General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

My Guzzi EV / DMC Sidecar Build

(1/3) > >>

bigbikerrick:

Hello Folks, I would like to show you my 98 EV DMC M72 sidecar build. I was lucky to be able to purchase the DMC sidecar brand new, with all mountings, just before Jay sold the business to Texas Sidecars. I got the tub as it comes out of the mold in gell coat. DMC builds a very nice quality sidecar and frame. I chose the Brembo brake option for the sidecar wheel.The fiberglass is all hand layed, not chopper gun stuff, and they build a very sturdy rig, many of which are used off road, without issues. It took alot of bodywork to smooth out the tub for paint. DMC sells them already nicely carpeted on the inside, with a very comfy seat, and ,with a nice sized trunk. I also purchased the accessory tonneau cover from DMC.  It took me almost a year to get it all finished and roadworthy.
The EV make a great "TUG" with lots of torque and powerful brakes.
Rick.

bigbikerrick:

A Hagon adjustable shock is standard for the sidecar suspension. The frame is sturdy square tubing, very nicely welded,and reinforced at stress points. For the two lower mounts ,I used stainless steel "Eye" bolts made by our own Lee Bruns, out of a solid piece of stainless billett. That makes mounting to a Tonti frame much easier, as they bolt straight into the frame.
Rick

bigbikerrick:

I built a step plate out of exhaust tubing that was mandrel bent, to make getting in and out of the sidecar easier.

Showa adjustable air shocks from a Harley FLH were installed on the bike, and provide good adjustability to fine tune the ride as needed. Much improved over the stock Guzzi shocks! :thumb:

bigbikerrick:

I chose the HD type fender, as well as a real spoked wheel, also "HD Style" to match the wheels on the bike as much as possible.

bigbikerrick:

I added a Brooklands windshield. The seat back flips forwards to access the trunk. Harley FLH turn signals were added to the tub.

I had the paint custom mixed to match the two tone on the EV, including the thin silver pin stripe between the two colors. Everything was sealed with 6 good coats of urethane clear. I actually painted this in my front yard, as I dont have a paint booth.
Rick.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version