Author Topic: Headed out  (Read 1631 times)

Offline nwguy

• Gosling
    • Jim Gallant's home page
Headed out
« on: September 07, 2021, 09:22:27 AM »
Headed to the Guzzi rally in Fossil, OR this morning. Will ride a few days in western OR (weather looks stellar), visiting the flight museum in McMinnville, OR on my way there. Then will head to Ketchum, ID to rendezvous with a friend who's doing some hiking in the area. Then on to NW Wyoming via an undetermined route to ride Chief Joseph Scenic Hwy and Beartooth Hwy. At that point I may head down to Boulder, CO to see my son and ride some twisty CO roads that I didn't get around to riding last time I was there. No particular schedule or deadline to return home. Travel sized ukulele strapped to my Norge. Last big ride of the year. Will post pics.

Current:  08 Norge, 06 Suzuki Burgman, 06 Yamaha Morphous

Past:  3 Buell Lightnings, 02 BMW R1150RS
05 Ducati Multistrada, First gen Kawasaki Concours, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, 02 Honda ST110, Aprilia Falco, Suzuki VX800, Yamaha Radian, Suzuki TS185, Yamaha RD400

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Headed out
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 09:30:25 AM »
Sounds like a great time.
Enjoy mate!
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 09:45:44 AM »
I look forward to the pictures, have a great trip.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 09:55:16 AM »
I guess you’re not coming through the NC mountains again this time🤔😂👍

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 09:55:16 AM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 03:32:08 PM »
Egg sellent.. :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2021, 08:04:10 PM »
Highway 218 between Fossil and Shaniko is one of the best motorcycle roads I've ever ridden. 

Offline twowings

• Gosling
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 09:18:01 PM »
is this your first Chief Joseph experience? I envy you in any event.  :cool:
Team Corse dal Delerium all'Oblivion
Moto Guzzi - 100 Anni Di Autentica Passione

Offline nwguy

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 06:19:37 PM »
Ridden Shaniko to Fossil many times, Chief Joseph last spring.

Having a nice IPA at the Golden Valley  Brewing Co. in McMinnville, OR after spending a few hours in the Evergreen Aviation Museum. It’s the one where Howard Hugh’s Spruce Goose lives. You gotta see it to believe it. It’s divided into the “aviation” and “space” parts. I thought I might be less interested in the space part, but I was wrong. The exhibits on early rocket pioneers, Titan rocket, SR71, Soviet crafts, Soviet landers, X-series craft and helecopters were fantastic. Got to see some of my favorite airplanes, the PBY Catalina and the ME262. There’s even a water slide park with a slide coming out of a rooftop 747!

Yesterday was close to a perfect day of motorcycling. Did about 350 miles, 99.9% on 2 lane backroads. Many, very, very twisty backroads. NC’s Tail of the Dragon doesn’t have much over Oregon’s rte 47 from Clatskenai to Mist. I was scraping something on the left side a lot. I’ve cut down the center stand rubber bushing, so maybe it was the side stand. Will need to look into buffing up my rear shock when I get home. Anyway it was so good I turned around on the summit and went back down to the 500’ level for a do-over. Almost no traffic, beautiful pavement, endless, linked 20-30mph rated turns, all in 11 miles just like Tail of the Dragon. Other highlights (if you’re in the area) include OR 103 between Mist and Elsie, Delameter Rd. between Castle Rock, WA and Stella, WA, Miami-Foley Rd. Between Mohler, OR and Tillamook, and West Side Hwy between Vader, WA and Castle Rock.

My plan was to take the ferry from Clatskenai, WA over the Oregon side, then make my way down to Tillamook to buy groceries for dinner. I did, and then headed up the road between beaver and Carlton to find a campsite. Found a great site with nice neighbors alongside a beautiful little river. Had a little scotch, played a little ukulele, dinner then bed.

Woke to a beautiful morning and headed up the beaver Carlton road but found it was closed and backtracked to a detour. Fantastic single Lane paved forest service road with no traffic. Left the low coastal mountains and entered the vineyards and farmlands around McMinnville Oregon.

Not sure where I'll end up tonight. It's mid-afternoon and I may stay on the coast tonight.

05 Ducati Multistrada, First gen Kawasaki Concours, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, 02 Honda ST110, Aprilia Falco, Suzuki VX800, Yamaha Radian, Suzuki TS185, Yamaha RD400

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2021, 06:28:19 PM »
Great review MG friend!
Thanks for the great pictures and a description of the day. Be safe and enjoy every minute 👍

Dan

Offline Napoleanblownapart

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2021, 07:00:01 PM »
You may wanna try Tuggs 'N Chuggs, jus' sayin'...it could be an adventure : :wink:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 07:01:18 PM by Napoleanblownapart »
...Carpe Cajones

1968 Greeves 36MX4 twin port, 1974 Bultaco Alpina 350, 1984 Moto Guzzi V65SP, 2001 Guzzi v11 sport, 2004 Guzzi V11 Sport, 2002 Ducati St4, 2008 Buell 1125R, 2017 KTM 1090R, 2020 Benelli TNT 135, ...

Offline nwguy

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2021, 01:39:46 PM »
Had a great time at the rally in Fossil. Did a 250 mile loop with my friend John after taking a day off due to rain. First rain in months for that area. Good food, drink and people. Left there yesterday  morning and made it to a nice campground near Lowman, ID via Unity, WA and Ontario, ID. Send they allow camp fires in ID. Crazy. Now in Ketchum killing time while I wait to rendezvous with a friend and maybe go hiking tomorrow. I decided to head home after this rather than heading to W

OR rte 242

Again.

Pot plants in OR. Never seen such a big grow operation.

Friend John in center. Frank the ring leader on left.

Party time around the propane fire pit.

Banks Lowman Rd. iD.

Last night's campsite.

Sawtooth mountains.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 02:02:32 PM by nwguy »

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2021, 04:13:43 PM »
Those pot plants are most likely hemp. Farmers in my county wanted to grow hemp, sheriff's department put up major roadblocks so next to none is being grown. The alfalfa market here has dropped substantially so they were looking for something else to produce. One of the growers here is growing hemp in Idaho.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline nwguy

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2021, 04:15:53 PM »
Interesting. Still pretty stinky stuff.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2021, 04:18:55 PM »
Your Norge looks great.
Is she behaving herself ? I like the look with the fairing lowers off.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2021, 04:25:24 PM »
 :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline twowings

• Gosling
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2021, 08:44:38 PM »
Looks like fantastic riding! 
My Norge is now officially jealous.  :grin:

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2021, 08:49:03 PM »
You ever make it to the Medicine Wheel?
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline nwguy

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2021, 08:53:25 AM »
Norge is doing well except for the moment my bath and dish towels went under my back wheel at 75mph. The were drying and the bunjie slipped. Felt like I ran over something significant. I stopped to check and found my shredded bath towel and dish towel on the road. Took me about 20 minutes to pull the shredded bunjie out of the center of the back wheel. All ok though. Will need a new front tire after this.

Never been to the medicine wheel.

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2021, 10:01:11 AM »
The were drying and the bunjie slipped.  Took me about 20 minutes to pull the shredded bunjie out of the center of the back wheel. 

Highly recommend to check out Rok straps as a safer alternative to bungies, Lowryter had a thread on them earlier as well.
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline twowings

• Gosling
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2021, 03:32:27 PM »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2021, 03:42:56 PM »
Cargo net too.   :thumb:

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2021, 03:47:29 PM »
Norge is doing well except for the moment my bath and dish towels went under my back wheel at 75mph. The were drying and the bunjie slipped. Felt like I ran over something significant. I stopped to check and found my shredded bath towel and dish towel on the road. Took me about 20 minutes to pull the shredded bunjie out of the center of the back wheel. All ok though. Will need a new front tire after this.

Never been to the medicine wheel.

https://www.wyohistory.org/encyclopedia/medicine-wheel  map included.

Offline nwguy

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2021, 09:31:03 AM »

My friend Don on a hike just outside of Sun Valley Idaho.

The road north of challis idaho.

Again.

Campsite that night.

Again.

Lolo Pass (rte12 MT) famous for its 99 mi of linked sweepers and the occasional twisties. I think the Norge was made for this road.

Again.

Another Norge owned by Scott, a guy from Tumwater Washington.

Coming into Clarkston Washington.

The spiral highway just outside of Lewiston Idaho. Zoom in and look carefully at this picture. This road is unbelievable.

Again
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 10:06:46 AM by nwguy »

Offline Ryan

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2021, 10:09:36 AM »
Is there a Lolo Pass in every state?

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2021, 10:23:14 AM »
Looks like another great adventure!!
You definitely know how to live the life👍

Offline Iron Cross Junction

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2021, 10:33:59 AM »
Headed to the Guzzi rally in Fossil, OR this morning. Will ride a few days in western OR (weather looks stellar), visiting the flight museum in McMinnville, OR on my way there. Then will head to Ketchum, ID to rendezvous with a friend who's doing some hiking in the area. Then on to NW Wyoming via an undetermined route to ride Chief Joseph Scenic Hwy and Beartooth Hwy. At that point I may head down to Boulder, CO to see my son and ride some twisty CO roads that I didn't get around to riding last time I was there. No particular schedule or deadline to return home. Travel sized ukulele strapped to my Norge. Last big ride of the year. Will post pics.

Looks like another great adventure!!
You definitely know how to live the life👍

Yes, indeed.

And, nwguy, apologies if you've posted before and I missed it, what is the bag you have on the back of your saddle?

I got in last night from a minor romp compared to yours ... top of Virginia to Tellico Plains and Hiawassee, Georgia.  Four days of back roads almost the whole way, with Kathi -- who caged it down -- on the back while riding in the area.  Great fun. 

My Norge (an '07 with 85K miles) ran like a champ the whole time.  Did have to find header nuts at the ACE Hardware in Robbinsville, N.C., as mine on the r/s went AWOL somewhere in the area.   :rolleyes:

Bill

Bill Hagan

Proud Member of Moto Guzzi's Envy-of-the-Industry Post-Sale R&D Program!

1998 V11 EV [98 EV]
2004 V11 Ballabio, Sold; sigh
2007 Norge [NORJ], Sold; sigh
2010 Griso [GRISO]
2016 Stornello [BEATA]
2017 V7 III [RADOŚĆ]

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2021, 01:47:50 PM »
Lolo Pass....nice long sweepers  Great pavement. 

Spiral Highway....more technical of a ride with hairpins but loads of fun on good pavement.  Use to be the old way down to Lewiston, ID, the hill to the river before State 95 was upgraded.  https://roadsnw.com/rnw/15   :thumb: :thumb:  Has vids too.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 01:50:54 PM by Tom »

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2021, 02:34:49 PM »
If you go the opposite direction out Clarkson towards Enterprise you will go over Rattlesnake Pass, another great ride. After Broken Arrow we go over Lolo and then take Rt 129 over Rattlesnake which turns into Rt 3 in Oregon.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2021, 03:20:03 AM »
Wandering is the most pleasant form of travel.
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline nwguy

• Gosling
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2021, 04:23:48 AM »
Yeah I've been down Rattlesnake Pass a few times, fantastic!

Front tire definitely needs replacing.

basalt columns in the Columbia basin wildlife refuge.

Guess it was my side stand that was scraping.

Chicken strips, not too bad for a Norge.

Drumheller Channels.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here