Author Topic: Why sometimes your dealer does not want to diagnose your problem over the phone.  (Read 18852 times)

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
Something as simple as tires.  If I'm going to have my local shop (non Guzzi) install them, I make sure I buy the rubber from THEM.  Buying stale tires off the internet to save $10 isn't going to keep them in business. 
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline skippy

• Gaggle Mentor
I am not so proud to admit that there was once a time in my life to where I was piss poor and thus could not even imagine having the opportunity to ask for assistance with my motorcycle because I was so piss poor I couldn't even imagine owning a motorcycle. Don't let this distract you from a common impairment previous to the piss poor known as "no pot to piss in". This is the infliction dealt to the extreme of destitute souls and only those whom are destined  to ride Honda CR's and assorted Harley Davidson's from the AMF era. It is an affliction that can be overcome with constant supervision and a copious does of descent living wage.      
23 V100 Mandello
20 V85TT

Offline Robert

• Gosling
Were there clues, like marks on the bolts and dirt/clean spots, ease of dissy, etc. that indicated the thing had been apart recently?

One of my self-entertainments is de-coding what the previous owner did or touched.  Looking at all the 'clues', postulating a theory, checking out the results...

I will try to put things back just like I found them if they were right.

Retirement is a different world.

Offline Loftness

• Gaggle Mentor
It just boggles my mind.  No one would ever call their car dealer/shop and just ask questions about how to fix their cars...so why do they do this to motorcycle dealers??

...somewhat answering my own question but many motorcycle dealers, I feel, are less departmentalized (i.e. you're more likely to get a mechanically-inclined person on the phone at one than you would when you call a car dealer).
Fletch

2013 V7 Stone
1984 V65sp
1986 Vespa T5
1974 BMW R90/6

Wildguzzi.com

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
Were there clues, like marks on the bolts and dirt/clean spots, ease of dissy, etc. that indicated the thing had been apart recently?

One of my self-entertainments is de-coding what the previous owner did or touched.  Looking at all the 'clues', postulating a theory, checking out the results...

My brother and I like to play a similar game when we drive cross country  -  diagnose lighting issues in the tail, turn and headlight issues we see.

I know what you mean - it's kind of like a CSI - Engine...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 09:36:11 PM by normzone »
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Lee Bruns

• Gaggle Hero
It just boggles my mind.  No one would ever call their car dealer/shop and just ask questions about how to fix their cars...so why do they do this to motorcycle dealers??

...somewhat answering my own question but many motorcycle dealers, I feel, are less departmentalized (i.e. you're more likely to get a mechanically-inclined person on the phone at one than you would when you call a car dealer).

They do it to the car guys also. After a while they quit and come work at the machine shop. They seem happier being machinists and honestly the pay is better.

Offline cwiseman

• Gaggle Mentor
    • C&D Motorsports
I used to be a service manager at a GM dealership. Had a customer come in to get their car ready for a 1,000 mile one way trip. It was a old older car, not well cared for, beat all to hell. We looked it over and gave a very large estimate for repairs and they couldn't afford it, sourced everything aftermarket as possible, cut prices to a minimum on parts and labor to help them all we could far beyond what any normal shop would have. Still told them it wouldn't be the best choice for the trip due to it's condition! They chose to have done what they could afford. Stated on the final repair bill that it was only safe to be driven at speeds less than 55mph for no more than 100 miles.
They made it 4 hours away at interstate speed in Nashvile TN when the front wheel fell off.
Got the call and we paid for the tow bill, a new wheel bearing and labor and sent them $200.00 for food and lodging until family from Daytona could come pick them up. Small town here, we took care of the community and customers when possible. We got called to court, they requested a total paint job on the car with all new parts anywhere possible, new tires and extra cash for the hassle. Stated we had left their lug nuts loose.
The judge looked at my copy of their signed bill, heard both sides and ruled in our favor. Then he told them he had never heard of a business caring so much and going out of their way to help someone out and couldn't believe they would burn a bride like that.
That showed me why I always covered my ass and just how stupid people could be. After a couple of years they tried to come back as a service customer. I never once allowed it, even turned down a alignment from a body shop we dealt with daily when I saw their plates on a different car.
Moto Guzzi Robinson/C & D Motorsports
618-544-RIDE
Moto Guzzi dealer in South Eastern Illinois
Personal rides 2007 Calvin, 72 Eldo, V7 Classic, 75 RD350, GasGas Pampera 250 + a few others
2-stroke street bike enthusiast

Offline frans belgium

• Gaggle Hero
Cheapo customers.  I'm self employed for the longest part of my life, so don't get me started ~;
Funny thing is, they think they act 'normal' or at least behave the way everybody with common sense should
And it surely ain't the ones without money that are the worst  ;D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 02:39:01 AM by frans belgium »
Owned and sold: V65, Nevada, 2xCali, Breva 1100, Norge 8V, Breva 1100 with Squire sidecar
Currently own: V85 TT

Offline Waterbottle

• Gaggle Mentor
I used to be a service manager at a GM dealership. Had a customer come in to get their car ready for a 1,000 mile one way trip. It was a old older car, not well cared for, beat all to hell. We looked it over and gave a very large estimate for repairs and they couldn't afford it, sourced everything aftermarket as possible, cut prices to a minimum on parts and labor to help them all we could far beyond what any normal shop would have. Still told them it wouldn't be the best choice for the trip due to it's condition! They chose to have done what they could afford. Stated on the final repair bill that it was only safe to be driven at speeds less than 55mph for no more than 100 miles.
They made it 4 hours away at interstate speed in Nashvile TN when the front wheel fell off.
Got the call and we paid for the tow bill, a new wheel bearing and labor and sent them $200.00 for food and lodging until family from Daytona could come pick them up. Small town here, we took care of the community and customers when possible. We got called to court, they requested a total paint job on the car with all new parts anywhere possible, new tires and extra cash for the hassle. Stated we had left their lug nuts loose.
The judge looked at my copy of their signed bill, heard both sides and ruled in our favor. Then he told them he had never heard of a business caring so much and going out of their way to help someone out and couldn't believe they would burn a bride like that.
That showed me why I always covered my ass and just how stupid people could be. After a couple of years they tried to come back as a service customer. I never once allowed it, even turned down a alignment from a body shop we dealt with daily when I saw their plates on a different car.

Good one ! Have had similar experiences. Some people....... you just can't help  ???
2015 Griso SE Rosso
2012 Stelvio 8V
2009 Griso R  Track only
76 GT 750 Suzuki
If you Ride a Griso, You need Tyres with Gription

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
That sounds like me :o :bow ;D
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Offline Curtis Harper

• Gaggle Hero
    • Harpers Moto Guzzi
I think there was a thread a few months back about how dealers PREFFERED to talk to people on the phone.  **C

Wayne, I still do prefer phone calls as so much more information can be passed along in a much shorter time. But, as is with all things, there are some limitations. The most annoying, (and every mechanic here will agree) is that someone asks for advice and will not listen long enough to hear it.

More Moto Guzzi parts than anywhere.
www.harpermoto.com
1-816-697-3411
curtis@harpermotocom

dilligaf

Or as soon as you answer the question they challenge your answer and repeat the same question asking if it could be something else.  ::(  :BEER:
Matt
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 02:10:04 PM by dilligaf »

Vasco DG

Yes, because your first answer probably involved them puting their hand in their pocket and pulling their bloody wallet out! Also, if they get you to give more than one answer when they f*ck up they can say "It's all your fault my shitty old worn out T3 is broken so now you have to buy me a brand new Griso to make up for your *Mistake*!" because they did what you said and now it's more broken! ~; :BEER:

Pete

Offline Curtis Harper

• Gaggle Hero
    • Harpers Moto Guzzi
I always make sure to dry off before going to the plumbing store.
www.harpermoto.com
1-816-697-3411
curtis@harpermotocom

Online bacongrease

• Gosling
   Auto shops too.....Wife's nephew owned an import auto repair shop.  She visits family, I go sit in the shop and drink their coffee and listen to customers... :winer
Folks all the time come in or call in to grill mechanics or anyone on how to fix the car.  Mechanics are trying to wrench, but spend time with those guys who I would tell ....Later, I gotta get this car out.
  A couple of times some guy was working on his car and sent in his wife to ask them how to fix it.    :winer

BTW...half the Mercedes owners didn't care if they kept the car for a month, they had other rides.   Mucho $$$$$$.
  The car was the only ride for the other half,   single women who had to go the the bank for a loan to bail out the car.   Of course; German=$$$$$$$.

Skinflints... :beat_horse

Penderic

Shop classes in school should have weeded out the more dangerous owner-mechanics.  ;)

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
I always enjoy getting this guy ;)
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Bill Hagan

Shop classes in school should have weeded out the more dangerous owner-mechanics.  ;)

Yeah.

I flunked woodworking shop in the 7th grade when the final was to make a shadow box.  Mine sucked so bad my parents thought I deserved the F.   ::)

Unfortunately, couldn't get into the automotive class in high school -- perhaps the teachers shared notes -- so I blame that on my lack of mechanical skills.   ;D

Poor Wayne and some others have paid the price.   ;)

Bill

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
And today there is no shop class.  Have to go to a technical 'college' for that stuff now.

We're lucky.  Being in a hobby business means we just get a bunch of old guys who just want to talk to someone for a while, especially if it is my wife.  :D  :D  Every now and then she'll tell them, 'I can talk to you or I can get your order ready.'
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
And today there is no shop class.  Have to go to a technical 'college' for that stuff now.

Not universally true.

My eldest daughter's high school has four major tracts for students. One of which is technical school based.

Any of the students in the school can take courses in woodworking, metal shop, welding, auto shop, farming tech etc.

They have some nicely equipped shops in that wing of the high school.

Over the four years the students concentrating on that tract slowly start to switch over to the local tech school, and eventually attend that full time.

But my daughter, in a more academic tract, is considering an intro to tech elective that would teach her welding, wood shop and a few other useful skills.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

redrider

And those poor souls called service writers. What starts as a simple question and a general, non-committal reply some how becomes god's law when it come time for either a return call with estimate or bill payment time. Having been in the industry on both sides all my life, in the owner's mind a bike is not the same as the family sedan. It's just a motorcycle, right?

Offcamber1

Or how about those cheap S.O.B.s that buy crap parts from the internet and then ask you to have your trained techs put them on at internal pricing?

(oh wait, that was me.  Sorry!) :BEER:

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
Or how about those cheap S.O.B.s that buy crap parts from the internet and then ask you to have your trained techs put them on at internal pricing?

(oh wait, that was me.  Sorry!) :BEER:

Kinda like taking a steak to a restaurant and have them cook it for you!   ;-T
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Kinda like taking a steak to a restaurant and have them cook it for you!   ;-T
Maybe even like taking ground chuck to Ruth's Chris and asking them to cook it for you...;D
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Curtis Harper

• Gaggle Hero
    • Harpers Moto Guzzi
I have not only had people want to bring me ebay parts, but when they find out they bought the wrong stuff, want me to take it in exchange. And who was the smartguy who decided the dealer should tell you if the ebay part will fit your bike in the first place? "May fit other models, check you local dealer for fitment" Really?

My morning rant. Now returning to regularly scheduled coffee.
www.harpermoto.com
1-816-697-3411
curtis@harpermotocom

Offline frans belgium

• Gaggle Hero
Kinda like taking a steak to a restaurant and have them cook it for you!   ;-T
Well, that was almost exactly what I recently said on another board during a similar discussion (actually I said, bring dough to the bakery to have your bread baked).
A lot of members replied: so, what's wrong with that, as long as you pay for the baking?

Hence my remark that most of the "perpetrators" don't understand what the heck is the dealer's problem  ;)
Owned and sold: V65, Nevada, 2xCali, Breva 1100, Norge 8V, Breva 1100 with Squire sidecar
Currently own: V85 TT

Offline JoeB

• Gaggle Mentor
I flunked woodworking shop in the 7th grade when the final was to make a shadow box.    

LOL, will be showing my age, but I wonder if they would still let you make a gunstock?
Many years ago when I was new to Guzzi Harpers gave me excellent advice over the phone, on a Friday evening when I suspect it was very close to clock out time. Remember that, thanks.
It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
Bill, had a similar experience; except my woodshop teacher threw a chisel at me and told me to stay away..and never get near anything sharp. I did mention this incident to the instructor at bayonet practice at Basic training - who bluntly told me my time with the bayonet would be short. 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here