Author Topic: Loop frame police solo seat  (Read 1564 times)

Offline DodgeBoy

• New Egg
Loop frame police solo seat
« on: August 17, 2022, 09:07:55 AM »

Hi everyone! My name is Sebastian (32) and i am from Germany. A few month ago i bought a 72 Eldorado police. The bike has been owned by a german guy who worked in the US long years and when he went back overseas in 1997 he brought the Eldorado with him. Unfortunatelly he decided to convert it into an european California model back then. Police lights, saddlebags, siren, solo seat all gone!  :cheesy: You would not do stuff like that nowadays...

Anyway for now i am in the middle of bringing the machine back to its former look and i really want a solo seat on it. The black/white buddy seat is very comfy for long hauls but i dont like the look so much.

I know there allready were some discussions here about the Harper's and MG seat but they all seem to be at least 5 years old and maybe some things changed? I for myself like the look of the Harper seat and the CycleGarden seat as well but when i received a message regarding the price for the CycleGarden one i was like ...well...
I also red about that the Harper seat has/had some fitting issues with the front bracket not sitting centered and too long bolts in the back. Ist that still a thing?
Ist the price difference from $350 to over $600 even nearly worth it? I dont want to judge neither Harper's seat nor CGs (i like both looks) but due to overseas shipment and vat i will only try once and i hope you guys understand.

Any advice is very much appreciated!

Oh and i am 5 feet 11 inches, 176 lbs.

1972 Moto Guzzi 850 Eldorado Police

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
Re: Loop frame police solo seat
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 09:51:32 AM »
I have only had the Cycle Garden seat, so I cannot offer anything in the vein of comparison...  BUT! The Cycle Garden seat is a very high quality piece, it is super comfortable, and very well made. The price however is a bit silly (Over $800USD several years ago)

I had the Harper's Pillion pad behind my solo seat, and I will say it was very well made and quality as well. The bolts installed however are TOO LONG and need to be trimmed 3-5mm before you put a passenger on it, unless you like scratches on your fender!
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 12:24:56 PM »
I have the solo springer seat that MG cycle sells on my eldorado, and like it alot. I believe the seat is made in Europe, so you may save some $$ on shipping. I am not sure who makes it, but I have had it for over 4 years and its very comfortable, and looks good, IMHO.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 06:43:10 PM »

1973 Original paint, Civilian Eldorado. Purchased from original owner, with all documentation, and 22K original miles.
This is the seat i am referring to....Boing !, Boing!, Boing! Its comfy bouncing down the road ! :thumb:
Rick
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 06:45:56 PM by bigbikerrick »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 06:43:10 PM »

Offline DodgeBoy

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 12:42:59 PM »
Thanks for the input so far @Mayor and Rick!

I dont know if i want a springer but i just figured out that Rick was right and that specific springer is produced in Italy. Stein Dinse sells it for about $240 and there wont be vat and "normal" shipping for me. I am really thinking about getting it instead of spending way over three times that amount of money.... Hmmmm ..

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 01:04:18 PM »
Dodgeboy, If you decide to try the springer, I just remembered that I replaced the springs it came with, with slightly shorter springs, that I found on ebay, to lower it some, since I have short legs. Ebay is full of different size springs in different finishes.
Rick.

Offline DodgeBoy

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2022, 02:26:10 PM »
Dodgeboy, If you decide to try the springer, I just remembered that I replaced the springs it came with, with slightly shorter springs, that I found on ebay, to lower it some, since I have short legs. Ebay is full of different size springs in different finishes.
Rick.

Rick, on your pictured bike (a beauty btw :-) ) i can see you bolted the springs directly onto the frame. I thought you need seat spring containers (which are mentioned in the Ambassador booklets) between the frame and the springs...

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2022, 03:31:13 PM »
Rick, on your pictured bike (a beauty btw :-) ) i can see you bolted the springs directly onto the frame. I thought you need seat spring containers (which are mentioned in the Ambassador booklets) between the frame and the springs...

On the original US police sprung solo seats, spring seats were used. The European police sprung solo seat did not.
https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74&products_id=274
Charlie

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2022, 03:55:30 PM »
I have the Harper's solo saddle on my ambo. I really like it. And it looks great.

1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline JBU

• Gosling
    • www.joelurruty.com
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2022, 04:14:17 PM »
I am fortunate to have 2 eldos at the moment.  One has the harper seat the other the MG seat (without the springs).  The harper seat if soft while the MG is more firm.  I like them both.  I might get some short 2" spring for the MG seat, thanks Rick for the suggestion  :thumb:

« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 04:15:15 PM by JBU »
JBU

Offline JBU

• Gosling
    • www.joelurruty.com
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2022, 04:15:48 PM »
I am fortunate to have 2 eldos at the moment.  One has the harper seat the other the MG seat (without the springs).  The harper seat is soft while the MG is more firm.  I like them both.  I might get some short 2" spring for the MG seat, thanks Rick for the suggestion  :thumb:

JBU

Offline DodgeBoy

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2022, 05:42:23 PM »
I have the Harper's solo saddle on my ambo. I really like it. And it looks great.

Turin, did you grind the front tab further down so the saddle sits more flush on the gas tank? On most pics i see the saddle sticks very far out in the front. I think i like the overall look of the Harper the most.

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2022, 11:56:27 PM »
I didn't modify anything other than placing a couple of rubber spacers under the rear mounts. My Loopframe is an early ambo with the smaller gas tank.
1997 Daytona RS
1991 LeMans 1000
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 900

Offline DodgeBoy

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2022, 01:50:08 AM »
I didn't modify anything other than placing a couple of rubber spacers under the rear mounts. My Loopframe is an early ambo with the smaller gas tank.

Ah okay. So, the Harper seat is more likely designed for the Ambo...

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2022, 07:17:03 AM »
Ah okay. So, the Harper seat is more likely designed for the Ambo...

Not really.  His early Ambo was the transition from the V700.  The Harpers seat should work on any loop.  I have an original steel pan sprung seat with frame cups on my ‘71 police Ambo.  Nice cush ride!

« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 07:20:23 AM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2022, 11:02:34 AM »
Cam is correct,  the harpers solo seat works for any Eldorado, ambassador, GT, or V7.

1997 Daytona RS
1991 LeMans 1000
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 900

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2022, 01:17:47 PM »
I never knew you could mount the springer re pop seat without springs.  Not a bad idea for the "inseam challenged".  I like the looks of the springer, but must admit , the Harpers seat sure looks cool, the way it slopes down.  I had a Harpers on mine years ago, it was nice, but not as comfy as the springer for my bony old  butt.   :grin:
Rick.

Offline DodgeBoy

• New Egg
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2022, 09:04:09 AM »
One additional question on the Harper's...
I understood you can grind the front brackets down If you want the seat flush with the gas tank but is there any reason why it is that high by default? I mean the CycleGarden one is way lower in the front on any picture i saw.

Will the Harper's seat surface be tilted too low to the front when grinding it down due to different shape to the CG one?

Offline Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2022, 11:53:45 AM »
I have no wisdom regarding the springs, but I did buy a Cycle Garden seat for my 74 Eldo about 5 years ago when it was priced a bit more reasonable.  It was a good fit.   I went back to the stock seat though, just my preference.

Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Online Anomaly

• Gosling
  • Location: Southern Tuscany (mostly), Rhode Island (sometimes)
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2022, 09:07:48 AM »
This is next door to you, in Italy, so may be worth considering (?).

https://www.subito.it/accessori-moto/sella-moto-guzzi-vintage-originale-bergamo-452687082.htm

No connection to the seller ...
1981 T3 California, 1983 Piaggio Apecar P2
Sold: 98 BMW F650, 2012 v7 Classic

Offline JBU

• Gosling
    • www.joelurruty.com
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2022, 09:24:22 AM »
This is next door to you, in Italy, so may be worth considering (?).

https://www.subito.it/accessori-moto/sella-moto-guzzi-vintage-originale-bergamo-452687082.htm

No connection to the seller ...

I don't think that seat will work on a loop frame.  That looks like the one that is on my lodola.

JBU

Offline DodgeBoy

• New Egg
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2022, 03:10:20 PM »
Well guys...thanks again for the hints and tips! Yesterday i ordered some stuff from Stein Dinse and then i thought f* it and ordered the italian springer seat. I will see how it works out for me. The price and availability made the point on this one. Maybe in the future i try getting the Harper.

Only thing is the springer looks a bit odd without the Ambo style spring containers (imho) but they are hard to come by here overseas. So if someone has a pair l+r for sale please let me know.

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2022, 03:40:35 PM »
Well guys...thanks again for the hints and tips! Yesterday i ordered some stuff from Stein Dinse and then i thought f* it and ordered the italian springer seat. I will see how it works out for me. The price and availability made the point on this one. Maybe in the future i try getting the Harper.

Only thing is the springer looks a bit odd without the Ambo style spring containers (imho) but they are hard to come by here overseas. So if someone has a pair l+r for sale please let me know.

Like I wrote above, the Euro police seat doesn't use those, the springs aren't wide enough apart on the seat pan to fit into those spring containers. Plus, the springs wouldn't be long enough either. Those "containers" are meant for the US police sprung solo seat which is wider than the Euro police seat. But, if you want to try them anyway:
https://www.eurojamb.com/collections/moto-guzzi-chassis/products/moto-guzzi-police-seat-spring-plus-mount-set-complete-750
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 03:42:32 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline DodgeBoy

• New Egg
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2022, 04:11:45 PM »
Like I wrote above, the Euro police seat doesn't use those, the springs aren't wide enough apart on the seat pan to fit into those spring containers. Plus, the springs wouldn't be long enough either. Those "containers" are meant for the US police sprung solo seat which is wider than the Euro police seat. But, if you want to try them anyway:
https://www.eurojamb.com/collections/moto-guzzi-chassis/products/moto-guzzi-police-seat-spring-plus-mount-set-complete-750

Oh okay yes i forgot about the width... i allready bought once at eurojamb. Maybe i ll give it a try.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here