Author Topic: jackal air filter conversion  (Read 770 times)

Offline Moda253

• New Egg
jackal air filter conversion
« on: November 28, 2022, 11:35:39 AM »
Hi all, I know this has been done before. I searched the forums byt didn’t see anything specific to a jackal. But I would really like to forget all about the air box in my 2000 jackal and convert to kn&n filters instead.

Though I do have some questions. First whoch filters and connectors do I need? And what do I do with the hose that connects to the airbox currently?
2000 California Jackal (Currently under restoration)

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
Re: jackal air filter conversion
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 12:37:42 PM »
It will be loud right under you. I’d leave it stock
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 12:41:06 PM »
The reason not to do it is the stock air system is quite good from a performance aspect.
You can just leave that drain line vent overboard or put it to vented catch bottle
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 12:44:52 PM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 12:44:06 PM »
I do this with all my Tonti bikes. I hate those air boxes. The hose that comes rom the frame breather system to the airbox, I just hook it to a small filter and attach it up high under the tank.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 12:44:06 PM »

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 12:48:22 PM »
The reason not to do it is the stock air system is quite good from a performance aspect.
You can just leave that drain line vent overboard or put it to vented catch bottle
The key to having it perform well is to use the velocity tubes that go into the airbox with your new filter setup as you can see in my pictures.

Offline Moda253

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 03:22:05 PM »
Is that just like a foam sleeve between the two tubes?

I do this with all my Tonti bikes. I hate those air boxes. The hose that comes rom the frame breather system to the airbox, I just hook it to a small filter and attach it up high under the tank.

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2022, 03:45:49 PM »
Is that just like a foam sleeve between the two tubes?
It is a UNI filter #U802. There is a spring inside to keep it's shape. I cut out the closed end of the sock and buy another hose clamp. The spring is the perfect size to slip over the velocity tubes.
I just oil it up with foam air filter oil. I have been doing this since around 1980.

Offline Mr Revhead

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2022, 08:21:29 PM »
100% that set up is losing power.
The tubes are not the most vital part, the space and flow around the opening is.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 09:08:01 PM »
My conversion I been doing on that Airbox since 93 is to drill w/hole saw 2-- 2 1/2in holes in top with a foam or K&N in airbox. I seen the 2 snouts on each side of frame cut off to get bigger holes in.  I have even seen no top on airbox.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2022, 10:51:00 PM »
I deleted the snorkel top and made a filter retainer ring that is a mirror of the inside of the discarded top so it’s open to the filter. It’ll suck the crystal right off my watch around 5700 rpm, those snorkels sure quiet it down. Riding it, the intake is sometimes louder than the exhaust.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2022, 06:00:22 AM »
I had the open lid with filter retaining ring on my 02 stone metal when I got it. OK, it did sound cool, but it was LOUD and it did effect the tune. I went back to the stock lid and it was a improvement in noise, and rideability.
Paul B

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2022, 10:03:52 AM »
I had the open lid with filter retaining ring on my 02 stone metal when I got it. OK, it did sound cool, but it was LOUD and it did effect the tune. I went back to the stock lid and it was a improvement in noise, and rideability.

Yep, it’s best to have a custom ecu map made on a dyno after modifications. I found a wizard in MPLS that made mine using a FIM program back when it was rare to find anyone with the knowledge and tools to do it correctly. I’m still pleased with the program he created. He said there were large gaps in waypoints in the program that he filled in. He said made a feature that changed the ignition timing on trailing throttle to get rid of the popping on decel. The big mods I had made were a Norris S cam, dual plugs, throttle bodies from a Sport and porting by Mike Rich. Lots of little tricks as well.  The dyno tune was the most expensive part but well worth it.
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2022, 01:55:36 PM »
Hey John, Your Stone sounds, like its  super Hot! Lots of cool performance mods! Post some pics if you get a chance.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Tim Henry

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2022, 03:26:11 PM »
I had antmans 07 calvin wit this setuo and the meinhoff map and put lots of miles on it with no lack of power noticed its still running strong for the new owner. I gave the bike to my friends son with 113k plus miles

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2022, 06:38:48 PM »
I had antmans 07 calvin with this setup and the meinhoff map and put lots of miles on it with no lack of power noticed its still running strong for the new owner. I gave the bike to my friends son with 113k plus miles
Those pictures I posted of the filter are of the CalVin.
I also did it to my 98 EV1100 and 2000 Jackal using the stock maps, 2004 750 Breva, and back in the day on my  76 850T3 and 77 Convert.
I also just did it on my newly acquired 2011 V7 Classic. On my Griso I left the stock airbox and filter.
On my 2004 V11 sport naked I removed the air box but used individual UNI pods because the spine frame was in the way.
I have always used the stock intake tubes on all these bikes.
Also I like the intake pulsating roar. It is part of the Guzzi charm of the cacophony of sounds that it makes.

Offline Moda253

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2022, 06:02:33 AM »
Well my bike will definitely be retuned when I am done working on it. I am lucky to share a work shop with Doug Lofgren who is pretty well versed on running his Dyno machine and tuning motorcycles.

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2022, 07:26:04 AM »
Well my bike will definitely be retuned when I am done working on it. I am lucky to share a work shop with Doug Lofgren who is pretty well versed on running his Dyno machine and tuning motorcycles.

I didn’t know he was still around, he’s the one that tuned mine all those years ago. Quality job!
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Tim Henry

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2022, 08:01:40 AM »
I rode that calvin everyday i was doing over 700 miles a week for a while commuting to work in jacksonville i put over 10k a year it was easy maintaining the filters i wish i would have done that on my quota[127k when totaled] as the filter was a pia to get to . I left both grisos alone im not racing anyone so im more concerned with easy care and reliability as i still ride daily to work and travel . The calvin didnt seem to be lacking in hp for as heavy i loaded it

Offline Moda253

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2022, 08:10:58 AM »

I didn’t know he was still around, he’s the one that tuned mine all those years ago. Quality job!

Yep I will post a pic of him and his machine sometime soon

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here