Author Topic: Should I remap my 2017 V7iii?  (Read 872 times)

Offline CanBike

• New Egg
Should I remap my 2017 V7iii?
« on: July 14, 2021, 10:28:34 PM »
I recently purchased a 2017 V7 with 30k km (18.5k Miles) It's all stock (except the fuel filter) and was impeccably maintained by the PO and I'm enjoying the bike very much. Having said that, I do have a few comments / questions and wonder if any of them could be solved with an updated map, maybe from Beetle / GuzziDiag?

- The throttle feels snatchy, and a bit sensitive to inputs, even at cruising speed. This is not helped by the poor front suspension, that chatters the bars, and makes holding the throttle in position a bit tricky. (plus slow speed herky jerky happens as well if I'm not super careful on the throttle.)

- The engine vibes pretty good between 90-105 KMPH while in top gear. I can shift around it, but sometimes I don't want to work so hard.

- If I get a bit lazy through the shift, the engine braking really draws the engine down, then there is a jerk when throttling back up. I can finesse this mostly out, but sometimes when I'm tired, I'm less precise.

- the midrange grunt seems a bit more peaky and narrow than I imagined. Like it's too lean for too long, then good, then lean again at the top. But maybe it's all in my head or I'm describing this incorrectly?

I do adore the lazy CV carb on my DR650 (now that I've got it sorted) so going between a CV carb and FI is not helping the experience. The longer I stay away from my DR, the better the FI feels on the V7. But I do love the V7 and hope to get it all sorted out. I think the bike is certainly worth the effort.

I wonder if there has been a map developed that's "better" than the factory 2017 map?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 05:01:26 PM by CanBike »

Offline Off @ 90

• Heron Head Heretic.
  • New Egg
Re: Should I remap my 2017 V7iii?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 11:50:46 PM »
Hi,
Sounds like you are slogging it a bit .Sixth gear on my V7 Mk2 is happy only above 105 km/hr certainly above 4000rpm .I use 5th on the roads around here most of time. A (Beetle) map may be beneficial on MK3 .On my Mk2 was a big improvement below 4000 rpm especially and quick warm up . I found forks under sprung and underdamped. Improved by installing 10mm spacers and using 10 Wt oil. Hope this is helpful
Duncan

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 06:10:02 AM »
Yes, there is a better map available:  http://griso.org

It addresses all of your concerns.  It'll never be "CV lazy" but the Beetle map does give noticeable drivability improvements. 

Tim

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 09:09:03 AM »
You can also get a "Throttle Tamer," which is a replacement throttle tube that helps with the on/off snatchiness at low speeds. Check the reviews, most are favorable.

Rich A

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 09:09:03 AM »

elvisboy77

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 04:02:17 PM »
NO.  Considering how bad you think it is, bad suspension, bad fueling etc, why in the world did you buy it?  Serious question
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 04:03:28 PM by elvisboy77 »

Offline CanBike

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 05:57:06 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I do slog the bike a bit and likely could do a better job of keeping it in a happier rev range, but sometimes I'm just lazy. :)

I actually love the bike. Suspension and fuelling seem like pretty common issues for all sorts of bikes that people really enjoy. Sometimes, things just need a bit of sorting out. It's part of the fun. It's all good.

Offline guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2021, 11:29:56 AM »
I had a throttle tamer on my previous Griso and I liked it. I am still working on smoothing out the current Griso, an '07.

It was very snatchy and I found that taking the slack out of the throttle cables made a big difference. I removed slack until turning the bars made it rev at idle and then backed off.

I am a big believer in Beetle maps as well. An inexpensive mod that really works.
If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here