Author Topic: "Toaster Tank!!"  (Read 897 times)

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
"Toaster Tank!!"
« on: October 14, 2021, 08:23:05 AM »
I know many Guzzisti's here will "POOH-POOH" vintage airhead Beemers, but (IMHO), I think these are very classic-looking, reliable,  and capable bikes.  I like this one... :thumb: :bow: :cool: :boozing: :wink: :smiley:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Alfetta

• Gosling
Re: "Toaster Tank!!"
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 09:22:30 AM »
Capable - well yes it will haul your arse down the road.
Reliable -  mine sure was, in fact, I consider them "very reliable"
Classic looking - well even the most non motorcyclist among us may recognize this bike, and know that it's unique.

but...

Capable as compared to other machines, you might find this bike lagging behind (depending on your capability metric)
Classic looking is by no means the same as good looking. I think that the vertical "wall" that exists between the cylinders is ugly, the air cleaner scabby, and the bike looks fat in the wrong locations.
and perhaps it was just my bike, the the torque jacking on the rear suspension was (to be kind) annoying. and the loud clunk of the gearbox also annoying. but worst of all the constant smell of gas on my shoes !!

But again, it's a good, reliable, capable, bike... Just not for me !
Nothing much better than a Tannat from the Salta region.

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 09:28:20 AM »
Capable - well yes it will haul your arse down the road.
Reliable -  mine sure was, in fact, I consider them "very reliable"
Classic looking - well even the most non motorcyclist among us may recognize this bike, and know that it's unique.

but...

Capable as compared to other machines, you might find this bike lagging behind (depending on your capability metric)
Classic looking is by no means the same as good looking. I think that the vertical "wall" that exists between the cylinders is ugly, the air cleaner scabby, and the bike looks fat in the wrong locations.
and perhaps it was just my bike, the the torque jacking on the rear suspension was (to be kind) annoying. and the loud clunk of the gearbox also annoying. but worst of all the constant smell of gas on my shoes !!

But again, it's a good, reliable, capable, bike... Just not for me !

Fair enough analysis....:wink: :thumb :cool: :smiley::  Thanks for sharing your thoughts...
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 09:38:40 AM »
Not a "Toaster Tank, but just another data point...

I bought this 1983 BMW R80RT "brand new" back in the day, and put >50,000 trouble-free miles on it.  One of my more memorable motorcycles that I owned...

Just normal maintenance and I replaced tires, battery, and one clutch cable, as I recall, but that was it! :thumb:

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 09:38:40 AM »

Online sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 09:59:44 AM »
JJ,
I had a 1986 R80 RT. Same, I think, except mine had the single rear shock. Mostly trouble free, except the coils gave out when it had about 50,000 miles. Was well past the normal warranty, but me dealer battled BMW, citing the coils were part of the Emissions Warranty, which BMW published in the owners manual. Saved me about $1500 parts and labor costs. Other than that fiasco ( with BMW Corp.), bike was a sweet tourer. Lightweight, powerful enough and with good carrying capacity. The only riding annoyance, was if I came across a strong crosswind, the bike could change lanes by itself.   :shocked:

Not a "Toaster Tank, but just another data point...

I bought this 1983 BMW R80RT "brand new" back in the day, and put >50,000 trouble-free miles on it.  One of my more memorable motorcycles that I owned...

Just normal maintenance and I replaced tires, battery, and one clutch cable, as I recall, but that was it! :thumb:

John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline Dimples

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 10:57:34 AM »
I know many Guzzisti's here will "POOH-POOH" vintage airhead Beemers, but (IMHO), I think these are very classic-looking, reliable,  and capable bikes.  I like this one... :thumb: :bow: :cool: :boozing: :wink: :smiley:

I have to agree. I've owned two 1973 LWB toasters over the years-- one white, one black. I'd add 2 more qualities: these are very easy to work on and parts are readily available from many sources.
'96 Sport 1100 - carb
'71 Ambassador - Venolia

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 11:27:59 AM »
Not a "Toaster Tank", here is another nice example...with a little more power. 

If I was WG ("Without Guzzi"), I would not hesitate to own and ride one of these again! :wink: :thumb: :cool:

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 01:06:55 PM »
  This is almost heresy  :police: . I kinda liked them in the day too , but jeez , that agricultural gearbox :( . Peter

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2021, 01:10:55 PM »
  This is almost heresy  :police: . I kinda liked them in the day too , but jeez , that agricultural gearbox :( . Peter

OK - So they "clunked" a bit...Guzzi motors are somewhat "tractor-like" also... :wink: :grin: :laugh:

My 2014 Victory Vision "clunks" in first gear also... :laugh: :grin: :wink:

Frankly speaking...I don't remember them being THAT bad!! :laugh: :grin: :wink: :thumb: :cool:
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2021, 03:56:16 PM »
Here’s my ‘71.  It’s a great bike.  The only problem is that the Guzzi has all the same upsides, looks cooler and stops and accelerates much better. The /5 just sits in the garage looking Teutonic until the snow flies. Then it hauls the groceries like nobody’s business. Thanks for keeping us posted JJ.

Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2021, 04:22:54 PM »
Here’s my ‘71.  It’s a great bike.  The only problem is that the Guzzi has all the same upsides, looks cooler and stops and accelerates much better. The /5 just sits in the garage looking Teutonic until the snow flies. Then it hauls the groceries like nobody’s business. Thanks for keeping us posted JJ.

Here is another nice one, but only 500cc...that sold recently...and I believe that is a little too "anemic." :wink:  I think for an airhead, one needs 750cc or 900cc - - just my opinion...

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online xackley

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2021, 05:43:06 PM »
If any of you toaster guys need rockers, I have 3.
One of mine started to rattle, sliding up and down, so I bought a used set.

As to the r75/5, I had to much problem. First 3 odyssey batteries to get a good one, then 20 miles from home it locked up in 2nd gear. It now has a /6 tranny so it is kind of a Frankenstein monster.

I think that huge area above the cylinders happened because some idiot reviewer commented that the air space between the tank and engine on the /2 looked bad.
Don
1958 R69 BMW, 1972 R75/5, 1980 yamaha XS650, 1982 GL1100, 2003 EV, 2007 Triumph America and 2017 V7!!!
All on the road, going nowhere in particular.

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2021, 10:53:23 PM »
The Boxer twin was the bike that got me into motorcycles 20 years ago. Zero interest in them until the boxers started catching my eye. Have had a few over the years but never a /5 and I would like one, def needs to be a 750 though. And/or I'm thinking of converting my /6 into a Frankenbike with /5 headlight/speedo. But now my Guzzi has all my attention!

Has anyone seen Das Boot, the movie? Just rewatched it a couple nights ago, great one, and something about the submarine aesthetics reminds me of the BMW twin!

Offline Stretch

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2021, 07:34:30 AM »
I like /5 BMWs. They're not pretty, but they can do most of what
I'd ever want in a street bike. And they work better on unimproved
roads than my big Cali 1400! (I know, I know - that's not a very high
bar- just sayin'.)

When I find the right one, I might buy it!  :grin:

I actually bid on that R50, but it was just too expensive. Way overpriced, IMHO.
Those little R50/5s intrigue me for some reason, although the R75/5
is more practical in every respect save gas mileage.

Oh, yeah demet - I think "Das Boot" is probably the best submarine movie ever made.
I first saw it in German (with English subtitles) on a big screen with a big sound
system. Cinematography was great-  I swear I could smell the stink and the diesel!  :popcorn:
Not a bad anti-war movie, either.

-Stretch

« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 07:40:27 AM by Stretch »
1967? Change Jiang M1M
1978 Yamaha SR500
1987 BMW K75S
2011 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
2015 Triumph Trophy
2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2021, 08:41:01 AM »
 and my useless viewpoint....I rode the 74 900  BMW that Petris Rocks has.... Been a while since I rode one... Reliable yes, vibration levels are low and high speed cruising comfortable... ...but...the bike makes you adjust to slower shifting shifting ,high effort controls, awkward foot position and less than inspiring performance . Not that it's bad, but just vintage...
  I have never ridden a loop frame Guzzi, are they less " strange" than the same vintage BMW?
 Oh, Petris is selling his bike , it's in good shape.... :thumb:

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2021, 08:55:40 AM »
and my useless viewpoint....I rode the 74 900  BMW that Petris Rocks has.... Been a while since I rode one... Reliable yes, vibration levels are low and high speed cruising comfortable... ...but...the bike makes you adjust to slower shifting shifting ,high effort controls, awkward foot position and less than inspiring performance . Not that it's bad, but just vintage...
  I have never ridden a loop frame Guzzi, are they less " strange" than the same vintage BMW?

I never rode a loop frame Guzzi either, but I am sure it is rather..."Tractor-Like..." :laugh: :grin: :wink:

Back in the day, I had one of these modern Beemers....and it was a reasonable performer, as I recall, and compared to the stodgy vintage airheads....and it handled and braked well also!  (....just sayin')

download own photos from instagram
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2021, 09:53:23 AM »

I think in your case, that you'd find a Loopframe Guzzi even more "strange". Loops aren't for everyone...
Charlie

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2021, 10:23:11 AM »
  "Strange"... strange word from me that rides vintage British junk...lol..  I do like bike that have a direct mechanical feel, like old  Brits, or less vibrating Italian V twins or even the Honda 650NT Hawk..The BMW did have some of that in a round about fashion..

Offline Alfetta

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2021, 10:53:55 AM »
Has anyone seen Das Boot, the movie? Just rewatched it a couple nights ago, great one, and something about the submarine aesthetics reminds me of the BMW twin!

Good Flick for sure, I would also recommend "The Dark Valley"
Nothing much better than a Tannat from the Salta region.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here