Author Topic: Battery powered lawn mowers  (Read 4808 times)

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Battery powered lawn mowers
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2019, 10:37:01 AM »
I here ya my friend. Mowed a lot of neighbors grass as a kid and it was easy money if you stayed ahead of it. Paid for gas and parts on the mini bikes. They probably don't ride those anymore either.  How about gettin a goat?

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2019, 10:43:52 AM »
How long has it been since you've tried to hire a kid with a mower , pretty thin on the ground here . The teenager next door thinks a lawn mower handle will give him cooties  :rolleyes:

Dusty

Vary true!!!  I started when I was 13. I didnt have my own mowers, so "rented" from my step dad. He got half the money...  but he maintaned, and bought gas... so it was good. I started with one huge lawn.. took a few days normaly with trimming. ..  After that a local contractor paid me to keep the lawns up on houses he was waiting to sell..  I have 10+ houses at some times.. it was good money.
Paul B

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2019, 10:45:13 AM »
Only experienced the Roybi 18 volt jobbies and the upshot is don't no power really small catcher and it would take a couple of charges even with their large batts to do what I considered a modest area of cooch grass which I don't consider hard going fortunately wasn't mine didn't pay for it. Having said that I've had positive experience with a 36volt huskie chain saw so I'm sure there are things that work your budget might be a bit modest though.

Although on the other hand have you considered going off the deep end? https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/offers/automower-crown-commitment/
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 10:50:04 AM by Murray »

oldbike54

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2019, 11:01:05 AM »
Only experienced the Roybi 18 volt jobbies and the upshot is don't no power really small catcher and it would take a couple of charges even with their large batts to do what I considered a modest area of cooch grass which I don't consider hard going fortunately wasn't mine didn't pay for it. Having said that I've had positive experience with a 36volt huskie chain saw so I'm sure there are things that work your budget might be a bit modest though.

Although on the other hand have you considered going off the deep end? https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/offers/automower-crown-commitment/

:laugh: Problem is I'd have to go back to work to pay for that Husky  :shocked:

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2019, 11:01:05 AM »

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2019, 11:54:25 AM »
Local kid will cut the lawn with no edging for $40 bucks and it takes him all of about a half hour not including the amount of times he has broken the sprinkler heads.  Multiplied times 12 or more for the season and I’ve bought the lawnmower and saved on replacing sprinklers.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2019, 12:11:31 PM »
Look at the 18v Ryobi~bought ours on line. We have lot of the other One+ tools and many spare batteries. Seems to work great for the kind of mowing you describe!!

oldbike54

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2019, 12:18:59 PM »
 Thanks Joe .

Dusty

Offline Charles in Lake Charles

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2019, 12:32:27 PM »
I just got my July issue of Consumers Report. The two highest rated battery push mowers were (#1)Ego LM2101 and (#2)LM2002 for $400 each .
TOYS:
98 Yellow Centauro, 93 SPIII, 1978 LeMans,
1977 Convert, 1975 850-T (FOR SALE),
1985 Harley FLTC, 1985 K100RT
2001 Lees-ure Lite Camper,
1988 Mercedes 560SL

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2019, 01:56:39 PM »
I didn't plant any lawn at the house I built 15 years ago and still live in.  Bad news for me is I have to downsize in retirement.  The last 8 years have been bad for the type of Constuction I'm in.

The fixer-upper I end up getting will have the lawn torn out early on.

It's a California water cost and my time savings which matters to me.
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline Italianmotofest

• New Egg
    • Mid-Atlantic Italian Motorcycle Festival
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2019, 04:53:56 PM »
The Kobalt or the Greenworks ?

Dusty

Kobalt

Bill
Bill

Some might say that you are just too much.
Those are not your people!

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2019, 06:14:35 PM »
Our rental is a small lot, maybe 1/3 acre so I'm thinking that 56V Ego will be sufficient. BUT, the 'merican in me says Go Big or Go Home! So I also considered the Redback 120V which is supposed to be for larger yards. But it's only rated at 2 amp/hr (maybe 3 depending on retailer). So I think the edge still goes to Ego. But, you know Bigger Is Better!!!  :boozing:

-AJ

I often cut the grass for a friend. She got an Ego mower at Home Depot. 56V 7 amp/hour. A replacement battery is well over 1/2 the total cost.

The lot is large enough that it takes close to two hours of actual cutting, with that mower, and it is thick Bermuda grass, so you need to go a bit slow. It usually takes three full charges to do the yard. Lots of beer breaks in hot weather, which is nice. A recharge takes over an hour, so it often doesn't get done in one day. Sort of OK, I'm not in a rush, but annoying at times. I do like the mower, self propelled, fairly quiet, no worries about getting fuel. Just hit the button.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 09:05:43 PM by AJ Huff »
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2019, 07:12:16 PM »
My neighbor has burned out a number of electric mowers.  Home Depot EGO is his mower of choice..... and that's forgoing his Lowes employed son-in-law's discount. He returned two or three Lowes mowers.
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2019, 08:13:18 PM »
I also have the Ego 56v battery mower that I like quite a lot, my lawn is also a 15 minuted job.  Had a Black and Decker corded mower that worked great but if the wife needs to cut the grass while I'm out on a trip is was difficult for her to push the mower around and she didn't like the cord.  I got the self propelled version of the ego with the 7.5AH battery......{time passes} Ok I'm back as I thought of something I'd been meaning to try for awhile.  My lawn needed mowing and since I also have the Ego string trimmer with 2.5AH battery I decided to see if the mower would use the 2.5 and if it would last the 15 minutes to mow the lawn.  Results are in and yes the mower can use the 2.5AH battery and it cut the entire lawn no problem, I pulled the battery out of the mower, put it in the string trimmer and used it to trim the lawn as well.  At the end the battery indicator still showed green meaning it had at least 15% battery left.  I like the Ego stuff and the string trimmer is very easy to reload with string.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2019, 08:25:21 PM »
No more contestants please,    We have a winner!  :thumb:

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

oldbike54

« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2019, 08:49:50 PM »
 Thanks Tom  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2019, 09:45:37 PM »
Reading this has confirmed, I am still the next generation away.

Also I didn't know that Popular Science/Mechanics was still in print.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 09:47:23 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2019, 01:19:26 PM »
My lawn guys called this morning and said they were getting out of the business. "Ferb, I know what we're going to do today!" Drove straight to Home Depot and bought the Ego 56V self propelled. Battery is charging now. We'll see how this thing does by this evening.  :grin:

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2019, 03:09:49 PM »
I took the plunge this year and bought the full Ryobi 40V line

Mower(came with a 5AH battery and charger)
Blower(came with a 3AH battery and charger)
Chainsaw (came with a 4AH battery and charger)
bought a Reman Weedwacker head off Amazon for $80.00 - no battery or charger.

The reason was that years ago I had a gas weedwacker with all the interchangeable heads - called 'expand-it', several brands had bought in to the concept. Fast forward several years. The gas head is dead and the line is now only supported by one brand, Ryobi. With the weedwacker I have
-weedwacker
-7ft pruning chainsaw
-rototiller
-edger
AFter deciding I was going to go this route, I did some homework and realized that I could basically buy a 5AH battery and get a mower for 100.00 extra...

The mower was 279.00 and has a neat feature in that it senses load and increases output accordingly. Basically if you're humming (literally, SUPER quiet) and hit fido's well fertilized deep green patch, it automatically increases speed. Been using it on two yards for 2 months now and it does a super job. It's not an $800 lawn Boy, you won't see that same fine cut. But it mows the lawn, and with my charger set up, I'm never without a charge. nice feature is that it carries a spare battery right next to the live battery, so as it drains, you just switch 'em, don't even have to walk to the garage. Depending on height, the 5AH can just about knock out a full .25 acre lot
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2019, 03:36:32 PM »
Wish my lawn was smaller :sad: Mowing is kick'in my ass this year with all the rain, but it's sure purdy when it's all cut. My green bean crop is lookin' good!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2019, 05:34:08 PM »
Neighbors downwind from me got upset when I used the weed burner.  :evil:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero

oldbike54

« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2019, 09:38:10 PM »
 Thanks Tom .

Dusty

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here