Author Topic: Maybe throttle hand will improve  (Read 1062 times)

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Maybe throttle hand will improve
« on: June 09, 2021, 03:10:19 PM »
9am this morning, had xrays made of right hand because of the excessively painful joint at the base of the thumb (arthritic.)  Followed by not the most pleasant injection I've ever had (steroid/novacaine combo,)  directly into the joint.  No guarantees ..... works well for some, not so well for others.  Fingers crossed.

Bob
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 03:11:06 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline pete mcgee

• Gosling
Re: Maybe throttle hand will improve
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 03:19:52 PM »
Bob,
Goodluck with the treatment,I hope it works.
Growing old isnt for the faint of heart, etc.
Cheers
Pete (no not the Bungendore one)

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people look intelligent until you hear them speak....

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 04:39:55 PM »
I use a cramp buster on highways to ease the pressure on my thumb joint.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 04:50:10 PM »
I've been doing physical therapy on my clutch hand, my left thumb.  So far the therapy has been working.  I'm about 70% better.  It's an issue with the saddle bone and strengthening some the surrounding muscles  and over strengthening  the "twisting" muscles.  So it's a matter of getting things in alignment and adding back some strength.

One thing the therapist warned me about, "Don't squeeze a rubber ball." 

I didn't know that drugs and steroids were possibility but for now I'm glad the therapy and support gloves are working.   
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 04:50:10 PM »

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 05:30:05 PM »
Several folks I know swear by The Thumb Thing at www.ruoutside.com

https://www.ruoutside.com/thumbthing.html
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 05:30:39 PM by kingoffleece »
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 05:57:35 PM »
Several folks I know swear by The Thumb Thing at www.ruoutside.com

https://www.ruoutside.com/thumbthing.html

those things help.  My therapist made me one out of moldable plastic (hot water) and recommended buying one with a Velcro strap.  I have three of them including the hard plastic one.  I'm wearing them a little less now since I've been getting better.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 06:09:10 PM »
I had my clutch hand rebuilt last fall. It is much better. I'm probably looking at an injection on my throttle hand before long. I had one in my left shoulder a few years back, and it really seemed to help.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 06:18:35 PM »
I've had hand cramping forever. This works better than anything I have ever found, hands down.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293780927191?epid=171134445&hash=item4466b532d7:g:qOYAAOSwFN9fhhUf

I've also had cortisone in my knee, shoulder, & back. The stuff was magic for me, but be warned. Once is not always enough. It can take as many as 3 times. I know this because my doc cautioned me and I've talked to lots of people with experience. So give it a fair shot.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 06:53:06 PM »
Appreciate all your comments about your own experiences with hand issues.  I'll know more in a few days, after/if the cortisone reduces inflammation and subsequent swelling.

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 07:13:24 PM »
As someone who has has a lot of Cortisone over the years, I can tell you that it plays havoc with your bone density. Eventually, the stuff spreads throughout the body and if you have enough of it, that is, over a number of years, it leads to Osteoporosis. Then, you have to begin a course of treatment for that condition too.
Just one shot in the thumb once a year wont weaken the skeleton but just be aware of the consequences and side-effects of medication.
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2021, 10:22:20 PM »
Ditto for the suggestion re the CrampBuster.  I have had one on every bike I've had for the last 12-15 years and just fitted one to the "new" Breva 750.  They take a bit of getting used to; not best to ride in traffic until one is used to them.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2021, 11:01:22 PM »
I've gotten two sets of steroid injections in my finger joints (RA) about a year apart as I'm concerned over having them too often. The needle is painful going in and the hurt continues for a couple of days. Then the relief begins. Well worth it imho.

Rich A

Offline BRG-BIRD

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2021, 06:20:19 AM »
I've been doing physical therapy on my clutch hand, my left thumb.  So far the therapy has been working.  I'm about 70% better.  It's an issue with the saddle bone and strengthening some the surrounding muscles  and over strengthening  the "twisting" muscles.  So it's a matter of getting things in alignment and adding back some strength.

One thing the therapist warned me about, "Don't squeeze a rubber ball." 

I didn't know that drugs and steroids were possibility but for now I'm glad the therapy and support gloves are working.

Good to hear you are improving!

Tell me about what you do with your therapy to strengthen your hand please.

Mark

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2021, 06:46:19 AM »
What bike are you riding that causes the cramping?

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2021, 07:40:30 AM »
Someone may have already said it or by another name but I use a throttle paddle on all my bikes. This actually takes most of the need for gripping the throttle away. Hope all goes well.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2021, 07:48:32 AM »
Good to hear you are improving!

Tell me about what you do with your therapy to strengthen your hand please.
... :rolleyes: :popcorn:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2021, 08:19:37 AM »
mentioning throttle locks, I have three bikes with them.  The thumb button ones like a Vista always seem to be too weak whenever I need them.   I have them on both Guzzis and neither had enough grip to work whenever I wanted to use them.  I guess I should've adjusted them before I took a ride?  And after a while they'll lose grip altogether.

I find the better option is the "clothespin" style.  Just rotate to on the brake lever and it holds the throttle down.  They're cheap, so if the lose grip, you're not out much.  The new one I got is aluminum, with a thumb hold release and thumb screw to adjust the tension.  Very simple.  $10.

John L 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2021, 09:08:23 AM »
One last thing that I forgot, I asked my Doctor (sometimes quack IMO) about supplements.  He recommended Osteo Biflex (generic glucosamine chondroitin).  It's supposed to help joints and flexibility.  I was having pain with my back, hip, achilles and thumb, all since about the first of the year.  My thumb was by far the most painful.  Anyway, after working with two physical therapists and taking the supplement, I'm much better. 

I can't tell if the supplement helps or not but I'm reluctant to give it up and it's not cheap <Guzzi content>
John L 

Online John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2021, 10:32:33 AM »
My secret sauce to pain management.  I use lidocaine cream 4% or 5% if I can find it mixed mixed with diclofenac aka Voltaren cream 1%, 2.5% or from Mexico 5%.  Apply to the area needed.  Usually hands and wrist.  Some times My lower back.    I ask My compounding pharmacist friend about this combination and He recommended to do this. The relief is very noticeable and last 7-8 hours.   

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2021, 12:13:00 PM »
My secret sauce to pain management.  I use lidocaine cream 4% or 5% if I can find it mixed mixed with diclofenac aka Voltaren cream 1%, 2.5% or from Mexico 5%.  Apply to the area needed.  Usually hands and wrist.  Some times My lower back.    I ask My compounding pharmacist friend about this combination and He recommended to do this. The relief is very noticeable and last 7-8 hours.

That’s what I use as well. That thumb joint responded to the exercises the best of any physical therapy on any joint I had. At least every other day I do them and it’s gone from barely functional to mostly unnoticeable. I wish the other joints would do as well. The joint has to learn to stay in the stay in the socket is the key.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 12:29:24 PM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2021, 02:26:24 PM »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293780927191?epid=171134445&hash=item4466b532d7:g:qOYAAOSwFN9fhhUf

This is fully adjustable with a simple allen wrench that comes with it. I have never had one "wear out".  You can have any amount of tension you like.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2021, 06:45:20 AM »
I've had osteoarthritis in my right wrist for the last 20 years.  Giving up golfing wasn't a problem but riding is a different story.  The LMIV-SE with it's bellcrank 40's really pushes my wrist to it's limits as does the '03 V11 Lemans with it's long reach to the grips.  However, if it is comfort I need, I'll take the Wing, it has electronic cruise control.

Anyway, I used to take an Ibuprofen & Acetaminophen to reduce inflammation & pain but these days I take a 200mg anti-inflammatory and I'm good to go.

Hey Bob, hope to see you and the rest of the gang tomorrow at Mike's Place for breaky!
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Offline Gappy

• New Egg
  • StLouis MO
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2021, 07:18:09 AM »
If you ride a bike with carburetors like mine, you can buy a much softer spring for the slide which makes it much easier to open the throttle . You could also put on a larger throttle grip which would also increase your leverage on the throttle. Also make sure your cables slide freely as possible.
2003 Suzuki burgman an650
1994 Moto Guzzi California 1100
1992 BMW k75s
1983 Harley Davidson FLHT
1981 BMW r100rt
1981 Honda 650/4

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2021, 08:20:49 AM »
Similar but a little different- I asked my doc about elbow joint pain, tennis elbow.  He suggested Voltaren cream and some exercises to stretch out that particular tendon.  It (V) is an NSAID.  I'll give it a go, but it has only been one day.  The PIA with it is you are supposed to apply it 4 times a day.  I know me, and that ain't happening.  I might get three.
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline nwguy

• Gosling
    • Jim Gallant's home page
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2021, 10:30:48 AM »
I used both a wrist assist (aka throttle rocker) and a clothespin style throttle lock on my recent 10k mile trip. Couldn't have done the trip without them. It's an interesting exercise to decide which device to use for a given riding condition. Throttle lock for long straight sections with consistent speed, wrist assist for varied speed in light curves or traffic. No device at all for good, curvy roads or high traffic areas. With the throttle lock engaged I'd often press my right hand finger tips against my fuel tank to stretch the tissues in my fingers and hand. Have done the same thing against my steering wheel on the way home from Columbia Gorge windsurfing trips after sailing all day hanging onto a boom.
Current:  08 Norge, 06 Suzuki Burgman, 06 Yamaha Morphous

Past:  3 Buell Lightnings, 02 BMW R1150RS
05 Ducati Multistrada, First gen Kawasaki Concours, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, 02 Honda ST110, Aprilia Falco, Suzuki VX800, Yamaha Radian, Suzuki TS185, Yamaha RD400

Offline stubbie

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2021, 09:24:55 PM »
I wish it was only my thumb. I got that disease in every part of my body and take lots of medication just to walk every day. A few times I've gone for a 300km ride with lots of clutch work and have been climbing all over the handlebars on the way back just trying to change gears. Anyway no use complaining. Try some magnesium it may help.

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2021, 11:03:47 PM »
I also use those big fat foam grips. I don't have to curl my hand as far and the foam reduces vibrations as well. Especially with gloves the big grips help. My hands do not like closing down any farther than necessary when I put on any kind of gloves. There are foam sleeves you can slide over your smaller grips & those are cheap. I use a pair on my big scooter.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here