.com" which happens to cost $30.

Yes, you always get multiple people responding with, "I give $3,000?" when it's listed at $5k.

But if you just ignore those then I've had pretty easy transactions.

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 01:22:28 PM »
I've been selling locally on craigslist for years and can tell the scammers from the real inquiries and yes I delete all the text, I figured if they can't read the ad then I don't need to sell them anything anyway,  I had a pretty little thing a couple of years ago that keep texting when she went back to the ad and reread it and finally called, I told her that I saw the text but deleted them because I only deal with calls like the ad said, she bought the car and boy was she a looker :boozing:
Bruce
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 03:20:00 PM »
If you clearly state your sales terms on c/l like "include your phone number or I willl delete" and don't offer your phone number to play text games up front, you can eliminate 99% of the junk replies before they even happen.   I've had more met sellers that were liars, bums and thieves on FB MP than anywhere else, almost to the point I don't go there anymore.   Seems sellers on FB are far more likely to waste my time than any seller on c/l.  Never sold anything on FB.  I only use c/l.

The past 18 months was a very good time for getting things I wanted and needed via both of these venues.  The quantity of good stuff (that I want) has diminished greatly in the past few months.  I think it has more to do with supply amd increase demand than anything else.   There are only so many (for example) desirable old bikes and machines left out there. The ones that are will probably cost more now. 

real deals and great finds do still happen, but they're gone in minutes.  So unless you're on there all the time, you'll never see them.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline leroysch

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 07:42:04 PM »
I feel your pain. Have a bike on ebay, auction style, now and the first inquiry I got was "How much do you want for it?" While I'm tempted to smart ass a response back, it's probably smarter not to feed the morons.

'88 FLST
'95 Ducati 916
'04 V11 LeMans
'06 FLHX
'09 Buell 1125R
'17 BMW R Nine T
'19 H2 SX SE+
'22 Pan America

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2021, 04:19:08 PM »
There have been scammers as long as there have been buyers and sellers. Doesn't matter whether it's Facebook, Craigslist, Cycle/Car Trader or an auction.

But I've done literally hundreds of transactions on these sites including a few vehicles and I've found the vast majority of people I've done business with to be honest. The more you do business on these sites, the easier it is to sort out the riff raff from the serious, honest folks. Though I still get occasionally get surprised by good folks who are just lousy communicators.

IMHO the biggest and most successful scammers are the credit card providers who encourage their customers to make minimum payments every month. Now THAT's a con!

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2021, 01:08:46 PM »
When I've advertised on CL or CycleTrader, I get folks either trying to do a check scam or offer "selling services". The one service said my vehicle was to low and they could get a higher price. I said, great! You buy it and then you can make that extra $2000-3000! Of course they only wanted their $250 upsale fee.

Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, eBay all started out with good intent. But the scammers are plentiful and resourceful. Except for eBay, I usually just look at stuff I will pick up personally. I have not shipped anything from MarketPlace. But I have gone to website that I found via Marketplace and ordered from there if they are secure.

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2021, 10:43:42 PM »
Yes this exactly. Just state your terms and ignore any replies that don't follow them. I ask for a text ONLY with name and year/model included. That said it's sad how we humans degrade almost everything we touch eventually. I started using CL when it was SF only back in the day. So many good buys, and dates, I could write a book ;-) I still use it, just a bit more effort to weed out the detritus.

If you clearly state your sales terms on c/l like "include your phone number or I willl delete" and don't offer your phone number to play text games up front, you can eliminate 99% of the junk replies before they even happen.   I've had more met sellers that were liars, bums and thieves on FB MP than anywhere else, almost to the point I don't go there anymore.   Seems sellers on FB are far more likely to waste my time than any seller on c/l.  Never sold anything on FB.  I only use c/l.

The past 18 months was a very good time for getting things I wanted and needed via both of these venues.  The quantity of good stuff (that I want) has diminished greatly in the past few months.  I think it has more to do with supply amd increase demand than anything else.   There are only so many (for example) desirable old bikes and machines left out there. The ones that are will probably cost more now. 

real deals and great finds do still happen, but they're gone in minutes.  So unless you're on there all the time, you'll never see them.

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2021, 08:23:24 AM »
Yes what they said and including meet up at the local Po Po station doesn’t hurt.

So how much for your Zero? Pics? Details?
inditx
p.s. trading with Enzo @ Cadre Cycle is good business and selling on here of course  :thumb:
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2021, 09:53:29 AM »
Hi indixt , I didn't put it up here for sell because most of the folks on this site pretty much are not going to spend that kind of money on something they can't ride across the state or country at the drop of a hat, I put all the info on the first post just in case someone here was interested they can PM me, Cadre's is about 8 hours from me one way, so if the zero sells on cl, great, if not that's ok to.I'm never in a hurry to sell plus I'm really digging on the convert  :boozing:
Bruce
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2021, 11:44:23 AM »
When I sell on Craigslist I don’t provide phone # or email address. They respond through Craigslist and when I have vetted them I escalate to phone conversation.

Sometimes I will play with the scammers to waste their time if I am bored.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here