Author Topic: Which bike  (Read 1655 times)

Offline johnwesley

• Gosling
Which bike
« on: April 20, 2022, 07:35:49 AM »
Looking at some vastly different bikes and would like some input.

I’m looking for a bike for touring on, that has some character, all Guzzi’s. I do annual treks to Sturgis, Daytona and generally a big Rockie Mtn ride and several shorter weekend rides in between. This would be a bike that I would like to do some of those trips on. Range is important to me, but the ev I’m looking at has some tank mods for range. I have a couple of bikes in the carport consisting of a klr and a chopper I built. I just sold he fxrt replica bike I built from an 05 dyna and looking for its replacement.

The bikes are as follows:

2003 cal ev: was looking at a 2001 but missed my window on that one  :violent1: had to sell a bike first and the guy backed out and it took two weeks for another to show up with money in hand. So now I found the 03 with all PI work done with 50,000 mile and one owner.

SpIII that is 25,000 mile with unknown history but clean. I road one when I was 20, but that was 27 years ago and don’t really remember what it was like.

Then the odd ball quota which I really like but it’s horrible milage reports and funk FI scare me off. If it wasn’t for that I would be on my way to pic it up.

Thanks for input especially if you’ve owned the bikes in question. Really the ev is a known commodity for me the others would be a roll of the dice.
2009 cal-vin
2003 cal ev
1985 lemans 1000

Online spmoto

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Which bike
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 07:48:05 AM »
The SPIII is a great bike for SOLO touring. It is very uncomfortable for 2-up touring. It handles great, has the best 2 valve motor Guzzi made, gets great mileage and has decent weather protection thought the fairing generates a lot of noise. I routinely got over 200 miles and as much as 275 miles from a tank of gas.

Offline johnwesley

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 09:04:44 AM »
The SPIII is a great bike for SOLO touring. It is very uncomfortable for 2-up touring. It handles great, has the best 2 valve motor Guzzi made, gets great mileage and has decent weather protection thought the fairing generates a lot of noise. I routinely got over 200 miles and as much as 275 miles from a tank of gas.
thanks for the input everyone seems to like that motor. when you say generates a lot of noise is that wind noise or reflected engine noise?
 I plan to go check it out on Friday, it's been for sale for a while. I do have a fuel cell I use to increase range.

If you truly want an "adventure" style bike and it has to be a Guzzi get a Stelvio or the V85TT. If you are open to other brands I choose just about any other Adventure bike before the Quota. While the Quota is neat and the motor/trans are good the rest of the bike parts are like rocking horse poop. Also there is very little aftermarket stuff for it so unless you are a fabricator or the bike fits you as is don't you'll be out of luck trying to make it yours. I liked a lot of stuff about my Quota and it was what taught me that Adventure bikes were for me. Unfortunately I also really disliked some other stuff about it namely wind noise, EXTREAME buffeting the likes I've never experienced before and erratic fuel economy. What I liked best was signing the title over to the buyer as I was not sure Id find one. Guzzi's are the fringe of motorcycling Quotas and Converts are on the fringe of Guzzi.

I've had several adv bikes including a tiger, klr, gs, and a super tenere. I'm decent at fab work but by no means a pro. I've built a few fun bikes over the years.  I am specifically looking for a Guzzi, but if the Quota is that bad I'll just pass.
2009 cal-vin
2003 cal ev
1985 lemans 1000

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022, 10:31:33 AM »
For years, the best value in big blocks has been a well kept, used Breva 1100.  They're out there for $3-5,000 with bags and windshields, ready to ride.  Big tank with a great range, comfortable ergos, good two-up and they're reliable.  The bikes you listed all sound like projects.  Projects are fun but riding is more fun(for me anyway).  Just my .02

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022, 10:31:33 AM »

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2022, 10:45:53 AM »
Ron Good in PA has over 100k miles on his SPIII, much of it two-up with his wife Judy. IIRC, he also has a second one with nearly the same miles on it.
Charlie

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2022, 01:54:38 PM »
Looking at the ergonomics of the two bikes, I'm thinking you should just get both and then sell the one that doesn't gel with you for the long term.   :evil:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2022, 02:15:27 PM »
If you wear size 15 cow pasture pumps like I do you won't like the SP. I like a big side stand so I can park on everything but quick sand. Mileage is only a number so 50K isn't much as I know at least 30 riders with over 100K on Guzzis.
I second the idea of getting both and selling the one you don't like.

Good luck,
Tex

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2022, 02:37:42 PM »
If you wear size 15 cow pasture pumps like I do you won't like the SP. I like a big side stand so I can park on everything but quick sand. Mileage is only a number so 50K isn't much as I know at least 30 riders with over 100K on Guzzis.
I second the idea of getting both and selling the one you don't like.

Good luck,
Tex
you forgot to mention that your personal miles equals all 30 of those riders added together. :smiley:
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline johnwesley

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2022, 07:59:37 PM »
Lots of good advice here especially buy both, if only money would allow  :grin:

The ergonomics are definitely an issue. To many years and miles criss crossing the country on rockets  has my knees aching with to much bend. Young and dumb, my Kees would hurt and get balls under them but I would stop till I needed fuel so now days a more open riding cockpit is needed. Dad’s bike is a 97 cal and it’s got a great set up for me, very comfortable. He has highway pegs but I never use them. I’m checking out the SP Friday to see how the ergonomics fit me. May not be able to ride it. I know it has a taller screen and. It down seat on it but he has the stock items as well. The EV is mo project for sure meticulous one owner bike that looks better than new with several upgrades I would end up doing anyway. I’m leaning toward the ev but want to keep an open mind on the SP.
2009 cal-vin
2003 cal ev
1985 lemans 1000

Offline spaghetti

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2022, 08:18:07 PM »
Here is some personal experience with California's and a Quota.

My first Goose was a 1996 Cali 1100i, man what a comfortable bike that was with it's Ned's seat on it. I had a 2000 BMW R1100RT concurrently with it and, oh probably Sturgis of 2003 I rode it 850 miles to the Sturgis Rally instead of the RT. I parked out front of the Sturgis BMW dealer and one of the salesmen walked by and kinda snickered at it. I said "What so funny?" He said it was kind of an odd looking bike. I responded by saying "Don't laugh too hard, I have a 3 year old RT at home and I rode my 7 year old California because it is more comfortable." He just kind of curled up and walked away.

The fuel injection was a little snatchy and not brilliant on the 1996 but I have no doubt it is still out there somewhere still running today. The mistake I made in 2005 was letting Jim at Ned's allow me to take a 2004 hydro motored EV11 for a test drive. The fueling on that bike was light years ahead of the 1996. I was hooked and bought one and got to live through the lifter and single plate clutch problems. Before I bought the EV I noticed the Quota sitting on the sales floor for half the price of the EV but I went ahead and bought the EV. My best friend bought the Quota with big aluminum panniers. (Man those bags could haul a whole lot of groceries)

I kept the EV for a couple years. Between the time of the 1100i and the EV they shrunk the passenger seat down in size on the EV (my girlfriend barely fit and it increased my reach to the bars and would give me lower backaches on longer rides.) The EV had a fantastic engine though.

Meanwhile my buddy kept the Quota for 8 years before he finally sold it to me then I ended up keeping 8 years myself. I was just musing to myself the other day, that is the longest I have ever owned any motorcycle, probably the longest of any motor vehicle.

I have heard about complaunts of bad turbulence on Quotas but with the tallest Gustafsson windshield and plastic side deflectors it had a quieter pocket than my Stelvio has.

Don't let any Naysayers talk you out of a Quota. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED that bike! When you'd start it it would make a mechanical cacophony and shake, rattle and roll like an old Willy's Jeep but like an old Willys it was mechanically simple and dead-a$$  reliable chuffing along.

Would the Quota be the bike I would look to take 1000 miles to the Rockies? No, but that is not really the tool for 1000 miles of super-slab. I would however love to ride one through the paved curves of the Rockies.

If someone told me I could only have one bike for the rest of my life, the Quota would be way up there around the top of that list trying to decide on which one to pick. The California's.... not so much, but they are great anti-Harleys.

Spaghetti

2009 Victory Vision
2015 Moto Guzzi Stelvio

2015 Blue Stelvio

Offline johnwesley

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2022, 09:25:40 PM »
Here is some personal experience with California's and a Quota.

My first Goose was a 1996 Cali 1100i, man what a comfortable bike that was with it's Ned's seat on it. I had a 2000 BMW R1100RT concurrently with it and, oh probably Sturgis of 2003 I rode it 850 miles to the Sturgis Rally instead of the RT. I parked out front of the Sturgis BMW dealer and one of the salesmen walked by and kinda snickered at it. I said "What so funny?" He said it was kind of an odd looking bike. I responded by saying "Don't laugh too hard, I have a 3 year old RT at home and I rode my 7 year old California because it is more comfortable." He just kind of curled up and walked away.

The fuel injection was a little snatchy and not brilliant on the 1996 but I have no doubt it is still out there somewhere still running today. The mistake I made in 2005 was letting Jim at Ned's allow me to take a 2004 hydro motored EV11 for a test drive. The fueling on that bike was light years ahead of the 1996. I was hooked and bought one and got to live through the lifter and single plate clutch problems. Before I bought the EV I noticed the Quota sitting on the sales floor for half the price of the EV but I went ahead and bought the EV. My best friend bought the Quota with big aluminum panniers. (Man those bags could haul a whole lot of groceries)

I kept the EV for a couple years. Between the time of the 1100i and the EV they shrunk the passenger seat down in size on the EV (my girlfriend barely fit and it increased my reach to the bars and would give me lower backaches on longer rides.) The EV had a fantastic engine though.

Meanwhile my buddy kept the Quota for 8 years before he finally sold it to me then I ended up keeping 8 years myself. I was just musing to myself the other day, that is the longest I have ever owned any motorcycle, probably the longest of any motor vehicle.

I have heard about complaunts of bad turbulence on Quotas but with the tallest Gustafsson windshield and plastic side deflectors it had a quieter pocket than my Stelvio has.

Don't let any Naysayers talk you out of a Quota. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED that bike! When you'd start it it would make a mechanical cacophony and shake, rattle and roll like an old Willy's Jeep but like an old Willys it was mechanically simple and dead-a$$  reliable chuffing along.

Would the Quota be the bike I would look to take 1000 miles to the Rockies? No, but that is not really the tool for 1000 miles of super-slab. I would however love to ride one through the paved curves of the Rockies.

If someone told me I could only have one bike for the rest of my life, the Quota would be way up there around the top of that list trying to decide on which one to pick. The California's.... not so much, but they are great anti-Harleys.

Spaghetti

2009 Victory Vision
2015 Moto Guzzi Stelvio

Thanks for the feed back and counter point. That Quota I’m looking at is nice if not priced a little high. The man is wanting a more dirt oriented bike. I once heard of a quota that was modified to dual throttle bodies and seemed to work a treat.
2009 cal-vin
2003 cal ev
1985 lemans 1000

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2022, 05:50:08 AM »
Quota mileage: Randy Tefft the NH Moto Guzzi rep and I are enjoying coffee here at the Oleo Ranch when he said I only have 500 miles to go and the Quota will turn 100K. I said "lets go". So we took off riding the backroads of East Texas until his bike had all 9's back at my place.

I don't remember how many trips he made on the Quota from NH to the Italy, Texas rally.

Enjoy,
Tex

Offline johnwesley

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2022, 07:15:18 AM »
Guess size does matter, I’m 5’10 32” inseam with a size 10.5 foot 220lbs.  So fairly normal sized. I’ll see the spIII Friday and the ev on Monday. The quota is in Sherman, Tx. May hit that later next week, unless I just have to have one of the others.

Had a bmwR75/6 and run it all over the country. That was a neat bike and was amazing what it could do for an old 750. This should scratch that itch a bit too.
2009 cal-vin
2003 cal ev
1985 lemans 1000

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2022, 09:28:27 PM »
Not rocket science. It's a bike. Get the one that trips your trigger & don't look back.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline johnwesley

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2022, 07:18:39 AM »
Not rocket science. It's a bike. Get the one that trips your trigger & don't look back.

Nope, not buying rockets but what may “trip my trigger“ on impulse may become my nightmare. Wouldn’t be the first time I had my trigger tripped and shot myself in the foot. Due diligence isn’t a bad thing, or is a multitude of counselors.
2009 cal-vin
2003 cal ev
1985 lemans 1000

Offline johnwesley

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2022, 02:00:14 PM »
SpIII is out. Riding position isn’t bad, but the bike was in need of TLC. The price was for one in good nick. No projects needed. A few warning points he only had it a few months, the prior owner only had it a year. So something seemed to be amiss. The present owner had a large collection of guzzi bikes but this one had to go. His favorite in the fleet was a hydro ev, which is my next one to look at. We’ll see how it goes. My gut says I’ll probably bring that one home.
2009 cal-vin
2003 cal ev
1985 lemans 1000

Offline spaghetti

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2022, 07:38:40 PM »
So here are some more in depth thoughts about my experiences with my 2004 EV I purchased new in '05.

Beautiful bike. Beautiful mellow sound.

Like I said earlier they shrank the passenger accommodations on that bike, so if you are going to take a passenger on any of your trips MAKE SURE they go on a test ride with you before you buy it. She may want to kill you a few miles into the ride. Of course passengers weren't thrilled about the Quota seat either.

The engines and fuel injection on those bikes were wonderful. It has a beautiful mellow sound from the pipes. The stock fairing and windshield had horrible dirty air spilling over the top and felt like it was going to tug my hair loose on a helmetless ride. The tallest Gustafsson made it just tolerable.

Funny thing about the Italians, they must have short legs and ape long arms according to the riding position on this bike. The smaller passenger seat lets them put a longer driver's seat on this bike which can exacerbate the long reach to the handlebars for a 5' 8" guy. Of course there are always barbacks, but this bike put me in a rather extreme Harley slouch, which can be tolerated if your pelvis is held in a good position...... But it didn't. Hold it in a good position that is and it would really stretch the muscles in my lower back to the point of misery on a long ride. Make sure you acclimate yourself to an EV before launching cross country.

A good set of Metzlers on the EV will make it feel better in curves than a Harley does on Dunlops. At least back in the day that was true.

Once the cam and single plate clutch recall had been done, and I assume they all have been by now, it was a pretty sweet ride.

It did leave me along side the road more than once. This bike liked to push the rubber fuel hose off the fuel pump outlet inside the tank because they did not put any barbs on the pump outlet and according to Mike Haven at MPH the Midwest's "corngas" was prone to swelling the rubber hose and that allowed it to come off the outlet via inside pressure pushing on it. Not a big deal if it happens. Pull to the side of the road take the tank off and put the hose back onto the pump. I remember carrying a 7mm wrench for just such occasions. I don't remember it ever happening with a full tank of fuel. That surely would have made for a sloppy mess and somebody doubtless would have had a spot of dead grass in their ditch.  :grin:

If memory serves I bought an American corngas friendly hose from NAPA. I assume this fixed it, I only kept this bike for two years. Three years is probably average for me on bike ownership. Like I said before I kept the Quota for 8 years.

As for the Quota wonky fuel injection, yes the single throttle body is different. Never had ANY problems with it. I gave it one excellent synching and didn't look back. Fuel mileage with the Tour Tech aluminum cans was always 34mpg. Every. Single. Tank.It would go up if you took the bags off but I rarely did. Why would yah? There was more than once I went grocery shopping and once inside the store I forgot I didn't bring the car and bought too much. I always managed to carry everything I had accidentally overbought.

The Hepco Beckers on the EV were plenty roomy even though they were only made of blow molded plastic. Good solid locking latches. Plus there is a luggage rack.

So what am I saying here? If I had to choose an EV or Quota for an 800 mile trip to the Rockies? I would probably choose the EV for the Interstate riding and it would be excellent on the curvy mountain roads. Especially if you are already coming from the Harley cruiser world but, a Quota is like your favorite old blue jeans that you just don't know how you would ever get along without them. It is that that one tool at work that always seems to be in your hand for the job to be done. It is your favorite hound dog that is always there by your side. (Anybody here remember Old Yeller? Who cried when old Yeller got shot? Nobody cried when old Yeller got shot......right.)

Spaghetti

2015 Blue Stelvio

Offline johnwesley

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2022, 09:41:17 PM »
So here are some more in depth thoughts about my experiences with my 2004 EV I purchased new in '05.

Beautiful bike. Beautiful mellow sound.

Like I said earlier they shrank the passenger accommodations on that bike, so if you are going to take a passenger on any of your trips MAKE SURE they go on a test ride with you before you buy it. She may want to kill you a few miles into the ride. Of course passengers weren't thrilled about the Quota seat either.

The engines and fuel injection on those bikes were wonderful. It has a beautiful mellow sound from the pipes. The stock fairing and windshield had horrible dirty air spilling over the top and felt like it was going to tug my hair loose on a helmetless ride. The tallest Gustafsson made it just tolerable.

Funny thing about the Italians, they must have short legs and ape long arms according to the riding position on this bike. The smaller passenger seat lets them put a longer driver's seat on this bike which can exacerbate the long reach to the handlebars for a 5' 8" guy. Of course there are always barbacks, but this bike put me in a rather extreme Harley slouch, which can be tolerated if your pelvis is held in a good position...... But it didn't. Hold it in a good position that is and it would really stretch the muscles in my lower back to the point of misery on a long ride. Make sure you acclimate yourself to an EV before launching cross country.

A good set of Metzlers on the EV will make it feel better in curves than a Harley does on Dunlops. At least back in the day that was true.

Once the cam and single plate clutch recall had been done, and I assume they all have been by now, it was a pretty sweet ride.

It did leave me along side the road more than once. This bike liked to push the rubber fuel hose off the fuel pump outlet inside the tank because they did not put any barbs on the pump outlet and according to Mike Haven at MPH the Midwest's "corngas" was prone to swelling the rubber hose and that allowed it to come off the outlet via inside pressure pushing on it. Not a big deal if it happens. Pull to the side of the road take the tank off and put the hose back onto the pump. I remember carrying a 7mm wrench for just such occasions. I don't remember it ever happening with a full tank of fuel. That surely would have made for a sloppy mess and somebody doubtless would have had a spot of dead grass in their ditch.  :grin:

If memory serves I bought an American corngas friendly hose from NAPA. I assume this fixed it, I only kept this bike for two years. Three years is probably average for me on bike ownership. Like I said before I kept the Quota for 8 years.

As for the Quota wonky fuel injection, yes the single throttle body is different. Never had ANY problems with it. I gave it one excellent synching and didn't look back. Fuel mileage with the Tour Tech aluminum cans was always 34mpg. Every. Single. Tank.It would go up if you took the bags off but I rarely did. Why would yah? There was more than once I went grocery shopping and once inside the store I forgot I didn't bring the car and bought too much. I always managed to carry everything I had accidentally overbought.

The Hepco Beckers on the EV were plenty roomy even though they were only made of blow molded plastic. Good solid locking latches. Plus there is a luggage rack.

So what am I saying here? If I had to choose an EV or Quota for an 800 mile trip to the Rockies? I would probably choose the EV for the Interstate riding and it would be excellent on the curvy mountain roads. Especially if you are already coming from the Harley cruiser world but, a Quota is like your favorite old blue jeans that you just don't know how you would ever get along without them. It is that that one tool at work that always seems to be in your hand for the job to be done. It is your favorite hound dog that is always there by your side. (Anybody here remember Old Yeller? Who cried when old Yeller got shot? Nobody cried when old Yeller got shot......right.)

Spaghetti

I cried :cry:

Thanks for extra details. It’s odd how different people view bikes. This guy just sold his quota said it was a great bike that he really enjoyed, but it decided he would rather sale it and keep the ev. I seem to leave little needed details out. My wife rides her own bike, a Super Tenere.  So it will be a solo touring bike. I do have a klr for dirty work. Just got home from a ride on the wife’s bike in 40mph winds and it reminded of how harsh the wind can be on one with out the options of different shields and wings. I had a triumph 955 tiger that I never could get a non turbulent ride on it. Loved the bike but eventually sold it with 50,000 miles. Which reminds me the S10 has 50,000 on it, great bike.

This ev has color matched side bags and a top box. Every one that I’ve talked to that has owned this era cal complements the engine. We’ll see what it’s really like when I get there pics never tell the truth. This SPIII looked nice in the pics but neglected in person. I don’t expect that from this bike since the original owner still has the bike. Plus I have a second party that has verified the bike is as it’s told. 
2009 cal-vin
2003 cal ev
1985 lemans 1000

Offline johnwesley

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2022, 10:38:48 PM »
Thanks for all the advice and stories. I picked up the bike today 

2009 cal-vin
2003 cal ev
1985 lemans 1000

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2022, 11:46:26 PM »
good pick!
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2022, 05:49:33 AM »
very handsome bike.  enjoy.
Blue Guzz

Offline Furbo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2022, 08:51:04 AM »

Used an SPIII for 100K miles all over Europe. What he said above. Passenger seat tilts fwd. Not good. It's an old school guzzi, points, bias ply tires, you can do all work easily. Mine lost a coil in Grafenwohr Germany, went to a junk yard, pulled one off a VWbeetle and got home (Italy) just fine. Noise - that depends alot on the windshield. Alotta guys put a tall WS on it. Don't. As I recall I cut 2" off the stock one. Never had major noise issues. Comes with Givi cases - awesome. Have literally gone to war with less than you can get into them. Will cruise comfortable a 90mph all dang day.
Killeen, TX
'96 Sport 1100
'72 N. Falcone
'72 Eldo

Eccl 9:9,10

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2022, 09:14:17 AM »
Thanks for all the advice and stories. I picked up the bike today

:thumb:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline johnwesley

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2022, 02:24:14 PM »
I realized I never followed up with pics of the bike I bought. Got it from George the Iowa mgnoc rep. Great bike with an 8 gal tank. With in 5 days of picking it up I did a 2500 mile ride on, which I posted on WG as a ride report. It’s been fun tinkering and if you look through my post I have been on WG asking about different bikes since 2014. They were either bad deals you all have steered me away from or I was too late. So this has been a long wait to get THE bike. Seems I fell into this one with a chance meeting of Ace Malott in daytona. Thanks for the help over the years and hope to get out to some events. I have the Texas and Louisana campouts on my short list.

2009 cal-vin
2003 cal ev
1985 lemans 1000

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2022, 03:04:15 PM »
As solid as the rocks behind it…
Nice metaphor… :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline johnwesley

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2022, 03:20:16 PM »
As solid as the rocks behind it…
Nice metaphor… :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

You should be renamed “WG Prophet”. Solid word your building this house out of  :bow:
2009 cal-vin
2003 cal ev
1985 lemans 1000

Offline geoff in almonte

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2022, 06:58:54 AM »
+1 on what Spaghetti said wrt the 7mm wrench.  I also carried a little tiny Allen wrench so I could remove the gas cap when the plastic seal swelled.

Internal fuel pump means submersible fuel lines are a must.

MG sells both an all steel fuel cap and a submersible fuel line kit.

If the motor is sorted it's a treat to drive.

I bought Radguzzi's '04 and put many trouble free miles on it. 
The ITI speedo snit the bag years ago, but as near as I and the current owner can tell it's approaching the 400,000km mark.
It's still in active service.

Cheers!

G
Midnight bugs taste best

Offline johnwesley

• Gosling
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2022, 07:25:23 AM »
+1 on what Spaghetti said wrt the 7mm wrench.  I also carried a little tiny Allen wrench so I could remove the gas cap when the plastic seal swelled.

Internal fuel pump means submersible fuel lines are a must.

MG sells both an all steel fuel cap and a submersible fuel line kit.

If the motor is sorted it's a treat to drive.

I bought Radguzzi's '04 and put many trouble free miles on it. 
The ITI speedo snit the bag years ago, but as near as I and the current owner can tell it's approaching the 400,000km mark.
It's still in active service.

Cheers!

G

Thanks for the advice and encouragement for the long life of the motor. This one is an early 03 so fuel pump is behind the side cover. Rad Guzzi helped walk me through several bikes I was looking at and with his advice landed on this one.
2009 cal-vin
2003 cal ev
1985 lemans 1000

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2022, 07:49:45 AM »
You should be renamed “WG Prophet”. Solid word your building this house out of  :bow:
I’d go for WG profit…!

Offline johnwesley

• Gosling
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2022, 08:17:33 AM »
I’d go for WG profit…!

I wish there was a fist bump emoji cause that has a nice ring to it  :grin:

where's a mod when you need one....get this man a name change  :popcorn:   of course I'm just having fun  :thumb:
2009 cal-vin
2003 cal ev
1985 lemans 1000

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here