Author Topic: Buying a helmet in Germany...  (Read 540 times)

Online Anomaly

• Gosling
  • Location: Southern Tuscany (mostly), Rhode Island (sometimes)
Buying a helmet in Germany...
« on: October 01, 2022, 04:48:36 AM »
Funny thing happened when I acquired my 1981 T3 California - my wife, who had previously supported all my motorcycle (mis) adventures, but shown no particular interest in riding, suddenly expressed an interest in 2-up trips. But she needed a helmet... Given the difficulties some have reported here (shops with little stock on hand and/or limits on trying-before-buying), I wasn't particularly confident that finding a helmet for her was going to be a pleasant experience. But we're in Germany at the moment for a memorial service and on a lark, I Googled "Moto ships in Offenburg"-- hey, there's a Louis branch 4 minutes away from us!

Wow! Two walls lined with helmets, balaclavas for size-fitting, and most models with complete size ranges to choose from. Walked out with a nice Caberg full-face helmet.

1981 T3 California, 1983 Piaggio Apecar P2
Sold: 98 BMW F650, 2012 v7 Classic

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Buying a helmet in Germany...
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 06:50:44 AM »
Try that in our neck of the woods and you will be sorely disappointed. Very little selection, and no wonder.  Everyone buys on the internet and the dealers have to stock multiple sizes, models and colors just to watch customers try them for fit and buy elsewhere. Same with jackets and pants.  I would love to see a massive riding gear exposition come to the area once a year or so.  I’m so glad you found the right helmet, and also that your wife likes the California. Now go get her some bright Dianese leathers that she knows she looks good in.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Online Anomaly

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2022, 07:05:10 AM »
. Now go get her some bright Dianese leathers that she knows she looks good in.

You are not helping....  :smiley:

Offline LongRanger

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2022, 07:50:53 AM »
I recently did the same thing when shopping for a Schuberth C5. The shop in Germany had an incredible selection but when they quoted EUR 50 to have it shipped to my U.S. residence (I didn’t want to bring it home in my luggage), it was a deal breaker. Glad I walked out because I found the exact helmet online in the Netherlands for over EUR 100 less, with free shipping. It saved me nearly $300 vs buying one in the U.S.
2012 BMW R1200R Classic

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2022, 07:50:53 AM »

Offline Jorg66

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2022, 09:41:45 AM »
" Dont forget ,..... 86 Mill people in such 'small' Country and every 3rd seems to be on a Motorcycle",Lol .Ofcourse there is Selection .
Up here in MB /Cdn. can't complain ,every Store around me [60- 130 Miles] has a decent Selection mith multiple Brands.
'Refuse' to buy Online.   :laugh:
Now 2019 California ,,2018 [ New] V7 III Carbon Dark
Ex  1979 Kreidler Florett, 1980 Z 550 , 1969Nuovo Falcone/ Polizzia,2006 VTX 1300 C ,1982 Honda CB 125 S

Online Anomaly

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2022, 09:42:44 AM »
but when they quoted EUR 50 to have it shipped to my U.S. residence (I didn’t want to bring it home in my luggage), it was a deal breaker.

Sounds like it worked out great for you but in case others find themselves with a similar opportunity, I have never put a helmet in my checked luggage - always just carried it onto the plane in the drawstring bag they come with when new and as a completely excess piece of carry-on luggage and never a problem doing so.

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2022, 10:38:50 AM »
Internet purchasing has not caught on in Germany to the same degree as the US, and the Polo stores (a widespread motorcycle accessory shop chain) and the like continue to exist in quantity.  It’s a curiously old-fashioned country in many ways, another example being that supermarket magazine racks are still filled with print magazines on motorcycles and cars. 

Dainese has its own retail shops in Europe, selling only their own stuff, so a set of leathers shouldn’t be hard to find  :grin: I’d check Polo etc myself because the quality at a given cost is likely to be higher than Dainese.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 10:39:37 AM by Tusayan »

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2022, 01:28:33 AM »
......, I have never put a helmet in my checked luggage - always just carried it onto the plane in the drawstring bag they come with when new and as a completely excess piece of carry-on luggage and never a problem doing so.

Try that with Ryan Air (European joke)  :evil:
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Online Anomaly

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2022, 01:42:08 AM »
Try that with Ryan Air (European joke)  :evil:

Friends don't let friends fly Ryan Air....

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here