Author Topic: Getting a lift table; opinions  (Read 2619 times)

Offline Brand X

• Gosling
Re: Getting a lift table; opinions
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2021, 08:20:50 AM »
The narrowness of the Kenda and the trip hazard of the stabilization/tip over bar on the floor were also detractors for me. I prefer the deck be as wide or wider than the base to eliminate the trip hazard.

Stabilization of the bike is also a consideration. I use my mid rise car lift as my motorcycle/ ATV lift. Any size bike is not going move on it no matter how I pull of tug on it.  I can lift full size diesel pickup's on it, or two large motorcycles of any size.. A UTV is also a piece of cake.. Single purpose motorcycle lift is way too limiting overall for me. Having the option to turn it into a fab table is also a nice feature in a smaller space.There are lots of lift options that can work well for a versatile overall setup.. The 5K mill was a piece of cake..

« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 08:22:38 AM by Brand X »

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2021, 08:34:34 AM »
Probably 80% of the time my lift is used for other than motorcycles. During the day it is my garage desk then after hours it turned into the bar.  For cookouts its covered with a table cloth and used as a picnic table or another flat surface to set food trays on.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2021, 11:56:05 AM »
LOL, plus 1 :boozing:
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2021, 09:19:28 PM »
Probably 80% of the time my lift is used for other than motorcycles. During the day it is my garage desk then after hours it turned into the bar.  For cookouts its covered with a table cloth and used as a picnic table or another flat surface to set food trays on.

Mine is always in the up position until I lower it to load a bike.  Makes a good work surface when not working on bikes.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2021, 09:19:28 PM »

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2021, 08:32:07 AM »
FWIW, I've had the HF table for about 6 years now.  It's fine for what I need it to do.  It was $299 with a coupon.  The wheel vise was terrible so I replaced it with something from JP Cycle for another $89.  It is easy to roll around even with a bike on it. The table also does double duty as a make shift workbench occasionally when there's no bike on it.  I have used Handy lifts, they're great but didn't want to spend that much for a home use unit or have to get a BF air compressor.

image upload
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2021, 08:51:17 AM »
Take a look at the Kendon stand-up lift, too.

I had one briefly. Didn't find it to be particularly useful. Hard to do much more than just maintenance and cleaning on it.

Three HF lifts of different types in the shop now and I'd have a fourth if there as room.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 08:57:31 AM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2021, 09:02:51 AM »
FWIW, I've had the HF table for about 6 years now.  It's fine for what I need it to do.  It was $299 with a coupon.  The wheel vise was terrible so I replaced it with something from JP Cycle for another $89.  It is easy to roll around even with a bike on it. The table also does double duty as a make shift workbench occasionally when there's no bike on it.  I have used Handy lifts, they're great but didn't want to spend that much for a home use unit or have to get a BF air compressor.

image upload

It's a good idea is to add a brace across the table underneath a better wheel vise like this one.  The table will flex somewhat whenever you clamp the wheel & tire, eventually bend and make it tough to securely clamp a front wheel.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline MGrego

• Gosling
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2021, 11:41:09 AM »
Here's a cautionary tale about a bike on a lift. 

I had my Honda Sabre on the lift (Handy pneumatic type),  front wheel in the wheel chock, and 4 ancra straps added for stability.  Two on the front forks, and 2 on the rear grab rail.  I was removing the bank of 4 carbs which is a PITA on that bike by the way.  I went in the house that evening leaving the bike on the lift.  Overnight, unknown to me, the front tire was slowly deflating. Apparently this allowed the bike to "sag" to one side enough to get the center of gravity far enough to the side to toppel the lift.  When I went back in my shop the next morning, the Honda and lift were laid on their side,  the Sabre still secured to the lift! However, on the way down,  the tank got crushed by the edge of my workbench.....  my spirits were crushed too !  Beware tires with slow leaks left on lifts.

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2021, 11:48:29 AM »
Keep and eye out used one do pop up from time to time. Buddy and I are going to WV this evening to pick up a Titan 1500XTL with all the trimmings in excellent shape for about a 1/3rd of new.  Ultimately going to TN for another buddy who's been wanting to move up from his HF lift. Like George and Wheezy he's moving up to a deluxe unit for short money :thumb:

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2021, 08:40:00 AM »
It's a good idea is to add a brace across the table underneath a better wheel vise like this one.  The table will flex somewhat whenever you clamp the wheel & tire, eventually bend and make it tough to securely clamp a front wheel.

Hey Cliffrod,

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out!

Art
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2021, 10:58:07 AM »
Hey Cliffrod,

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out!

Art

Always glad to help a guy with the same first name as me.... But Gramp went by Art or Arthur, so I never really did.

The HF lift up at the shop has suffered & tolerated a lot without any issues, but it's no match for the Handy-style wheel vise.  The more it flexed, the more it got flexed.  Not cool.   It's much better with a brace

I've got an old Grazia lift table, the inspiration for the HF table, and decided against a wheel vise.  I installed a removable Pingel wheel chock- drilled two pairs small & large holes, then slotted between them to make the keyhole for mount holes. I drilled one more hole for the securing bolt.   Makes it easy for me to remove the chock to use table for other things, like lifting and rolling a bike onto a static wooden resto table.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here