Author Topic: New opinions on preferred mesh summer jacket  (Read 139 times)

Online brider

• Gaggle Hero
New opinions on preferred mesh summer jacket
« on: Today at 10:05:40 AM »
It's getting near that time 'o year here, and last year I promised myself I'd try a mesh jacket again. Did some searching in the archives here and founds a lot of opinions that confirm my last memory of using a Joe Rocket mesh jacket: They may be very hot anyway, under some conditions. That's why I abandoned my old Joe Rocket.

But there's gotta be something lighter/better than my Tourmaster 3/4 with the liner zipped out and all the vents open in the summer...maybe mesh isn't the way to go?

Opinions on what you like? It's not desert-like here in CT, but a trip going north into mid-Mass can hit 90's with humidity.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
Re: New opinions on preferred mesh summer jacket
« Reply #1 on: Today at 10:21:52 AM »
The problem for you and me too is the humidity.  For me, it doesn't seem to matter whether I wear a jacket with vents or a mesh, I just cannot really get cool in hot, humid summer weather.  Even dousing your head and shirt with water is not very effective for long.  FYI, I have a tourmaster mesh and as said, it doesn't do much good over 90 when humid.
Blue Guzz

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:22:03 AM »
I have a couple of joe rockets I use. light in color, high vis, and silver. You dont want a black one ! Here in Arizona, the way to ride in summer is with the mesh jacket, a T shirt underneath, and when it gets real hot, I like to wet my T shirt with a water bottle, and let it evaporate dry as I ride. Evaporative cooling!
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:32:13 AM »
Here in the Ozarks we're blessed with some really WET heat.  :grin: I don't care what you wear, it's NOT comfortable. I have a mesh jacket and douche my t shirt down with water like BBR said.  Also drink LOTS of water.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:32:13 AM »

Online brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: Today at 11:08:35 AM »
Yeah, I know what it's like to ride in miserable heat, guess I'm looking for a jacket suitable for 70's-80's heat in moderate humidity. That's why I'm wondering if in those ranges, a non or partial-mesh short jacket might be the best. Above that range all bets are off, and below my Tourmaster with the vents wide open works pretty good.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Online jamesfjamesf

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:19:00 AM »
Central MA here :-)  From 2011 (wow): I have a Cortech GX Air Series 2 mesh waist length jacket that I like a lot. It zips to Olympia Airglide 3 mesh Pants. Cortech GX Air 2 gloves complete the feeling like I'm riding in shorts and tshirt but they all have padding. I haven't tested the abrasion resistance yet.

jim

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: Today at 11:40:31 AM »
Bad advice but if you leave the armor in they are all hot. Had 2 different ones, 1 black, 1 silver; not a lot of difference. The back armor out helps the most with heat. A tip on mesh, with a good rain jacket over them they make a good cold weather alternative. I used a Stearn fishing jacket

Online QuickLime

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: Today at 12:34:23 PM »
Boston area here! I recently got a Revit Airwave 3 and it flows an incredible amount of air. I would definitely recommend it for higher temps. Obviously it's always a trade-off of protection vs comfort, but the new Airwave 4 is CE AA rated and reportedly just as good in terms of airflow. My daily jacket is an A-stars Halo (with removable drystar jacket) and with the AA sleeves removed and chest/back vents open it's also surprisingly flowy. Usually good for me up to the 70s, then I want to switch to the full mesh. The Halo is great for a single jacket though, I've worn it down to the low 30s with the rain later as a windstopper, and then when it gets hot you can take that off, open the vents, etc.

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: Today at 02:41:29 PM »
I wear an old Tourmaster black mesh jacket and it works well for me.  If it gets cold I use long sleeve underneath with a rain jacket on top and it is
surprising how well it will keep you warm. Of course with mesh jackets you wick away moisture and dehydrate quicker so you have to
be conscious of taking in more water.  Everything is a trade.   

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here