Author Topic: First long ride on the V85TT  (Read 2247 times)

Offline MotoMegalomaniac

• New Egg
First long ride on the V85TT
« on: July 03, 2021, 02:13:32 AM »
Hey all.  Happy to join you!

So I'm preparing to take my first long ride on the V85TT from Portland Oregon down to Denver, CO in a couple weeks to do some mountaineering with buddies, and I had a few questions I wanted to throw-out to the air-cooled vets here (this is my 1st air-cooled bike).

1. Are there any special precautions I should take as it relates to the bike for a trip this long?  My longest one-way trip to date was around 7hrs, and I'm planning to do this over 3 days at around 6.5hrs per day.

2. Any thing I need to worry about as I go through some likely hot temps with the cruise turned on and running at about 80-85mph?  I took the bike out the other AM (during "heat dome") when it was around 99F and I stopped at the store and left it in the sun for around 30mins, and it started quite rough, almost stalling on idle.  I needed to goose the throttle until I got moving.  Is that to be expected?  I've only got about 400 miles on it so far.

3. Any thoughts on kit for the road for potential repairs/tools to carry/etc?

Any guidance our thoughts are greatly appreciated!
2013 Aprilia Shiver 750
2013 Honda CB500X
2020 V85TT Adventure

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
Re: First long ride on the V85TT
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 05:55:30 AM »
Read the post of Richard Tibadeaux recent 5,00o mile trip. Randy Tefft thinks nothing about coming from Keene, NH down to Lindale, TX to visit me.

Calling a school girl ride from Vancouver,WA to Denver a LONG trip is like calling me svelte.

Tex

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 06:38:17 AM »
You might want to check out this guy's toolkit list http://www.albertaadventureriders.ca/tips/tips_my_toolkit.htm. Main thing to me is an allen set, multi-tool, tape & zip ties, a couple common sockets, tire repair kit and the two large sockets needed to remove the axle nuts. Being the paranoid/boy scout type my tire kit c/o spare tubes, MotionPro bead breaker/tire irons, patches, soap solution and a mini air compressor.

I will probably seal my rims this winter and go tubeless or buy the 2021 tubeless wheels (bonus permitting).
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline delrod

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2021, 06:45:32 AM »
Sounds like a nice ride. Don't let Tex bother you he's just jealous. As far as prep for the ride goes the bike shouldn't need anything i particular. If this is your first air cooled bike then it's your first guzzi as well. The speedometer is likely to be way optimistic check it against a GPS device so you in know how fast you're really going. The full mark on the dipstick may be  above where the engine wants to run. I worried myself to death topping off with half pint of oil after a day ride once the level got about half a guard below full it stopped and stays there for thousands of miles.
 Others will jump in on this you'll likely get more advice than you need about everything
Doug in Pittsburg KS
2003EVT

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2021, 06:45:32 AM »

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2021, 08:11:01 AM »
Sounds like a nice ride. Don't let Tex bother you he's just jealous. As far as prep for the ride goes the bike shouldn't need anything i particular. If this is your first air cooled bike then it's your first guzzi as well. The speedometer is likely to be way optimistic check it against a GPS device so you in know how fast you're really going. The full mark on the dipstick may be  above where the engine wants to run. I worried myself to death topping off with half pint of oil after a day ride once the level got about half a guard below full it stopped and stays there for thousands of miles.
 Others will jump in on this you'll likely get more advice than you need about everything

V85 has a sight glass - about 1/2 way between the marks is where most seem to run. Speedo is non-linear on mine - close up to 40 then about 10% fast as I get into the 70's.

Other thoughts: On the last long (and hot) ride rear tire pressure went up 15% according to my cheap TPMS. Bumping the cold pressure to 42 helped but I'm thinking 44 might be better.  Don't forget to adjust your suspension for the extra load - I added 2 clicks of preload to counter the extra weight. Depending on your arse you may want some sort of extra pad - I decided on a Skwoosh med classic sheepskin (Amazon $45).
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2021, 08:24:07 AM »
This will be a great thread!
Keep us posted on your progress and daily reports are great.
Keep this in mind also. If you have a breakdown, put it in the forum right away as there may be a board member near by who will probably be willing to assist, this occurs here quite frequently.
Good luck, have fun and be safe 👍

Dan/Danny

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2021, 08:34:56 AM »
Can't imagine a modern Guzzi having any problem with a run like that. Years back my wife and I did a round trip from Hays, KS to Moab on the T-3 packed down like a rented mule. In one stretch to get through the heat (100-105 degrees) we ran 90-100mph indicated on I-70 between Moab and Grand junction with no problem. Don't over think it and enjoy the trip.

GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2021, 08:39:45 AM »
I just rode from St. Louis to the Keene, NH rally and back, with a mix of highway and secondary roads.  Longest day was 14 hours blasting along at an indicated 75-80 mph (which was really 70-75).  About 3500 miles.
-it ran flawlessly.  Don't worry about a trip to CO.
-it used ~300 mL of oil at one point...this was not after the 14 hours.  It was after I rode up to the top of Mt. Washington (6000 ft), but I can't see that had anything to do with it. Just check the sight glass in the morning or evening once in a while.
-I would suggest a minimal tool kit.  They are heavy and you should honestly think about what you would be comfortable doing on the road.  And...if the bike really has a problem, it would be a BIG problem that a pair of pliers and a hex driver won't fix.  Take a copy of the owner's list (if you are in MGNOC) and this website address. 
-mine is set up with a larger windscreen that is most comfortable and gets good gas mileage at 75 mph or less (indicated 80 on the speedo).  Any faster and it is pushing a lot of wind, it is a lot more work to drive, and the gas consumption goes up.  At ~70, I was getting around 45-48 mpg. 
-keep the revs up between 4-5000 rpm.  Mine seems to run best above about 4500.
-take water, stay hydrated.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 08:43:30 AM by jrt »
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2021, 09:57:13 AM »
I can appreciate the apprehension.  I might offer a service.   Just loan me the bike for a few weeks and I will gladly test run your adventure.    I'll report any anomalies encountered and give you a full report.   

OTOH, you can ride it like you stole it.

PS- have a great time!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 09:58:02 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2021, 10:11:44 AM »
Maybe I should elaborate on my post where I said “this happens frequently” as far as “breakdowns”.
I wasn’t in no way referring to any issues with your particular bike, just in general such as  flat tires, minor accidents or other common issues that can occur with any motorcycle, leaving one stranded while out on the road. 👍

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2021, 01:26:19 PM »
the only thing I'd bring is a set of tubes. Patches don't always stick and finding a tube in BFE won't be easy.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline MotoMegalomaniac

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2021, 02:32:35 PM »
Excellent advice all (except you Tex, although I'll still drink a beer with you if given the opportunity!  :grin:)

I already have a tire kit and a few tools but sounds like not too much else I need to purchase from the sound of it.  Maybe I'll grab an extra tube to go along with the patch ​kit.

I'll for sure keep the thread alive here as I make the journey.  The plan is to work during the day and then hit the road by about 2pm to run for around 5-600 miles per day.  First stop will be around Boise on 7/14.  Second stop in Provo, UT 7/15, and then from Provo on a longer day down to Blanca, CO on 7/16 when I have the day off.  Then we'll climb until the afternoon of 7/22, returning on the same approx. schedule.  Should get a chance to play in the dirt as well as a lot of highway miles.

Again, I appreciate the feedback from the Guzzi vets here! 
2013 Aprilia Shiver 750
2013 Honda CB500X
2020 V85TT Adventure

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2021, 03:13:43 PM »
Maybe I should elaborate on my post where I said “this happens frequently” as far as “breakdowns”.
I wasn’t in no way referring to any issues with your particular bike, just in general such as  flat tires, minor accidents or other common issues that can occur with any motorcycle, leaving one stranded while out on the road. 👍

I hope you have tubeless tires, a Stop and Go Plug Kit and a small air compressor that you can connect to the bike.  Tools, water, sun screen, aspirin, cell phone, nav/maps, tank bag, rain gear, are must haves.  I think we have a thread about travel essentials that might give good suggestions.   

Tubeless tires will reduce risk for sure.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2021, 06:15:39 PM »
OK, I was a little harsh. My main squeeze just returned from a 4,890 solo mile ride to the National in NH so your 800 mile ride is...

And I fail to realize that not all riders are confident or adventurous to ride to the county line. When I used to co-host the old Pilgrimage to Italy (Texas) some Guzzi riders met at the Guzzi dealership in Ft. Worth and rode together to Italy, TX (68 miles)

Sure there are a million things that could happen on your ride to SLC.

But you could have a GOOD TIME and that is the most important thing.

No beer, but you can treat me to a cup of coffee in Portland as I need an interpreter up there.

Enjoy the ride,
Tex

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2021, 07:51:50 PM »

The plan is to work during the day and then hit the road by about 2pm to run for around 5-600 miles per day.   

So ... most hotel check outs are 11am, how are you going to work until 2?  Coffee shop? 

A 5-600 mile day is a looooonnnnnnnnnng day.   We did a car trip recently, on road around 8am, next hotel around 5-6pm, and that was 550 ish miles a day.   And we stopped for gas/restroom/food whenever we felt like it, but not goofing off during the day.  So leaving at 2pm, going 600 miles, arriving next hotel around midnight??

Also, any way to get up to ~900 miles on the bike before the trip, do the first service, then take then trip?   And I'd rather do the first service a wee bit early than a lot later.  So even 750 - 800 miles and do first service.
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline MotoMegalomaniac

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2021, 08:18:45 PM »
Yeah it'll make for a couple longish days but I do a few 6hr rides a month during the summer on a regular basis so I'm comfortable with that distance.  I have pretty good flex on the lodgings since I plan to just pack a hammock and find a few trees for my overnights.  If I want to go lux I'm lifetime Platinum with Marriott so I can get a room easy and get check-out at 3pm, no questions asked.

As for the work, I plan to be the stinky guy in the corner of the closest Starbucks for a couple workdays.  Having some flex in my work schedule is convenient too so I can make that work.  I'm sure they won't mind so long as I keep buying more tea (I don't drink coffee). 

The only dealer in the PDX area is up in Seattle so I'm going to try and get the first service end of this week if I can get in there, so hopefully set there too.
At this point I think the only things I plan to pick-up that I don't have are some tubes just in case.

Once I get all the gear on I'll have to get a picture uploaded.  Last time I did one of these I took my Aprilia (Shiver) up to Mt Adams for a summit hike and, well it looked ridiculous with a big backpack strapped to it , but it worked a charm!
2013 Aprilia Shiver 750
2013 Honda CB500X
2020 V85TT Adventure

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2021, 09:58:54 PM »
What year is your bike?  I noticed on the 2021s they moved the O2 sensor up closer to the exhaust outlet than it was on the 2020s.

If the sensors were heat soaked from the temps and sun, while the engine was comparatively cold, the fueling mixture might have been off a little bit maybe.  ???
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2021, 10:13:52 PM »
Also, any way to get up to ~900 miles on the bike before the trip, do the first service, then take then trip?   And I'd rather do the first service a wee bit early than a lot later.  So even 750 - 800 miles and do first service.
This is a good point.  I did my second service just before riding to New Hampshire.  It was nice to know the valves are within spec.  I suspect (but I don't really know) that valves will fall farther out of spec at the first service than any after- as the valves bed in.  But I don't know what materials are used nowadays, so I could just be a worry-wart. 
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2020 R1250RS

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2021, 11:09:40 PM »
 MotoMegalomaniac

Its been my experience that sometimes a milder speed make the wear and tear on my body  a lot more pleasant ride , so I can ride longer and enjoy the days a little bit more .   Especially on the second and third days .
The bike will do just great , your body is what will be needy .   If you don't have a cup holder then get one.   If you don't have a seat "buddy" of some kind then get one. 
I carry one of those "Slime" tire kits from walmart.   That green stuff really works and the little air compressor is a good thing to have.   Fact is I haven't had a flat since I started adding 4 ozs in the tube before even having a flat.   It will  constantly balance the tires too.   :wink:
Odds are you'll help someone else with your flat-kit unless your following a roofing company truck !  :laugh:

Show us a picture of your bike set-up .   

I've only got about 400 miles on it so far. 
Hay shouldn't your bike be past the "Break-in" stage before you take it on a high speed torcher test across the blazing sands ?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 11:28:01 PM by MMRanch »
2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline MotoMegalomaniac

• New Egg
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2021, 09:05:15 PM »
OK.  Revised plan (sort of).

Looks like I'll not get the bike in for first service before I go so I'm going to do the service myself.  I ordered the filter kit from AF1 so should have that in a couple days.  I'm going to pound-out as many miles as I can between now and around the 13th when I'll do the service.  Should have me ready for a 7/15 departure.  I set-up the Zumo as well and saw that (as others mentioned) the speedo is around 6mph optimistic at 70mph, so that gives me a little buffer.  Should also have a set of Motec lights installed by this weekend if I end-up riding into the night at all.

Also ordered tubes and wheel sockets from AF1 so that'll go into the toolkit.
Starting to get excited!
2013 Aprilia Shiver 750
2013 Honda CB500X
2020 V85TT Adventure

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2021, 09:24:43 PM »
There is not much to the first service- change the oil, the oil filter and set the valves.  I would suggest changing the transmission and final drive oil as well, even though they will be in good shape.   Just in case there is some swarf (metal parts) from manufacture.   Check the air filter...it will be fine also unless you drive through forest fires or oil refineries. 

Valves on the V85 are super, super easy.  The gasket is even a rubber ring!  I am really searching for criticism here-  and the only things I can come up with is that it is kind of fussy to get the valve cover out of the way when the tank is left in place, and that the three valve cover bolts...two of them are recessed so there could be dirt in them (blow them out with air before loosening).  That's it.  Oh,  guess it would be nice to have a flywheel inspection port for TDC but that isn't a big deal.
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2020 R1250RS

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2021, 12:27:23 AM »
Be sure to meet up with the Oregon and Washington Moto Guzzi clubs. They are both great for meetups and rides. Deep Forest campout is coming up Friday in Randall Washington . http://www.orguzzi.org/. Enjoy your trip.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 12:30:11 AM by Matteo »
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2021, 12:59:02 AM »
What year is your bike?  I noticed on the 2021s they moved the O2 sensor up closer to the exhaust outlet than it was on the 2020s.

If the sensors were heat soaked from the temps and sun, while the engine was comparatively cold, the fueling mixture might have been off a little bit maybe.  ???

I was gonna say it sounded like excessive tank pressure and/or EVAP soak purge on startup.

Either way all possible from sitting in hot sun for a bit.

Nothing to worry about as long as it went away.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2021, 09:33:47 AM »
the only thing I'd bring is a set of tubes. Patches don't always stick and finding a tube in BFE won't be easy.

Sounds like a good idea to me, after the first day of my first long trip on my V85TT! Spot the roofing nail.  This was a major hassle to resolve and it was indeed in BFE, 60 miles from the nearest motorcycle shop.  Luckily they did have the right tube in stock.

I am BTW getting BIG variations in fuel consumption depending on (it seems) altitude, speed, headwind and air temperature.  Average fuel consumption per tank varying from 32 to 52 mpg.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 09:42:24 AM by Tusayan »

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2021, 04:52:40 PM »
Forget what the dash says. Calculate by brain.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 04:53:58 PM by Vagrant »
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2021, 10:01:25 AM »
when fully loaded, and especially in a head or cross wind, my computer shows very low, such as 35 to 42 mpg.  However, when I get to the pump, it still gets about 50 mpg.  I try to ignore the computer on a trip but it is hard not to get nervous.
Blue Guzz

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2021, 06:18:11 PM »
Always nice to have a good long road trip.

Just enjoy it is the main thing.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2021, 09:23:59 PM »
when fully loaded, and especially in a head or cross wind, my computer shows very low, such as 35 to 42 mpg.  However, when I get to the pump, it still gets about 50 mpg.  I try to ignore the computer on a trip but it is hard not to get nervous.

I certainly saw the effect of a headwind.  In a stiff 20-30 mph direct headwind for about 100 miles at 75 mph or so, the computer was showing about 27 mpg in real time.  The average for the tank was 32 mpg by either the computer or manual calculation.

Conversely at 40-50 mph, no wind and little braking the average was 61 mpg for the first hundred miles of the tank, after which the pace picked up a little so 56 mpg for the whole tank. It’s not an aerodynamic bike and if you try pushing it to high airspeed, you pay in fuel consumption.  Otherwise it gets great mileage.

I just returned from a roughly 1000 mile round trip, fully loaded and two up.   The wheels may get swapped for tubeless when you can get them but even with that in mind it’s an excellent bike, I’ll probably be riding it for years.  It just works: terrific handling, great brakes, light controls, quality construction, plenty enough power and super simple to maintain. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 09:30:39 PM by Tusayan »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here