Author Topic: Fortnine puts out another Harley video.  (Read 3540 times)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Fortnine puts out another Harley video.
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2021, 05:36:05 PM »
It's always been easier to critique than to create. I can't get enough of Ryan's videos especially when he brings his Physics undergrad and chalkboard explanations to the show

His review of the 1250GS was sublime and will have you in stitches (especially the Heisenberg uncertainty joke) - pure comic genius.

It's no coincidence that his style emulates that of JC from Top Gear (before he got fired by the BBC) which was THE most successful motoring show in the world shown all around the globe to hundreds of millions of viewers .

Sorry but Clarkson is a bigot and egotist.  His whole shtick was done by Car & Driver magazine 30 years earlier. 

The Fort9 kid does his own thing, quite a bit more cerebral and scientific and isn't personally offensive.  I don't think the kid has attacked anyone or been fired for it either. 

I'll say BS and poor comparison.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2021, 06:49:31 PM »
Fort9 blows 95% of the other moto content on youtube out of the water...  for every Ryan, there are 300 accounts, idiots like yamanoob who ride a bike for 6 months and then start pumping out terrible content and fawning over any company that will send them a free pair of gloves
[/s]

Fixed :thumb:
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2021, 06:51:06 PM »
Fort9 blows 95% of the other moto content on youtube out of the water...  for every Ryan, there are 300 accounts, idiots like yamanoob who ride a bike for 6 months and then start pumping out terrible content and fawning over any company that will send them a free pair of gloves

Well said!  For every Ryan there are 100 idiots with a YouTube channel posing as experts. As one of my mentors always said “you don’t know what you don’t know” yet so many commentators and critics actually believe they are an authority on something. I spent 40 years in business dealing with architectural critics who never ran a practice or signed their name to a project, I used to think of them sex therapists who didn’t know any women!
Food critics fall into the same category.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2021, 07:03:04 PM »
It's been a couple of days but I don't recall anyone telling him what to do. I just recall those of us who sometimes take issue with his methods or conclusions.

I've always said the production value is excellent and I generally like the videos despite not always agreeing.

You don't agree any implied "stay in your lane'?  Whatever.  Most likely beat to death anyway.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 07:03:55 PM by kingoffleece »
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2021, 07:03:04 PM »

Offline BobtheBuilder

• New Egg
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2021, 07:14:30 PM »
"Sorry but Clarkson is a bigot and egotist." - seems to be the recipe for success these days

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2021, 07:29:37 PM »

You don't agree any implied "stay in your lane'?  Whatever.  Most likely beat to death anyway.

Confused? Maybe I'm not remembering a post and it doesn't seem worth it to re-read so I'll take your word.

Again I think my position is clear. Great videos, awesome production, don't always agree with his "scientific" method or conclusions but that's fair.

My point was that I can certainly feel that way without any desire to try and do better. It's not my media or jam.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 08:26:27 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2021, 08:36:38 PM »
One does not need to be a chef to decide if a dish is disagreeable.  :violent1:
[/quote

Correct, but any fool can simply be a critic. It's one of the laziest things people do. Therefore, those throwing stones should at least put up a constructive point or they are simply being lazy critics and not worth being listened to. YMMV.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2021, 08:53:31 PM »
One does not need to be a chef to decide if a dish is disagreeable.  :violent1:

Correct, but any fool can simply be a critic. It's one of the laziest things people do. Therefore, those throwing stones should at least put up a constructive point or they are simply being lazy critics and not worth being listened to. YMMV.

Ok, so I had a moment and I went back to see what's been posted.

I can only see Peraz (which I guess fits your objection) and myself (who I feel doors not fit your objection as I've put up contradictive points both this time and in other posts of his videos).

So "those" = Peraz and shouldn't be plural, no?

* Shrugs *

Edit - unless you're talking about Bulwnkl who, like me, said he enjoys, but said some of his claims are false but didn't give examples???
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 08:58:21 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2021, 09:16:58 PM »
"Sorry but Clarkson is a bigot and egotist." - seems to be the recipe for success these days

I can't argue with that. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2021, 09:45:21 PM »

Sorry but Clarkson is a bigot and egotist.  His whole shtick was done by Car & Driver magazine 30 years earlier. 

The Fort9 kid does his own thing, quite a bit more cerebral and scientific and isn't personally offensive.  I don't think the kid has attacked anyone or been fired for it either. 

I'll say BS and poor comparison.

You could place those labels on anyone including yourself.  As soon as you take a stance on anything, you are potentially antagonistic toward a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline BobtheBuilder

• New Egg
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2021, 10:02:25 PM »
"As one of my mentors always said “you don’t know what you don’t know” yet so many commentators and critics actually believe they are an authority on something"

It's called the Dunning-Kruger effect (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect) - I used to meet it all the time amongst my students

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2021, 10:08:30 PM »
You could place those labels on anyone including yourself.  As soon as you take a stance on anything, you are potentially antagonistic toward a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.

Hardly.  But speak for yourself.  I've never been reprimanded at work for ethnic slurs or been fired for punching a coworker. 
John L 

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2021, 06:05:11 AM »
Hardly.  But speak for yourself.  I've never been reprimanded at work for ethnic slurs or been fired for punching a coworker.

So, what were you fired for? 

I'm only speaking from the definition of the word you used.  But, thanks for clarifying and escalating his infractions to a higher level.  OK.  I've never seen the show, and only know of the person from some youtube videos of celebrities driving around a timed track.   

2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2021, 06:19:23 AM »

Ok, so I had a moment and I went back to see what's been posted.

I can only see Peraz (which I guess fits your objection) and myself (who I feel doors not fit your objection as I've put up contradictive points both this time and in other posts of his videos).

So "those" = Peraz and shouldn't be plural, no?

* Shrugs *

Edit - unless you're talking about Bulwnkl who, like me, said he enjoys, but said some of his claims are false but didn't give examples???

I was out after watching his video' on tire plug methods and his ultra scientific method of pushing a stick into the plug as a matrix of how good it sealed or stayed put. Also there was a video where he showed how tires deflect when cornering. In his artist rendition he shoes the contact side of the tire deflecting in the direction of the turn as expected but he also shoes the top of the tire deflecting in the opposite direction as in counter deflection.

His opinion which tries to portray as fact of variable valve timing is just that and opinion. Lots of his stuff is tweaked to fit his rational on how things work.

I agree with KevM that production is good, topics are good and Ryan is entertaining but then it falls short with factual content and scientific backup. Ichiban motorcycle videos are also entertaining and at least he knows he's full of it.
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2021, 07:14:10 AM »
Seriously.  NOT to be argumentative.  How do you KNOW a tire does not deflect as a reaction to forces in another area of that tire?  Educate me.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2021, 11:01:18 AM »
So, what were you fired for? 

I'm only speaking from the definition of the word you used.  But, thanks for clarifying and escalating his infractions to a higher level.  OK.  I've never seen the show, and only know of the person from some youtube videos of celebrities driving around a timed track.

I wasn't fired, Clarkson was.  He slugged a producer because he was late for dinner and the restaurant kitchen was closed.   This was after recording several slurs on Top Gear over the years.  I can only consider his two cohorts, although likeable and more tolerant, were enablers or wanted to keep their toasts' buttered. 

At any rate, the Fort9 kid just doesn't invite the comparison other than testing motor related products and having strong opinions.
John L 

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2021, 11:26:28 AM »
Well said!  For every Ryan there are 100 idiots with a YouTube channel posing as experts. As one of my mentors always said “you don’t know what you don’t know” yet so many commentators and critics actually believe they are an authority on something. I spent 40 years in business dealing with architectural critics who never ran a practice or signed their name to a project, I used to think of them sex therapists who didn’t know any women!
Food critics fall into the same category.

I use youtube as a resource daily for how-to info on everything from felling problem trees to threading a sewing machine...  I am always shocked by how many 'How-To' videos start out with the vlogger saying "I've never done this before" "Ive never used one of these before" or "I think this is how it's done, if you know a better way, leave it in the comments".  Dude or dudette, I am watching your video because you presented yourself as an expert... not to see a neophyte struggle thru something I can figure out myself!
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2021, 12:18:45 PM »
Seriously.  NOT to be argumentative.  How do you KNOW a tire does not deflect as a reaction to forces in another area of that tire?  Educate me.

Here's a whole lot of reading and a video on lateral tire slip

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjpq9r7yeXxAhUcFFkFHT4eBrEQtwJ6BAgGEAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fracingcardynamics.com%2Fracing-tires-lateral-force%2F&usg=AOvVaw10YAexGbMi9nvsI9yMl_xI

2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline BobtheBuilder

• New Egg
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2021, 12:23:50 PM »
easy to post a google search result - do you want to explain it to us, so that we know what a Tool Ryan is

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2021, 01:09:23 PM »
easy to post a google search result - do you want to explain it to us, so that we know what a Tool Ryan is

Even easier to watch Ryan and believe everything he states is gospel. Prove Ryan isn't a tool. I mean things like poking a stick in tire testing method is extremely scientific.
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2021, 01:42:16 PM »
It may not be scientific, but that doesn't mean it's not a good indication of how secure or not a tire fix might be.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline BobtheBuilder

• New Egg
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2021, 02:05:39 PM »
"Even easier to watch Ryan and believe everything he states is gospel. Prove Ryan isn't a tool. I mean things like poking a stick in tire testing method is extremely scientific."

I'll take that as a NO then - you're not prepared to explain the slip angle theory to us. You simply expect us to accept your superior knowledge of the subject. As an engineer and educator myself for the last 35 years, what Ryan does is awesome. He takes complicated theory, science and math and distills it down into something that your average "joe" can understand. Yes sometimes that means giving his own interpretation of the "Hard stuff" which by necessity gets "dumbed down" a little for the intended audience. Your criticism of him being a "tool" is that his explanations are not technical or scientific enough, yet when asked for your take on this, you post a cheap Google search result to something littered in advanced physics and math (which any fool can find with a click of mouse) and expect it to vindicate your assertions without further input from you. Who is the bigger tool I ask? You made the asertion Ryan is a Tool, it's not for anyone else to prove that he isn't - jeezzzz
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 02:06:48 PM by BobtheBuilder »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2021, 02:06:19 PM »
Even easier to watch Ryan and believe everything he states is gospel. Prove Ryan isn't a tool. I mean things like poking a stick in tire testing method is extremely scientific.

Are you calling the Push Gauge a stick?  Really? 

Are you upset because you sprang for the most expensive mushroom plugs on the advise of the cute girl at the motorcycle shop? 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2021, 03:21:05 PM »
Are you calling the Push Gauge a stick?  Really? 

Are you upset because you sprang for the most expensive mushroom plugs on the advise of the cute girl at the motorcycle shop?

:rolleyes:
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2021, 07:01:07 AM »
He’s sometimes educational (if you buy his point of view on a given subject), funny, VERY well produced, and ALWAYS entertaining.  Having heaped this praise upon him you’d think I hold the guy in esteem, but I enjoy his vids sometimes more, sometimes less than the majority of other YouTube bike floggers that I personally follow.  This is almost always due to the very same reasons many find him so enjoyable, that is, he puts so much of himself in his vids.  It can get pedantic and a little obnoxious.  His mere opinion is often presented as fact or something you too should be convinced about when really at its heart - despite his often lengthy and well researched arguments - is just his opinion.  Because of all this, I actually find his literal bike reviews to be near useless to me because they are so slanted in opinion from the get go which is interesting because he openly criticizes other floggers as being biased and fakers.  I’m sure his angle in bike reviews is exactly why a lot of people appreciate them, “he’s a straight shooter” they might legitimately say.  But again, I enjoy his vids overall and hey, I even recently bought a couple Roadsport tires based upon his review of them. 
2020 T120 Bonneville

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here