Author Topic: First ride with my daughter on her own bike  (Read 1705 times)

Online cappisj1

• Gosling
First ride with my daughter on her own bike
« on: April 10, 2021, 11:14:24 AM »
My daughter is a lot like me when I was young I guess. She showed up last weekend with a Suzuki 600 something or other that she bought. No motorcycle license, not registered, no insurance. Rode it home from her college about 2.5 hours with her boyfriend leading the way.

She saved the money for it. We were still upset with the above legal parts but, strangely proud of her practicing in a parking lot then riding it here.

So now it’s insured and road legal. Her and I went for a ride at dusk for about an hour. She does pretty good. I do have mixed feelings still. Proud she wants to ride on her own but she is still my kid and I want her safe.

Online sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
Re: First ride with my daughter on her own bike
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 11:35:47 AM »
Just a suggestion, have her take the MSF course, as soon as possible. But her the best safety gear, boots, gloves etc that you can.

My daughter is a lot like me when I was young I guess. She showed up last weekend with a Suzuki 600 something or other that she bought. No motorcycle license, not registered, no insurance. Rode it home from her college about 2.5 hours with her boyfriend leading the way.

She saved the money for it. We were still upset with the above legal parts but, strangely proud of her practicing in a parking lot then riding it here.

So now it’s insured and road legal. Her and I went for a ride at dusk for about an hour. She does pretty good. I do have mixed feelings still. Proud she wants to ride on her own but she is still my kid and I want her safe.
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Online cappisj1

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 12:12:02 PM »
All the classes in Illinois are full tell August. I am going through the book with her now. Already signed me and both kids for a class too.

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 12:24:03 PM »
Proficient Motorcycling by Hough is excellent.I lent it to a friend who was getting back to riding and he told me one of the chapters saved his life.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 12:24:03 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 12:25:18 PM »
 Pretty normal feelings for a parent . If she is determined to do this she will , just teach her the best you know how .

Dusty

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 03:11:17 PM »

Did she get her licence ?

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 04:45:02 PM »
A nice story regardless.
A bit like that  one where the guy and his daughter rebuilt the V50 together.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 04:45:41 PM »
Motorcyclist magazine used to have Riding tips in every issue.  That may help her if she reads that and there are rider's tips on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snrieajibjE.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sne0aUZ208. PRACTICE!!!
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline FL1

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 08:57:50 PM »
I do think it is cool but, I think I would feel the same way. I concur with MSF and books, I like the Keith Code stuff, its track focused but it is fundamental bike riding and helped me a lot after I had been riding for many years.

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 10:06:47 PM »
I’m in the same boat.  My daughter wants to keep learning on my/her v50.  She’s been around the block a few times and does fine. I love teaching her but am apprehensive about her actually riding on public streets.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Arctic Fox

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 05:00:58 AM »
My father is not motorcyclist (my uncle opposite is) but I still went to buy one  :evil:. For sure my mom did not like that (hers responses). My father was more ''silent''. Of course I do not really know what he though/felt about it. Yes, I think he is worry about me.

But as he put me riding this kind of ... at age of 10 or something ... what can you expect? And since teenager age I become familiar with bigger/more modern farm machines of ours.

Riding license system (for motorcycles) is pretty complicated here (to express that shortly & nicely). Keeping that it minds (and our short riding season), it is even someway surprise how much we have motorcycles.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 05:04:58 AM by Arctic Fox »

Offline geoff in almonte

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2021, 06:38:41 AM »
All the classes in Illinois are full tell August. I am going through the book with her now. Already signed me and both kids for a class too.

If you cant get into a motorcycle specific class, a defensive driving course or two will help.  And you might even get a discount on the insurance.

G
Midnight bugs taste best

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 08:25:32 AM »

Great article from the July 2005 edition of Motorcycle Consumer News:
ROAD RASH DECISION
by Flash Gordon, M.D.

Here’s a letter from Patricia Wilson, a motorcyclist who wants us to benefit from her experience:

I have a suggestion for a future article that addresses bike safety. The subject is what bikers casually call “road rash,” but which, in fact, is no different from second or third degree burns.

I went down on July 4th, 1999 wearing nearly nothing (very hot day that day and I wasn’t going that far, uh-huh). I thanked God (and still do) that I have no memory of what happened between the time the front wheel started to go mushy and when I woke up on the pavement. I remember thinking how lucky I was to have this happen this close to University of Michigan’s trauma-burn unit. I also remember thinking how lucky I was that I didn’t lose any skin on my back or butt: It gave me a way to lay without lying on wounds. I had visions of one of those wheel beds.

I don’t remember them doing it, but I had a tube inserted in my chest wall to re-inflate the lung that was punctured by a broken rib. It seems strange, but I never had the feeling that I was mortally injured – just injured very badly. When they moved me out of emergency, it was into a trauma-burns unit at University of Michigan Hospital in Ann Arbor. Lucky me; they know how to treat burns. Now I do, too, and I think that knowledge should be shared so people have a better understanding of what they are risking when they ride unprotected.

The broken shoulder took about a month to heal. The burns took nearly two years. You get to expand your vocabulary in interesting ways: Eschar, Silvidine, Kerlix, debride, and finally, Jobst. You learn that morphine is great, except for when they come in to ‘dress’ your burns. You learn that the turnover is fairly high among nurses in trauma-burns because they can’t handle the screams. You discover that the friendly cotton washcloth is really woven out of barb-wire. You learn that this daily process is going to go on not for days or weeks but for months.

I think the worst thing about the daily dressings (gives a whole new meaning to the daily grind) was the anticipation – knowing that the agony you were going through was going to happen again tomorrow and the next day and the next… Indeed, it goes on until all of the wounds have completely closed.

Closed, but not healed; for now, you graduate to the Jobst garments, which you learn are worn to help minimize (not eliminate) scarring. Depending on where the wounds are, this can be at least uncomfortable. Remember how hot it was the day I went down? Imagine being wrapped in latex fabric in that kind of weather, twenty-four/seven.

Well, in the end, it works. My scars are visible, but not horrific like burn scars used to be, and I did not require skin grafts. It wasn’t until five years later that I rode again, but that was mental, not physical. I purchased the bike, the helmet, and the summer-weight armored jacket in that order. Speaking of helmets, I examined mine when I got home from the hospital. Had I not been wearing it when I went down, I would have lost a good part of my face to the road.

Patricia makes a good point: Abrasions and burns are similar in the way they damage the skin. A fall at 25 mph results in damage to unprotected skin like that produced by a frying pan containing very hot oil. A faster fall, naturally, produces more damage.

Protective gear makes all the difference. A good set of leathers is probably the best protection available, especially when racing. The problem with them is that riding to work wearing leathers and then changing is time consuming, and more that a little inconvenient. Leathers aren’t the best things in an all-day rainstorm, either. That’s why many motorcyclists who spend lots of time in the saddle – touring and commuting riders, for example – often wear fabric suits like those from Aerostitch and Motoport. They’ve got the advantage of either being inherently waterproof (Aerostitch) or have available zip-in liners (Motoport). And the big advantage of these types of suits is that they fit over your everyday clothing.

For folks who want to ride in jeans and a denim jacket, Bohn Body Armor has armored underclothing that fits beneath your outerwear or long-sleeved t-shirt. Though it’s less protection than full leathers, it’s enough to save your skin.
In hot weather, perforated and mesh jackets, like those from Vanson and Joe Rocket among others provide substantially more protection than a t-shirt, and are almost as cool.

In the event you do get “road rash,” there are some circumstances where going to the ER is especially important. Abrasions over joints, for example, can easily spread infection into the joint itself. And an infected joint may stop working permanently after only a day or so of an infection. Abrasions over bony points (knuckles, ankles, etc.) carry the danger of a bone infection (osteomyelitis). Road rash on the face may lead to permanent scarring, or if there’s any dirt in the wound, to permanent tattooing.

Abrasions on the hands (especially the thick, specialized skin on the palm side) should be treated at an ER. Improper care can lead to contractures and loss of use. That’s why I always wear good gloves. I find that deerskin, like that from Thurlow and Lee Parks Design is tougher than leather and more comfortable.

I hope this information helps. I’m going to close with some more words from Patricia Wilson:

I hope you consider writing about this. I think it was David Hough who said, “When you go down, you will be wearing what you decided to wear when you got on.” Please help people make the right decision.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 08:29:42 AM by SIR REAL ED »
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Siamese

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2021, 08:47:20 AM »
Now, a word from the nay sayer, the Downer Dave, Gloomy Gus.

Hopefully, she'll get into a good safety course and/or independent study, realize how dangerous motorcycles are, and sell the darned thing. 

I started road riding in 1970 in west Michigan.  I still live in the same area, and still ride.  All the same roads I rode as a kid, but they're MUCH busier now, and much of the population has lost it's ability to stay in their own damn lane.

On the one hand, there's no way I would encourage anyone to get into road riding.  On the other hand, man, I love motorcycles. 

Best of luck to you and your daughter.     

Offline bsanorton

• New Egg
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2021, 10:17:53 AM »
Fake news if we don't see a picture of a proud Poppa and daughter with their bikes smiling from ear to ear
75' Norton Commando
76' GT 750 water buffalo
95' Buell S2
00' Buell X1 red strip
00' Buell X1 millennium
02' Buell M2
01' V11 Sport Rosso Mandello
05' FLHTK

Offline Arctic Fox

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2021, 10:20:19 AM »
Has she bought good protectors/riding stuff? Those took more money than I expected (as I started from zero).

Offline injundave

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2021, 12:43:15 AM »
I am the man who rebuilt the V50 together with my daughter. Whilst I understand all the hesitancy and the urge to protect I want to add my thoughts to the matter.

Teach her properly, or have her taught properly.
Make sure that she understands how the motorcycle works and handles and why.
Make sure that she always wears all the gear, all the time and make sure it is the best gear she or you can afford.
Teach her that all other road users are homicidal maniacs who want to kill her and teach her how to ride defensively.
Teach her to check her tyre pressures at least once per week and preferably more often.

Stand back, let her go and have confidence in her ability.

This is mine on our recent 1200 kilometre ride around the East Cape of the North Island of New Zealand. I had the pleasure of seeing her get into the groove and almost float through 50km (30 miles) of twisty road. She loved it and so did I. Great fun and she rides much better than I did after two years of riding!
1975 850 T3
1980 V50 (Now belongs to my daughter)
2019 V85TT

Offline Dimitri_Harkov

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2021, 06:56:22 AM »
Great story  :thumb:
I hope I can do similar stuff with my daughter when she is old enough.

Cheers,
D.
2020 V7 III Stone Night Pack

elvisboy77

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2021, 08:01:33 AM »
My "middle" daughter bought a 500 Honda 4 years ago, she is now 26, we have been on a lot of great trips together.

Now my youngest is wanting to ride!

Enjoy your time with your kid.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2021, 05:35:59 PM »
Great story  :thumb:
I hope I can do similar stuff with my daughter when she is old enough.

Cheers,
D.

Your daughter will be a lot safer learning and picking up skill where you're at vs. the USA.   :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2021, 09:40:35 PM »
I am the man who rebuilt the V50 together with my daughter. Whilst I understand all the hesitancy and the urge to protect I want to add my thoughts to the matter.

Teach her properly, or have her taught properly.
Make sure that she understands how the motorcycle works and handles and why.
Make sure that she always wears all the gear, all the time and make sure it is the best gear she or you can afford.
Teach her that all other road users are homicidal maniacs who want to kill her and teach her how to ride defensively.
Teach her to check her tyre pressures at least once per week and preferably more often.

Stand back, let her go and have confidence in her ability.

This is mine on our recent 1200 kilometre ride around the East Cape of the North Island of New Zealand. I had the pleasure of seeing her get into the groove and almost float through 50km (30 miles) of twisty road. She loved it and so did I. Great fun and she rides much better than I did after two years of riding!

She’s definitely your daughter Injundave.  I know that “ok take my picture and get it over with (but I still love you)” look. I’m riding the v50 I built for my daughter and sort of hoping she doesn’t carry through with road riding it. 
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Online Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2021, 06:50:18 AM »
one of the worst moments of my life was hearing the lockup of brakes and the sound of a sliding motorcycle behind me (30 foot skid mark on road). I saw the road sign that said turn at the last minute and she was following too close (constant warnings on that one and she took MSF course). Other than a destroyed Givi screen and a broken turn signal the Blast was still fine. Daughter didn't really start to hurt until that night at the Illinois Rally but didn't let me know until days later (former figure skaters are tough). Nothing broken just bruises. Still looking forward to our first ride this year.
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2021, 08:57:20 AM »
I like her “gutsy” personality!
I’m inclined to agree with supervised training and it does not have to be a riding course. Maybe just ride behind Dad as much as possible to learn how to set up curves and recognize hazards that can get a rider hurt. The MOST IMPORTANT one thing to drill in a new riders head is to keep the speed down and obey every traffic law to the max!
She’ll be fine as it’s obvious she’s got a good start and Dads backing and supervision 👍

Offline Dimitri_Harkov

• Hatchling
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2021, 12:20:11 PM »
Advise her to watch 'DanDan the Fireman's channels:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwUKSNru2Yt3qwHcyfKuzOQ
https://www.youtube.com/user/Stubbs928

Fun/shocking to watch, much to learn from them.
Of course: A proper course would still be much better.

Cheers,
D.
2020 V7 III Stone Night Pack

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2021, 05:57:38 PM »
After being on the back of the bike until she was around 17 years old, it made me a bit sad that I have yet to see her ride her first bike.  She lives in The Netherlands, and has bought one of those scooters limited to 25km/hr so they can ride on the cycleways.  She was late 40's when she bought it, so it took a while. :grin:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline vintagehoarder

• Cycle Hoarders
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Ride to Eat, Eat To Ride
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2021, 09:23:25 AM »
Mine grew up on the back of my Bike, and when she graduated with her doctorate from College I goit her a Honda CB500F, and riding with her as a grown up is the best!!  Congratulations and enjoy every minute.

Cyclehoarders Garage
2021 Honda CT125 Trail Cub
2018 Triumph Tiger 800
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring 1400
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Speical
2009 Vepsa GTS 250 ie
1987 Suzuki Samurai (4 Wheels)
1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850
1969 Yamaha YAS1C
La Grange, KY

Online cappisj1

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2021, 09:17:28 PM »
Thanks for all the tips. I think it’s been a good review for me too. She is doing great by the way. Making her do some parking lot drills is really paying off I think. We took a photo tonight after replacing her clutch cable.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here