General Category > General Discussion

1973 V7 Sport Cylinder Relining Millennium

(1/57) > >>

Richiez22908:
Ok so since I was read the riot act(with the best of intentions and probably saved me a lot of trouble), going to bite the bullet and get the cylinders replated my Millennium. Got a quote for $600 including sending the pistons and them checking the piston fitting afterward and ring spacing... so not bad.

Will post every step, screw up, bungle and win here for reference for those that come after.

Got the pan off to check for chrome. Doesn't look like much of anything but a few tiny bits. Anyone with better eyes please take a look... anything I should be worried about?

Working on valve covers an beyond now... so we'll see how the cyls look inside.

Richiez22908:

Dave Swanson:
Excellent move! 

My V7 Sport was my first Guzzi 20 years ago.  I was told to promptly replace the cylinders with Gilardonis, which were available then.  I really didn't have the budget for it, but knuckled under and took the best advice I ever received on the forum.  When I removed my barrels the bores looked like new - the bike only had 900 miles.  When I looked at the hard chrome surface under magnification there was evidence of micro pits that had popped off.  My 900 miles V7 Sport engine block would have been turned into scrap metal if I hadn't listened. 

Antietam Classic Cycle:
I've gone that route on at least eight Guzzis now and Millennium has always done an excellent job, no issues whatsoever. Do measure your pistons carefully and compare them to the specs. published in the factory manual. Pay particular attention to ring groove widths.

Richiez22908:

--- Quote from: Antietam Classic Cycle on June 20, 2022, 12:48:26 PM ---I've gone that route on at least eight Guzzis now and Millennium has always done an excellent job, no issues whatsoever. Do measure your pistons carefully and compare them to the specs. published in the factory manual. Pay particular attention to ring groove widths.

--- End quote ---

Will do!! Good I idea to make sure they're not a mess before sending off.

12k miles, only 1k since its been resurrected and runs great so fingers crossed all is well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version